Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

muscles like this? posted:

The last gasp of that would probably be the Episode One teaser they attached to Wing Commander. After that pretty much everything went online.

Actually the last gasp of it was when Last Flight of the Osiris (from the Animatrix) was exclusively previewed attached to Dreamcatcher. Otherwise, yeah.

Odd fact: the first movie to have its own official website was Stargate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

One movie that always comes to mind when thinking about trailers is Cellular, a pretty stupid and forgettable semi-comedic thriller that was re-cut to look super dramatic and suspenseful.

The Ryan Phillipe movie "Way of the Gun" went in the exact opposite direction - the trailer made it out to be a fairly light buddy action movie, when in fact it was quite dark.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Robert Denby posted:

To keep this on topic for recent trailers on upcoming releases, let's talk about "Cosmopolis", David Cronenberg's new film starring Robert Pattinson, which is premiering at Cannes soon. I think this thing's either going to be a phenomenal piece of satire… or the next "Southland Tales". Judge for yourself.

Looks like someone doesn't want to be remembered as Edward Cullen.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

qntm posted:

Trailer music isn't usually by the same artist as the movie's score

Trailer music is usually Lux Aeterna by the Kronos Quartet, or some other piece taken from another movie's score.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Mierenneuker posted:

Speaking of Two Steps from Hell: if there's any song that comes close to being used as much as Lux Aeterna, it's this one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRLdhFVzqt4

Or any song from E.S. Posthumus' album "Unearthed" for that matter.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AEU5pBxY6E

I've never heard either of those two songs in a trailer that I recall. Link/name a few examples?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

I was at the cinema last night to see The Raid (which is loving awesome, by the way) and they had the cardbard marquee for Rock of Ages in the lobby. When I saw the "pick up the cardboard guitar and have a friend take a photo of you being a rock star!" thing on the front, I knew without looking at the cast that the movie was going be complete and utter poo poo. I don't care who's in it or what it's about - merely purchasing a ticket is going to be enough to shrivel your brain with psychic herpes. Don't do it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

LesterGroans posted:

One of the strangest, funniest audience reactions to a trailer I've seen was the full-body groan/laughs when "From The Mind of M Night Shyamalan", or whatever, appears during the trailer for Devil.

... he said, admitting he had not seen Lady In The Water or The Village.

Nothing strange about people groaning at the thought of a movie from the arse of M Night Shyamalan. The guy's a good director, but he needs to do a couple of work for hire projects to remind people of the fact while he takes longer on his own scripts. Tarsem Singh has the same problem.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

zenintrude posted:

It's available here: http://www.aceshowbiz.com/news/view/00051600.html

Echoing comments that it looks like a goofy, overwritten version of The Raid.

[edit] Slowmo

"Judgement time". :shepicide:

The rest of it doesn't look too bad, though. I'll give it a chance.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Golden Bee posted:

I'm not too excited for another Depp/Bonham movie about trains

What was the last one?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

achillesforever6 posted:

Well aren't all fairy tales really dark stories that have been lighten up in the past century?

The last couple of centuries now, but yes. They're still meant for children aged five to ten, though, as they were originally told as much to instruct and to warn as to entertain. Take Little Red Riding Hood, for example: a girl talks to a strange man in the woods and tells him where she's going. The stranger then murders her grandmother and lies in wait for the girl. When she arrives, he rapes and murders her. The lesson for the child: never talk to strangers. If you're only familiar with the Disneyfied versions, let me tell you, the originals are more like the Saw movies. The stepsisters in Cinderella cut off pieces of their feet so the slipper will fit - and the slipper itself was a sexual innuendo that has been lost in translation - and the prince who wakes Sleeping Beauty did a hell of a lot more than just kiss her.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

ProfessorProf posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNVaEoQMarg
Storage 24 looks like a very standard scifi/horror movie, but it's interesting how much this trailer wants to be the trailer to Alien.

This one's already out on DVD in the UK. It is basically Alien in a warehouse, but it's not bad.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

PriorMarcus posted:

To be fair video uploads are hard! :iiam:

Uploads are easy. Three million simultaneous downloads are hard.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

teagone posted:

Those fighter jets seemed like they were doing jack poo poo and offered up little more than a tickle, and I'm sure dropping nuclear bombs on the monsters would cause too much collateral damage than anyone would like. Enter Jaegers.

I still don't think it's a good plan. They're Jaegers, and they don't have hats.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Deadpool posted:

Probably not safe to watch at work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvDLWlxxcak

:stare:

Jesus Christ.

Any chance of telling us what it is?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Aatrek posted:

Okay, I've never seen the original 'Evil Dead', but I always assumed it was a horror-comedy-hybrid type film because of Bruce Campbell's usual on-screen personality and that he plays a dude with a chainsaw for a hand? Am I just totally, completely wrong, or is the trailer for the new version is a different take on the story completely?

Not a different take so much as a different style. The original Evil Dead was played straight, but it's still obvious that they were having fun making it. This remake is just po-faced by the numbers splatter flick #264. I've discussed the red band trailer before on other forums, and the near universal consensus was that it killed any desire anyone had to see the movie. I'm amazed it's getting a positive response here.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

bathhouse posted:

But what do your other forums say about this new redband trailer? :ohdear:

Oh, this is a new trailer?

*watches*

I can't speak for anyone else as my PC died and I don't have forum access, but my opinion hasn't changed at all. There wasn't a single thing in that trailer that was even remotely scary, and it didn't even manage to gross me out. The thus far perfect record of remakes of 70s/80s horror movies being irredeemable poo poo is in no danger of being sullied.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

GonSmithe posted:

Congratulations. Just because you don't find a woman slicing her own tongue in half, then snowballing it with another woman scary or disgusting doesn't mean that the rest of the world doesn't.
I mean like honestly, do you really think coming here and saying NOPE IT'S TOTALLY NOT SCARY, YOU'RE ALL JUST DUMB is a cool thing to do? It's not.

I didn't say that, I just stated my opinion that this movie is not good. I've been freaked out by things far less gruesome than the tongue slicing scene before now, when they were done well. Admittedly it's not easy to build suspense in a two minute trailer, but these people just seem to be throwing as much blood at the wall as they can and seeing what sticks. The original movie did the same, of course, but it was made on the weekends by a bunch of amateurs with no money and lots of imagination. This is a professional studio production with lots of money and no imagination.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Deadpool posted:

Your opinion that this movie is not good means less than nothing since you've not seen it.

I agree that we can only judge by what we've seen. But trailers usually include a representative sample where they don't just crowbar in all the best bits, and what's in that trailer isn't good. So either the best bits of this movie are bad, the movie in general is bad, or they made a trailer out of stuff cribbed from the original and they managed to do all of it worse. None of these possibilities bode well for the film's quality.

Could I be wrong? Of course. And even if I'm not there's no reason why you shouldn't go see it if you want and make up your own mind. But when we've seen remakes of Halloween, The Fog, Nightmare on Elm Street, Black Christmas, and many other classics of the period and each and every one of them has been an apocalyptic turd, and when the trailer for Evil Dead looks no better, I don't think it's unfair to presume.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Deadpool posted:

That tends to happen when the original is insanely overhyped and incredibly mediocre.

Next week, on People With No Taste...

Seriously, Ringu has fallen foul of the large number of identikit J-Horror films that followed it. It doesn't feel as original now as it did ten years ago.

(It's also a movie that is much better watched on VHS than DVD, for obvious reasons. The first time I watched it the phone rang just as I stopped the tape. :ghost:)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Looks like Carruth is the next Richard Kelly.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

The Slippery Nipple posted:

Was that supposed to leave us with no idea what the hell this film is about or am I just retarded?

You're not retarded. I don't know how anyone could be even slightly inspired to see that movie by the trailer. I'm not, and I thought Primer was great.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

qntm posted:

Primer's trailer for those who haven't seen it.

I concur that this is not a good trailer. Just to start with, what is anybody supposed to make of the ERBP production company's logo? The first time I saw it (in the credits of Primer) I thought it was a diagram of the timeline or something. On the other hand, I'm curious as to how a "good" trailer for Primer would actually have gone, because it doesn't seem to me like there's an obvious route through that. So maybe Upstream Color is equally difficult to trailerise. I hope it is.

A more mainstream trailer for Primer could explain there was a device and show a bit of the fallout resulting from its use without giving away what it did.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

The MSJ posted:

In Avengers 2, he will just lift up a rock in the middle of the savannah where a secret fingerprint sensor verifies his identity and a new suit of armor will come flying out of a nearby trashcan. Much like in the tokusatsu series Cybercop.

If Iron Man 3 is in any way based on Extremis, that would be a backstep.

Stark ends up carrying the armour as liquid nano-machinery in the hollows of his bones.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The trailer story seems to follow the comic pretty closely except for a thing here and there. So aside from the really horrible poo poo, I think they're just going to go where the comic went.

Yeah. The first movie diverged only because Mark Millar hadn't finished writing the scripts for the book yet. He says the second movie is pretty much dead on to the Hit-Girl mini and Kick-rear end 2 the book.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Ror posted:

Game over man, GAME OVER!!

Oh god that was almost 30 years ago. :negative:

And True Lies, Tombstone and Apollo 13 were almost 20. Frailty was more recent. To be fair, though, Paxton has been working on Big Love for the last five years and hasn't made many movies of any quality.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Jewmanji posted:

I think there's pretty much consensus on the fact that Crash is the worst movie to ever win Best Picture.

Only among people who have not seen Chicago.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

TTBF posted:

That's the big twist, but not the ending. The ending is all the footage (of the found footage film, in other words the footage you are watching) was either destroyed or rendered unrecoverable. There is absolutely no possible way for that footage to have made its way to Earth and be assembled into a movie.

Who's to say that it did? We could be watching the aliens' holiday video. "Look, here's that nice couple we met in the Sea of Tranquility ... how did we kill them again, G'hrarg?"

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

kiimo posted:

Receiving lots of flack for the look of Smaug. I personally think too many people wanted him to look like the feline dragon in the Rankin-Bass cartoon.

I'm more annoyed that they showed Smaug at all. That should have been a "Whoa, gently caress" moment for the moviegoer. You work in the business, kiimo - why is it acceptable for trailer makers to do the cinematic equivalent of premature ejaculation?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

PaganGoatPants posted:

To get the people in seats.

You can do that without blowing your entire wad, though. This kind of thing has been an ever increasing trend since The Phantom Menace trailer showed Darth Maul whipping out his double-ender, and it's annoying.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Nice use of Dredd movie score there. Not so fond of the choice of content, though. There's much better stuff for trailers in the material.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

kiimo posted:

For the past two weeks I've heard this being cut down the hall and it just sounded like Sandra Bullock having an orgasm over and over.

Do you plan to see it two or three times, kiimo?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Ror posted:

Here's one of the press blurbs:

Hm. I'm not sure about that. I guess the source material is a bit thin to be a feature-length film. The visuals and general spirit definitely seem to be there though.

So basically, it's Around The World in 80 Days with a bootstrapping American instead of a wealthy Englishman?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

DivisionPost posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rS8zOLOcPMQ

Never let it be said that Spike Jonze is an average filmmaker.

I agree, "average" is something he can only aspire to.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

BonoMan posted:

the gently caress?

I don't like his movies, I don't think they're good. YMMV.

I do think Jonze is a good actor, though - he was certainly on par with Clooney in Three Kings.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

It's not exactly trailer stuff, but Danny Trejo has said that the mooted title for a final film in the Machete trilogy is Machete Kills Again ... In Space!

If they go with that, I am in.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

PaganGoatPants posted:

I hope so. Who doesn't like live action Saints Row 3/4?

I hated Saints Row 3. I have no idea why anyone likes it, either, it's a pitiful excuse for a game.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

PaganGoatPants posted:

It looks ok. I thought the trailer would be much worse. Hope they bring his badass car back. That's all I wanted as a kid.

There are few four door cars that are less badass than a Ford Taurus.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

kiimo posted:

You know that Robocop trailer really did kill any discussion of Gravity. But it's okay because the ED-209 made an appearance.

Except ED-209 was literally the first thing from the movie we saw, in viral marketing - what, a year ago now?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

zenintrude posted:

The inclusion of "From the Producers of Underworld" didn't tip you off first?

I don't know - the new Sleepy Hollow series is from the writers of Transformers and the director of Underworld, and it's well worth watching in its own silly little way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Steve Yun posted:

Yay, Redford playing a CIA spook

What's up with the new costume? Is this going to be a grimdark Captain America

It's a fairly grim story. I think they've got the Winter Soldier dead on, though.

• Locked thread