Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

KayTee posted:

While many are just a standard islamophobic/the left are ruining it/political correctness gawn mahd/elf 'n safty affair, some are just... Wha...?

What the poo poo? No way are Bradford going to win silverware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Raneman posted:

Disclaimer: I am American

So, it seems like most hate for Muslims around the world comes from ignorance. Do these people really believe they're threatened by a religious minority, to the point they're afraid of sharia law? Sharia law isn't even in full effect in a lot of Islamic countries, how can they believe it'll be established in the UK?

Or am I reading too much into this and they're just fascists?

You're right, but they're also fascists.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Sadly, the EDL march on Bristol falls on the same day as Bristol Pride, and despite numerous pleas to gently caress off and do it on a different day and even though the EDL has said (read: lied) a few times and said it wouldn't march then... well, here we are.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
It's not really a shock they have designated pubs, it's how the police deal with football hooligans.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Ah, I love that bit in Capital where he suggests not showing the replays of missed penalties by football players from minority groups.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
To be fair No2EU were paranoid shitlords that didn't deserve votes.

Yes, I am sore about them calling me a Tory plant.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Jeoh posted:

No2EU, wasn't that the badly disguised SPEW / RMT front?

Badly disguised enough that everyone thought they were right-wing, yes.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Just a reminder to Bristolians to bash the fash this weekend

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Fluo posted:

Yep been prepping all week!

I just hope it stays away from Pride :shobon:

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Fluo posted:

edit: Only reason I called the temple meads the rebel one is because Bristol City council wants them to go to the centre not temple meads. But noone is going to it seems.

Well, BCC and the "We Are Bristol" organisers. Think the fountains one is going to be far more family-orientated whereas Temple Meads will provide your daily dose of fash bashing.

What's this Rebel EDL poo poo? Can't imagine why the gently caress they'd want to go to Stokes Croft, I'd have thought they're in actual danger of getting their faces smashed in there.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Fluo posted:

By the way mfcrocker you going aswell? :) We could meet up after for a pint of you want.

If I do anything tomorrow it'll be popping along to help out with Pride, but I'm dead up for some pintage at some point.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Best wishes to you all for today! Stay safe or don't :)

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
You can't even hurl homophobic abuse at the police without getting arrested nowadays. It's political correctness gone mad Stu.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

goddamnedtwisto posted:

No but you see we need to concentrate resources on people making jokes about the Olympic torch relay because

It's possible for them both to get prosecuhahaha like gently caress will they

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

cleanhands posted:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-19146805

I haven't any particular opinion but I thought you'd like to know.

We know :)

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

DesperateDan posted:

I want to give them a platform and enough rope to hang themselves. Censoring them is playing their game, smashing them on the street while they infight themselves to death is a far better game, and it seems to be playing out well enough. Their numbers are less than a tenth of what they were, and they know it, and they are blaming each other for it.

This is liberal nonsense. A party that gets no airtime gets no votes, simple as.

I have no problem with bringing debates on the matter of immigration to the public but they shouldn't be held with the lunatics of the BNP/EDL.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Well that was a fun little interlude.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Hopefully another utter failure like the Bristol march. They really are seeing big dropoffs in numbers.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Everyone loves a bit of a fash-on-fash barney.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

ClownSyndrome posted:

So according to BNP logic, 43,539,000 million people in the UK do not agree with their values or methods

That's bad logic - it's probably much higher.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Looks like the EDL have been banned from marching in Walthamstow

quote:

Minister for Policing Damian Green said:

"Having carefully considered the legal tests and balanced rights to protest against the need to ensure local communities and property are protected, I have given my consent to a ban on all marches in Waltham Forest and three nearby boroughs for a 30-day period.

"I know the Metropolitan Police are committed to using their powers to ensure communities and properties are protected.”

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Blond hair, blue eyes. But of course

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
RIP EDL, good loving riddance.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Oh no, not Bill Oddiealike :ohdear:

Also I'm pretty sure you're locked on to win a fiver mate.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Hey kindly take your Israel/Palestine poo poo to any of the other billion threads about it, this thread is awesome and there has never ever been a good I/P thread on here.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

kim jong-illin posted:

Surprised no-one posted this now we're discussing the BNP.

Full article's worth reading.

What lovely writing. "Normal" donations are up ~100% and then they received a huge one-off donation. Unless they're going to report next year that they fell by 80 or 90% then this is intellectually dishonest.

EDIT: More likely is that they've just published a BNP press release near-verbatim.

mfcrocker fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Mar 26, 2013

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

DesperateDan posted:

♪♪ If it wasn't for the coppers you'd be dead ♪♪
♪♪ If it wasn't for the coppers, those dirty rotten coppers ♪♪

The "march for england" in Brighton got outnumbered about 10-1. Also, a few of the more hardcore leftovers of the troubled Essex division stumbled into a bunch of antifa/blackbloc before the march and promptly got a whuppin', including being painted red.

Fash status: Bashed.

EDIT:

Bonus fash inadvertently hitting other fash with stick and then fash made a face

This post makes me smile :)

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
The EDL are in terminal decline and in that sense alone can't be compared to Golden Dawn. By this point noone should be worried about them.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

JoylessJester posted:

Just flooded it with the info from that EDL list. Maybe they'll start hitting each other.

What do you mean "start"?

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Er Pernacchia posted:

Beat the EDL with sound arguments not with irrational behaviour.

And you call other people juvenile? :ironicat:

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
It's got to be tempting to hold an anti-SWP protest. Hijack that, mates.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Spacedad posted:

Yes because escalating vigilante violence rather than pushing for stronger police protection against violent fascist groups always works out so well.

The police aren't exactly big on cracking down on fascists and pushing for stronger protection isn't going to change that.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Spacedad posted:

This is where the whole 'participate in your government' thing comes into play. Or does getting in a confrontational toss-up with some skinheads sound more appealing and exciting.

I can't tell if you're being wilfully ignorant or are actually daft enough to not know that a) the emergence and strength of violent far-right groups suits the current government just fine and b) the barriers to entryism into the governmental system are insurmountable

How, pray tell, do you propose people participate in their government to affect the change that we're after here? And please think about whether your answer is actually practical.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Spacedad could you please stop whining about it being illegal? Being illegal is not the litmus test for whether something is immoral.

EDIT: If you could stop whining about strawmen that'd be great too because people are responding to things you have actually said. It currently seems you're just trying to drown out valid criticism of your position by crying fallacy.

mfcrocker fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Jun 11, 2013

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Spacedad posted:

but I'm starting to get annoyed at the demonization that liberals keep getting

It's deserved.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Stewart Lee Pliny puts the bit about the lack of interest in expressing patriotism amazingly well here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8G57DHffac

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
We had one in Bristol but it shut down. Much rather watch it in a pub anyway.

Tias posted:

Are you saying English pubs don't have television sets and show games when they're on? If so, England isn't anything like I imagined :psyduck:

They do but they're not the same thing as a US-style sports bar

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Stottie Kyek posted:

Fash! Aa-aah! Hater of the immigrants!

Fash! Aa-aah! He's an imbecile!

OPEN FIRE! CALL ALL WEAPONS! DISPATCH WAR ROCKET AJAX TO BRING BACK HIS BODY!

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Any money that if a pub refused to serve the shite we wouldn't be getting this liberal handwringing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

This march was getting positive press in one of the local rags :smith:

• Locked thread