Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Goddammit I just went to Micro Center yesterday for a 970 :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
what the heck does asic mean in this context? I might be dumb, but I don't see how 'application specific ic' fits into that context.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

Don Lapre posted:

They test the asic on the cards and then sell them for more money if its a higher number.

A higher number COULD mean better overclocks.

What are they measuring? efficiency?

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
:psyduck: that's a wierd as gently caress way of using it, then. Why not just refer to the jitter or something?

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
My only issue with Nvidia Inspector's multi display power saving thing is it holds the clock down no matter what. When I play games I get poo poo frame rates with it on.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

DrDork posted:

Hence step 2 in my solution: on the Multi Display Power Saver window, select Activate Full 3D by GPU Usage and set the threshold to something like 20-25%. That should fix it for you.

Because yeah, otherwise it's just a hack for force power state P8, which is as low as it can go.

I'd buy this for lesser cards, but there's no way in hell you're going to convince me that a 980 would have trouble pushing 2d desktops--even 5x1440p@144hz--with even just a 300MHz clock. Mine runs 3x1440p@96Hz at 135MHz with zero issues. It looks more like some bug/choice they made years ago, and then simply never bothered to address or re-think it, because :effort: and no one notices unless they bother to look at some sort of monitoring program, which I have to imagine is some pretty small percentage of their market base.

Ohhhh yeah there's my problem... I'm a dummy

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

Panty Saluter posted:

Newegg I am somewhat suspicious of your claims. Mostly because I've been running happily on 450W for a while now :v:

Haha, yeah my system draws 275W at the absolute max from the wall and it is an OC'ed 970 AND i7-4790k to 4.7G. 500W would be perfect to take advantage of the efficiency maxima at 50% load.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

Don Lapre posted:

Its because 90% of the people are going to buy

Same reason gpu manufacturers give similar specs

What the gently caress is a band width regulator and what does it have to do with power delivery.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
Can't argue with that. :ms:

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
The new Deus Ex game with have DX12 support.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
My 970, OC'd to almost 1500mhz, and a 4790k oc'd to 4.6ghz pull 280W max from the wall running at full tilt.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
To be fair, if absolute price/perf were the chief metric everyone went by, we'd all be getting a 750ti or 950.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I have the asus one and it works just fine (overclocked to 1450mhz even), though it is loud. My case isn't a soundproofing one, though.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
The article said there would be passive options though

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I'm assuming it's lower clocked and or undervolted

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
Idk what you guys are doing but I have almost everything maxed on a 970 oced to 1450 and it runs 45-60 just fine. I even have fancy hair turned on. I suspect if I turned shadows down a tad I could get 50-60

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
Yeah I just dusted my computer today, and a very light coating dusted off translated to 10 degrees C cooler temperatures for both GPU and CPU under load, and sub 30C idle! It's insane what a little dust can do.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Intel's production capacity is for Intel. That is not going to change any time in the near or foreseeable future. Their fabs are something they guard very jealously, when realistically the only other company out there that's as vertically integrated as they are from design to end product is Samsung.

Owning their own fabs and controlling their own production is something they will guard very jealously.

It's funny, I was interviewing for samsung a few weeks ago and one thing they really wanted to hype up was how superior they were to Intel, process and fab-wise.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
Yeah, one of the managers I was talking to was quite certain that Intel's was 16nm, which for all I know it could be and they just call it 14nm (which is really more of an academic difference I would think).

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Yeah and they aren't even saying that I would guess. They being Samsung the company. What a hiring manager says to someone is definitely not representative of what the company would actually say in public, it would be a stretch to even consider it marketing. Every company is the best at everything, just about to take over the competition any day now *wink!*, and a really great place to get in now before it blows up - when you're in an interview lol.

Haha, yeah it was in a big presentation they gave to all of us who were interviewing.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I'd done maybe ten or so mail in rebates over the years, most recently last year, and I got money from every single one of them *shrug*

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
The 970 is already available :cheeky:

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

They have a card for that, its called the 970 and itll be available for about $100 in a few months.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

Bardeh posted:

For $100? Show me where, and I'll buy one right now.

E: Check this out: https://www.reddit.com/r/hardwareswap/comments/4i8iro/usacah_evga_980_ti_sc_w_backplate_wpaypallocal/

People are buying 980ti's for more than the 1070 will cost? :wtf:

ahh, misread your post, whoops!

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I'm gonna replace my 970 with a scalped 1k+ FE 1080 to run my 1080p 60hz monitor because i'm rich and i can :hehe:

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

Zero VGS posted:

I had a ton of expiring Dell store credit, and they were nice enough to put up the PNY GTX 1080 FE for sale with "ships in 20-30 days", so looks like I have two of those on the way I'll need to flip.

Edit:

I kinda wish they had all the I/O on one slot like the RX480's have.

Does anyone know if there's an all-in-one water cooler that has two or three heatsinks in the loop instead of one? It'd be neat to jam two RX480 into a single Mini-ITX case with a bifuricating PCIe riser, and ziptie AIO water blocks to both of them.

Well, you'd have to figure out how to fit a micro or regular ATX into the mini-itx case first...

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

Zero VGS posted:

With a bifuricated Mini-ITX like the newest ASRock stuff, you can (theoretically) use a custom ribbon cable to split the single x16 PCIe port into two x8, like with this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/331051900725

So, if you convert two RX480 into single slot cards with waterblocks, you could actually crossfire them on a Mini-ITX motherboard. I don't think anyone has actually done it yet, mind you.

Huh. So it is, though I don't know enough about PCIE to know whether two cards can share the jtag, smbus and wake reactivation pins like that...

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
There won't be.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Some people are speculating that 1080 supply might be more constrained than 1070 because of the gddr5x

Yes, but custom boards take time to design, as does modifying whatever needs to be modified to fit their custom coolers to the reference board.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

There's probably a good reason why AMD made a seemingly last-minute switch to Samsung's fabs for Polaris.

*Global Foundries, which licensed the 14nmlpp from samsung. Who knows if that includes any process or equipment improvements, though...

Watermelon Daiquiri fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Jun 17, 2016

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

Craptacular! posted:

Newegg had an Asus 960 for $160. I'm limping along with an Asus 660 with factory OC and have for three years, going from playing Bioshock Infinite at ultra settings in 2013, to playing Overwatch in above-medium, GTA at medium, and Doom at downright ugly.

I figured if I liked this card (which I bought for $200 and sold my old card for $100), I figured I could buy this card and sell my old one at $80 for a similar experience.

Unfortunately, I reached a point where I realized that I want Doom to run on high settings in 1080 and have no idea what the gently caress I need for that anymore, since people report bad performance with a 970 even in some games.

I have an overclocked 970 and I run doom on the highest settings it lets me do at 1920x1200 with almost constant 60 fps. Sometimes it dips below it, but only for a second here and there.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Ashes *is* a bad benchmark Part of the game's claim to fame is that poo poo is procedurally generated every time you play it. Last I heard, this also extended to the benchmark as well. And if there's one thing that you absolutely don't want when benchmarking things, it's a random seed changing itself from run to run. Even if the seed is exactly identical every time the benchmark is run, we're still just supposed to take their word that the result should be the same, regardless of hardware? Please.

That said, it is in fact true that the Nvidia card there was not executing shaders properly, but it doesn't change the fact that Ashes is a lovely benchmark.

Thats what multiple trials are for! Assuming an even distribution of random seeds mapped to scene complexity, statistically speaking you are more likely to get more varied results than just seeds that get you complex scenes every time.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
Pssshh all you need is a script to automate the benchmarking.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I succumbed to impulse and bought a EVGA 1070 SC. I'm a bit bummed that it can only overclock up to 2050 at the absolute max, but its still drat good. Since I only have one, 1200p monitor, I also went ahead and bought a crossover 2795 and a monitor arm. I was very tempted to buy a x34, but I have spent waaay too much money in the past couple months and while my new credit card is interest free until september of next year, I don't NEED that fancy a monitor lol.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
Of course overclocking 10x0 is silicon lottery; it's a brand new process node. It's nowhere near the 95+% yields of 28 nm (probably more like 75-85%), and you can bet the good bins are all drat good, rather than good bins just barely squeaking in spec for 16. For newer nodes, all of the kinks haven't been worked out, nor have there been anywhere near as many awesome power or judder/swing reduction developments. You need another few years to get back to that point, especially with finfets.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

Fauxtool posted:

I just found out that you can lease enthusiast GPUs. It seems about as good an idea as renting rims. You are locked into a 12 month contract and you still pay the same monthly rate even when the value of the card inevitably suffers many price cuts. You can make a 13th payment at the end to buy the card.

They are basically selling you the card well above retail on a payment plan.

Welcome to Rent-a-Center

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
Wouldn't 110 be, you know, worse than 108? Itd be like 1120 poo poo tier. And i think that 14nm for the next gen is mixing rumors up......

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

Malcolm XML posted:

nvidia doing tick tock now???
The main difference in 14vs16nm is BEOL size, and I have to laugh at the speculation that the 14nm rumors means that Nvidia is switching completely. For all we know, it could just mean than Samsung will start to make other stuff, such as low end pascal or tegra stuff. They make a ton of other SoCs after all (Apple, Exynos, Snapdragon for example)

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

PBCrunch posted:

It seems a lot more likely that Nvidia would move low-power stuff like Tegra over to Samsung.

Take one look at how AMD's desktop video chips are coming out of Samsung's process tech over at Global Foundries (not well at all) compared to the job TSMC is doing fabbing chips for Nvidia. I don't think Nvidia wants to make their high-end GPUs on Samsung's process tech, which seems to be geared towards SoCs and other mobile chips.

Well to be perfectly fair, glofo might be loving up the process somehow or Polaris' design is flawed or something and can't get the speeds they want.
I don't understand the physics well enough, but I can't see how whatever ln14lpcdwhateverthefuck wouldn't work for "high power" stuff unless they aren't giving enough fins for the transistors to carry current well enough (which makes me wonder if there is a fin difference between tsmc/Intel and samsung) or tsmc has an awesome process tech that allows that much current and/or improves rise/fall times a ton.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

isn't that precisely the reason why amd contracted samsung directly for fabrication recently

Huh? Are you sure you aren't thinking of Nvidia's pascal shrink?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Nope. This is apparently a separate fab contract from the ones with TSMC (for Bristol Ridge) and Global Foundries.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/patrick...oo#4039fa2050fb

I was wondering if that was what you were referring to. All that is really saying is that they have the option, due to the licensing agreement between samsung and glofo ensuring easy compatibility. Now, I'm sure they've run a few test lots through giheung and/or austin to make sure it can translate, but I really don't think there's anything more concrete.