Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Snapchat A Titty posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfout_rgPSA
I think this one was the first I saw, that really made me think about how trailers are essentially seperate from the movies they're advertising, for good & bad.

Generally regarded as a classic. It won some kind of fake trailer award way back when.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Mr. Squishy posted:

It's a kids movie and you're not a kid anymore, why would you expect to enjoy it?

TMNT was originally pretty dark, as comics go, filled with bloody violence and weird, disturbing characters/themes that would generally appeal to the 18-25 age range. The 1990 movie may have been PG, but much of the dramatic tension could at least be appreciated by the adult crowd. It was also the most successful independent theatrical release in history at the time and its content was at least somewhat removed from studio kids fare.

Needless to say, the Mirage comics by Eastman and Laird are loving awesome, and I'm not much of a comics nut to begin with. The appeal is mainly due to the Frank Miller influence, even if it all started as a parody.

In the late 80s the authors licensed TMNT for a redesign to make toys. The toy company was nervous about the gritty feel so they spun it off into the light-hearted reboot that most people are familiar with today.

Anyways, the point is, there's no reason why the TMNT license needs to be targeted at preteens exclusively. :toxx::smugmrgw::mrwhite::mrgw::henget:

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jul 25, 2014

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Mr. Squishy posted:

I can only interpret this as the editor went out and bought himself a trophy with a custom name-plate after he hit a certain number of views.

I think that trailer predates Youtube, but you're probably on to something regardless.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

BonoMan posted:

Mad Max: Fury Road trailer.

Holy poo poo, I'm loving psyched. If anything it looks like a stylistic visual orgy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iO0jUAzOsV8&t=151s

Wow.

I just want to get up and dance right now.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Is it a remake of some of the things from Thunderdome, or does it take place after Thunderdome? Max has long hair in the beginning of the trailer so I'm confused.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Yuck, in a million different ways. Saying something is 'like The Big Chill' is not a compliment.

Also, Aubrey Plaza has a terrible face.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Juno sucks rear end though.

Sucks rear end...forever.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

kiimo posted:

You do? I think it makes for better movies and a closer experience to books when you do it. I wish Ender's Game had done it.

I think getting 'closer to the books' is exactly the problem. The idea that books can't be adapted with any ounce of creativity these days is depressing, and it makes the two-part finales look pathetic. Who is watching this poo poo? If you want an experience close to the book, why not read the book?

edit; PhilHoff is still dead. I always forget. :(

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Sep 16, 2014

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Ror posted:

I found a copy here: http://www.metatube.com/en/videos/46998/Prince-of-Persia-NBC-Life-Style/ Very :darksouls:

All of the reaction shots are pretty amazing but I think it's the music and editing that really make it.

My word, that is a golden oldie.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Jewmanji posted:

The trailer for Laura Poitras' new Snowden documentary, CitizenFour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiGwAvd5mvM

There's no amount of hyperbole I could deploy to communicate how good this is going to be.

Man, it's out in two weeks. Hyped.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

That's about as good as the first Avengers trailer.

That is to say, that wasn't very good at all.

Yeah, gotta agree, pretty run-of-the-mill trailer. I guess I'll just watch that Fury Road trailer a few more times.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

All the Transformer movies suck. Whether satire or straight action movies they are not fun to watch.

I beg to differ.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

edit: that said I would still rather watch any Bay movie again than The Avengers. Whedon's direction is actually a more extreme example of the typical criticism's of Bay

I sort of agree. I like Whedon more as a writer than a director. I'd be interested to read more of what you have to say on this matter.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Bolek posted:

How did he fail? Because his movie didn't look like No Country For Old Men?

You called it, friend-o.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

GrandpaPants posted:

Teaser trailer for Ex Machina, from the writer of 28 Days Later and Sunshine. I feel kinda cold on it, but that may be because it's not based on the comic book series of the same name. But from the writing credentials, it's good to see that the trailer shows the tonal shift that the movie will inevitably have halfway through.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-HiQ9K2uf4

I'm on board.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

BlueBayou posted:

When did trailers change? Like.. ok if you look at the old ghostbusters trailer, it doesnt have the same pizzaz as modern trailers. Its actually pretty boring.

The first footage trailer for Jurassic Park is somewhat meh.

Thinking back to when i was younger, the first trailer I ever really got loving pumped for was Episode 1. And even that one...

So at what point do trailers become a bigger deal. I feel like its probably episode one. Where people would go see movies JUST to see the trailer.

I'd say in the mid 90s, and primarily with action movies. Theaters were just getting much louder at that point (consolidation of American media is a theme of the 90s). I remember the ID4 trailer being ear-smashing.

But as early as '93 trailers were being pumped up.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Nov 1, 2014

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Trump posted:

I worked as a projectionist and showed many different ID4 trailers, including the movie itself, many many times and don't remember it being any louder than other trailers. Movies has been the last bastion of proper dynamic sound, though it's been slipping lately and started showing signs of the loudness war.

The thing that happened during the 90s though, was theaters getting digital sound and THX, with it's stupid standards and references levels. Every theater is calibrated to play movies at a specific level (at our theater it was 6 out of 10), but I have only once shown a movie at the recommended level, and that was because the mixing was completely hosed and the dialogue was way way too low in the mix. The movie was The Mummy 2. Even when screening movies only for myself, I didn't turn it up to reference, and I loving love loud movies.

I was a projectionist for a little while, too and I know a bit of what you're talking about. The ID4 thing is anecdotal, since I was in middle school and went to see Mission: Impossible several times, I remember the ID4 trailer being incredibly loud, but that theater was running DTS in its earlier days...so it's possible that it wasn't calibrated for the theater properly or that they were just trying to compete with the stadium multiplex across the street by being all about decibels.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

This series is a chameleon.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

twoot posted:

Aubrey Plaza...also known as Tard

Yep, pretty much.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

yawn...until the end of time

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Movie looks good, but that trailer blows.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

^^^^^^^^^^^ I mean, sure, just a tad bit anachronistic though?

Arthe Xavier posted:

The comeback of Cuba Gooding Jr.? Looks promising!

Didn't see him anywhere, pretty sure he's a producer or something.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Mierenneuker posted:

There's a shot of him 2:17 in.

Haha, literally half a second of him, but yeah I checked and Winfrey is producing but Cuba is not. Did he gently caress with Hollywood or something, because he used to be fairly prominent.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

kiimo posted:

It's the reverse Cinderella, Cindirulan. She starts off as a princess and ends up a worthless, unsatisfied concubine.

'History will call us concubines.'

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I guess Universal heard all the complaints about "teasers for trailers" and said gently caress it, because they just posted the Jurassic World trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFinNxS5KN4

Despite some dodgy cgi parkscapes, I kind of dig this.

Is this the movie that will reveal how the xenomorph was invented on Earth by Weyland Yutani?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

I don't think anyone has posted the trailer for The Age of Adaline yet. Not that I'd expect goons to care about the film, especially in the middle of trailers dropping for various big budget films, but it might be the worst trailer from a major studio in a while.

But it has that song from Oblivion on endless repeat :colbert:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Falcon looks weird, like those bad CGI shots of it in the special edition of ESB. It doesn't look right without the big puffy lightsource coming out of the engine.

Teaser rated 3.7/5.0

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

GonSmithe posted:

Wow that looks loving good.

Seriously. Have been a long time fan of Malick but, as good as Tree of Life was, I was starting to feel like he was getting a little too self-indulgent.

I mean, all the classic characteristics of his work are present in the trailer, but it feels like a serious breath of fresh air.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

zandert33 posted:

I don't usually watch trailers, but was tempted into watching this one. Looks really fantastic, it's clearly Malick's style, but I'm liking the more modern setting.

I wonder if some of it was shot concurrently with Sean Penn's stuff from ToL.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Jewmanji posted:

What makes you say that, as opposed to To The Wonder?

Mostly the shots of interior architecture, elevators ascending, sweeping pans of bridges and fancy houses...you know, like the stuff with Sean Penn in ToL.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

PaganGoatPants posted:

I'm about to put the paws on himmmmm *gets knocked out*

JONAH HILL - TRUE STORY #Serial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yboO82KGzgc

a single yawn...forever

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

"huh"

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

The MSJ posted:

Good Kill, a movie about a drone pilot, directed by Andrew Niccol of Gattaca and Lord of War fame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGGpSemB_hs

Probably about time a movie was made on this subject actually.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Looks pretty unremarkable.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

The MSJ posted:

And the one you have been waiting for...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQWyNPK9LvU

Here to indulge my fantasies of free market excess. I can only get off if there's a stock ticker above me and I'm wearing my ball-gag made of thousand-dollar bills.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I'm interested. Looks pretty 'out there' for a debut.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Veib posted:

According to IMDb, Death Wish (1974), a movie based on a novel of the same name, has a body count of 11. Charles Bronson is a vigilante who kills people because he wants to get revenge for his murdered wife. He just wants to make sure this doesn't happen to someone else ever again. The cops can't get poo poo done so what you need is a Good Guy With A Gun™ (yes I am fully aware how awful this premise actually is).

Death Wish 2 (1982) has a body count of 16 and it's like Rocky 2 in that nobody cares.

Meanwhile Death Wish 3 (1985), ie. the best one, has a body count of 83 and a scene where Charles Bronson mows down gang members with a machine gun from a balcony. He shoots a dude with a rocket launcher point blank (both of these weapons are in his Vietnam vet friend's hallway closet because he took them back from the war and nobody noticed). He has a guy who sends him new guns by mail order. By this point Charles Bronson kills people because that's just how he rolls. 1980s happened in full force, the movie's completely insane and absolutely terrible compared to the first one, and I love it.

"They killed The Giggler, man!"

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

"visit DIEDINHOUSE.COM"

:laffo:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Nice! loving nice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Hollismason posted:

So everyone was talking about 50 Shades and how it's coming out and someone shared this Australian film that's I guess playing here soon.

Kind of sort of NWS ish, like no nudity but it's called The Mistress.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmHb6o02snc

Looks loving terrible, but the 13-year-old in me wants more Emmanuelle Béart in Louboutin pumps.

• Locked thread