Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Gatsby actually looks really good, didn't expect that. Both music cues are great, by the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

CG would be a long way from final render at this point. As someone who hasn't read the book, it looks a lot more interesting than most zombie films.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

LesterGroans posted:

I like the idea of modern-day Shakespeare, especially with that cast and shot in black and white. But holy poo poo... like, I've never seen b&w look flatter and uglier. It looks...accidental or something.

Who was Whedon's DP on Serenity? Because that movie actually looks good, aside from the final fight.

Jack Green. He also shot Unforgiven, The Bridges of Madison County, and some of the better looking comedies from the last decade. Serenity's blocking is still Whedon's typical mix of bland shot, reverse-shot and overly gimmicky VFX enabled long-takes, but Jack Green exposes and lights it very nicely. David Boyd did some very nice work with the TV series to, given the production's limitations.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

The top rated comment is someone complaining that they cast one character as "a chick. a black chick." loving YouTube.

The production design for the film just looks like a video game to me. As others said, it doesn't have any sort of an oppressive feel, and I always imagined the visual execution as being more "grounded." Not necessarily 2001, but that sense of plausibility in the aesthetic. I think that's what's killing me the most.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

GrandpaPants posted:

Trailer for Wong Kar Wai's The Grandmaster:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uC5amKLgnFU

Goddamn some of those scenes look gorgeous. I'm not sure what it says that the American trailer lacks dialogue of any sort and is marketed as an action film, though. I mean, I realize there has to be fights, but I also assume that it's mostly a dramatic movie. Either way, I'm there.

Yeah, in reality there isn't a whole lot of fighting in the movie at all, and most of it is within the first act. The film actually follows other characters besides Ip Man for long portions of the runtime, and is much more of a historical drama than a martial arts film.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

I've never heard of a trailer that said "In Post Production" before, but here is a new trailer for Terry Gilliam's upcoming film The Zero Theorem, featuring Christoph Waltz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKT296jh8xg

The "In Post Production" part is because it's a sale trailer for studios that leaked. Wasn't supposed to be shown to the general public.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

BonoMan posted:

Oh there might be some tweakage, but it'll almost only be some moderate color correction and finishing some f/x shots and that it's a bit odd to think that minor tweakage will take it a huge leap from "British TV Show" to "Feature Film." I don't think it looks like a cheap British TV show anyway so I find that all a little odd. Anyway.. my point is that I think what we see in that trailer will be almost 99% what we see on the final screen.

Also that "ah. no." I posted last night seemed really assholish... didn't mean for it to.

Nah, a polished and clean grade can make a huge difference, as can a tighter cut. That does look rough, and I'd expect the final print to look much more "professional."

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

BonoMan posted:

I'm very very familiar with grading and what it can do.

I don't want to turn this into a dick waving contest, but so am I. Quite a few goons are in the industry, Kiimo even works with trailers for a living. The footage in that trailer could, and I suspect will, look a lot cleaner.

In the clip you posted the production looks great, except the compositing is rough and the grade isn't even completely even consistent in exposure between shots. Those are two things that make a huge difference in the apparent production values, and both could likely be fixed by release (At least the second certainly will).

Also, one of the main identifying traits of BBC productions to me is their garish and sloppy grading jobs, so it's perfectly likely that a final clean grade will make the difference between "BBC level" and "major motion picture."

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Sep 3, 2013

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

massive spider posted:

The hand is reportedly some kind of legal loophole thing, its permissible to use robots in law enforcement so long as a human hand pulls the trigger.

Hah, that's great.

The trailer is cut in a bland way, but the actual material seems fine. Good cast, good director, hints at some good satire. I'll give it a chance.

Marketing needs to find a better angle though. I don't think I'd pay much attention if I wasn't familiar with the director or property.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

That looks awful. I like a lot of the people involved, but nothing about the actual footage looks good.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I hate that color grade so much. The rest of the movie looks interesting, but the magenta skin and cyan everything else is so unappealing to look at.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

If you want an experience close to the book you can just read the book. Adaptations aught to be their own thing.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Chris Colombus' direction is pretty bog standard "Composition 101" in terms of shot construction and blocking... but man at least he achieves that much. The shots aren't flashy or especially interesting, but they at least have a basic level of intent with angle, proportion, eye-line, etc. supporting the story, which is more than I can say for the majority of the Marvel directors. The last few films, have so many perplexing angle choices. Like the crew just wanted to have coverage, and so long as the action was in frame it didn't particularly matter what that frame was.

On Ex Machina, I'll give anything written by Alex Garland a fair shake. Not sure how I feel about the production design, seems impractically flashy for the content, but the final films tone might accommodate it.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Yeah the later movies got really drab production design wise. I recall thinking it looked like Underworld with a moderately larger budget. The photography ranged from solid to gorgeous though. I don't have a clear memory of which film is which after 4 though. Delbonnel shot one and knocked it out of the park. He took the subdued aesthetic and used it to get some really lovely compositions, in a haunting and ghost-like manner.

Edit: Hah, looked it up and Delbonnel's was Half-Blood Prince. I'll have to disagree with you there. Maybe you saw it poorly projected, or in a badly calibrated television? I say that because the way he played with subtle and dark tones could easily go to poo poo if the presentation was somehow sub-par.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Oct 31, 2014

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Not really brave, just silly and angsty.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

twoot posted:

Not a trailer yet but the first piece of promotional video came out earlier today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzIe1aMAzzU

The interior of the ship looks more like the interior of the Prometheus than I'd expected. Also saw some promo stills of Matt Damon in his suit, and it looks so much like they took Prometheus and the current NASA suits and split the difference that I'm wondering if they didn't actually just modify the Prometheus helmets.

It looks good either way. The helmets in Prometheus have great silhouettes and giving them a rugged and sightly chunkier makeover is cool.

Edit: Here's another shot with the Prometheus suits beside it for fun.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jun 8, 2015

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Yeah, those look like the Prometheus suits. Wouldn't be the first time a big sci-fi movie had its props reused, lots of Starship Troopers stuff shows up in Firefly iirc.

I mean most of that suit is obviously new. The chest plate and pads and overall silhouette are similar but obviously not the same pieces, and the jumpsuit itself is completely different. The helmet itself could have used to the glass from the Prometheus helmets with modifications though. Be surprised that wasn't the case, since as I recall they were slightly expensive to manufacture.

Aside from the glass though, I think it's just a case of Ridley and his production designer liking the aesthetic and sticking to it for the new props.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

LORD OF BUTT posted:

It looks like they just repainted the Prometheus suits and added greebles to me.

Look at the shape of the pads and chestpiece, as well as the fit and material of the jumpsuit. They're definitely new constructions, though conceptually an iteration on the Prometheus suit. That helmet has got to be the same prop with some doodads stuck inside and some lights outside though.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I said come in! posted:

Also, this movie is apparently using new camera technology?

New Alexa 65, with Hasselblad lenses. 65mm sensor, but small enough to be handheld, paired with some incredible glass. And the best living cinematographer.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Lubezki's natural light shoots are well known to be really rough on the crew, because they're natural light shoots and he's a perfectionist. Means long, irregular, and exhausting hours. Tree of Life was pretty famously difficult on its camera crew, and that wasn't even in the wilderness.

Ridley Scott on his commentary for the Duelists, talks about how he misses shooting like that. He was able to do it on that film because he was co-dp, camera operator, art designer, and director, and could just get up and exhaust himself and two willing lead men. But once he moved on to larger films it was impossible, because asking large union crews to work like that would rapidly paint you as the devil.

He kind of got that reputation anyway with Blade Runner's grilling night shoots, funny enough.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Death By The Blues posted:

I would love an Arri camera but they are so expensive and you generally can't buy them. The Ursa Mini will be the next hopefully great thing in affordable film making. Can the human eye really tell the difference between 4 and 6k? Now that there is 8k coming out in certain cameras, at which point do they stop; or does it go on forever? Also, no one really can afford an Arri camera to out right buy, they are really really expensive

High end cinema cameras have never really been intended to be purchased by beyond rental houses. Maintenance and upkeep would be a nightmare for an individual owner, and they aren't even designed to be operated solo. The Arri isn't really aimed at consumers at all, and the Ursa isn't exactly comparable. There's a huge gulf between the cameras, that involves a lot more than resolution. The 65 is a completely different format, for one thing, and Alexas are likely to put through much more trying situations physically for another.

It is cool that a consumer range cameras are becoming more of a thing, and something like the Ursa Mini is especially cool as it's a 15 stop 4.6k sensor that can have a single operator and be thrown in a backpack, and then be finished in 2k for cinema projection. That's a lot of fun and makes things more accessible for people cutting their teeth. It won't allow you to capture images like in The Revanant though, and it won't hold up to the physical demands of a shoot like Mad Max either.

Edit: The question about the human eye seeing the difference in resolution is complex as hell. Between 4 and 6k playback, not really, but in capturing between 4 and 6k, yes. You'll get a cleaner image with more information in not just definition, but tone and color as well. Also you generally want to finish in a lower resolution than you capture in. An image captured in 4k and scaled down to 2k will look better than one shot natively at 2k. The Revenant, for example is capturing in 6.5k but finishing in 4k. Also with the 65 it's not just an issue of more pixels, but larger ones. It's a 65mm, which means the extra pixels aren't coming from packing more per mm, and it allows for more captured photons. Also allow for nicer medium format-like glass.

8k is pretty much the roof though really, for conventional methods of display at least. Lets you finish cleanly at 6k for the biggest cinema screens. Resolutions beyond that might help specialty visual effects processes, I guess.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jul 19, 2015

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I remember when the Red first came out because every online camera discussion got overwhelmed by Canon vs Nikon style bullshit, except it was Red vs The World.

It was kind of worth it to see first time shooters tell Roger Deakins he shouldn't use the Alexa because the Red has more resolution, and Deakins finding very polite ways to indicate he didn't care.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Yeah the movie trailer is awful, but not as awful as that StarCraft thing. WarCraft looks syfy bad, but that looks Asylum bad.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Vagabundo posted:

I haven't watched Enter the Void in a while, but yeah, you saw the guy's arms and hands, but IIRC, it wasn't shot with a fisheye lens like Hardcore Henry appears to have been and there were several sequences shot over-the-shoulder of the main character.

The first person stuff only lasts for the first 15 minutes of Enter the Void really. After he dies you're technically still in first person, but the first person of a disembodied spirit, which means the camera can go wherever the hell it wants.

The lenses used were extremely wide, but not lovely gopro fisheyes.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

This might sound controversial but the M7 trailer is probably the better one here. From looking at it I know exactly what kind of movie it is advertising and why I might want to watch it. From the Handmaiden trailer I can tell absolutely nothing but the fact that the trailer is really cool. All the fast cuts between unconnected scenes, the ominous, pumping music, does it have anything to do with the movie? Is the movie like that? The internet tells me it's a historical drama, is it gonna resemble the trailer in style and mood? This trailer is not gonna attract the kind of audience who cares about historical dramas, but people expecting something totally different, and nobody is going to be happy. See the trailer to Drive, perhaps Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (haven't actually seen the movie for the latter)

The Handmaiden trailer does resemble the final film in style and mood, yes. Extremely stylish editing is a staple of Park Chan Wook's films, the music is from the film, and this is not a movie for someone who wants a typical historical drama. It's also a bit of a difficult film to cut a trailer for, since it's appeal leans so heavily on dark and graphic content. It's violent, it's sleek, it's cool. And like all Park's films, it's pretty hosed up.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jul 29, 2016

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Never heard about the dude, and I doubt it's going to be the focus of the movie itself if really mentioned at all (beyond him saying he loves his people), but he seems like he was a remarkably talented and dutiful politician who absolutely deserves wider recognition.

Spoilers if you didn't know this already, but he led the independence movement that turned the British protectorate into the democratic nation of Botswana and served as the country's first president. The country had one of the fastest growing economies in the world afterward (But eventually got hit hard by HIV).

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I don't play AC games, the movie was only on my radar because of Macbeth. I was really interested to see that director and Fassbender working together again, but then I thought the movie looked awful after the previous trailers and disregarded it.

This trailer made it look cool and fun though, so it's back on my radar. Kinda nice to see fun pulpy scifi action that's actually well shot and crafted after the onslaught of alternately sloppy (Marvel) or dreary (DC) comic movies. Are people mostly just angry about things being changed?

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

bows1 posted:

never seen an Anime. worth a watch?

Oshii's two movies are classics. Slow, meditative, and moody. They're absolutely worth watching, but don't expect anything like that trailer.

The movie seems to be drawing far more from the flashy and more action oriented TV series, though it gets its narrative from the 2nd season which had its overarching story laid down by Oshii. The second season had a blend of the moody philosophical slant of Oshii's movies and the flashy action of the 1st season. That compromise in tone is about as much as lovers of the two films can probably hope for from a big budget Hollywood adaptation, and if they can strike the balance as well as the show did, I'll be satisfied.

We should be getting our more restrained neo-noir with Villenueve's Blade Runner sequel next year anyway.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

A lot of white faces doesn't bother me since the world of the anime was multicultural, with a lot of Americans, Russians, etc. Nation's are only just barely relevant anymore and the northern reaches of Japan seem to be in Russia. Hell, the movie's iconic theme is a Mandarin wedding song sung to the melody of a Polish dirge with a traditional Japanese vocal style.

It's not really just multicultural with a bunch of white faces mixed in though, is it? Aside from Aramaki every named character is white. I understood the (lovely) reality of needing a white girl to play Motoko, since there's no way this movie happens without an international big name that you can slap on posters, and what Japanese actress fits that bill? How many non-white actresses fit that bill? Symptoms of a system wide disease. But why does every other supporting character, save one, also have to be white?

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

The Joker antics are pretty far beyond the normal boundaries of Method and decency. Normally it's just obnoxiously pretentious at worst.

When playing a character whose entire life and thought process revolves around a very rigidly defined set of beliefs, philosophy, and practices, going through the standard entrance procedure for said lifestyle is a pretty cool and reasonable thing to do in the interest of accuracy.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Frogfingers posted:

My whole thing is divorcing art and commerce

I'm trying to decide which part of your whole paragraph was the most naive. It's a tough choice, but I'm going to settle on this.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Frogfingers posted:

Why are people excited for this and not see if for the cashgrab it is?

The original was also an attempt to grab cash. Every studio picture is. BR wasn't very successful at the outset, but I'll bet a visually stunning scifi from the Alien guy starring the Star Wars guy sounded like a golden ticket at the time. Of course directors also want to create great films within the realm of what is commercially viable. At the time it was scifi spectacles, these days sequels are the safe bet.

Of course it's a cash grab. That doesn't mean it won't also be good art.

Ridley ever questions why people think he tried to fight the studio recuts and narration on the commentary and in many interviews, it wasn't the case. In his own words, "It is a business. Too many people are investing their livelihoods for it not to be a business."

The idea of art being separate from commerce is just incredibly precious. It was the norm for naive first year students at my art school, but it's pretty laughable to hear from anyone who should be beyond that level of awareness. Hell, it was already a joke long before people like Warhol and Hurst started having fun with it.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Dec 21, 2016

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

bows1 posted:

I just rewatched this movie and man is it good.

Also Prometheus was great, the new Alien trailer left me cold, but i still want to see it.

I'd be less optimistic about Covenant if it wasn't for all the set photo leaks a few months back. The trailer looks so generic and slashery, but the set reveals still have a lot of Prometheus' big scope weirdness going on.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Yeah man, he's loving great and his style is perfect for Dune.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

SomeJazzyRat posted:

I don't know how it will relate to the original anime, but I think it's worth a watch. But fair warning, the original isn't really a film people get enthusiastic about. It's a film you can respect, admire in both it's philosophy and depiction of action. But it really isn't an amazing film, it's like a slow burn that is cut short at 80 min. It's got a lot of great bits, but it doesn't come together in a perfectly cohesive way.

To put it more simply, I remember a lot of scenes, but I'd be damned if I could tell you how they all flow together. Still good though. Hell of a lot more watchable and accessible than most anime.

Bullshit. It's a loving classic and one of my favorite movies!

Oshii is like if Nicholas Winding-Refn did animation though, so super divisive. Brutal violence and long moody metaphorical segues. The exposition is so light that apparently even big fans don't understand the full story (I think it's perfectly intelligible if you pay attention, but people in the dedicated thread disagree). GitS is about the closest he got to a mainstream action movie, it's like his Drive.

That said, the new film is a new story with some shared set-pieces and a heavier emphasis on flash and action. So which you see first probably doesn't matter. They will be altogether different creatures.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Feb 3, 2017

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Tiriganiaq posted:

This film looks like it will take a lot of inspiration from the tv-show too, which was less pondering so who knows.

There are nods to every incarnation of the series in the trailers, even Arise. Most of the imagery is from the 95 film, but they've straight up said this movie won't be so philosophically minded. (They also said the reason it's not so brooding is because they don't have a long enough runtime, but this film will be far longer than Oshii's fairly short first film. Some dumb PR right there.)

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Renoistic posted:

The manga is pretty unclear about this so I can't really help you unfortunately. Sex is treated the same way as in Destruction Man though

Demolition?

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Violator posted:

drat, I certainly didn't remember that part. I looked it up on YouTube and it's a lot grosser than I remember. For some reason I remember it taking place in the day light, in the middle of an action scene, and it being played more heroic and not out of apparent desperation. I must have imagined the entire thing.

Maybe not. The scene was reimagined in the tv series, in a less dark and more "badass" manner. It's in daylight with a six armed exosuit instead of a tank. (It's also not nearly as good.)

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Spatula City posted:

I was distracted by the lousy dub. I should probably just watch the subtitled version instead.

but really, the anime is SO MUCH BETTER.

Is Innocence good? I have it on DVD and I've been meaning to watch it one of these days.

Innocence is very good, but even more divisive than the first movie. If you primarily like SAC, then Innocence kind of goes in the opposite direction to be even more artsy. It does have the most bombastic final action sequence from any GitS iteration though, so maybe you'll still like it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

algebra testes posted:

Beat Takeshi looks so good in this.

I can't remember the specifics from the original anime was she a person who thinks she's part human part robot, but actually 100% robot and artificial, or was it the other way around?

No. She had an existential crisis about the meaning of identity in a world where memories can be manipulated/invented and AIs develop sentience. But she was always consensually a human brain in a robot body (In fact she pursues taking a step further by the end...), and Hanka were never villains.

They're just adding a dash of robocop. A crisis of identity because you are a pawn of an evil corporation is easier to sell than a crisis of identity due to the philosophical implications of emerging technology.

I'm pretty excited for this based on imagery alone though. Even if the story doesn't have much to do with GitS, the visual design is so on point that I don't care.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Feb 13, 2017

• Locked thread