Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs
I'm not completely sold on DiCaprio as Gatsby, but Carey Mulligan as Daisy is excellent, and I'm particularly digging Tobey Maguire as Nick. He's got that perfect oblivious, chummy look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

kaujot posted:

Agreed. Maguire and Mulligan look like they were born to be cast in this. DiCaprio looks like he doesn't quite fit in, especially as Gatsby.

At first I thought he looked a little too gruff for the socialite setting, I can just hear him growling "OLD SPORT" at a terrified Nick. I think I'm just having trouble divorcing it from some of his other recent roles, and he's definitely growing on me. A couple of the shots in the trailer where he's all collected and stylish are definitely all Gatsby, but the ones where he's growling or shouting aren't selling it for me. Gatsby always seemed more subdued than that to me.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Maxwell Lord posted:

Another common quotation is "The Office" from Michael Kamen's score for Brazil. (Starts at around 0:20)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dvo6ChoKCF4

God, halfway through this I can almost hear the record scratch and subsequent Smash Mouth number.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Skwirl posted:

Unless I missed it, how come no one has posted the greatest trailer of all time?

Stunt Rock

It's super magic.

Holy poo poo is that a wizard

e: Yeah that's a wiz holy poo poo is that a Dracula

Shanty fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jun 11, 2012

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs
The whole fluid/swarming zombie thing looks amazing, a completely original take on this tired-rear end cliché.
Someone in another thread, I think, posted that this seems more like a disaster movie with zombies as the disaster than a zombie movie. I'm pretty okay with that. Plus, from the descriptions people give of the book it sounds like a straight adaptation would have been some kind of terrible tongue-in-cheek exploitation flick, and I think the market's kind of saturated for those.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs
Regarding WWZ, I just like how the wave o' zombies is a great visual shorthand for how the situation is kind of literally snowballing. This big ol wave rolling over people like a necrotic katamari, picking up momentum like crazy.
But then they also have those "red dots gettin bigger" graphics on their magic hollywood computer display showing exactly how many billions of people are getting zombified, so I guess subtlety is out the window after all. That might just be for the trailer, though.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Wheany posted:

I just came back from watching Skyfall and this piece of poo poo was shown in front of it:

Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9246msCh7x4

That could just as well be named "Spiderman and Strawberry shortcake: Witch Hunters"

The only thing that has anything to do with anything is that in the original story Hansel and Gretel went to a witch's house and almost got eaten. And that Hansel and Gretel are two names that people recognize.

My suggestion for the name also satisfies the second condition.

No well this just looks amazing. It's like Van Helsing meets Wrath of the Titans in the woods with Twilight.

e: versus Ghost Rider

Shanty fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Dec 6, 2012

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

GonSmithe posted:

Them on the workout machines absolutely killed me.

The falling robot shot at the end is brilliant too. I thought "well there's no way they're going to be able to replicate a slow motion shot of a giant robot flying through the air and a bunch of cars" but there it is.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I do like a lot of the anthill/human tide imagery.

The more I see of this, the more I love it. It's such a fresh take on the zombie concept. They've kind of re-mystified the zombie. These things are so aggressive and concerted in their efforts that you absolutely cannot imagine them in any of the standard zombie scenarios. I mean what do they even do when there are no people to assimilate? You're never going to be able to interact with these things in the typical ironic "boom headshot" way, and for that alone this looks like a good zombie movie.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

DivisionPost posted:

Hey, guess what time it is!

It's MYSTERY BOX time!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWaAZCaQXdo

Liminal States filmatization? :haw:

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

PaganGoatPants posted:

Getaway - Ethan Hawke (Jason Statham was busy)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBcVxXwFowI

Think Phonebooth but in a car (and jam Selena Gomez in there).

Nice, which Tropic Thunder-esque comedy was this fake trailer made to promote?

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Jewmanji posted:

The premise is really interesting- how does it stand up as a film, divorced from its context? Is this one of those films where the real story is how it was made, or does it work on its own merits? Looks amazing.

The video was taken down. What was it?

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Alehkhs posted:

John Cusack, Adrien Brody, and Jackie Chan bring you a film about the Romans trying to wrest control of the Silk Road from the Han Dynasty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZ2628TiTyw

Sure. Why not?

Brody looks so baller in this, but wow the rest of it looks baaaad.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

davidspackage posted:

Yeah, but to call something within the movie 'animated' doesn't make much sense. Even if you're making 4th wall breaking jokes, "don't make it CG" would seem more sensical. I'm feeling like a dick typing this.

They were probably worried "CG" wouldn't parse with most people. "See gee?" Rather than leaving the joke out entirely, they arrived at the sad compromise of "animated".

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Glazier posted:

Actually Lost was exactly what thinking about so that gives me confidence! I probably should have used more precise wording, what I hate is the building up of mystery in a seeming coherent way only for it to be "explained" by events or agents who were obviously inserted in the narrative when the authors released the story got out of control. Like don't introduce a central character and then 10 chapters later go, "Oh they didn't really matter here's a new guy and he'll explain everything and forget about the other guy."

If anything, it's the opposite of that. Everything circles back to the beginning so hard you get whiplash.

I'm frankly amazed they're doing this. I couldn't even really imagine filming the first book, but it looks like they've cranked up the visual effects on it. One of the frustrating things about the series is that there's very little visually spectacular going on, except for the crawler which is so visually spectacular that's literally unfilmable. Everything else is just animals, plants and landscapes with all these weirdly articulated feelings of something terrible inside of you or in the landscape or the light, the goddamn "terroir". It's amazing how well they've managed to translate that into images, judging by the trailer at least. The oil film sheen on the barrier is a great touch, for instance.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs
Seems like they've beefed it up a bit with more??? monsters, although that may just be trailer editing. I'm still so in for this.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

BonoMan posted:

Dude it took me like 6 months to get through the second one. 80% of it is so loving unnecessary. You get to the last chapter and it's like "goddamn FINALLY things are moving." Third book is fun so far. I'd push through or read a cliff's notes if you can.

Second book is kind of a slog for sure, but yeah it's all worth it for the scene of terroir guy chilling in his crawlspace hideout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

The MSJ posted:

Also this clip from Isle of Dogs is reminding me that I loved Fantastic Mr Fox.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXLkzNomL2o

Seems to have gone down, only alternate I could find is here for some reason:

https://twitter.com/RottenTomatoes/status/961575599620763650

• Locked thread