Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

mrpwase posted:

:stare:

Anyone intelligent know what this means?
The trains will be repainted to cover up the Virgin branding, before being repainted again when they're eventually transferred to First Group.
And all the staff will get two sets of TUPE paperwork.
A bit like the East Coast Mainline which is currently run by Directly Operated Railways.
It's part of the efficiency the private sector involvement brings to the table.

First can't take over WMCL until the courts are done with Virgin's complaint. But the government aren't going to let Virgin just keep making money off it in the meantime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

dadrips posted:

There is that, although it's a criticism that can be levelled against the entire rail network really. I was weighing up how much it'd cost to get to this year's ATP festival in East Sussex by various ways and a return rail ticket would cost a full £140, whereas the same journey with a flight from Glasgow to London comes to slightly over half that. It's one of the daftest things ever that flying manages to be cheaper than rail.

Clearly you're just not being flexible enough in which oddly timed trains you were willing / able to book.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

It's depressing to know that we'll still be using diesel for long distance trains instead of electric after 2020.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Speaking of the 2020s, Johnson's election pledge to introduce "driverless" tube trains has been forced back to at least then by minor technical issues such as 'reality'.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/transport/london-underground-scrap-plans-for-driverless-trains-after-safety-concerns-8201540.html

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

PkerUNO posted:

And yet Paris already has two such lines, one of which is the oldest Metro line in Paris, retrofitted with platform edge doors and shiny new cabless trains.
As I recall the entire Paris Metro is sub surface with large cut-and-cover tunnels, nothing like the deep level tunnels under swathes of London.

I posted the article to highlight that Johnson's election pledge had no plan to back it up. The significant engineering challenges will not be overcome with hot air, but here he is just playing politics with vital national infrastructure.
In short: he's a Tory.

Cerv fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Oct 8, 2012

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

let's down a shot every time someone misuses 'driverless' and 'automated' / 'ATO' interchangeably.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

kim jong-illin posted:

I am waiting until someone (Jonnty) unironically uses Skyfall as an argument against ATO.
Skyfall's nearly as bad as Modern Warfare 2 for accuracy. At least they got permission to use the actual signage and logos.

But the train shown is a Jubliee Line train which do in fact use ATO!

It wouldn't be able to run on the District line though. And would never have a spare driver doing nothing in the rear compartment.

Understandable as the actual District Line trains look like wank. Though I think they missed a trick in not using the new stock that's due in a few years.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Tekopo posted:

If the District line trains are bad (I use them every day), what about the Circle lines one? I see them go by as I wait for my train and they seem to be much worse.
Yes, the C stock. Oldest trains on the network. Not great. Also used on the Hammersmith & City line and the District line from Edgware Road to Wimbledon.

Thankfully due to be replaced with the same lovely S stock right before the District line update.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

But seeing as Silva is magic computer hacker he clearly disabled all that first.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

Only some of it is the oldest, they built some more in 1977! The uniform oldest is the Bakerloo Line's which was made in 1972.

TinTower posted:

You mean Modern Warfare 3.
:goonsay:
i'll get me coat

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

quote:

If for some an intercity express will always resemble an oversized toy then this is perhaps just one stage further towards an extravagant childhood dream: a battery-powered train capable of travelling 600 miles on a single charge.
Urrgh.
Toy trains pick up current through the rails. They don't use batteries.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

quote:

Signalman stuck in a toilet: Network Rail apologies

Network Rail has apologised after a signalman got stuck in a toilet, causing delays to train services.

Passengers were inconvenienced after contact was lost with the signal box at Henwick in Worcester.

The driver of the 15:13GMT Hereford to London service got out of his train and walked to the signal box to investigate.

It was then discovered the signalman was stuck in the Victorian building's outside toilet.

A Network Rail spokesman apologised for the inconvenience caused to passengers by the unusual episode on 6 February.

He said: "Much of the railway is still controlled from Victorian signal boxes, which often have outside loos.

"Our plans to modernise the railway will see control moved to state-of-the-art regional control centres, where unfortunate incidents such as this simply wouldn't be an issue.

"We apologise to anyone whose journey was delayed or disrupted as a result."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hereford-worcester-21410006

Never forget just how old our rail infrastructure is, and why continuing investment is very loving important.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

They do call passengers customers on London Underground too and they're still government run. It's infuriating.
Did that come in before, during or after the complete disaster of the Metronet/Tubelines PFI do you know?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Ofaloaf posted:

They came off more as smug than defensive, really. One bit of the Railway episode focused on a series of delays at King's Cross, mentioned the drivers' union right to a 30 min. break between runs, explained that the delay seen on-camera was due to a lack of drivers for the trains at the station, followed around the station-master who was frantically trying to radio for any available driver please just get the trains moving, and then showed a driver finally swaggering into view and explaining he had been at the pub for his 30-minute break.
drivers can't rest, eat, piss, etc during their shift. if i recall correctly that train was about to embark on a several hour journey.
breaks aren't for fun, they prevent horrible death.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Ofaloaf posted:

I get that a break's healthy and downright necessary for proper saftety, but goddamn they just caught those drivers at the perfectly wrong moment. Rather than appearing pressed for time, the driver genuinely did seem to be swaggering to the station platform without a worry, while the guy at the platform was flipping his poo poo and the passengers seemed to be on the dge of rioting. I mean, that train ultimately ended up leaving an hour and ten minutes behind schedule because they couldn't find a driver. Was there absolutely no driver available sooner than that?

The manager spoke pure corporatese throughout the entire episode. He was the worst.
If the driver had run across the platform the train could have left an hour an nine minutes late instead of ten.

I'm not sure why you're holding up a panicky man as an example of good practice in a crisis. Calmer heads leads to better resolutions.

edit: This shows perfectly the major problem with the programme. It's all so very superficial it never gives enough of the background info about any aspect. There's no driver for the train - but it's never discussed if there's actually a shortage of drivers, if the management are really bad a rota-ing leaving no flex in the system, etc.
Instead we get an excessive volume of soap opera style personal lives of the people who work there.

Cerv fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Mar 17, 2013

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Bozza posted:

Intercity 225
:swoon:

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is quite a turn up for the books. Something that makes you side with a TOC.

He'll lose in court*, but what a time waste it must be for LM to deal with the complaint.

*or would if it ever made it there, which it won't

quote:

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/chalk-farm-businessman-plans-to-sue-over-parked-trains-which-block-sunlight-8543662.html

A businessman is considering legal action against London Midland because parked trains are blocking out natural light from his offices.

Frank Carson, the owner of Primrose Hill Business Centre in Chalk Farm, says office workers have complained they are starved of daylight by stationary trains in the Camden sidings.

Mr Carson, who has owned the centre for 40 years, said that until three years ago, the sidings were only used to wash trains. “We had no complaints when carriages were moved away after they were cleaned but now they are parked there throughout the day,” he said.

“If they are moved, they only go for around 45 minutes before they are back again. This means people working in our offices are denied daylight and all they can see are trains.”

One manager, Robert Hohler, who runs Companions of London, said: “The carriages are only about 10 feet away. It was never the most beautiful view, but now the trains rarely clear.”

Mr Hohler, whose staff have worked in the building since 1995, also believes his phones and internet are affected.

Mr Carson said he met two London Midland representatives six weeks ago and they “seemed sympathetic” but he then received a letter saying nothing could be done. “I am prepared to take this further. I have a draft letter ready to send off to London Midland’s legal department.” It also affected the rents he could charge, he added.

London Midland said: “In 2010 the Department for Transport funded our upgrade of the Camden sidings so that we can stable our trains there during the daytime off-peak hours. This is necessary so that we have the trains in the right place to run our peak-time commuter services to and from London.”

It added that the only alternative, moving trains to Bletchley during the day, would involve a 100-mile round trip, extra drivers and timetable changes.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

sweek0 posted:

You don't because I'm pretty sure it's Finsbury Park - Seven Sisters. :)
Nope, East Finchley to Morden (via Bank) is the longest tunnel between stations on LU.
Finsbury Park to Seven Sisters is the longest section of tunnel between adjacent stations.

:P

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Anything to add transport links to Kingston is a good idea. Bloody pain getting there on the bus.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

I can't find a pic of the new bridge, but Network Rail let a local 9 year old cut the red tape on it :3:

http://www.networkrail.co.uk/news/2013/apr/Duffiled-Road-railway-bridge-opened-by-Archie-Snell-aged-9/

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Bozza posted:

Rumour mill is turning and looks like Crossrail is going to Reading.

Policy wise would that be a 360 u-turn, or now up to 540?

Not that I don't believe you, but it'd seem odd to give TfL the route out to Reading, while at the same time all the rumours are DfT have turned against Johnson's demand for taking control of various other commuter routes to the surrounding counties.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

The 'Metro' route is the one that only goes to Ally Pally. The 'Regional' route is the one with a second branch from Angel out to Hertfordshire.

Both of these names, and 'Crossrail 2' itself, are terrible and boring.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Sri.Theo posted:

How do you guys distinguish between the Overground and the overground railways in everyday speech? I find it a very annoying name.
usually call the small-o "trains" and never "overground". or "national rail" if i'm feeling fancy.

will probably call crossrail 1 & 2 just "crossrail". if i live long enough to see that open.

people who call the big-O Overground "tube" though - they're monsters.

does anyone else wish that Thamelink was under TfL and on the tube map?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

sweek0 posted:

It's been on the tube map in the past. It's going to be too big and complicated as a network for it to be shown again.

15 years ago they removed it. Completely forgot about that.
Looking back, the colour scheme's terrible. http://www.clarksbury.com/cdl/maps/tube98.jpg

I still think you could make the current situation fit ok. This is just missing the south-west loop (ignore the handful of errors and crazy circular format).
http://www.flickr.com/photos/anniemole/8425646797/

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

What's so fascinating about level crossings anyway?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

sadly missed

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Sometimes I get the Overground from Acton instead of Shepherds Bush just for the novelty of a level crossing.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Carry on laughing. He was taking the piss.

And in future don't give you name or address to anyone without cause.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

coffeetable posted:

The central problem in my eyes is that HS2 supposes more people should be working in London. £42bn of investment in the North would go a long way towards correcting the brain drain half the country suffers.

HS2 is investment in the North.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

And ban short haul flights

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Metrication posted:

How will engineering works happen on the '24 hours tube lines'?

The other 5 days of the week.

And weekend closures for big jobs.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

that seems optimistic. there will always be big things like completely replacing all the points at Acton last weekend.

an all night service 40-something weekends of the year with a few off is still a vast improvement over 1 night a year for whatever we're supposed to call Hogmanay down here.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Metrication posted:

The Inner South London Line seems low effort compared to the rest of the Overground orbital project. They seemed to have run out of money and chutzpah after the East London Line extension. I read somewhere that TfL didn't want a connection to Victoria line at Brixton because it will overload the tube there.

same reason the battersea extension of the northern line takes a swerve to avoid brixton vauxhall :(

Cerv fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Nov 26, 2013

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

err, yes i did. oops.

one of the rejected options in the NL consultation had it link up at vauxhall.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Needs a new colour to split the Overground into Orbital / Dangly Bits. Far too awkward to read in the top right.

Also lof if the Emirates cable car is still running then.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Zero Gravitas posted:

I bought Advance tickets - according to FGW they cant be refunded through the website at all, never mind just refunding the yet-to-be-unused return tickets. :/

If it's at all a popular route, and you've got time before the date, stick them on gumtree / craigslist.
Flouting the national conditions of carriage, but noone actually cares.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Lofty132 posted:

since my company has no overtime agreement for drivers.

i'm seeing an obvious solution here. that doesn't require institutional sexism.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

legally they'd have no leg to stand on trying to oppose maternity cover. this seems like nonsense out of a unions-as-bogeymen fox news pamphlet.

also, that cycle thing is laughable and not going to happen.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

just the stupidity of nobody noticing the train car disapear.
that's as bad as the magic flyers in Ocean's 11.

geographical details being incorrect for convenience is just amsuing trivia that affects even the best production. it only becomes an issue if it's contradictory within it's own universe, or does try to rely on real life knowledge at other times.
technical details don't matter any more than the medical details in Casualty, since this is all for the layman.

although this guardian article seems to think they could afford to make their own fake train for the final scenes. http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/jan/03/sherlock-twitter-the-empty-hearse-tube-london-underground

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Bozza posted:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/feb/21/how-much-cost-scare-british-taxpayers-pay-hs2

Another day, and another terrible, terrible anti-HS2 article from Simon Jenkins in the Guardian.

We had a good laugh about it this morning at work.

that was painful to read

anyway, this is pretty interesting about the cancellation of HS2-HS1 link up. but remember the paper is *very* anti HS2
http://www.camdennewjournal.com/news/2014/feb/exclusive-hs2-bosses-set-abandon-camden-town-link-stage-high-speed-rail-project

gently caress the northeners. their ability to visit europe is less important than nimbys in camden

• Locked thread