Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
Did the Asus GTX 670 DCUII never come out?
http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-GeForce-GTX-670-DC2T-2GD5-GTX670-DC2T-2GD5/dp/B0081IFO3G

I waited on this thing forever and now I see EVGA has a 399 card that's not out of stock yet.
I just wanted the nice cooler...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
How much quieter are the 2-fan/3-fan full PCI board configurations of the GTX 670 compared to the baseline ones?

Been waiting 2 weeks for one of the custom ones. They seem to be in really short supply.

I just don't want another jet engine solution like my GTX470 or Radeon4890 before that.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
EVGA gtx670FTW edition report:
Got the core clock to 1204mhz. 1205 crashed in Unigine after 2 hours.
Now testing memory but it doesn't seem to go much past 6250mhz. Not worth OCing since the stock OC is already 6200Mhz

Compared to my old GTX470 with 15% core OC, it's drat impressive. Also very quiet.

2560x1440 battlefield 3 maxed
GTX670: 45-50fps, 1.7GB Vram
GTX470: 10-20fps

2560x1440 Diablo 3 maxed
GTX670: 60fps, 1.5GB Vram
GTX470: 45-50fps

1920x1080 Super Mario Galaxy emulator
GTX670: 55-60fps
GTX470: 40-50fps

2560x1440 Skyrim maxed, HD texture mods, and crazy Russian man's ENB graphics wrapper with all the bells and whistles:
GTX670: 35fps. Consistently capping the 2GB Vram. Slow loading and occasional hiccups.
GTX470: Crash, computer frozen. Not kernel panic.

1920x1080 Skyrim maxed, HD texture mods, and crazy Russian man's ENB graphics wrapper with all the bells and whistles:
GTX670: 50-60fps. 1.7-2GB VRAM used. Still slow loading.
GTX470: 17fps

2560x1440 Crysis Warhead Maxed
GTX670: Will report later
GTX470: 25fps

I was slightly worried about the 2gb vram and my fears were somewhat confirmed. Hitting 2GB at 2560x1440+ is pretty easy I suspect for future games, but the only released game that consistently caps was Skyrim with some outrageous 2048x2048 textures.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

nmfree posted:

I'm guessing that's going to cost somewhere in the range of $Texas, which is too bad because I'd definitely think about getting one for F@H.

You probably should just donate to F@H at that point.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
Is there a timeline for the next generation of cards?
I'm on a 470gtx and it's going at about 15fps with everything off in witcher 3.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
thanks, i'll wait till then

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

teh_Broseph posted:

More like it's insane how close the 980ti and 1080 are; here go some benchmarks including the (very important) OC on the 980ti: https://youtu.be/Kgfe4QdhBbE

is this a troll video?

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

FakePoet posted:

I likewise got one of the aforementioned MSI Gaming X 1080s, and I am historically not really an early-adopter type, but I figure it'll last me a while. Downside is, I'm pretty lazy as far as recouping money by selling my old cards. I'll have a MSI 970 ME that's being replaced. Hell, I still have my old HIS 7950 that that replaced in a box somewhere.

Part of it is issues I've had with Paypal in the past making me fed up with trying to sort it out with them. Maybe Amazon will let me sell them.

amazon seller is pretty nice except you're more or less obligated to accept returns for random reasons. Also potentially higher rates.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
I gave up waiting and picked up a weird water cooled all-in-one 980ti on ebay for 400.

Are these hybrid cooler solutions any good and anything to watch out for them? I've only read they keep cool and are quieter which is nice.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
i didn't consider the different noise signature, that'll be interesting to see...

My sensitivity to GPU sound is because I've had 2 bum video cards, an ati 5950 and this current nvidia 470 (i think both stock or some random embarrassing gamer named version) that sound like jet engines when running even slightly intensive games, so I always liked looking at noise benchmarks and was going for the strix this time before giving up.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
don't those games run at 100+hz even on a 970? rx480 should be fine.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
where did he get the $200+ cost saving from
last I saw 2x 480 8gb is $500 vs $650 for a 1080 assuming you never find one for 600

also the min fps even at 4k is pretty bad for some of those games

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
Is there something that can force a game to run at 60fps?
I have the 144hz monitor but this game is timed to the framerate so it plays at like 2.5x speed.

I know I can set windows to 60fps but is there some hidden function in the nvidia control panel to limit framerate at the application level?

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

VorpalFish posted:

Again, not the temperature it's the noise. 10C lower means you can trade that headroom in for slower spinning fans.

The AIB 3080 cards can run much quieter than the FE 3080 at load.

I loving hate fan noise and I'd happily pay +100 or whatever for a card I can't hear. If you're willing to prioritize aesthetic over noise more power to you.

I'm not saying it's a bad design - the size means it's going to fit in some cases the partner boards can't. But there's a trade off for that.

Yep, the 3080 FE is loud at 100%. You could limit the fan speed curve to 85% instead of 100% and do an undervolt. It's only at top speed, the fan makes a ridiculous BURRR JET ENGINE sound. It'll be thermally limited and run at 1850Mhz avg instead of 1900Mhz ish

Or if you really care about fan noise, get a custom loop and 720mm worth of radiator for sweet sweet silence.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

kaschei posted:

First, what are your opinions about UNRELEASED GAME; and, do you think that AMD drivers give you cancer or is it their lack of DLSS?

amd drivers killed my uncle and also made my mouse look weird

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
The PSU can become the nosiest part of your machine. I had an EVGA 750W G3 and at max power, its fan noise overwhelmed everything else.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
also HDR for older games, microsoft is way into the ML for gaming stuff.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

BurritoJustice posted:

Has anyone seen a measurable performance difference when overclocked with the 2x8pin cards like the TUF versus 3x8pin like the Strix? I know you can easily hit the 375w theoretical draw really easily, but I don't know how much you get for the extra power limit.

I have the 3080 FE on a water block maxed out at 370w. If I could increase it to 450w like a Strix, it should stabilize at above 2000Mhz core.

This thing draws so much power that if you run anything that's also memory intensive, the memory power draw will limit the amount of power going to the chip, reducing the effective core frequency. On my card, it can do 2100Mhz with memory-low games like Crusader Kings 3 or hover around 1900-1950 in heavy benchmarks like Port Royale.

Is that extra 5% core speed worth it for an extra $150 and 80w? meh.

edit: Testing it more, I think it's not memory but core utilization. 370w is just not enough power for all the cores to run calculations at 2000Mhz at 975mV (insert your silicon lottery voltage here)

MeruFM fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Oct 29, 2020

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
bykski, I recommend waiting for the EK one if you're okay with paying extra because this thing looks like it was repurposed from a completely different design.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
nvm, canada

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

Shipon posted:

its because they tested it on a ryzen CPU whereas the other benchmarks are on a i9-10900k. amd's last hurdle to clear was getting absolutely top gaming performance

didn't amd test on zen 3 processors which supposedly beat the 10900k?

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
https://twitter.com/tuxedolabs/status/1262507221868519426
raytraced audio?

:getin:

Alchenar posted:

AMD have not priced their cards as if they are worried about being regularly compared to DLSS benchmarks.

I think it'd be pretty disingenuous for reviewers to turn on DLSS for benchmarks, at least until AMD's implementation becomes available. That being said, lots of whataboutisms like rage mode, zen3 memory access, RT, etc will make even 3rd party reviews have lots of caveats.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

VorpalFish posted:

While I agree that from a pure performance perspective AMD has for sure exceeded expectations (pending independent review verification) this generation, they've been making the socs for both sony and MS since 2013 and as far as I can tell, there hasn't been tangible benefit to their pc gpu offerings.

End of the day, DirectX is king, and there's only so many game engines. Graphic APIs and software level math have matured (not counting rt) that both ati amd and nvidia know what types of operations they should be building towards.

edit: ati lmfao

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

repiv posted:

https://videocardz.com/newz/alleged-amd-radeon-rx-6800-time-spy-and-tomb-raider-with-dxr-performance-leaks-out

Some more RT benchmarks leaked with better performance than expected - the 6800 non-XT is ahead of the 3070 in both tests

Why didn't AMD show RT performance in the presentation if they're getting numbers like that :confused:

Those numbers seem about right. 6800XT is even-ish with the 3080 without some tech for $50 less. It probably isn't worth it unless you pair it with Zen 3 for the unified goodies.

It's weird that it's doing worse at 4k. I thought the extra memory should make it better.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

I never understand why they call it “premium gaming machine” when its usually pegged at “absolute max possible without exotic cooling”
^^^ oh lol

premium probably also assumes they're running a custom loop.

the last few pages gave me nostalgic feelings of the good/bad old days of quake 2 rendering. It's good to see nerds are as passionate as ever about these kinds of things.

edit: and I want to pitch in. I had serious issues with some AMD shader issues back in the Radeon HD 4000 era. EVE particles would blow up and cover the entire screen in white.

MeruFM fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Nov 1, 2020

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

KingKapalone posted:

I ran userbenchmark on my XC3 Ultra 3080 and it says I'm in the 18th percentile. The info included there is CLim: 2100 MHz, MLim: 4750 MHz, Ram: 10GB, Driver: 457.09

I ran a Heaven benchmark before and after installing it with my 3600 and 1070 card. Went from a score of 1378 to 3050.

Am I missing something?

Are you overclocking the memory a ton? Amperes don't crash anymore on bad memory, they just retry on error and tank your performance

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
not even AIOs, it's designed for custom loops and 9 fans.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

spunkshui posted:

I was very close to buying it myself. Steve from gamers nexus like it and didn't really like my 500D case much but when I read reviews from people who actually put entire systems in both I kept noticing people saying the lian li case was loud and the 500D wasn't.

Turns out my case has noise blocking foam in the front no one ever mentioned in any of the popular "case review" channels.

Like I said, it's designed for custom loops. You put low RPM fans on top of a radiator. It's a nice looking case that lets you put in up to 3 big radiators. And Steve does do noise tests? I think the O11 did not do well.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

redreader posted:

I don't notice g-sync though.

did you notice screen tearing with vsync off in the past?

gsync is just uncapped vsync with better latency because frames don't need to be buffered

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
you can reduce the clutter of 3x8 pin connectors by using 24pin mobo combs :agesilaus:

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I dunno, I see the news about the ARM-based Macs and I see them looking more and more like Chromebooks. Since Apple has been pushing to have Mac OS be able to run iOS apps, why bother developing a Mac OS version at all?

I think because performance will be comparable to a ryzen 5600x, people will want to do something with that power

^^^ Docker arm is a thing. I think people being down on these new macs are gonna be surprised.

MeruFM fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Nov 12, 2020

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
yeah those benches are dumb, they could have forced resolution.

performance wise, it seems about as good as a gtx 1650 which is great for an iGPU but also not blowing me away

That being said, for the amount of power it consumes, and considering how easy it is for GPUs to scale, the theoretical capabilities are amazing and i'm just sad apple will never cater to Gamers™

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

Animal posted:

That’s an amazing score for an air cooled 3080. I have the same CPU/GPU combo so I decided to test. I set the CPU to 5GHz which beat his CPU score, but I can’t get anywhere near 19,000 GPU with the same settings he used. Maybe he has a golden chip.

That GPU clock speed is incredible for air, so yeah golden chip, or gigabyte secretly has the worlds best cooling block.

https://www.3dmark.com/spy/14887454

here's mine on water with 370W limit with a manually tuned voltage curve

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
lets build our own foundry, thinking probably in the 3++ nm range?

I'll start the wiki

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

D-Pad posted:

Yeah absolutely more space is better but the way the quest deals with smaller spaces or even no space with the way you can dynamically set the boundary size is great. I only have access to a room space sometimes and the rest of the time have about 2 ft in any direction and it still is a ton of fun. And all without having to move sensors around or deal with any wires.

It's the first iteration of VR that I feel like has actually delivered on the promise of VR and for only $300. Oculus has done an amazing thing here and I think a lot of people still have the impression of VR being this overly complicated gimmick. Quest 2 changed that.

The biggest issue with oculus is its close association with facebook that many people would not touch with a 10 foot pole. Doubly so nerds who are into VR.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
cannot think of another thing with a bigger gap between expectation and reality than VR

still waiting on my hp reverb g2 for cockpit games tho

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
plz don't destroy the planet for butts

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

hopefully this kicks other fabbers into overdrive...

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
that stuck cargo ship was actually full of cards and scalpers ran it ashore to try for a heist

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

Malaria posted:

I managed to get a 3060 from today's shuffle.

I am shocked.

Finally gonna have a decent computer.

What cool games have I missed in the last ~7 years on PC?

loop hero
valheim
crusader kings 3
battletech
divinity original sin 2
satisfactory
factorio
subnautica

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010