Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"
Best rebuttals of Combined Ex Forces are when they go on the Army Rumour Servce squaddy forum (which is not as terrible as you'd imagine) to try and recruit.

I didn't quite imagine there were so many ways to tell someone to gently caress off, but it appears there are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

I dismissed No2EU at the time because the name was dumb and I though they were some fascist party.

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/9442258/English-Defence-League-leader-to-stand-as-police-commissioner.html

quote:

English Defence League leader to stand as police commissioner

Kevin Carroll, who is also a senior figure in the nationalist British Freedom Party, will run in the anti-Islamic group’s stronghold of Bedfordshire.

He is promising to end political correctness in policing and what he believes is a “two-tier” system that treats Muslims better than the rest of society.

If Mr Carroll won the election later this year, in addition to a £70,000 salary he would be given the power to set law and order priorities and budgets in the multicultural county as well as hiring and firing Bedfordshire Police chief constables.

Senior officers have already warned that public apathy about the new role of Police and Crime Commissioner could let extremist candidates into power by the back door.

Groups such as the EDL – which claims only to oppose extremist Muslims but whose members have been linked to football hooligans and the far-right – will work hard to get their supporters to vote while much of the electorate is expected to stay away from the polls taking place in 41 police areas across England and Wales.

Olly Martins, Labour’s PCC candidate in Bedfordshire, said: “The EDL thugs are about the least appropriate people to run for police commissioner.”

Mr Carroll, who lives in the EDL’s heartland of Luton, has a conviction for a public order offence after he and another man hurled abuse at Muslims who were protesting at a soldiers’ homecoming parade.

But although Mr Carroll received a nine-month conditional discharge in 2010 and was ordered to pay £175 costs, this will not prevent him from standing as a Police and Crime Commissioner because it was not an imprisonable offence.

By contrast Simon Weston, the Falklands war hero who had intended to run for the newly created post, would have been barred because of a teenage conviction for being a passenger in a stolen car, for which he could have been jailed.

So far the EDL has raised a fifth of the £5,000 deposit needed to put its “co-leader” up as a candidate for the election on November 15th.

A spokesman for the group, whose marches and street protests have regularly descended into violence, said: “Our only intention is to show our support for the police.”

He said it was “more than likely” that the EDL would put up other candidates elsewhere but claimed their chances of winning were “not that high”.

The spokesman added: “When you live in a town like Luton, their community is treated with kid gloves and our community is treated with hard fists.

“The police’s hands are tied behind their backs by political correctness and fear of being called racist.”

My home county :( Don't see it going down too well though, most kids at my school who actually had Asian friends won't stand for these fucks. It'll be the village area racists, the sort who vote in Nadine Dorres, who'll enable this turd.

North Bedfordshire solidarity against the EDL.

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

I think that's the first time anybody in the entire world has said that the SWP have a position of authority.

In what exactly? Trot top trumps?

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

Interesting one, cos ASLEF (train drivers union FYI) got a bloke chucked out for being a BNP member as it went against the values of the organisation.

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

Ah yes, the British police force and establishment, well known for defending minority rights.

If you want a friend of the family for a neighbour, vote Liberal or Labour.

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

Iohannes posted:

Not an official slogan. This, however, was an official poster:

Stewart Lee lied to me :(

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

80s "Loony Left" stuff is pretty hilarious with hindsight, as most of the stuff is tremendously reasonable, and exists today.

The banning football shirts thing is the one that irks me because this isn't exactly uncommon. Mainly on match days, or if you're my local hipster spot, to keep out 'the wrong sort' of people by all accounts.

We nearly got thrown out due to their policy banning 'large groups in football shirts' despite being made up of: a Man City shirt, a Leeds shirt, a Bolton shirt, a Port Vale shirt, a Newcastle shirt and a FC Union Berlin shirt...

Hipsters there, not understaning how football hooliganism works.

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

Me and some of the old LF crowd once got directions to The Chandos off a member of TSG back in the day after bailing out of another Sam Smiths.

I bought Alex Hern (formerly of LF, now of the New Statesman) a pint for buying the most obscure Trot paper.

Good times.

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

Blacknose posted:

I think worker's hammer is the best I've seen anyone manage.

I think it was Workers Hammer, and they weren't actually Trots, they were mad Stalinists who were running a North Korea Solidarity campaign :psyduck:

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

ekuNNN posted:

Good to see the Selfridges facebook page full of support for the employee.

Internet fash patrol have turned up now though demanding the bloke be fired.

Be interested which way this one goes for your man.

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

There is also the inherent classism you find in a lot of places that people who wear football shirts are "not the sort of people we want in here".

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Is it classicist though? Are there groups out there who cause as much trouble as football fans do on a regular basis? Do rugby, cricket, cycling or athletics fans require the vast police presence football fans do?

The EDL were mostly formed out of football hooligan firms. Have undesirables who profess fandom of other sports or hobbies, excepting stunt aerobatics, formed a fascist party?

The difference is between large groups of football fans together, and one bloke in a Luton Town shirt getting booted out of some hipster pub because "no football shirts". The first, I would agree with you, but the second is almost always classism.

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

Kieselguhr Kid posted:

It's pretty funny that 'sexy eastern European ladies' has a direct analogy for prejudiced people, who stereotype eastern European women as fat middle-aged housewives with thickly-haired upper lips.

Interestingly this is not a trans-Atlantic stereotype. British media during the Cold War depicted Soviet/Eastern European women in the 'sexy femme fatale' style while in the USA they were shown in the manner you describe.

As a rule of thumb, you can tell whether the author of spy fiction is British or American by how the women on the other side of the Iron Curtain are shown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

Tiger Millionaire posted:

Not really related to EDL chat but you're not talking about old Elements nightclub in Bedford are you? Otherwise the same thing happening to two churches is a bit of a laugh

Been lurking but the threads been mostly great, keep up the good fight lads

Sup fellow Bedfordian, that night club will forever be called Mission to me.

I went to a Pitcher and Piano in Nottingham that was in a church, and there's an all you can eat Chinese in one in Derby, with the desserts where the alter should be.

• Locked thread