Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Hell, Jackass 3D was inferior to 2, but the giant hand and the dildo gun over tiny city-models were two of the funniest things I've seen in a movie ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

DeclaredYuppie posted:

How weird is it to pin your hopes on Michael Keaton?

Not weird at all. Keaton owns all of the bones.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Locked room mystery + Liam Neeson Action movie...

Why the gently caress not?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiHDJ19A3dk

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Jewmanji posted:

Really? I'll defer to you- what else should I check out? I'm not referring to all Australian film mind you, just films that were relatively popular in the US as well (and not just Australian film-makers like Andrew Dominik who make American films).

Check out The Square, really good 2008 thriller. Written by Joel Edgerton and directed by his brother.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I'm interested this, apparently Edgerton co-wrote The Rover as well.

Really? Now it's even higher on my list.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

He also co-stars and (I think, maybe?) cowrote Animal Kingdom as well, so if you haven't seen that yet get on it.

Edgerton and the movie The Square were actually the reason I checked out Animal Kingdom. I was bummed how early in the movie he was killed off but it was completely worth it because the movie won me back ten-fold

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

High Warlord Zog posted:

Sin City 2 looks like crap. The first one was a very digital movie but it was cinematic as hell. This one looks like it has that ugly direct-to-video sheen of Rodriguez's recent work.

Yeah, looks even stage-ier than the first one, but it's only the trailer so it's hard to tell. That being said, the first was an interesting mixed bag anyway. Josh Brolin and JGL playing noir should be kinda fun and I liked that shot of Ray Liotta. Pretty iffy about it though.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

The Purge: Anarchy trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzFCDqKE4yA

I kinda hated the first movie, and most of the shots in this one looks a little lifeless. I do like that burning bus shot though.

That being said: I love Frank Grillo and Zack Gilford, so I'm at least slightly intrigued. I also think the idea of rich people literally buying poor people to kill is some on-the-nose, Mad Magazine style satire and I kinda love it.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

I liked the trailer and I liked the cover, I agree with that quote that said the vocals add to the anxious feeling that kicks in about halfway through.

I enjoyed the book and love Fincher though, so I may be biased.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Has anyone read the book? Is it any good?

Yeah, it's good. Has some really good characters and twists. Straight-up airport novel like you said though. I know everyone hated the ending of the book, but I loved it and I'm a little bummed they're changing it for the movie.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Jewmanji posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvOksqh1Td0

First trailer for Whiplash featuring JK Simmons and Miles Teller. This is going to rule. Possibly more than Foxcatcher.

I've been waiting for this movie for a while. There's a great clip out of the "rushing & dragging" scene too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnuImW1dWAk

Mles Teller is awesome and JK Simmons is like Professor Schillinger in this. I'm totally expecting it to be one of my favourites of the year.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Whoa, that looks fantastic. Daniel Radcliffe looks like he's gonna kill it.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Trump posted:

Is this pirate dude supposed to be funny?

You mean Antonio Banderas?

He's the best part of the trailer. He knows he's in a kid's movie.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

kiimo posted:

None of those things make me hate Exodus.

It's how Joel Edgerton looks that drives me mad. How did they turn that rich Great Gatsby jock into Ricky Gervais? Awful.

Anything that makes Joel Edgerton look like a joke just bums me out :smith:

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

DivisionPost posted:

I saw the trailer at their Comic Con panel. They also showed an extended sequence that culminated in Clooney's character and the girl from the trailer trying to escape a group of creepy, smiley androids trying to kill them. If nothing else, it's pure, uncut Bird.

Brad Bird and Damon Lindelof doing a movie version of the Itchy & Scratchy Land Simpsons episode has my full attention.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Judge Clayjar posted:

its westworld dumbass

I'm hoping a Disney movie might be a little goofier than Westworld though.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

LaughMyselfTo posted:

The trick with getting Whedon to direct well is taking away his budget. Like in Dr. Horrible.

And yet Much Ado About Nothing exists.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

Is there a dragon in this movie?

That trailer is really putting all of its chips on the fact that anyone will give a poo poo about whatever that battle is.

They completely ignore the "cliffhanger" of the second movie, which is funny.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Kinda cool that they focused on Boyega, Ridley and Isaac instead of throwing the old cast out there right away. I'm surprised we only got the falcon and no R2D2 or Chewbacca shot.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

GrandpaPants posted:

Also whose voice was doing the narration?

Max Von Sydow.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Gonz posted:

I didn't realize he was in it; now that I listen to it again, yeah it does sound like him.

He isn't.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

It's the dumbest, cheesiest part, but that look after Max is asked his name... Love it.

LesterGroans fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Dec 10, 2014

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Deakul posted:

I said it borrowed an element from Poltergeist, that's a bit different.

And no, it sucks. You're wrong.

and also stupid

shut up

Insidious is great actually.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

The trailer for the father/daughter zombie film Maggie.

I think old and grizzled may end up being my favourite flavour of Schwarzenegger.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Piven peaked in Very Bad Things.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Sucks, because the book is outstanding and otherwise the movie looks okay but yeah Depp looks friggin' ridiculous. What's up with those albino contact lenses?

Really fake-looking contacts always bug me more than other crappy makeup effects. Like... would anyone actually give a poo poo if Depp's eyes weren't the same colour as Whitey Bulger's?

Edit: Adam Scott outta nowhere in that trailer too.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

soggybagel posted:

Weird makeup? Albino eyes?

Did we watch the same trailer. He has aged makeup on a bit but its too look more like the actual subject. And his eyes are pale blue, like the real Whitey. Not red??

No one's confused about why he has the makeup on.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

hahaha

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

David Oyelowo in Nightingale

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8hire8Ooe8

Have no idea what it's about but I'm very down.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Is this like a Wesley Willis thing?

I don't think so--well, other than the mental issues--but I thought it was something like that too. Especially with some of the outfits in the trailer.

Apparently Oyelowo is playing a war vet.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

TheFallenEvincar posted:

I liked the original film once I realized it was basically just Sci-Fi L.A. Confidential (p.s. hey if someone asks you if you've told anyone else about the dark secret you've just discovered and exclusively divulged to them alone, maybe just vaguely say "Yeah...just a few close friends of mine"). Too bad about the Fox series though.

Minority Report is amazing, and even though it has a generally great reputation I still think it's underrated. It stealthily inspired a shitload of modern sci-fi.

Also, yeah, Colin Farrell is basically Future Jack Vincennes in that movie.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Right? Dude wrote Moneyball, Malice, The American President, A Few Good Men and The Social Network. Say what you want about his TV shows but that's a hell of a track record.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

so, one good movie then

laaaaaame

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials sounds like a sketch show parody of YA adaptations.

And is there really an organization called WCKD in those movies?!

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

New trailer for Black Mass

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLDjqLbh09E

Looks good, hell of a cast, but I still think Depp's makeup would look a million times better without those awful contacts.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Did you see The Marked Ones? It was a spinoff unrelated to the core numbered movies and it was easily the most fun of any of them.

Haunted Simon supremacy.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

kiimo posted:

MY old boss at WB did that trailer. He loves his hip hop, did 42 with Jay-Z and the Gangster Squad trailer with rap as well. He's fighting the good fight against conservative WB cues.

He's doing a drat good job because those trailers were easily better than the movies.

(42 was all right, but its trailer is amazing)

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Yeah, as a Canadian kid Are You Afraid of The Dark? was definitely The poo poo. It was weird seeing one of the Midnight Society kids as a weatherman years later.

The episode that's always stuck with me is the swimming pool ghost zombie thing.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Supercar Gautier posted:

Well I will say I was not expecting a Dan Castellaneta cameo.

Eh, he needed the D'oh.

:haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Spotlight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zg5zSVxx9JM

I love procedural investigations, especially involving journalism. Hopefully this makes up for Kill The Messenger burning me.

I mean, with Tom McCarthy directing and that cast, come on.

• Locked thread