Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

api call girl posted:

After reading the last couple posts, Thank God.

I dont think we are serious. I dont know how you could have thought that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

der juicen posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCI0I28HqfQ Main Theme gets me pumped up for next Friday.

That Youtube video picture, that warship just smacks of the Sovereign Enterprise E.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

7thBatallion posted:

Best Star Trek theme, hands down. Suck it TWOK.

Ha. Fffwwtt, it doesn't even hold to the TV show music.

Yes I am an old cranky bastard.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Senor Tron posted:

Overall it's basically more of the same from the last movie. If you liked the first reboot film, then you'll enjoy this one. If you didn't like the previous one then many of the issues from it remain in this one. Worth watching though.

Aww fug. :(

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

quote:

The 2009 film is an outstanding piece of cinema...

I'll never understand this, but, whelp! At least the review makes me more optimistic about the movie. Will check it out next weekend.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Reading that last spoiler is wrong I'd want Leonard Nimoy Spock to go chase Khan down and beat the crap out of him, dragging him back to the Enterprise to save Jim?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Gaz-L posted:

I know I bowed out of discussion, but... am I missing sarcasm here?

That'll lend an idea.

DFu4ever posted:

The climax of 3 when Hunt is rescuing his wife while the bomb in his head is getting ready to go off is absolutely fantastic and is probably my favorite sequences he's done (with the opening scene of Trek 09 being just about as good).

3 and Ghost Protocol were easily the two best of the MI series, both in plot and appearance.

It's funny. I had high hopes for that one. I actually thought they'd have the guts to go through with killing his wife. But then, nope, mask, and then I just felt disappointment. I shouldn't have built it up in my head.

Ghost Protocol was good though.

Gatts fucked around with this message at 21:05 on May 10, 2013

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Surlaw posted:

The Transformers Derail is becoming the new Prometheus Derail. Let's talk about how all Trek is bad and how it sucks that this movie isn't a remake of The One With the Whales instead.

You know what's really bad? Star Trek. I like whales though.

Noooooo! The line must be drawn hey-ah and no further!

I want to say something with regards to the suggestion of discomfort with the Federation using Starfleet, Humanity's/Earth's military department for the purpose of exploration. The notion of having a gun while claiming to come in peace or some such. I'd take it as a suggestion the soldier in the Trek world requires them to think of their own accord and hold higher beliefs or such than rote personnel to achieve a purpose. Take mid TNG Picard. Explorers in the past that were non military sanctioned held weapons as well. Although I suppose messengers not always when declaring to come in Peace. DS9 tested humanity, Starfleet and the Federation, and they faltered. Section 31 shows humanity always had a flaw and that Utopia wasn't. Even in Deep Space 9, Bashir (an engineered man) helps to bring it down if I recall and it is rejected. I dunno, I had a train of thought here that got derailed.

Gatts fucked around with this message at 21:44 on May 10, 2013

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Ivor Biggun posted:

Whales. And nuclear wessels.

I would love a scene where IN THE THROES OF ACTION Kirk and Spock run hard as gently caress in one direction on a busy street to rescue whales and Kirk bumps into Tom Cruise who is running hard as gently caress in the other direction to save the world and they look back at each other and are like

Kirk: "WTF is your problem?!"
Hunt: "Dumbass!"
Kirk: "Well, double dumbass on you!"
Spock: *Vulcan middle finger*
Hunt: *taken aback like a wave of air hit him*

And then they continue in their directions

Gatts fucked around with this message at 13:54 on May 14, 2013

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

monster on a stick posted:

I just realized 72 virgins :cripes:

Did they seriously include this poo poo in the movie? How? Context? Details?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

WastedJoker posted:

Is the Khan/Cumberbatch character a new thing or is he from one of the series? I remember the famous "KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN" thing from Shatner but that was a Klingon not some suped up superhuman

Well that character is from the original 60s series episode Space Seed. Ricardo Montalban played a genetically enhanced human who was superior to regular folk. Basically he was a suped up superhuman. He was defeated by Kirk and crew and exiled to a planet, which was later ravaged by disaster, killing his wife, and then we got the Wrath of Khan in Star Trek II. Watch both if you haven't seen it. Good stuff. Khan is also what lead to the banning of using genetic engineering of that type in the Star Trek universe. It's also addressed in Deep Space 9 related to Julian Bashir's character.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Is it wrong I have this image of Lady Gaga in my head sitting on the captain's chair of the evil ship and saying "Shall we begin." to Kirk's crew leading into Discostick and a dance off?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
The casting and race issue I think is a valid discussion and open to good criticism. I think there is a thread somewhere in CineD that discussed this in a recent time frame. Maybe if desired separate the conversation?

EDIT: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3518139

Gatts fucked around with this message at 17:25 on May 16, 2013

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Comedy option, cast Shah-Rukh Khan. Have a dance sequence in a flashback explaining his origins and rise to power set to modern tunes and include a love story. It'd do mucho business in India.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Ooooo. Who do they cast as Data? Let's go with Terry Crews. He can even move like one. This is an action universe after all.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
As long as everyone is pretty and can get laid. And achieve their dreams like a beautiful butterfly...like kids who want to be cats when they get older...

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Cingulate posted:

I loved the chubby, black, bald woman on the bridge. Just loved her.

Perhaps in some Trek future all the regular looking people including fat people, are culled to make the dilithium crystals that fuel the ships.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

jivjov posted:

Man, I've watched quite a bit of Trek, but I must've missed whatever this was from. In what circumstance does Riker have fake sideburns?

When it's evil Riker. Created from a transporter accident when one Riker was materialized on board the ship but the other remained marooned on a world with a unique atmosphere when the beam signal bounced off and went back to the planet.

Then that Riker was rescued, pursued Troi, went off on his own, joined the Maquis, stole the Defiant (that gif) and eventually got brought to hard justice.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

I said come in! posted:

In Star Trek 09, how come the bad guy didn't just fly to Romulus and warn the planet, once he realized he traveled back in time?

It's a can of worms, man. It's like asking why didn't they just have the Eagles throw the ring into the volcano or fly them there. What I'm saying is I wouldn't mind another "One does not simply..." thread with other movies/media.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Trump posted:

They could just do a Klingon War movie. CGI space ships blowing up in space isn't that expensive.

I want a goof. Like all of a sudden there's a fire fight and the engineer team gets knocked out and Ensign Fuckwit is ordered to do something and he goes "Hey, that's a shiny button!" pushes it and then, like, the warp core ejects and the ship powers down.

Star Trek as a comedy.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
The way the top Trek films work is basically

1. The Wrath of Khan
2. Undiscovered Country
3. The one with the Whales
4. Eeehhh, probably First Contact

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Tequila Bob posted:

Yes, in Star Trek: Nero.

So...like...VGer's just hanging about somewhere and Nero gets all up in its grill?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I think I agree with the notion that Avery Brooks brought a ton to Sisko. When he first started out it wasn't quite as interesting as what he became as the series went on. It kind of had a Shatner vibe of energy to it where he took his character beyond with his performance. The over-acting and ham scenes are brilliant.

I am sad that Siddig didn't get that role but wish kind of wish Bashir didn't turn so grim. He was great as this young, charming, naive doctor who is exceptionally gifted. Although I suppose clashing with the likes of Section 31 and having your history exposed as a genetic augment would do that.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I'm tellin' yah. It should have been Shah Rukh Khan. Heh. Comedy option, Salman and then it would fit in the action scheme of things.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
You know what, I liked it. It's full of flaws like hell and wish for a better overall story but it showed a lively future, the actors knocked it out of the park, had good character moments and interaction to the point I bought the relationships, and it hopefully set the stage for something more adventurous than actiony and hopefully it will get away from Abrams now. There's a lot of crap there too but there's potential for a lot of great stuff now in the hands of a better director. The action feels forced and I'd be happy with a movie full of characters shooting the poo poo and having fun or something.

EDIT: Something original for the next adventure please, don't rehash anything from the original Trek.

Gatts fucked around with this message at 03:10 on May 24, 2013

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Narciss posted:

As much as I like casting individuals that befit the ethnic makeup of their character, I think I'd have real trouble buying an Indian (dot, not feather) as someone who could crush a man's skull with his bare hands. Although Sikhs *are* like 90% of Indian athletes, so it would make a little more sense.

Eh? Like they're a peaceful people or something?

You can't buy that guy as a super man crushing people's skulls?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Nessus posted:

I also appreciated the scene where Khan is running from Spock. On the one hand you have this stylish, sexy man in a trenchcoat, artfully touselled and handsomely white. On the other hand you have this guy with fake ears, and a bowl haircut flopping in the breeze, power-striding in his dorky Star Trek uniform. I felt like that was a comment but I'm not sure if it was saying 'the dorks will always get you in the end' or if it was more akin to 'these ideals are stronger than Benedict Cumberbatch's sexily alienated trenchcoat'. And of course even Spock can't win without the black woman's help.

While I didn't like the fight choreography quite so much, neither quite graceful combat nor chaotic brawl, the great moments were the use of the mind meld and the nerve pinch so some thought was put into it. Even Khan just standing out in the open in one spot while he mows down Klingons over the place was half assed.

And I also noticed what you described. Benedict in costume running the streets of San Fran it was like "This dude runs hard as gently caress but has great form and looks sweet." while Spock was more goofy and effort as heck to keep up. It did seem to insinuate the characters states and perhaps their nature.

Between MI3 and Star Trek, JJ loves his athletic actors running hard as gently caress. Seriously, so much running. There's even the Scotty joke.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
If they go with Picard reboot then let's go ST:ANG (Star Trek: Action New Generation) for this new series. So much action and fast paced things being flung at you that they don't need warp, they all can run to their destination really loving hard wearing warp boots from 1 to 9 and transwarp where freaky stuff goes down.

Jean Luc Picard: Clive Owen, "Diplomatic immunity? It's been revoked. BLAST 'EM TO HELL, ALL WEAPONS!"

William Riker: Bradley Cooper, "Baby I just wanna live the smooth life but I got this responsibility an' poo poo. What up wid dat?"

Data: CG Fulgore from Killer Instinct, "Can I feel? FEEL THIS, BITCHES!" *slice and dice*

Troi: Megan Fox, "Just as useless as before."

Worf: The Rock, "KAPLAH? I'mma gonna turn that sumbitch sideways and kaplah up yo candy rear end!"

Dr. Crusher: Gina Carano, "They call me Dr. Crusher for a reason...I'mma crush you between my thighs!"

LaForge: Idris Elba, "LaForge is a sex machine now, awww yeah. Where them holo-bitches at?"

Wesley Crusher: Basically CG Snarf from Thundercats.

First movie based on Naked Time.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
John Cho is 40. What the gently caress? The dude is like in his late 20s or 30s to me. Still, seems like a cool dude.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Is it wrong to hope for a movie with the cast as old fogies?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
With this cast. I want them as old fogies too.

Possibly with Abrams fast whiz bang paced action direction too to make them more exciting when they stand around.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I don't recall Picard being something of the Bruce Lee of his time. He did go John McClane in First Contact but he's usually taken prisoner fairly easily and has to escape or something. And that one time he did that ops mission and got taken prisoner (THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS). I think the most competent fighter in TNG was pretty much Data.

I'm sure besides the emotional outburst there's something that can be said about a vengeance driven Kirk pounding away uselessly against a genetically enhanced super terrorist that probably represents an idea.

Until DS9 when Worf, Jadzia, Kira, Odo, and Sisko picked up some steam.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
How about a diplomat skilled in known languages and whatnot? Like, starships encounter races and civilizations all the time right? Why wouldn't they have a representative on board at all times? It'd incorporate some of her background and give her some kind of authority too.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Geekboy posted:

Isn't that exactly what she did with the Klingons? I mean, 100%?

Pretty much and that's why I suggest it. Instead of her being a communications type officer, give her some official government backing and raise her profile and whatnot. Instead of her being a cog in the machine reporting to Kirk, have some conflict there where her interests and regulations are at odds with what Kirk wants to do.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I want a race that can only communicate via dance and song. Therefore the crew have to learn all manner of dance, including alien. We could have a dance off and song off, a party dance and song, a peace dance and song, etc.

Like, they beam down to the planet unaware, suddenly we get aliens out nowhere that sing like Jim Carrey in Cable Guy when he's in Medevil Times dancing like out of Step Up 3D. Kirk and Spock are totally outmatched until they observe and learn their ways and dance off and sing off back at them. We find out it is a misunderstanding. And then one alien falls in love with McCoy and expresses it via song and dance and McCoy responds back in a similar manner like a duet. Uhura teaches the crew as she is the linguists expert. Etc.

Gatts fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jun 5, 2013

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Hahaha gently caress yeah!

*pulls out lighter, accidentally incites Holy War

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Not the best example but imagine if the actor that played Mola Ram in Temple of Doom was Khan.

gently caress, imagine if it was played the same way.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
It's also technically inter species. Troi is Betazoid and Worf is Klingon. There were a couple of other interesting episodes, I think one with Riker who fell for an androgynous person of a species with 3 sexes and Picard and a woman trapped on a planet where it turns out the woman was a dude who was projecting an image. Then DS9 had Jadzia and her lover from a former life who was a wife of a host I think. Avery Brooks directed that episode so I'd like to think he got into character and went "KISS with MORE PASSION!"

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

The Warszawa posted:

The Riker episode is a perfect example of what I'm talking about - Frakes apparently wanted the other character to be played by a man, but it got nixed. Star Trek has, often clumsily, thrown itself at a lot of social issues - especially surrounding identity - which is one of the strengths of the franchise. But, of course, they run up against the fact that, as a country, we aren't where we say we are, let alone where we want to be.

I like that there were dudes like Frakes who bought into it and actually seemed to give a crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Crappy Jack posted:

You're telling me ANYBODY could remember the name of Alice Eve's character who didn't have it memorized due to her appearance in Shatner-era stuff?

Tits McGee?

Chesty St. Claire?

Busty McGoo?

Pointless something that won't matter next movie and is already forgotten?

Exploitative poo poo, gently caress the director?

• Locked thread