Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
A few issues from the '09 film arised because they went into production with two different script drafts that clearly altered some of what was going on with regards to Nero and the time travel stuff. So thank you writer's strike.

It falls apart when you look at it too closely but the film just works anyway. While STID has the tighter script it's also incredibly sloppy (Have your overcomplicated conspiracy storyline here) and so utterly concerned with mistaking fan service for actual plot or character development.

Take the name Khan away and it reveals the villain to be the very shallow, vaguely defined character that he is despite the best efforts of Cumberbatch. The WoK reversal is also bullshit, again despite being nicely played because in the original it's two lifelong friends saying goodbye, there's a weight to the scene. In this Kirk and Spock have known eachother for like three years and still don't quite seem to get on as well. So really the scene only exists to remind you of the first time it was done better. It's thoughtless pandering.

I really can't see the sense in rebooting your series so you're free to tell your own stories and then loading it with pointless fan pandering. Particularly since those moments are going to fall flat to anyone who isn't familiar with the original series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

penismightier posted:

I'm glad you said that about the teasers because that obnoxiously coy marketing angle really worked against the film. If they had just given us the plot from the beginning the reveal would've worked much better. I'm anxious to watch this one in a few years out of the shadow of those posters and stuff.

It's JJ Abrams and his 'mystery box' stuff. I get not wanting to spoil things for audiences these days in the age of 'show everything' trailers. But look at Iron Man 3. They genuinely caught people off guard and the reason they did that is by not showing their hand at all. The obnoxious thing about the Abrams stuff is that they WANT you to know there's something they're hiding. It's a tease that doesn't work, more so given that it was obvious a while ago what their big surprise was.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

It would be nice if they'd just give Shatner a cameo just so he could shut the hell up about it.

They wrote a really nice cameo for him in the original film but it ended up being nixed, you can read the scene online though.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

^^^ well you learn something new all the time

Orci is the only writer returning from the previous two films, and he's also a producer on this one. Simon Pegg comes first cause he's one of the stars, and Doug Jung probably did the lion's share of the work on the actual screenplay.

Kind of. Pegg did do the bulk of the writing, he's confirmed in interviews that he wanted to quit a few times until Abrams convinced him otherwise. Orci was booted off long ago (And likely wrote the first draft), the other writers are contractual obligations. Subsequent drafts after Orci were all done by Pegg/Jung.

Again, Orci is just there because of contractual obligations. He essentially poisoned his own relationship with Paramount by scaring them off Joe Cornish and then insisting he direct it himself despite never being behind a camera. He's essentially nuts.

It's not really the dire situation it looks, though I can see why they wanted to flash past that credit quick.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Timby posted:

Payne and McKay worked on Orci's first draft with him -- the draft that got him fired -- which is why they're credited.

Yeah sorry I mean it's why they're all still credited despite the fact they were fired. Usually they'd get a story credit.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Lin spoke to Birth Movies Death about the writer thing and said it's purely a WGA decision. He hadn't actually heard of the other writers and met with Orci briefly.

The way he explains it is that it was his story idea and Pegg/Jung wrote the script. He's not even seen what Orci worked on, so I'm really interested to see if that credit will change (Like the Ed Norton HULK one). It sounds like a condition of his hiring is that he worked from scratch and was allowed to as long as he could make the release date.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Pegg has already said that he didn't much care for the trailer either, if only because it's not at all indicative of what the movie is, so I imagine next year there's going to be a more traditional look (I believe this was specifically cut to play in front of Star Wars).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

For what it's worth, the few impressions that have started to make it out there seem to be pretty positive ones.

• Locked thread