Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

CoolCab posted:

yeah but it's not BTC that's getting mined, the price of eth will most likely decide it.

https://twitter.com/dreamcazt/status/1395042066242019331

crapto is not what is traditionally considered "diversified"

On topic, here is a very cool lecture/presentation about DLSS I watched recently:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5knHzv0IQE

when it comes down to it it's basically just extraordinarily good TAA.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 23:25 on May 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
apologies, i didn't mean to set off cryptochat - my point was exactly that, that looking at the price of bitcoin to be predictive here is kind of irrational. putting aside the wider economy which can be better discussed elsewhere, the magic number to watch to make our GPUs no longer money printing machines is right next to ETH, not BTC. if mining is a significant draw on demand (and we'll see if it is, and how much) that is why.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Just wanted to chime in and say that from my perspective, I think the thread has been on the right track. As long as it's discussing the technical aspects of GPU hardware related to crypto, or how crypto is affecting GPU availability, I think we're good. What I think sets us down the wrong path is talking about the details of mining, BFC chat around mining, and the morality of it. Thanks everyone. I know it's a fine line and I think we're doing good so far.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

On topic, here is a very cool lecture/presentation about DLSS I watched recently:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5knHzv0IQE

when it comes down to it it's basically just extraordinarily good TAA.

If it's basically TAA that means it should be pretty easy to implement if you've already gone as far as to do TAA, no?

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

CoolCab posted:

apologies, i didn't mean to set off cryptochat - my point was exactly that, that looking at the price of bitcoin to be predictive here is kind of irrational. putting aside the wider economy which can be better discussed elsewhere, the magic number to watch to make our GPUs no longer money printing machines is right next to ETH, not BTC. if mining is a significant draw on demand (and we'll see if it is, and how much) that is why.
The point applies the same if not more to ETH though, no one cared about it in September since it was so low, and you could not buy a video card for the months it was not mined. Now it is still 10x the value it was when the 3080 released even after the recent crash.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

AccountSupervisor posted:

Shout out to SourKraut for hooking me up with that 3060ti at an extremely fair price and sparing me anymore next-gen GPU misery.

Sorry I hadn't responded to your PM yet, but thank you, and happy to get it into the hands of someone who needs it!

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
1: I got an RTX 3070 from EVGA's queue. Is it likely to be a lower hash rate chip? Doesn't matter to me, but might matter on resale if I end up not liking it.

2: I've seen some pci-E scaling results that show x4 vs x16 doesn't make that big of a difference in graphics performance, but it seems going over a x4 thunderbolt link slows down performance more. Why?

3: pairing it with an XPS15 (the new 9510, so i7-11800H tiger lake H), if I run the native screen on the 3050ti (45W) at 1200p, and an eGPU setup with the 3070 to a 1440p or 4k screen, how are they going to compare at the same settings aside from resolution?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/Oculus_Dev/status/1395502670681493504

Fun breakdown

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

ilkhan posted:

1: I got an RTX 3070 from EVGA's queue. Is it likely to be a lower hash rate chip? Doesn't matter to me, but might matter on resale if I end up not liking it.

2: I've seen some pci-E scaling results that show x4 vs x16 doesn't make that big of a difference in graphics performance, but it seems going over a x4 thunderbolt link slows down performance more. Why?

3: pairing it with an XPS15 (the new 9510, so i7-11800H tiger lake H), if I run the native screen on the 3050ti (45W) at 1200p, and an eGPU setup with the 3070 to a 1440p or 4k screen, how are they going to compare at the same settings aside from resolution?

Unless it's currently branded as an LHR SKU, I'd expect it to be full hash rate.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

ilkhan posted:

if you are connecting to an eGPU over thunderbolt, that PCIe connection goes through the PCH. It's in contention with almost all of the rest of the IO in your system, typically that is where SATA is attached, network controllers, M.2 slots (on pre-Rocket Lake Intel and some laptops), etc - and it always adds some switching overhead/latency.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

ilkhan posted:

If it is then it supposedly won't effect anything but Ethereum mining - gaming and productivity app performance (blender, maya, etc) should be unaffected.

Unless you were planning on Ethereum mining with it then it should be just fine for your needs.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

ilkhan posted:

LHR chips haven't been released to retail yet - you're good. They will also be clearly marked because nVidia doesn't want to run afoul of truth-in-advertising laws.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Spacedad posted:

If it is then it supposedly won't effect anything but Ethereum mining - gaming and productivity app performance (blender, maya, etc) should be unaffected.

Unless you were planning on Ethereum mining with it then it should be just fine for your needs.

Buff Hardback posted:

Unless it's currently branded as an LHR SKU, I'd expect it to be full hash rate.

Shipon posted:

LHR chips haven't been released to retail yet - you're good. They will also be clearly marked because nVidia doesn't want to run afoul of truth-in-advertising laws.
Im not, so thats what I expected and thanks.

Paul MaudDib posted:

if you are connecting to an eGPU over thunderbolt, that PCIe connection goes through the PCH. It's in contention with almost all of the rest of the IO in your system, typically that is where SATA is attached, network controllers, M.2 slots (on pre-Rocket Lake Intel and some laptops), etc - and it always adds some switching overhead/latency.
Thats a good point.
Primary SSD will be on the CPU x4 port (tiger lake has 20 lanes, I wish dell would do x8 GPU / x4 thunderbolt / x4 SSD / x4 SSD, that would be awesome but I dont think Intel gives them that option) and secondary (linux / games) will be on the PCH m.2 slot. I'll keep my main games on the primary, maybe that will help?
I'll do plenty of testing before deciding if I want to keep the card.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Kunabomber posted:

They're legit - I've ordered an SF600 from them when everywhere else was sold out. I was on their waiting list for the SF750 when I managed to snag one from Corsair's website. No muss, no fuss cancellation on that one. Before this shitshow it seems like most of their revenue came from B2B sales because every single order seems to be filled by hand by a sales agent, and you can still order up to 50 video cards at a time. :lol:

their site still has pre orders avail for rtx cards so i wonder about that

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.
So apparently, Nvidia FE cards won't have the LHR nerf on them. The resale/scalped value of founders edition cards might go through the roof since they'll be the only ampere cards that will still be useful for mining.

https://www.pcgamer.com/nvidia-lhr-cards-no-founders-edition/

quote:

"Founders Edition is a limited production graphics card sold at MSRP," Nvidia told us this afternoon, "and at this point we don’t have plans to make versions with LHR."

Silver lining is that maybe miners lay off AIB stock, but on the other hand regular Joes can probably say goodbye to any hope of scoring an ampere FE card.

mA fucked around with this message at 04:05 on May 21, 2021

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

mA posted:

So apparently, Nvidia FE cards won't have the LHR nerf on them. The resale/scalped value of founders edition cards might go through the roof since they'll be the only ampere cards that will still be useful for mining.

https://www.pcgamer.com/nvidia-lhr-cards-no-founders-edition/

Silver lining is that maybe miners lay off AIB stock, but on the other hand regular Joes can probably say goodbye to any hope of scoring an ampere FE card.

I read this as "NVIDIA isn't going to make any more FE cards"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The FE cards always seemed like an unrealistic doorcrasher special thing anyway. None of the board manufacturers were selling their cards as cheaply as nVidia was, even before the tariffs and the gouging and the scalping. An EVGA whatever with a tiny factory overclock and some cheap LEDs was like +100 over the nVidia reference card.

The few people who got a $699 3080 FE from the nVidia store before it was botted to oblivion got a better deal on graphics hardware than we'll ever see again.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Whoever managed to snag one of the 2080tis that got dumped for cheap when the 3080/90 were announced are feeling pretty good too.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Enos Cabell posted:

Whoever managed to snag one of the 2080tis that got dumped for cheap when the 3080/90 were announced are feeling pretty good too.

Conversely, the people who panic-sold their 2080Tis in the second week of September for $500 were some of the unluckiest motherfuckers of all time

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Bofast posted:

I have Skyrim: SE on Steam and it seems to include all the standard expansions/DLCs baked in.

Kick rear end! Would you also happen to know if older-but-maintained-mods work? I have a couple of non-graphical mods that I would love to add just to play on my new-ish 3070.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

well i took a lengthy drive down to Central Computers today and now i have an EVGA standalone integrated graphics chip that i'll be mailing to them to get in line to buy a graphics card

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

I've had a bit more time with the 6800XT and I'm starting to think something is wrong with it, or the rest of my computer (I upgraded to a 3600 so I'm not running an i5 anymore). I fired up Hitman 2 and when it shows the menus it makes the most horrific coil whine noise I've ever heard. It's because the menus are running at 2000fps if v-sync isn't enabled, so I supposed I shouldn't complain too much, but it's not what I want to be hearing. Under regular load it's pretty quiet. What's worse is when I run the levels I'm getting 50-60 FPS. For example this guy here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7G9fK5753Xw seems to be getting ~80-100 FPS on worse hardware, and if I walk the exact same route with the exact same settings I'm getting < 60 fps. Review sites seem to show it easily clearing 60 FPS in the benchmarks. The settings can be a little hard to tell, but I should probably be a getting over 60.

Dirt Rally 2 also dips under 60 every now and then, which is pretty annoying in a racing game. I feel like something just isn't right here.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Nice Van My Man posted:

I've had a bit more time with the 6800XT and I'm starting to think something is wrong with it, or the rest of my computer (I upgraded to a 3600 so I'm not running an i5 anymore). I fired up Hitman 2 and when it shows the menus it makes the most horrific coil whine noise I've ever heard. It's because the menus are running at 2000fps if v-sync isn't enabled, so I supposed I shouldn't complain too much, but it's not what I want to be hearing. Under regular load it's pretty quiet. What's worse is when I run the levels I'm getting 50-60 FPS. For example this guy here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7G9fK5753Xw seems to be getting ~80-100 FPS on worse hardware, and if I walk the exact same route with the exact same settings I'm getting < 60 fps. Review sites seem to show it easily clearing 60 FPS in the benchmarks. The settings can be a little hard to tell, but I should probably be a getting over 60.

Dirt Rally 2 also dips under 60 every now and then, which is pretty annoying in a racing game. I feel like something just isn't right here.

After you replaced your CPU+Mobo did you do a fresh install of Windows?

You replaced a lot of old parts. How much wattage is your power supply rated for?

Did you uninstall nvidia drivers before installing AMD's?

Coil whine can be prevented by setting max fan speed to 99% or so instead of letting hit 100%.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
Just wanted to share this lucky chap who scored a 3080 from newegg shuffle to complete their build.

Some pics too: https://imgur.com/gallery/1hvDImx

And yes, they're using it for gaming, not mining.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

DerekSmartymans posted:

Kick rear end! Would you also happen to know if older-but-maintained-mods work? I have a couple of non-graphical mods that I would love to add just to play on my new-ish 3070.

You'll need mods that are specifically made for it, it's a different category/game on Nexus. But basically all mods worth getting have been ported.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

change my name posted:

I read this as "NVIDIA isn't going to make any more FE cards"

Me too. They may keep selling the 3090 FE since it's the flagship card but I bet the others are EOL soon. Their job was to get good reviews and make the brand look premium and that job is done.

Nvidia knows it's leaving money on the table selling them at msrp, especially since most of the cards Best Buy sells are probably just getting flipped by scalpers.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Geemer posted:

You'll need mods that are specifically made for it, it's a different category/game on Nexus. But basically all mods worth getting have been ported.

Thanks! Figured asking here is quicker and easier than asking on Steam :)

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Spacedad posted:

Here's footage of him threatening people who moved up on the empty seats that his hired proxies were taking up space in the line with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSeR8ir3rK0
Lol he talks like what a white 50 year old dude thinks "urbans" would talk like.

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

FilthyImp posted:

Lol he talks like what a white 50 year old dude thinks "urbans" would talk like.

The micro center subreddit is one of the more dystopian and depressing message boards. Just from lurking for a few minutes I learned that the Tustin Microcenter has it's own syndicate/cartel who has ruled the GPU line since December, while reddit internet warriors are fantasizing at the chance of starting a shootout with them

mA fucked around with this message at 06:54 on May 21, 2021

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

DerekSmartymans posted:

As far as I know mods for regular old Skyrim probably don't work out-of-the-box. Nexusmods, for example, has an entire separate game category for Skyrim:SE, so you would probably need to check if the mods in question have been ported to there
For convenience: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition

Edit: beaten, should have read to the end before replying

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Bofast posted:

As far as I know mods for regular old Skyrim probably don't work out-of-the-box. Nexusmods, for example, has an entire separate game category for Skyrim:SE, so you would probably need to check if the mods in question have been ported to there
For convenience: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition

Edit: beaten, should have read to the end before replying

No, this is fine. I missed my chance at half price, and tbh I’ve played all but the last two dlc, so I’ll wait for a sale again. I still have the 11-11-11 dvd in my attic. I will bookmark that site you mentioned, of course.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I've got a window AC pretty near my PC (after rearranging my room). Should I be worried about condensation?

Moly B. Denum
Oct 26, 2007

Rinkles posted:

I've got a window AC pretty near my PC (after rearranging my room). Should I be worried about condensation?

AC reduces humidity, so you should be fine.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
condensation occurs if the temperature drops below ambient - your A/C is going to be reducing your ambient temp, and presumably you're not blowing the A/C air directly into your computer such that the thing is cooling faster than the rest of the room is

you'll be fine

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

OhFunny posted:

After you replaced your CPU+Mobo did you do a fresh install of Windows?

You replaced a lot of old parts. How much wattage is your power supply rated for?

Did you uninstall nvidia drivers before installing AMD's?

Coil whine can be prevented by setting max fan speed to 99% or so instead of letting hit 100%.

Yeah, fresh everything. Looks like I'll have to do some benchmarking.

TwoDeer
Jan 13, 2005

Nice Van My Man posted:

Yeah, fresh everything. Looks like I'll have to do some benchmarking.

I doubt either of these options are going to sound ideal but I was suffering from significant coil whine on a 6800xt and a combination of setting a frame rate limiter (either system wide or per-game basis I think is an option) as well as a slight undervolt and downclock of my card has pretty much completely removed all coil whine. The card is only pushing video to a 2K display at 144hz with free sync in my case so I didn’t need a bajillion FPS so I just limited it to 144.

The nice side effect of the undervolt is that I was able to set the maximum point of my fan curve to like 45% because I am insane about noise of any kind.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Don't cap your FPS to 144, Freesync won't work properly. Cap it to 140 or so. Frames have to come slower than refresh time or VRR is disabled and you get standard Vsync latency or no vsync tearing.

TwoDeer
Jan 13, 2005

K8.0 posted:

Don't cap your FPS to 144, Freesync won't work properly. Cap it to 140 or so. Frames have to come slower than refresh time or VRR is disabled and you get standard Vsync latency or no vsync tearing.

Thank you for the heads up — I had forgotten having read that a while back. What’s odd is the display clearly shows the refresh rate moving as I play games via the OSD…

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Nice Van My Man posted:

Do you have VSYNC enabled and a target framerate set for both games? This was what caused Baldur's Gate 3 to hit like 40 fps for me when running it with a 3070, disabling the FPS cap (but not VSYNC) fixed it right up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
do nvidia typically continue to produce FE cards after launch? i thought with the fiasco with their website on the 30 launch and moving the FE sales off to best buy might indicate they've gone cool on them.