Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Trade, sir! Discover it! This is you, this is a clue. Get a clue, discover trade!

pctD posted:

That's where I'm at right now. My 660 is showing its age and I don't know if I wanna wait another 6+ months.

You are all not alone. I should be getting the Rift this month, but I'm currently running on a 2x 275 GTXs, which don't have the power nor the ability to run Direct X 10. I'm between getting a 970 as a holdout until the new cards, or just saying "gently caress it" and get a 980ti.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Trade, sir! Discover it! This is you, this is a clue. Get a clue, discover trade!

Paul MaudDib posted:

We might be getting the 1070 or 1080 at Computex in June, but nothing until then and it's anyone's guess as to how papery that launch will be. A full GP104 will probably be 10-15% faster tops at ~$500-600 so if you want performance now then just look for a good sale on a high-end 980 Ti. Last week you could get MSI Golden Edition 980 Tis for $545, that's where I'd pull the trigger if I was looking.

The only other wild card is how quick off the line and aggressively priced the crop-GP104 (eg 970 replacement) will be, since that will probably be in the 980 Ti's ballpark in terms of performance and might be $400-ish. I don't think you will lose more than $100 on a high-end 980 Ti card in the near future either way.

There's always a better card a summer down the road. When the consumer GP100 (eg Titan) launches it's going to be a $1200 card at first, and then gradually drift down in the x80 Ti crop variant and so on. By then Volta will be on the horizon and so on.

If all you want is 970 performance then just buy a 970 though. Or a 780 Ti. Though recommended-spec or no, I don't think the 970 is going to be enough performance for the Rift long-term for serious games on actual engines. Who knows though, maybe this is the kick in the butt to finally optimize game engines a little bit.

Honestly, for myself (and likely bull3964), I have a hard time justifying paying a premium price for a GPU when in less than 90 days, it will likely no longer be the best of the best. It's one thing to buy tech when it first comes out, but it's completely another issue when it's about to be overtaken. That's what's really stressing me out here, is that I have no problem paying $600 for a GPU, but I DO have a problem paying for it if it's at the end of it's peak lifecycle. It's like buying a new iPhone a month before the next one is released. Sadly with the timing of the Oculus and Vive coming out, it puts us in an odd position of having to upgrade to soon to be outdated hardware.

Obviously if we are willing to buy in to VR so soon, we have no problem being early adopters, we just don't want to be late adopters. What is someone who wants the best bang for their buck for VR supposed to do in this situation? It seems like the best solution is to sit on your non-working VR for a couple of months until Pascal hits, or live with a lower end card until that same point. That's not really pleasant but it certainly saves a minimum of $200 in depreciation costs over buying the very soon to be sunset 980ti.

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

dbcooper posted:

Reading this thread recently has me wondering about the coming generation of GPUs, DX12's cleaner/austere framework design and sunk costs.

I purchased my new desktop/gaming machine in May 2015, including a GTX 970.

Due to a combination of laziness, age and being slammed at work I haven't spent any time gaming on it.

If my Steam backlog (and probable future purchases) mostly consists of "older" games1 would I find any benefit from a newer, more-capable DX12 GPU or would my 970 serve me better as I understand it performs better in DX11 and prior?

1 Mass Effect 3, Dragon Age 2/Inquisition, Witcher 2 and 3, new XCOM, RPGs from a few years ago, etc.

If you are not running them on a 4k monitor, or getting a VR device, I should think the 970 will serve you for quite some time.

Disclaimer: I am still running on 275 GTX SLI.

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Tweak posted:

literally bought a 980ti a month ago so i wouldnt have to wait for VR :downs:

I was in the same boat and I just have an unopened Oculus sitting in my room since I can't play it yet. Glad I waited, but I could see wanting to buy a card quick so you could play.

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

bull3964 posted:

Or people who desperately need a card at the beginning of June to keep their $600 VR from being a paperweight :(.

Sitting on an unopened Oculus because it most certainly won't run on my 275 GTX SLI system. HDMI ports, DirectX 10, what are those?

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

It seems that the thinking has changed since the last time I looked at cards, where the external exhaust was preferable to an internal exhaust. Why is internal now prefered, since I'd think venting out the back would be the most useful.

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Durinia posted:

...and my current GPU isn't even on it.

Yeah, maybe I've waited long enough...

I feel your pain, I'm running on Geforce 275 GTXs, where such games like Far Cry 2, and Mass Effect were used as Benchmarks, with resolutions such as 1280 x 1024

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Managed to snag a pre-order FTW from EVGA's site, though tireless waiting for the pages to reload.

You'd think that in 2016 sites would have figured out how to do release day traffic filtering, but I guess not.

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

I'd never even heard of Ashes until I started looking into video cards again. Why do they use benchmarks from a game that basically no one will play?

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

fozzy fosbourne posted:

i put it in my cart .. and then hesitated because it's going to be more than $110 more expensive than that gigabyte g1 preorder I have with Amazon. Maaaaaan, that was hard. :negative:

This was basically my exact thoughts, but with an EVGA FTW on preorder instead.

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

This was one of my first cards (My first being a TI4200 128MB):

It even had the box image on the cooler itself.

This card is still running in a computer I gave to my nephews, over 10 years since I bought the thing

Solvency fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Jun 11, 2016

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Got a shipping notification from EVGA, expected delivery is Thursday for the 1080 FTW. Order time according to email was 6:57

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Sir Kodiak posted:

I'm curious what's going on here:

Well, I'll find out tomorrow and post pictures when it arrives. My guess is the EU spokesperson doesn't know about the US side of things.

Edit from below:

Larrymer posted:

They probably just created a shipping label, who knows though.

No, it has definitely shipped and has moved between two different UPS warehouses in California.

Solvency fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jun 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Ended up getting the 1080 FTW yesterday and played around with it. Overclocking, I was able to get it stable at 2050 Mhz, with no artifacts. The card stays cool really easily though, and even when the fans do turn on they are pretty quiet. Using this with the Rift is simply a dream, no choppiness at all, and I never dropped below 60 frames on Elite Dangerous with max settings.

I think I need a new case though, since the card just BARELY fits in length wise (it's actually touching the drivebays), and I have a old case with non-removable drive bays.