Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Canna Happy posted:

The cost of everything is going crazy. The CPI doesn’t show real inflation rates. The poor and middle class are so hosed.

If you want to see real inflation numbers, you can look at the M2 money supply to get a decent idea of what's going on with the amount of money and near money in the US economy. It was looking bad enough before the pandemic, but it has really spiked since then.
The CPI only really measured lagging effects on prices from inflation (and other factors), anyway, and it has built-in adjustments these days that makes it rather misleading.

Even if things like GPU mining crashes relatively soon and gets those prices back down a bit, the general price increases in the US are far from over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

I can maybe see them being 3x faster in one specific case of raytracing or some other similar weakness, but nowhere near that kind of increase across the board.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Sagebrush posted:

all the graphics cards brands have dumb as poo poo product line names. what the gently caress is an AORUS? or a VENTUS? or a STRIX? lol evga literally gonna call your cards FTW? what is this, 2003?

My favorite is probably MSI branding their GPUs as Suprim because they seemingly couldn't get a native English speaker to tell them how it's actually pronounced vs Supreme :D

mA posted:

Given that Gigabyte has arguably the worst customer service/RMA reputation out of all AIBs, I sense many tears from anyone who buys that system and has to utilize the warranty.

I'm glad that back when one of the three fans on my Windforce 7970 stopped working I could just contact the shop I bought it from and they had me send in the card for a full refund (even after ~2 years of use).

Bofast fucked around with this message at 16:53 on May 10, 2021

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

The Grumbles posted:

Presumably that's just to avoid any kind of trademark dispute or brand confusion with Supreme. Especially now that both brands cater exclusively to scalpers waiting in line for drops at short notice

It could be the initial reason. I did hear some reviewer talk about how they had spoken to some contact at MSI in Taiwan who insisted that it was pronounced 'supreme' when spelled like that in English, even though the reviewer was a native English speaker. Might have been Hardware Unboxed, not sure, but it was a fun little story.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

SpartanIvy posted:

I won a Newegg Shuffle but it's for a Gigabyte Aorus 6800 and it's $1,400, which is MSRP??? How can anyone justify that for a 6800? :psyduck:

Does it not also include some other overpriced/trash hardware to up the price? The Aorus 6800 XT was supposed to be $900 or so when Gigabyte announced launch prices, so $1400 for a non-XT seems bizarre even in this environment.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

SpartanIvy posted:

I realized after posting it does include a Mobo so it's actually only $1,250.

So still absurd.

Yeah, still terrible :(

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Alan Smithee posted:

Newegg: “gently caress you. That’s why”

Ah, yes, a last generation Intel E-ATX motherboard that won't even fit in most normal cases. Somehow, I'm not surprised Gigabyte and Newegg consider that perfect for a forced unsellable trash bundle.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

DerekSmartymans posted:

There are vids on YouTube that rebuild WoW zones in UREngine 4 just for the hell of it, and Skyrim has had modded redo and upgrade all the original graphics to photorealistic. I am tempted to buy the Skyrim SE on sale for 50% off on Steam because of ss and movies, but I can’t find if it includes the dlc. If it doesn’t, it’s not worth it because the mods fixed the game a decade ago.

I have Skyrim: SE on Steam and it seems to include all the standard expansions/DLCs baked in.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

DerekSmartymans posted:

Kick rear end! Would you also happen to know if older-but-maintained-mods work? I have a couple of non-graphical mods that I would love to add just to play on my new-ish 3070.

As far as I know mods for regular old Skyrim probably don't work out-of-the-box. Nexusmods, for example, has an entire separate game category for Skyrim:SE, so you would probably need to check if the mods in question have been ported to there
For convenience: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition

Edit: beaten, should have read to the end before replying

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Stickman posted:

Outside of the width requirement, the Core v1 is actually pretty great gpu-wise. The gpu draws air directly from outside the case and the case/cpu fans vent waste heat directly back out, so no weird heat pocket like the Node 202. Temperatures are comparable to nice mid-towers and I don't go ham with overclocking or anything. There are a bunch of other nice smaller cases with decent gpu airflow like the Lian Li Tu150, but I'm hesitant to switch because the Core V1 fits perfectly in a nook on my desk and I don't think there are any good cube cases that support 2.2-slot gpus.

So yeah, I guess it's a hassle now :v:

I have the similar but larger Core v21 micro ATX case. They are really nice. :hfive:

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Alright one more and I promise I won't keep doing this:

This one is hilarious for some reason :D

FuturePastNow posted:

when the drone outranks you
:vince:

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

CoolCab posted:

i think it was linus's wife who observed that gpus sell themselves on the angle you never see in actual operation with a standard case. like, most people buying that would point that :3 face straight down, i imagine it's seen as kinda pointless?

Yeah, you would need something like a Core V21 or some other case with horizontal motherboard orientation to actually see it.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

SourKraut posted:

Or just one of the dozens of cases now that use a PCIe riser cable to place the GPU off the motherboard.

Assuming they keep them far enough away from the side to not partially choke the GPU, sure.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Shear Modulus posted:

Yeah here's EVGA's list of their authorized retailers which they say you have to have bought from to do step up: https://www.evga.com/Products/WhereToBuy.aspx

I don't know why there are so many fewer stores on this list than that actually carry EVGA stuff.

I found some Swedish retailer on that list a while back that didn't even sell a single EVGA product at the time.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Shear Modulus posted:

makes sense i don't think EVGA makes particleboard furniture or meatballs anymore

:golfclap:
Nicely done.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Alan Smithee posted:

IKEA NValhöll rtx card. Assembly required

At least there would be no glue and the entire card can be assembled using nothing but an allen wrench :D

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

SplitSoul posted:

My friend's Asus ROG Strix 1070 has a fan crapping out, what are his options for solid aftermarket cooling now that a Voodoo 2 costs $1,000?

If it's just one of the fans, it might be possible to just replace the fan itself by taking it off and looking at the exact part number.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Not that I disagree with your conclusion, but to be fair the black flicker bug appears to only happen when overclocking.

GamersNexus said they got black screens, flickers and lost display output by simply trying to raise the power offset even to the slightest degree and the card then boosting too high on its own. The card they had gotten was so close to the edge that a more boost happy core might not even be entirely fine stock.

njsykora posted:

I am also at a hard settling point, a 2060 would be great but also I think I’d buy a 1660 Super on sight. The 30 series is dead to me.

Depending on where in the world you are some shops are getting 2060s in again, but they are still quite expensive.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Zil posted:

Heard of paper launches but this is ridiculous.

:golfclap:

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Zil posted:

I see that one Microsoft error message dev found new work.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Cygni posted:

Yeah but that’s not really been the case. Here is the 2080 Ti announcement

https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=193&v=m-hoDG0Lpa8

I mean they are really bad made up names anyway but Nvidia themselves have definitely not been consistent. Tee-Eye is slightly less dumb than Tye to me though, personally.

Now I'm nostalgic for a time when a really good GPU went for less than $500 :(

Vintersorg posted:

Imagine a server room full of em.

Would probably sound like a server room, more or less.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

VentureBeat had the balls to say in their review headline that the 3080ti was "significantly faster" than the 3080 while their own benchmarks only showed a marginal 10% improvement.

Perhaps they meant in the same way that VentureBeat's importance is "significant" :D

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Sininu posted:

Steve or his team didn't read documentation well enough before doing the video.

https://docs.unrealengine.com/5.0/en-US/RenderingFeatures/Lumen/TechOverview/
First quote was the second line in the article.

Seems like the choice between software RT vs hardware RT will largely depend on how your game works in terms of environments and scale.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Vintersorg posted:

Never trust an American on how to pronounce things.

That's probably fair, to be honest

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

FuturePastNow posted:

The biggest flaw I see with the 3070 Ti is that it uses nearly as much power as a 3080. I think this whole generation has been a regression in energy efficiency and the 3070 Ti is one of the worst by that metric. That power means heat the case has to exhaust.

The 1070 Ti was a 180W card.

The Nvidia cards kind of have to in order to get that level of performance, since they ended up stuck on Samsung's 8 nm process, which seems to be a 10 nm derivative and therefore can't give the same shrink benefits of TSMC's 7 nm process.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Bold to pick a screen name associated with so many other grifts tbh

On a GPU note my custom prebuilt is working great still

Get solid 60 in most games at 4k, or close enough that I don't really notice at least. 3080 doesn't go much above 73 either, except when my kitten decides to sit on top of the case when I'm playing in another room and even then only a couple degrees, which seems pretty reasonable!

Overall A+ experience, would buy again in dire situation

Any pre-built success story is a plus in my book :)

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

gradenko_2000 posted:

can we get Jeffrey to implement raytracing and DLSS support for Radium

Bonus points if those features roll out at the same time as the next Half-Life or sequel to Alpha Protocol

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

repiv posted:

Looks like AMD is following NV in deprecating some older hardware, the new driver they put out to coincide with FSRs launch only goes back to Vega/Polaris

Yesterday's driver release is available even for the 390 by the looks of it, but yeah, it will be the last driver for many older GPUs.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Ah, right you are

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Looks like it was a 3090 day for MC in Cincinnati. Gaming X Trios and TUF Gaming. Hell there seems to still be some GxT available but loving lol 2,269 for one is so loving insane.

Yeah both stores in Ohio constantly have these in stock but no one is biting, it seems. My favorite one is the OC/water cooled 6900 XT for $2,900.

Is the OC/water cooled 6900 XT the PowerColor Liquid Devil?
As I recall, HardwareUnboxed found it to be maybe ~5% faster than a standard 6900 XT.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I'd get it more for the fact it saves me from buying a block, backplate (if the card doesn't already have one), and applying it

That's fair, but probably not at $2900

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

change my name posted:

I would also be surprised if you weren't able to open it up and slap a new NVME drive in there, unless they intentionally obfuscate it to really lock in those pricing tiers.

It might be soldered to the mainboard for cost/power/space savings.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

gradenko_2000 posted:

Okay I've just had a really frustrating incident where the PS4 and PS5 can't play a simple mkv and the Chromecast can't do it either and I am this close to doing a really stupid impulse buy

If I was going to buy a mini PC for the sole purpose of playing movies on my 1080p TV, how low can I go in terms of iGPUs? Would an Intel Celeron do it? An A4 APU?

If it's just a single video that won't play, you could just throw it into Handbrake and re-encode it once to something the PS5 will support. Would save you quite a bit of money.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

gradenko_2000 posted:

It's not just the one video. It keeps happening and I just lost my patience tonight.

Reencoding sounds like a workable solution. Can you point me toward where I could learn to do that?

The simplest way would be
  • Get Handbrake at https://handbrake.fr/, install and run it,
  • Pick a source video file,
  • Choose a preset (there are 4 different Playstation presets, for example) or adjust on your own if you want something in particular,
  • Choose where to save the new output file near the bottom,
  • Click "Start Encode" near the top and let it do its thing.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

shrike82 posted:

I used to assume that increasing TDP just indicated that chipmakers were running out of options beyond brute-forcing performance improvements.
But Apple has shown that's not a given with their CPUs so maybe there's room for someone to innovate in the GPU space.

RT seems to be the big performance sink for graphics currently and I can't say I find it a compelling use given the amount of literal and metaphorical energy required for it.

I think Nvidia largely didn't have much choice this time around, since they (possibly with some datacenter product exceptions?) were stuck on a Samsung process not ideal for the making of high-end GPUs. Had they been allowed onto TSMC's 7nm process, things would likely have looked a bit better.

Zil posted:

Now I have to have a time card to game now?

It's for more consistent frametimes

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Shipon posted:

There was certainly a silver lining in that having basically a process to themselves meant they didn't have to deal with AMD's situation with the consoles and their CPUs competing for wafers, though.

Yeah, this is almost certainly true.
Of course, if Samsung had been able to get their own 7 nm process up and running on time it would have been better, but I suppose we're at the point where Intel isn't the only one struggling to forge ahead on the manufacturing side.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

How to think outside the box (or case, as it may be).

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

repiv posted:

The engine is just hosed in general, they never fixed the issue from Dishonored 2 where input is only polled at 60hz regardless of framerate, so at any framerate that isn't a multiple of 60 it's a jittery mess

My favorite weird thing in Dishonored 2 (at least around launch) is how I could have ~60 fps in the tutorial area but once I got within 1-2 meters of the doorway to the throne room the framerate would immediately tank to ~40 even if all I was looking at on my entire screen was the wall to the left of the doorway. :psyduck:

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Sagebrush posted:

i'm always up for a good old-fashioned real estate market craterin'

It would be great for anyone trying to buy their first owned home, for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Well, this might have quite the impact on GPU mining profitability and thus GPU prices.

BBC posted:

China's central bank has announced that all transactions of crypto-currencies are illegal, effectively banning digital tokens such as Bitcoin.
https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-58678907