Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
So, Paul has been saying that the bar has been raised for gaming CPUs, and that might be an even bigger issue than it seemed at first. Now we're looking at a console generation build around SSDs. We're definitely going to see games come out on PC where the system requirements include "Put this game on an SSD or go gently caress yourself".

But on top of that, both of these consoles include custom SSD storage controllers to handle decompression. (PS5 seems to have a custom chip, Xboxse.cx has something built into the SoC). When these games come out on PC, they will either A) have uncompressed assets that take up tons of space, or B) require MASSIVE CPU POWER to handle the decompression.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
Can't wait to build an SSD NAS so I can play Witcher 4 without load screens.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
I played around with a high refresh rate display a while back, and did experiments on myself to see what I could notice. Going from 60 fps to 120 was barely noticeable, like the improvement might just be imaginary. Then going from 120 to 60 was like dropping into an unplayable slideshow.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

repiv posted:

Sony's version (and probably MS's but there's less info there) is doing the compression ahead-of-time when the game package is compiled, so they can use a stronger codec that arbitrarily jumps around in the stream to exploit distant redundant data and takes a relatively long time to encode, then the SSD only has to handle decompression on the fly. Doing something like that on PC would require a big industry-wide standardization effort to nail down the codecs and integrate it into operating systems with fallback software decoders for legacy drives, etc, it's not happening any time soon.

I think MS will try to make it happen.

Digital Foundry posted:

The final component in the triumvirate is an extension to DirectX - DirectStorage - a necessary upgrade bearing in mind that existing file I/O protocols are knocking on for 30 years old, and in their current form would require two Zen CPU cores simply to cover the overhead, which DirectStorage reduces to just one tenth of single core.

At some point, someone will make a gaming grade storage controller, complete with the finest blinky lights your money can buy. It will also handle real-time decompression of video game assets.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Kazinsal posted:

Also, it has a :krad: name.

Pfft. Xboxybox uses something called BCPack to compress stuff. Sounds lame. PS5 uses the Kraken Stream.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

FreeLSS

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
Can DLSS be combined with DSR to do cheap SSAA? It should be possible to test it out. Just plug a 1080p monitor into your RTX card and have Control. Set up DSR resolutions, and tell the game to render at 1080 and scale up.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
I'd like to see a GPU made with a massive tower cooler. Make a cooling solution that is deliberately designed to reach the bottom of an ATX case and rest against it. Turn all those slots at the back into an exhaust.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Zero VGS posted:

You can still do that poo poo. If you have $1400 right now you can go nab a full-chip RTX 2080 MXM board for your Clevo laptop. https://www.ebay.com/itm/113656729019

Well, there's your single-slot RTX solution. Just get a totally reliable MXM to PCIe adapter, slot that bad boy in, and graft the laptop's cooling solution onto it.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

DrDork posted:

Generally no. They tend to stop production of the old gen somewhat before the new gen comes out, and from then on it's new gen only. They'll still be available for awhile, though, until stock runs out entirely--usually 6+ months.

Didn't nVidia have a stockpile of old stuff this time around, so they stuck on a newer memory interface, and that's how we got the 1660 line?

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
That fan setup on that 3080 doesn't quite make sense. The second fan on the 'back' is fine, it's pushing air through the heatsink. The fan over the GPU should be a blower fan, blowing some air through exhaust vents, and some other air diagonally through the heatsink. Maybe it's just some kind of mockup.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
I just think it's funny that nVidia has chosen this point in time to release RTX Voice and DLSS 2.0, which are features that would be perfect to build into a new console generation.

Maybe nVidia could release a standalone device that just does RTX voice, and make that compatible with console headsets.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
Microsoft mentioned that they came up with something called DirectStorage to deal with real-time decompression of game assets. I'm guessing this will make it's way over to PC, probably built into a storage controller that has really expensive RGB lights on it.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
Eh, the PS5 is supposed to have an SSD with a bandwidth of 5.5 gb/sec, that goes up to maybe 9 gb/sec with decompression. A PCIe 4.0 16x slot can do 16 gb/sec in both directions.

Let's go ahead and say that the 64% boost in throughput from decompression is a real number. In that case, it's a question of how fast an SSD would have to be before that 64% boost reached the limit of the PCIe 4.0 slot. If there was an SSD that did 9.75 gb/sec on it's own, the decompression boost would push it right up to that limit. But then, with an SSD that fast, you would already have a storage solution fast enough to match a PS5, so you wouldn't need any kind of decompression solution, assuming you could be satisfied with console performance from your rig.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

shrike82 posted:

lol if people need to upgrade their mobos in the future to support 16x for both their graphics card and storage

Alright, I'll sweeten the deal for you. The DirectStorage storage controller (which features both RGB lighting and an active cooling solution) also does real-time compression. You can squeeze more juice out of your SSD while telling yourself that it's a side benefit that you have zero load times in Skyrim 2.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

DrDork posted:

Zen2 only has 24 lanes, after all, and even Zen 3 will be bottle-necking storage to 4x.

It's only 24? Somehow I thought it had a few more.

DrDork posted:

DirectStorage is an API to provide low-level access to the NVMe controller. It's not a storage controller itself (though it may have specific hardware/firmware requirements that would need to be included in newer drives to be "DirectStorage compatible"--haven't seen much info on that yet), and doesn't do compression/decompression.

What MS has said about DirectStorage is really vauge. It has sometime to do with hardware decompression, and it drastically reduces the CPU power needed to handle storage I/O. The only way I see that making sense in a PC is with a storage controller that has a dedicated decompression processor.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
What if a GPU had a tower cooler, but instead of placing it all the way back over the PCIe slots, it was all the way up front. Take in cool air through the front panel and have it go straight through the GPU heatsink, leaving room under the GPU for some kind of normal card just in case you want one.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

I just can't deal with that 8-pin connector right in the middle of the card.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
Is there any chance that nVidia would release a 3000 series card with a 192-bit bus, GDDR6X ram, and double density chips? I don't want a card with 8 gigs of ram, I feel like something with 12 gigs would probably last longer.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
me: Do I seriously need to dick around with the file structure of my boot drive just to get a few more FPS in Cyberpunk?

also me: I paid for the whole BAR, I'm gonna use the whole BAR. I don't know what the BAR is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

mA posted:

Rumor: AMD's answer to DLSS might be launching next month.

The name is a huge disappointment. FSR? That sucks. They should take a lesson from themselves and call it FreeLSS.