Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
My ATi Radeon HD 5870 is on it's way towards death. Home remedies can only keep this thing ticking for so long and I really think we're at the end of the line now. While it was a beautifully fast and strong card for me, I had nightmares to no end with the drivers. I'm a little scared of choosing ATi again because it's been my only experience with their brand and NVIDIA cards were generally problem free.

What Nvidia cards are out right now that are comparable to the 5870 in terms of performance? I'd rather "replace" the card instead of upgrade, as funds are a little low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
If i'm going to get a GTX 660 should I just fork over more for at 600Ti then? I'm coming from an HD5870.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Hey so is there a way to get out of NVIDIA driver software bloat? In addition to logging in to download drivers (???), i'm getting nagged about driver updates nearly weekly because this or that AAA game came out.Is it reasonable/possible to download drivers only from their website and avoid all this weird stuff?

I feel like some sorta idiot grandpa asking this, but its really odd going through this for the sake of drivers.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

craig588 posted:

Uninstall Geforce Experience. No log ins, no nags, less broken games, better performance, wins all around. You lose...update nags and in home game streaming.

After a substantial time has passed, can I download just the driver on the NVIDIA site, or does it come bundled with that software that ill have to uninstall again? Back when I was with ATI, they gave you an option to download the driver with no extra software or goodies.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

:crossarms: You didn't know you could uninstall a program?

If his train of thought was like mine, it was being unsure if uninstalling GF Experience would bork the drivers somehow.

I've dealt with incredibly crappy software before and I could see NVIDIA pulling that because, what are you gonna do?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

teagone posted:

I was convinced that Geforce Experience was integrated with the display driver after I got my 970, and up until now thought it was a required install. I had been with ATI/AMD for a good long while before I switched back to team green with the GTX 970, so in my defense, I didn't know any better. The last nvidia card I had before the 970 was a Leadtek GeForce Ti 4400, haha. There was no Geforce Experience then, so I figured it was the new driver software I had to install to get my card up and running.

Bingo. My experience exactly. My last card was an ATI (which I hated the drivers for). I figured NVIDIA wanted to match ATI with bloat, but at least the former would have stable drivers.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
After one valiant year of service, my MSI GTX 970 exploded 5 minutes ago. It sounded (and now smells) like someone set off fireworks in my room.

I see where a capacitor exploded on the GPU. Is the rest of my newly built computer safe?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Anyone with a Zotac 1060 AMP! have a slight problem with fan clicking noise around 20-30% speed? It's not like a major issue or anything, especially because of the fan shutting off automatically at low temps, but still.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Don Lapre posted:

Assuming all the plastics are gone you have a bad fan.

Is that something that generally gets worse over time or can I hold off on it? Its weird because it doesnt make that noise when under load or at 0 load. Just after I turn off a game and the speed starts lowering to 0. If it'll only be a noise problem, I can deal with it. I'm sorta tired of all the RMA silliness going on with my 970 having exploding capacitors three days ago. I just wanna play my computer for godsake

buglord fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Dec 4, 2016

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Shipping my Zotac back to Newegg in the morning...

Compared to MSI, it felt a bit cheap on the build quality, and of course the problem with the fans. I have a couple of days to think about what other GTX 1060 (6GB) I'd want. Any names come to mind when it comes to build quality and customer service? I've only ever used MSI, but my experience was soured with the exploding capacitor on my other card and some physical defects in my MSI Radeon HD5870 in 2010.

Some google searches say EVGA has the better customer service, and ASUS has the better/quieter fans? XFX is apparently the fastest, although I feel that factory OC'ing is more of a marketing thing and less of benefit in real world application. Id like a 1060 with no coil whine, defective fans or exploding bits.

Also, whats the thread consensus on the small form factor cards? I have a SFF case, so smaller is always better, but I can fit a 11 inch card, but its really tight. Internet consensus says that SFF style cards are good if you don't plan on OC'ing, but they're generally much louder?

Help me goons. I wanna get off this wild ride.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

That's the one I was talking about.

Is that the full sized one? EVGA has like 10 versions of this card. I thought SC referred to "small card" or something but it means superclocked and then there's like, one above that that is supersuperclocked and then the FTW edition :rolleye:

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Does AMD still have terrible drivers because christ I hated my HD5870 so much for that.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Is there a good abridged history of Nvidia Intel/AMD ATI? I got into PC gaming when Nvidia and Intel were on top, but apparently long ago it was better to go team red when you wanted to do gaming. What happened?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Wowie zowie. Thanks for the history lesson.

So its safe to say ATI/AMD getting competitive again would force Intel to innovate and cut the selling price of their CPUs a little more? The same thing with Nvidia would happen I assume?

vvv: and thanks too man! Reading two histories is twice as good.

buglord fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Dec 8, 2016

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Going through two RMAs in a row is the worst thing. Since Ive had my first gaming computer, i've had 3 cards die on me and 2 become so faulty they were barely functional. Either ive had the worst luck or GPUs are the most fragile of all computer components. As soon as this RMA thing is done, I think i'm gonna go the EVGA route since I hear so many praises sung.

But still, :negative:

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
EVGA GTX 1070 SC came in. So this is what high intensity coil whine sounds like :negative:

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

TheRationalRedditor posted:

There are worse models for it. It's always a good time to switch to headphones though

I'm looking up on how to "fix" coil whine, and it seems like running a benchmark tool for X number of hours or over/underclocking it helps? Some of these seem borderline wive's tales but the only other option seems to be RMA'ing it. But even then I guess it can randomly appear and go away?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Paul MaudDib posted:

Charging and discharging an inductor causes it to physically jerk a little bit. Same principle as moving the particle along a railgun, just weaker. It's enough to move air, and that's all it takes.

Like a bell, an inductor has its own natural frequency and will resonate best there. By moving a little bit off that natural frequency somehow, you keep it from resonating. That's what's happening when you're underclocking/overclocking, limiting the framerates, etc. Your framerate or clockrate will affect how often that coil is charged and discharged and you can get it far enough off its natural frequency that it's not resonating.

Running it for X hours sounds like BS to me though.

The best way to fix it permanently is to track down which coil is resonating so badly and throw some hot glue on that fucker. But underclocking/overclocking a little bit is a lot easier.

I shouldn't need to futz with voltage right? The 1070 SC is already factory overclocked and games run perfect with it, so I could start by underclocking it a little?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

sauer kraut posted:

If you have bad coil whine on a 400$ EVGA card just rma it, I know it's a hassle.

Problem is I've also done 2 video card RMAs (for other reasons) in a row in the past two weeks. I'm just sorta tired of it. It looks like EVGA offers advanced RMA (where they ship the replacement to you first) but on top of wanting a credit card hold, they also want minimum 30 dollars for the service :cripes:

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Over and underclocking didnt seem to do much. I even underclocked it to the point where it was equivalent with reference. Realized EVGA had a toll-free 24/7 number. Decided "what the hell" and gave it a shot. They did mention the possibility of a bad mobo/PSU but ultimately they still offered the advanced RMA service without the cost, just the MSRP collateral. From the time I dialed to the time I hung up was 11 minutes. No fuss, no teeth pulling. They werent outsourced either.

I'm not expecting total coil whine silence since most of my technology has it to some degree, but I am hoping for something less ear piercing. That all said, im glad calling EVGA was a breeze. Im conditioned to fear tech support phone calls but this is a cool change of pace.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Also is it still necessary to use the DDU driver uninstaller thing, or is that now considered excessive janitoring?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
This was a pretty heartwarming saga and I'm glad your card is all fixed you big dingus :kiddo:

Reminds me when I was about to RMA my motherboard because the onboard sound failed. But it turns out I had my speaker jack plugged into the mic port :downs:

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
EVGA RMA process went without a hitch. Got a new GTX1070 SC. Still coil whine. The next option would be somehow figuring out if its the MSI motherboard or the EVGA PSU, but i'm going to take option #2 and learn to deal with it.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Maybe I've always had cool whine, but my giganto old computer had like 5 fans going on all at different speeds and I never noticed. My mITX build was small enough to put on my desk, and it's near silent as far as fans go.

It's whatevs now. I'm mildly uncomfortable as long as there's a collateral hold on my credit card, so I'm gonna send my old card to EVGA and call this a finished RMA.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Holy moly

thanks for the laugh

e: My short lived Zotac GTX 1060 was incredibly loud at 100%. Not that it ever got that high because the cooling was acceptable and I never went past 75C...but at 100% it sounded like a vacuum cleaner and my desk vibrated.

buglord fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Dec 15, 2016

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
e: this is not the iOS games thread.

buglord fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Dec 16, 2016

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
For some reason I got really bored and tried overclocking for the very first time. I moved some sliders, typed numbers, watched floating islands and steampunk boats maybe like 20 times. I made my scores go higher which is cool I guess, but then the drivers started crashing and I got cute little black triangles on my screen. That was an interesting experience I think. I even got achievements for it because EVGA precision x software has steam achievements for some really odd reason. Did I miss out on the golden era of overclocking, or was it always this tedious and sorta uneventful? I was sorta hoping my 1070 SC would do digital backflips or whatever but all I got was a lotta fan noise and some coil whine.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Nah, it used to be a bit more interesting, but they have both made it easier & less risky and more restrictive. Nvidia has essentially made software, namely GPU-Boost, that in the current(3.0) version gets you like 90% of the OC that you would get OCing manually so the gains are pretty small, on AMD's side the cards tend not to OC very well, though that should hopefully change as they get away from GloFo. We also used to see stuff like modded firmware and other hacks but Nvidia is using signed firmware these days and it's questionable how much modded firmware would help considering how much Nvidia is already able to squeeze out of these chips with GPU-Boost 3.0.
Yeah thats probably what they meant in the Youtube videos when they mentioned Pascal cards already effectively have overclocking built in. On top of that, my card was already factory OC'd so I wasn't imagining some crazy numbers.

Col.Kiwi posted:

I don't get it, what is there to expect other than faster performance? I'm trying to think of an example of what sort of digital backflips you might have imagined happening but I'm coming up empty.

With older hardware OCing used to be a bit more complicated and also a fair bit more time consuming, arguably was even more boring years ago but also more fruitful.
Hyperbolizing here. This comes after years of reading PC Gamer and Maximum PC both online and in print back in the mid/late 2000s. There was always some sort of excitement in the articles about the benefits of overclocking, bountiful gains, fun experiences. Yeah I know overclocking only produces speed increases, I just thought the process wouldn't be so...meh.

Geemer posted:

I'm really happy with the auto-overclocking thing.

I absolutely never want to have to bother with overclocking to get all of the potential out of a product and then have this thought in the back of my mind that every time something crashes, it might be because of the OC.
I can not wait for the future where every part of my computer joins in and manual overclocking (or even having to manually set the bios to use XMP for memory) becomes a long-forgotten relic of the past.
And yeah even though I'm kinda bummed about the lack of tinkering, i've grown to like things that automate themselves for the most part. I used to be all about fussing around with settings and stuff, but I like it to just work.

So yeah all in all maybe its best that overclocking is already loosely automated, just in terms of everyday practicality. Sometimes I just get the urge to work on something just to spin my wheels.

Wacky Delly posted:

Supposedly AMD's upcoming Zen does something similar where it'll OC up until it starts hitting thermal limits, so we're getting there.
I think the part that got me the most excited was the bit where processors will detect the cooling solution employed. Like differentiate between stock, air, water, whatever. This is also probably marketing BS, but it would be cool to install a nice HSF or AIO water cooler and have the machine automatically go faster. That would be mega cool.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
I sent out a RMA to MSI which was recieved on the 2nd. Still no updates other than "arrived". It was odd because one day it was on "Replacement" but then rolled back to "arrived" the day after. Do they normally take this long? Newegg and EVGA were lightning fast with their replacements. But I have no idea whats taking MSI. They were the only company to make me pay for shipment too.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

penus penus penus posted:

A while yes, 16 days to get an answer after being received no not really thats getting into "wtf" phase. Unfortunately you're going to have to call, which will inevitably give you an answer you already know, but its necessary sometimes to kick someone in the rear end down the food chain

Yeah I called them after 7 days and they essentially said it could take up to a month and there's nothing they could do about it. Their website officially says 5-15 business days. Ill give them a call in the morning. I'm going to be out of town for a month at the end of the week and I have this feeling they're going to magically be done right when that happens.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Alright I'm curious what case you have because I imagine something the size of a toaster or that SFF case which is literally modeled after a train

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

incoherent posted:

You play fire when you go with the absolute lowest cost card. I will say that Evga has a top notch rma program as at least you have visibility on your RMA.
I remember my 970 and 5870 before it were a bit more expensive compared to the lowest offerings. But hah, come to think of it, my 5870 also had a defect where it couldn't run at stock speeds, requiring under-clocking instead. I didn't know MSI was so far down the line.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

penus penus penus posted:

The RVZ 02 is definitely worth the money... but not a penny more. It's almost there. I can't get over the feeling its simply a late model prototype that was rushed through to production. Maybe they have a "2.0" by now though since every single issue I have with it could be fixed in an hour and may not even rate a new model

What issues were you having specifically? Im further tempted to go even smaller and that seems like a case worth looking into. Hows thermals? I've read a few bad reviews about mega-hot CPUs and thats my biggest concern. Im not overclocking and the stock intel cooler for my i5 6500 is better than mine.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Thanks for the writeup man. I think the only thing keeping me from instantly buying it is that i'd need a new SFX PSU, which means getting rid of my ATX EVGA PSU. But ill continue this convo in the SFF thread!

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
What are Ti cards and why doesn't NVidia just call it 1090?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

considering all of the desktop chips are scraps that are too leaky to use in laptops, not really

What does this mean? Like...power efficiency?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Will AMD announce their specs, pricing, whatever at CES? Do they normally do that at CES? Is there a CES thread? I figured there'd be a CES-watch thread. Seems like theres a zillion things being presented at once. I have yet to find a website that sums things up by day, or at least lets you choose a category to see what was announced/shown off.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
On that note, are there any laptops which use desktop graphics cards? Don't gaming laptops have like 2 hours of gameplay life, forcing you to bring brick & cable anyway?

It's weird cutting the performance of a GPU on a gaming machine to save battery life. I don't know many people who travel with gaming laptops without their cable.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

SwissArmyDruid posted:

edit x7: Last ditch, INF hack on the generic driver. Also no dice.

This post was an emotional journey. I got secondhand anxiety from reading it. Sorry it didn't go well :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Yikes I didn't realize EVGA's ACX3.0 -> ICX program was $99. I was expecting them to go half that. It doesnt seem like my GPU needs it, since it has trouble getting into the 70C range.

On another note, are there any reliable rumors that AMD Vega is going to have SFF card lineups? It would be sorta cool downsize from my gigantic 1070 so I could get a much smaller ITX case. Zotac and Gigabyte's SFF 1070s seem sketch to me, the latter because of apparent coil while and the former because I've had meh experience with Zotac.