Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Star Trek II 2: Wrath of Wrath of Khan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

lizardman posted:

^Nice of you to articulate your thoughts, ColonelPanic, just watch out because SMG is gonna come in here and tell you "of course it's being disrespectful to Star Trek and its fans, because they deserve to be disrespected they suck and that's why this movie's good" and when he doesn't get an overly defensive response from a Trek fan he will continue trying to bait them with various "This is the only good Star Trek film" comments at a high frequency even though no one bites.

WoooooOOOOOOOOoooooo, SMG is coooomiiiing for yoooouuuu!

Watch out for his asseeeertively-phraaaaaased opinioooooons!

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Pretty sure he means that the film treats Star Trek chiefly as a sensory space/setting in which certain narratives can thrive, rather than as a rigid world to be documented and all its elements measured against established canon.

Tying into the new film, this is why it shouldn't be tripping up anyone's canon alarm that the new Khan doesn't look anything like the old Khan; that's misplacing priorities. The whitewashing is problematic as a social aspect of the current Hollywood system, but not as a contradiction of Star Trek Facts.

Supercar Gautier fucked around with this message at 10:58 on May 4, 2012

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

BrandonGK posted:

My point is it doesn't matter who they got to play Kahn or what his ethnicity is. There'd be nerd rage in any event.

Nerd rage is when someone says "Khan isn't supposed to be white because of CANON".

The grievance here is different. Non-white actors are heavily underrepresented in Hollywood films, and this is yet another opportunity to cast one in a major role being thrown away.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

GORDON posted:

Rational people will know to avoid the "racism" thread, and the rest of us can discuss fun movies without the guilty "white people suck" undertones.

Ahahaha, if you honestly think there's any "white people suck" undertones in this thread, you do not get to call yourself rational.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Clearly the correct answer is Danny Pudi.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Star Trek In2 Darkness

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

To the trailer's detriment, it attempts to imitate the Avengers trailer extremely closely.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Some Other Guy posted:

That's not shaped like the Enterprise at all. It looks more like a shuttle-craft or a science ship or something. I don't really see how you can make out the "17" either.

I think the shape is pretty distinct in motion, and it's kind of insane to claim that could possibly say anything other than NCC-17.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Aside from being faintly visible, is there some other significant Star Trek NCC ship they're going to tease in their Star Trek teaser trailer?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I feel this best represents the contrast between these two competing notions of Star Trek:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnPIPOaRUFg

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Yonic Symbolism posted:

I think it's far more likely a suit will look at the most successful shows on TV and ask for a version of one to be set in space.

House MD in space. It's essentially the same thing, but all the diseases are bizarre made-up alien nonsense.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I know it's important to establish a firm sense of what's possible and avoid making your audience take too many leaps of faith in too many directions, but "A spaceship can't go in water!" is a strange thing to point to as being in any way egregious.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The entire premise of the first film was an elaborate way of establishing "things are allowed to be different now" in a manner acceptable to even the most canon-anal fans, and yet the dance continues.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The image of the ship going underwater has visual/conceptual value that outweighs the number of shits anyone in the world gives about its plausibility in a loving Star Trek movie.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

This movie is so blue/orange, especially with all the mauve undertones, bright white highlights, bold red accents, and blocks of murky yellow. And did you see that crimson forest in the 10 minute preview? Orange as hell.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Everything from red to gold counts as "orange" for the purpose of the complaint, and everything from olive to navy counts as "blue". If a shot uses significant colour treatment, has warm/cool contrast, and does not contain purple or lime green, it's automatically blue/orange loving us again.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

We were denied a riveting sequence of Scotty being sucked in a straight line down a hallway.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I think Shatner was miffed at not even getting a torch-passing cameo while Nimoy got a major role.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

AlternateAccount posted:

As long as neither Abrams himself or his talentless toadie Lindelhof are allowed anywhere near the writing process, maybe there's a chance for goodness.
Damon Lindelof owns. Lost and Prometheus own. Pissing off pedants owns.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

AlternateAccount posted:

There is an in universe explanation for this.

And it's an after-the-fact canon patch-up that's still more far-fetched than an engine room looking like a brewery.

The only important question is "What makes for effective scenes and stories?"

Spock's character arc in Star Trek '09 is an excellent reason for Vulcans, humans, and other species to look similar and be capable of producing offspring. It's a far better justification than some terrible TNG episode designed to calm the whining of obsessives.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

It's a minute long.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Is it canon that Kirk was always a fan of the Beastie Boys, or is that only an element of the new timeline? Also, are the Star Trek references in Beastie Boys songs replaced with references to some other show? If so, what show?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The Shatner really comes out when he's irritated, like when he snaps "STOP IT" while Bones is injecting him.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I like how the usual stuffy federation council meeting has been supplanted by a Dr. Strangelove homage.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Based on the teaser scene that was shown in theatres, I think there'll be two separate scenes involving ships and water; a scene on the alien planet where they're hiding the Enterprise in the ocean and will have to emerge, and a scene where a ship (which may or may not be the Enterprise) crashes into a body of water on Earth.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Yeah, that could be planetary gravity. Or the artificial gravity calibration could be going wonky. The point is, you get to watch guys running on walls without any of that parkour poo poo.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I'd say that's an inventively stupid theory, but it's not really even inventive. It's just "I want this other Star Trek thing I like to be part of the movie".

I think it'd be really weak-sauce for these movies to have nothing but angry guys from the future as villains.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Sentinel Red posted:

Mirror universe

I hope every movie in this series has a conversation wherein Uhura exclaims "an alternate reality!" as soon as the crew figure out what's going on. Shot as close to identically as possible.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The new film series takes place entirely inside the virtual universe created for Moriarty in that TNG episode. The fabric of this universe has become increasingly warped by Moriarty's interaction with it, with Cumberbatch manifesting as his twisted perception of Picard.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Please consider my proposal for the next Star Trek villain: A good-natured human with a happy life, who takes no issue with the Federation or anyone on the Enterprise, and has no significantly threatening weapons or spaceships.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Hahahaha, that ending sounds like it owns.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Tuxedo Jack posted:

It doesn't sound like a JJ movie, it sounds like a Damon Lindelof movie.

Lindelof is awesome because he writes great endings that piss off literalists and pedants.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Like the first film and Prometheus, it looks like Into Darkness will have a lot of elements that will be latched onto and cited as flaws ad nauseum by nerds without any kind of exploration of whether/why they're a problem.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The only real complaint I have about Star Trek '09 is that the musical score is a little too dependent on a single theme. It's a decent theme, but it's used in too many different contexts without enough variation. Giacchino's done better.

That's pretty much it, though!

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Non-whiny non-pedantic nerds are exempt from my contempt.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I had not considered the inherent hypocrisy of criticizing posts about a thing when I have also posted about that thing.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

What is the red goo?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Gatts posted:

Maybe we are lucky and Khan's blood is basically like the pink slime from Ghostbusters 2. It makes Kirk do funny dances with the right music. Or it means that Khan's spirit is in Kirk and he's now more badass Kirk and at some point it'll turn into Metal Gear Solid and the next movie is going to be by Hideo Kojima. In which case, loving AWESOME.

Yes! That's what I'm talking about!

I guess I like the ending because there's a weirdness to it, and weird is high-risk high-reward. I'm an optimist when it comes to taking the story in bizarre directions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

AlternateAccount posted:

Khan is a genetic superman, not a minor deity.

Functionally, thematically, and symbolically, there's no difference.

• Locked thread