Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Recent news out of Brazil is that Atletico Mineiro made an official offer for Forlan, something around 6 million euros over 2 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
I don't think that matters. Pretty much every Brazilian team right now is a bunch of loan players, young promises, and has beens. Flu went from 1 point above the relegation zone in 08 and 09 to champions in 10, Vasco was 7 points from relegation in 10 and runners up in 11, and conversenly cruzeiro went from runners up in 10 to 2 points above relegation in 11.

Point being, other than Sao Paulo, Santos and Internacional, which have been consistently good throughout the decade, every other Brazilian club has been pretty much assembling teams on a year by year basis, with wildly different results each time. Even Corinthians was relegated just a few seasons ago.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Vinestalk posted:

That I did not know. I didn't see him play at Inter, but I always thought he wasn't playing from that far back for Atletico Madrid. I knew Aguero led the line there.

By that same token, do you honestly think Mineiro are on the up and up? They've been mid- to low-table since they got promoted in 2007 and investing money/time on Forlan wouldn't greatly improve either of their situations. They have bigger problems, like the amount of goals they concede. They usually get about 50+ goals a season, so scoring hasn't been that big of an issue.

Other than the three aforementioned teams (Santos, Sao Paulo, Internacional), pretty much every other team has been wildly inconsistent. Does Forlan solve Atletico Mineiro's problems by himself? Certainly not, and if spending that money prevents them from getting a decent goalkeeper it might hurt. But there is also no reason this doesn't play out like Conca in Fluminense in 2010 (a team that by then had an even worse history than Atletico Mineiro) or Petkovic in Flamengo in 09.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

K-Flow posted:

I'm watching this game right now and am completely confused at Mancini being on the field. Wasn't he just sent to prison in November last year? I cannot find a single thing on google about him being released. Somebody please help me figure this out before my head explodes

He was found guilty and sentenced to prison, but by the time the trial was over he was already back in Brazil, and Brazil does not extradite its own citizens.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Ronaldinho is about to sign with Atletico Mineiro, who are reportedly also after Adriano. I guess this is where that old expression "having more money than sense" applies.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Victor to atletico Mg. Bmg probably had lots of off the books profits this year that needs laundering.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Machado de Assis posted:

valeu timão :toot:

no matter how many competitions corinthians wins, I'm quite certain we'll never attain the level of smugness that são paulo supporters had when muricy was at the helm (they managed to make a corinthians supporter hate them more than palmeiras supporters, which I would have never considered possible)

also, I only really noticed it this year but yeah holy gently caress the supporters of literally every other team in brazil seem to have it out for us

it is the natural way of things for other teams from são paulo to be against corinthians, and for rio teams due to the old rio/são paulo rivalry, and I guess inter fans could be rankled about that business in 2005, but why would a grêmio fan care? why would a cruzeiro fan?

Because people always hate the favorites? Or, more importantly, because people will always hate the "establishment" teams? When Flamengo is relevant, they tend to get the same type of hate.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Forlan signed with Internacional.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
The match between Atletico MG and Vasco, the two teams leading the Brazilian league so far, will be streamed by espn3 this weekend. Sunday at 3 eastern.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
For those in the US, this sunday ESPN 3 will be showing Atletico-MG x Gremio. 2 of the top 3 teams in the brazilian league right now.

joepinetree fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Sep 22, 2012

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
If you can understand Portuguese, the following is a good example of the level of corruption that is involved in hosting the world cup:

http://blogdojuca.uol.com.br/2013/02/quem-recebe-e-quem-passa-a-bola-da-copa-em-minas/

If you don't understand the language, here's a brief summary:

Belo Horizonte, one of the cities hosting the world cup, has 2 stadiums, a smaller one built for the 1950 world cup and a bigger one. The plan for the world cup was to upgrade the bigger one. But since Belo Horizonte has 2 teams in the 1st division, they wanted to make sure they had a place to play while the bigger stadium (Mineirao) was being fixed. So they decided to refurbish the smaller stadium (Independencia) as well.

The plan was that Independencia would be fixed in the first half of 2010, and when it reopened they would then close Mineirao for its upgrades. But they only started the work on Independencia much later than anticipated, and so it closed at the same time as Mineirao did. And then the Independencia renovation took about 3 times longer than anticipated. So they had to refurbish a 3rd stadium, some 50 miles from Belo Horizonte, so that the professional teams could play there.

Final costs:
Fixing Arena do Jacare (the one 50 miles from Belo Horizonte): r$ 12 million (the equivalent to US$6 million)
Fixing Independencia (the smaller stadium in Belo Horizonte): R$ 150 million (US$ 75 million) - and this one was only ready about 8 months before Mineirao, instead of the expected 2 years
Fixing Mineirao (the one that will actually host the World Cup): R$650 million (US$ 325 million) - and this is only so far. When Mineirao reopened last weekend, parts of the stadium didn't have electricity, bathrooms didn't have water, most bars didn't open, and the parking deck wasn't working properly, and the field was getting flooded, so they might need to redo it.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Gigi Galli posted:

325 million and its still hosed; that's incredible. Is it down to cronyism and super low bid contracts and the usual poo poo or is it more sinister?

The stadiums are publicly owned, but companies bid for the contracts to renovate the stadiums in exchange of getting its lease for the next few decades. Nor surprisingly, the companies that won also have a few million dollars donated to the campaigns of the governor of Minas Gerais and the mayor of Belo Horizonte. In this particular example (since every host city handled things differently), there was a clear incentive to gently caress things up. "Oops, work on this stadium is late? Better go refurbish an additional one. Here's some more money."

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Sao Paulo forgot that there is no offsides off of throw ins. And Ronaldinho, even this old and slow version, is still amazing.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Some talk in the Brazilian media about possible harsh punishment against Corinthians, as apparently their supporters did something that caused the death of a 14 year old kid in Bolivia.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Flares already were not allowed in either Brazil or Bolivia.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
I find it extremely unlikely that they would withdraw from it. They invested a boatload of money this year and I am pretty sure that they'd lose at least the TV money, which is quite substantial, if they went through with it.

I think that the far more likely scenario, knowing CBF and conmebol, is that when the full disciplinary committee meets they will reduce the punishment to a specific number of games, not the entire tournament.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
In one of those ridiculous things typical of conmebol, Sao Paulo was allowed to change the game it will serve its punishment for the events of the sudamericana final: instead of serving it against Atletico, they will serve it against Arsenal.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Ronaldinho with a goal and an assist so far. Amazing what a change of scenery can do to a player.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

El Hefe posted:

Anyone watching Atletico Mineiro - Arsenal? What a loving disgrace what's happening at the end, why must this always happen in SA?

I thought that everything would be under control and die down, and some insane Arsenal player then just ran up and kicked the riot shield one of the policemen was holding. It all went downhill from there.

On the other hand, Ronaldinho makes it look so easy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEAoLEFAF18

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

hecko posted:

I don't think the answer is that simple. Maybe it's a mixture between inexperienced teams without the knowledge of how manage this kind of situations, (from having your own security and filming everything to schooling the players how to react when this happens), exaggerated rivalry against the visiting team and a overzealous police force that doesn't work to prevent or minimize violence but contribute to make it worse (like having policemen with shotguns inside the field).

Lots of other Argentinian teams played in Brazil and Brazilian teams here and never had any problem bigger than a dispute between a couple of players easily fixed with red cards.

Nevermind, you edited "here" to be clearer. Many other teams have gotten into these brawls (santos vs penarol, etc).

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
So apparently Sao Paulo is upset that Atletico Mineiro was granted its request that the ref for thursday not be Brazilian. The fact that this is an issue at all speaks volumes about how much each side trusts conmebol and cbf.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Atletico winning 3 x 0 so far, with Atletico hitting the post a couple of times and so on. Rogerio Ceni (Sao Paulo's gk) should really retire...

edit: 4, 3 by Jo.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Too bad the best play of the game didn't end in a goal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsmd2Ggbo0I

and here's the goals

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbQply4sJGQ

joepinetree fucked around with this message at 06:42 on May 9, 2013

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
So with Gremio out, it is not possible to have an all Brazil final anymore. If both Atletico and Fluminense advance, they will be matched up in the semifinals.

At this point, I think that the semifinals are going to be Atletico x Fluminense and Newell's x Independiente Santa Fe. And honestly, the real final would be Atletico X Flu.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
What the hell is up with the field at Tijuana?

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Magrov posted:

It's artificial grass.

No wonder they haven't suffered a goal at home. that field is ridiculous.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
poetic justice that the 2nd goal of atletico mineiro came in a play where the Tijuana defender mistimed the bounce of the ball.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
While the match was fun, it wasn't very good soccer. All the goals came from bad defensive failures, and Atletico Mineiro especially was having a hard time adjusting to the surface. I honestly think it is ridiculous that FIFA apparently went back on their decision to ban artificial turf.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
10 penalty shots for each side and no winner yet.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
When both teams leave the field crying, you know it was a great game.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
There was a tijuana player clearly offsides in that goal. He may not have hit the ball, but he was close enough to the play that it was absolutely the right call. Reffing wasn't perfect, but it was pretty even and both teams have stuff to complain about, so it wasn't what determined the outcome.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Atletico Mineiro was also without its 2 central defenders ( Rever is suspended and Leonardo Silva hurt) and defensive midfielder (Donizete is hurt).

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
GALO!

Atletico wants to give me a heart attack...

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
In another weird conmebol decision, Atletico won't be able to play at their current stadium because it only seats ~22000 people and conmebol demands a stadium with a minimum capacity of 40000, but Olimpia will be able to play at defensores, which seats 31000 (36000 if people stand).

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

hecko posted:

That's not new, remember when Atletico Paranaense had to play against Sao Paulo in Porto Alegre because the same rule? I guess they let Olimpia play in a smaller stadium because it's the largest in Paraguay.

Yes, I remember that, but this time it involves allowing one and not the other. It is specially ridiculous because Independencia looks to be in much better shape (light issues notwithstanding) than Defensores del Chaco (and the only way its capacity comes to 36000 is by making parts of the stadium standing room only). Ultimately it doesn't matter much because Atletico will play in belo horizonte itself, but still...

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
In more conmebol drama, Olimpia has released only 1600 tickets for the Atletico Mineiro supporters, despite rules saying that 10% of all tickets must be reserved for the visiting team (and for the final the minimum is supposed to be 4000). The reason they give for that is safety. It wouldn't be libertadores without some off the field drama like this.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
I never, ever thought I'd see this happen. I've been an Atletico (and, for the record, people in Brazil call it Atletico or Atletico Mineiro, never just Mineiro) fan since my father first took me to a match in 1983. For people familiar with the Brazilian league, Atletico has long had this reputation as a team with terrible luck, always choking in key moments. Back when the Brazilian league had a playoffs, Atletico was the team that had reached the semifinals the most times, but they only won it once, in 1971. Partly bad luck, partly weak political power within CBF, Atletico was famous for "dying at the beach" (see http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/morrer_na_praia ).

It is a history that involves being the only undefeated runner up in Brazilian league history, when in 1977 it lost on PKs to sao paulo. A history that involves firing Tele Sant'anna because of his "pe frio," or bad luck, after he reached the semifinals in 1987 undefeated and lost to flamengo (soon after that, Tele won literally everything there was to win at Sao Paulo). That in 1995 lost a conmebol cup after winning the first leg in the final 4-0. All culminating in being relegated to the second division in 2005, while the main in town rivals, cruzeiro, was winning almost everything.

And so while I understand that is a bit irrational to be this happy or to care this much about sports, I also can't help but think back to all the disappointments I had lived through with Atletico, all the memories I have of going to the stadium back when I lived in Brazil and my father was still alive, or how I could always get my father to talk about Atletico, even as the cancer that eventually claimed his life started to drain his energy and will to live. It is sort of poetic that a team that has lost so many penalty shoot-outs, had lost so many titles in the final minutes, finally wins it in this manner.

Volkerball posted:

That was an incredible game. Here's all the highlights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qde03iETCbI

Aside from the flare incident, the Libertadores are alright with me. Anyone follow the Campeonato Brasileiro? I'm gonna keep an eye on it this season. Don't think I'll follow Corinthians this time though. They have a lot of really boring 1-0 games. I mean, they're second to last in goals forced in Serie A. I've started watching a few of Internacional's games, and they seem to have a lot more scoring chances.

The problem with Campeonato Brasileiro is the absolutely insane Brazilian schedule, made worse by the confederations cup. The schedule is so bloated that teams that lose in the Brazilian cup get entered into Sudamericana. That is, even if you do poorly and lose, they'll still find a way to get teams playing an inordinate amount of games. This is all on top of things like state championships and the like. The reason I mention this is because it is quite likely that some of the better teams, like internacional, corinthians or cruzeiro will rest key starters if they get deeper in copa do brasil or sudamericana.

joepinetree fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jul 25, 2013

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
I thought this was a cool video:

http://youtu.be/Ka1vIxWeMCA

Panoramic view of Belo Horizonte after Atletico won.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Volkerball posted:

Is Jo out too?

I think Jo is even more important than Bernard. Atletico's entire offense relies on either Ronaldinho's long passes or Jo playing the pivot up front. Luan can sort of substitute Bernard, but Atletico has no one who can replace Ronaldinho or Jo, even at a lower level.

In any case, this sort of performance was to be expected. Atletico has 3 wins 1 draw and 6 losses. Last year Corinthians had 3 wins 2 draws 5 losses at the same point, sams as Santos in 2011.

The main thing for Atletico now is Bernard deciding his fate. If he takes the offer from the Ukraine, its 25 million euros that Atletico will be able to spend to improve the team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
I think it is a pretty bad idea. In Europe they have not only the advantage of infrastructure, but they have certain marquee, almost all star teams that will draw a large crowd even if the teams' supporters don't show up. Even in the extreme example of a London to Moscow distance, Manchester U v Chelsea was a big enough game that the stadium was filled with not only fans of the teams, but also a lot of Russians.

Now, maybe other countries are different, but in Brazil most people lose interest in the libertadores once their teams are out. This year was an oddity because lots of fans of other clubs decided to support Atletico, so the ratings were high. But when Cruzeiro played Estudiantes in 2009, for example, the final wasn't even broadcast nationally in Brazil.