Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

how long do we expect the 970 to last as a good card? 2-3 years? planning to get 2 for SLI

or is a 980 better for long term?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Agreed posted:

You can expect what makes you happy, but it's still going to be kinda lovely compared to the next big thing (which is awesome, progress rocks, but still). A wiser purchase than a 980 would be two 970s - either way you're getting not-totally-ideal performance, but at least with SLI it's mainly to due with how compatible the game is as opposed to "sorry, one card won't play this poo poo very well :shrug:"

We know gently caress and all about long-term anything right now. We're kind of edging up on a bunch of serious poo poo in computing hardware development and production, positive and negative. Still, there's no damned way the ecosystem is changing THAT much in 2-3 years. But we'll just have to wait and see if nV did a really good job with their implementation of DX12 this hardware generation, since as of current it's a pleasant thing to think about that likely won't be realized until the useful life of the card is over. Same can't be said for many of the features they're offering, but that's a major one that I think is being used a little bit carelessly (well, to be more accurate, it's marketing fluff right now - maybe it'll be great later, but dev cycle being what it is, that'll likely be a job for GTX *whatever).

Generally speaking, if you're weighing single 980 vs. two 970s, you're only better off getting the 980 if you genuinely need ~10-15% more performance than 970s provide and refuse to use SLI. It makes more sense for a very small subset of folks who are running a dual-card SLI setup but not willing to try 3 or something like that, feeding a lot of pixels across multiple monitors where performance scaling starts to really eat poo poo.

That's major edge-case territory, reserved for people who are exceeding 1600p by a lot one way or another. Two 970s is actually, finally adequate for current-gen 4K gaming if that is your kick, but if you go any higher than that and don't want to deal with microstuttering and poor performance scaling with 3+ cards, you might actually benefit from going with two 980s over two 970s.

One 980 is just not a great purchase. Whole lot of money for that extra ~10-15% performance.

My last gpu purchase was an 8800GT from nvidia and it lasted me until around 2010 when my job forced me to use a laptop. I expect to be blown away by these new cards. Probably will go with the 970 because 980 is too rich for my blood, specially SLI.

I've missed pc games since about 2011 - Anything Skyrim and onwards I generally didn't play because my laptop was too lovely to run them.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Just to check - two 970s running default SLI will be much better than a single 980, right?

I can afford a little more than a single 98' but definitely not two right now.

Is it better to pop 2 970s in there, or buy a 980 and save for the second one later?

They'll be used for 1080p gaming at most but I want to future proof a bit and to run games at ridiculous Fps

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Factory Factory posted:

No joke, I can think of a number of times when I've thought games would be cool with interactive grass like that. But it is also a little bit silly for a multibillion dollar corporation to be doing intensive real-time simulation of astroturf.

I think it's loving amazing, in high school we rendered a single frame of a football field for a project on 3ds max and it took hours on a fast machine, and now it takes a millisecond to make a field of grass and also to simulate the physics to make it interactive. The math must be insane on this. I love it

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

I can't get my loving 2 video cards (nvidia 970 Asus strix) to connect via SLI, I've tried 5 different cables and none worked.

What the fuuuuuuck I'm going crazy, heeeeelp

Motherboard is a Maximus hero VII

I plugged in one 970 card in the red slot, then the 2nd card on the other red slot next to it(a very tight fit, btw, doesn't seem right), but that didn't work.
Detects both cards and they work fine, I can use either exclusively for PHYSX, but no SLI In sight. Turned the SLI cable around, tried both slots, etc.

I plugged the 2nd card on the other black PCI port(not red) just to try it and same thing.

The only difference I noticed was the first red port was PCI "Gen 3" and the other 2 ports show up as Gen 2.

I tried changing both to Gen 3 in the BIOS but it didn't work, then both to gen2 and it didn't work and also killed my frame rate and gave me lots of errors(Skyrim running at 1fps).

I'm at my wits end and about to take it to some computer repair store and see if they can figure it out but I'm going mad trying to figure it out.

I might just leave the 2nd card on the slower port as a PHYSX a exclusive card but it seems like a waste. Please... Hellllppp

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Yep this is the answer.

Thanks Imma really enjoy those extra floating dust specks that block your vision

For real they're super annoying and sometimes I couldn't even see what was going on with all the snow in Batman Origins, poo poo was ridiculous.

Nvidiaaaaaaa :argh:

Next time don't even talk to me about SLI, I'm just buying the more powerful vidcard

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

The Iron Rose posted:

Not sure if I'm missing something or not, but did you turn SLI on in the Nvidia control panel?

It doesn't show up, it only gives me options for PHYSX and surround something, from what I read the option should show up in the same screen right? 3D configuration I believe.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

BurritoJustice posted:

Use GPU-Z while loading both cards to make sure that they are both running at PCIE3 x8, not PCIE3 x16/PCIE2 x4 like some boards set. Sounds like a motherboard issue to me.

Thanks, will check and get back.

While I'm at it, is leaving the 2nd card PhysX exclusive just a better overall option, or is this just the mods trolling?
Serious question I don't hang out here and I'm not "hip" to the "injokes" of the jokesters in this Hardware sub forum

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

BurritoJustice posted:

Mod trolling. Anything over a GTX750 is hideous overkill for dedicated PhysX. And all that dedicated PhysX allows is to really turn up the PhysX effects in games that have them without a drop in performance, compared to the 80-100% performance increase that SLI allows in games that support it (most anything where SLI would be a benefit).

Thanks, mods gonna mod

Btw my card 1 says on Gpu-z
BUS INTERFACE : PCI-E 3.0x16 @x16 3.0(changes to 1.1)

Card 2 says:
BUS interface: PCI-E 2.0x16@x1 1.1

Any idea how to solve this on the BIOS?

Thanks, feels I'm closing in on a solution maybe

I'm going to reinstall my drivers in the meantime, something went fucky in the switching cards, lots of errors starting games.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I was worried about the same thing with my 970. GPU-Z was showing my card in 1.1 reduced-speed mode...when I was in GPU-Z. When I alt-tabbed into something demanding, then tabbed back into GPU-Z, it was running at PCIe 2.0 x16. That's also when I learned that even though I've got a PCIe 3.0-capable Z68 motherboard, you only get PCIe 3.0 speeds with an Ivy Bridge chip installed. Oh well.

And yeah, slicking the drivers completely with DDU is a good idea - I made the mistake of dropping my first 970 in after taking out my SLIed 560/448s, thinking the drivers would just recognize the new card over the old, and found Windows was still registering the existence of the 560s in addition to the 970, at least at the driver level.

Do you happen to have any clue if ok the Maximus Hero VII motherboard do the cards for SLI absolutely have to go into the red slots?

Nothing seems to work and I'm about to give up on this

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Possibly a dumb question, but you do have them bridged, right? And if so, you might have a bad bridge. They're not exactly the strongest pieces in the SLI puzzle.

You also have to manually enable SLI in the driver control panel.

Yep, tried 4 different SLI cables so far, and I'm constantly checking the control panel, just seems to not work. Maybe cards are bad?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

SlayVus posted:

Well, you shouldn't be plugging and unplugging the SLI cable while the computer is on first of all. General rule of thumb is to turn if the computer before you start unplugging things. Unless it has hot swap capabilities, which video cards do not.

I know I probably come across as completely inept (not far from the truth actually) but yes I turn everything off and unplug before trying a new set of cables or changing cards around...

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

veedubfreak posted:

Have you updated the bios on the board?

I have a Maximus VII Formula and am running SLI 980s with no issues.

Also, try switching the cards.

This board right? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132125&cm_re=maximus_hero-_-13-132-125-_-Product

If so you should have 1 slot free between the 2 cards.

Yeah that's the one... Initially I had them running on the red slots even though it was a very tight fit, now there's a slot free between them, still no dice.

Haven't updated the bios, will look into that.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Is a new Titan better than 2 970s in SLI?

Oh yeah btw guess who fixed his SLI woes, dis guyyyyyy

Turns out I had to clean the drivers via DDU, remove the cards and switch them and install them both at the same time(red slots only), put SLI bridge on, and enable SLI(Maximus hero VII MB), kill a couple of chickens

I don't know why it didn't work before as I switched them around a bunch of times, but it's working now and I'm gaming at 1.5x speeds :D

The problem was likely that I installed the 2nd card a few weeks ago, after the first card, so even though I cleaned the drivers I didn't switch the first card from the slot, only the new card.

Just clarifying because I loving hate when someone finds the answer to a question and they don't specify the details.

Now I'm sad because as it turns out, only 10% of games actually support SLI

Edit: Does dragon age inquisition support SLI? I turned everything up but it's giving me about 57fps at 1080p

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

KakerMix posted:

SLI is a total crap shoot and is why after doing 2 780tis for a year I went back to a single GPU. The minor quirks and headaches associated with SLI just weren't worth putting up with really only one (1) game I play supported it. You being sad about only 10% of the games you play supporting SLI is what I went through, now pile on 90% of those other games potentially running *worse* with SLI on and you start to get to where I was with SLI. Just not worth it for how I game. So to answer your question, no, 2 970s in SLI are not better than the new Titan. Single GPU vs. 2 GPUs and all the compromises that come with SLI.

I'm pretty happy with my Titan X by the way, it's true power shined tonight when I played one of my favorite games, Planetside 2. For those of you that don't know, Planetside 2 is notoriously hard on game hardware, getting a solid 60 FPS is difficult most days, but not today. A rock solid 60 FPS @ 3440x1440 all options turned up and shadows on ultra. Once more, I can get mostly 60 and dips into the 50s when I run it at 1.22 render quality in the .ini file (an in-game version of DSR or super sampling that doesn't gently caress with the UI, 1.22 = 1.5x the pixels). :pcgaming:

Neat

So to clarify as an SLI newb, games that aren't specifically programmed for SLI just wont use the 2nd card at all? Some *feel* like they're using it.

And I've read something about enabling or forcing SLI mode for games that don't support it natively. This is fine to do, I suppose?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Subjunctive posted:

Basically nothing using UE4 does SLI, because AFR doesn't work well with the UE4 rendering pipeline last I checked.

Does this mean the new UE4 engine games won't support SLI ever?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

App13 posted:

So I just installed this 1080ti and now I have a 970 just sitting around... Any use in dedicating it to physx if all I do is VR?

Same question but I don't do VR, just regular videogames - it's probably useful to keep my 970 around for physx?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

No, not at all.

Really? I thought it helped a lot with particles and stuff ?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Very well. I actually have 2 970's in SLI, so I'll give one away to a worthy kid nerd and I'll run some tests on the other, and then probably sell it.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

EdEddnEddy posted:

Jesus that is a drop. Makes all the little mountains look like nothing once that cliff happened.

Now considering how good their GPU's have been for Apple all this time, why the heck would they have dropped them like this just now? Literally to open them up to purchase or is it just Apple being proprietary dicks and probably stealing all they know from them anyway?

Apple doesn't give a fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck about other businesses when they have an objective. They hosed over the Sapphire plant too, depending on who you believe.

Business is business for apple. They're not the type of corporation who will work with their suppliers and give them a heads up or anything. Conversely they're still working with Samsung, of all corps, because they benefit.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Uhhh can I get some advice

So I installed this new 1080 Ti, and I wanted to use my old 970 for PhysX(red light), but the auxiliary power connector doesn't have enough plugs for the second card...

It's a Maximus Hero VII motherboard, anyone know? Maybe it doesn't support two graphics cards for this new generation or something? Or what should I do, when I had twin 970's the connectors were just enough.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Jago posted:

There's a bunch of obvious ways to do this, but the best advice I can give you is to NOT use a second video card for physix. Sell it for a buck fifty.

I'd like to try it at least, before selling it, to see the difference (if any) :(

I donated one of the two 970s I had, but I wanted to try the difference with a 1080 Ti + 970 for physX.

Can I do this with this Motherboard or not? Halp

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Thanks for the help guys

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Yeah, an adapter might be the best option short of replacing the PSU.

I got a Coolermaster 850W silent pro M2 power supply, that's probably enough right?
Could you point me to the type of adapter I need to buy? If I understand this right, I just plug the adapter into the pins and I'm good to go...

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Also, you clearly need more LEDs in that case. The inside of a computer should like a Shadowrun city block.

Excuse me I am an adult. Now help me get this poo poo running so I can play my Batman videogame

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Col.Kiwi posted:

Yup. Coolermaster says that power supply can offer SIX PCIe 6+2pin connectors. So as long as he can find the extra cables that came with the PSU he has more than enough http://www.coolermaster.com/powersupply/silent-pro-m2/silent-pro-m2-850w/

Amazing, I found the box and it's full of freakin cables, I can't believe I kept this it's like 3 years old

Thanks guys, problem solved? I'll try to figure this out on the weekend, for now I wanna play and run some benchmarks on Friday night like the cool guy that I am

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

The other problem with SLI is games that DO have it but it's not well supported. I.E. most games on release.

Games like Batman Arkham Knight and AssCreed Syndicate, Dragon Age Inquisition, even GTAV were really poo poo on release with SLI.

I remember I got more of a boost in FPS in more games by using the second card as a PhysX card instead of SLI (dual 970s when they were new).

Still, and as mentioned, when it works, it IS cool. It just doesn't work nearly as often as I'd like, and I don't think I'll ever try it again, I'll always go for the best single card I can afford.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Paul MaudDib posted:

Yeah, SLI/CF profiles are usually terrible for a month or two. Fallout 4 had huge problems as well, apart from Battlefield or something that's the case with virtually any game you care to name, even big AAA titles. Half the time the regular drivers aren't even very good let alone SLI/CF.

In general my advice is to forget about launch-day hooplah and just wait a month to let the launch-day bugs and SLI profiles shake themselves out. Plus you can wait for reviews and poo poo so you don't buy yet another half-polished turd. You can usually pick up a decent discount on a grey-market game key too.

That's great advice, and I follow it too (Playing Dragon Age 6 months after release was way smoother and nicer than when first tried it).

On the other hand, by that time the regular drivers are usually better too, so...

Anyway, if you've never tried SLI and you got the money to spare, go for it I guess YOLO

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Riiiiiiiiiiiidge Raaaaaaceeeeeeeeeeeeru

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Quick question:

Can you mix different brands to use SLI with the 1080 Ti?

I got an Asus 1080 Ti Founder's Edition... I found an excellent deal on an EVGA ( Model # 11G-P4-6390-KR ), almost half price. Should I go for it?

edit: deal is not online, local tiny store and they only have one, sorry, just wanted to check this before buying...

Comfy Fleece Sweater fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jun 7, 2017

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Paul MaudDib posted:

EVGA and Zotac both shipped models of 970 that were incompatible with other brands (sometimes incompatible within the same brand). There have been a few other times as well, I want to say back in the 700 generation and maybe one funky model of the 980 Ti too?

I remember reading that at times there's been both mechanical (someone put the SLI fingers in the wrong spot) and electrical incompatibles (someone didn't implement the spec right) but I can't source that.

If this is two FE cards, I would assume you're safe, they're a reference implementation. I don't think I've heard of any SLI issues with the 10-series period let alone with ref cards.

At half price, are you sure it's not a 1080 non-Ti? If it's legit, that's a hell of a deal (it would actually be a great deal even for a non-Ti)

How well does the FE cooler cope with all that TDP? What clocks/temps do you hit? I assume fan is probably cranked close to 100%, do you turn the power limit up?

Oh my cooling is pretty great, got a corsair air 540 with a bunch of fans and I rarely see it above 70c unless I'm running benchmarks, the default fan profile rarely goes above 60% fan speed. Most I've seen it is 83c and then it slows down.

I hope a second 1080ti doesn't get too hot running together, but I used to run 2x970s and they seemed generally less efficient.
I also got a 850w power supply so I hope things are good.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Paul MaudDib posted:

Yeah, that's not bad. Use GPU-Z and get some readings while you game and see what it looks like, in particular the boost clock.

The cooler you keep it, the higher it'll boost, so you may actually want to just crank the fan up. Especially since the other Pascal overclocking pro-tip is that it's power-limited and the #1 thing you can do is push the "power limit" slider all the way to the stops. Core clocking usually gets some gains, memory OC usually gets some gains, but core voltage often actually hurts due to increased heat/throttling. The best thing you can do for Pascal is just throw power at it and keep it cool. I assume the 1080 Ti probably follows.

Each card will put out ~230W average at stock, or 275W average at the 120% power limit. With 88W for CPU you're at 638W which is fine for your 850W PSU, if it's trustworthy. And you have plenty of headroom even for peak current there.

These days I would just get AIO coolers and a bracket for it, it's about $80 per card (Corsair H55 and NZXT G10, or the $150 EVGA kit if you want to be fancy), but it'll help performance a lot. That's probably one of the more effective ways to increase performance after you're at the "1080 Ti SLI" stage of the game. Maybe get a Noctua or Gentle Typhoon static-pressure-style fan as a replacement for the AIO one too (the defaults tend to be loud). I would think your case has plenty of mounts for the radiator.

Wow these are excellent tips ! I'll have to look at these fans, I haven't heard about those brands. I do use MSI afterburner for fiddling around with temps, but I haven't tried increasing power, great stuff, thanks! :)

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

I've not followed this Freesync vs Gsync debate at all, does it really make a big difference from a normal monitor? I use a semi crappy Samsung curved monitor.

Since I've got Nvidia cards I just need to get a Gsync monitor to take advantage of.. what exactly?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Alright, this is great information, thanks guys!

It seems like one of those "can't hurt" upgrades, so I'll look into a Gsync mon, but seeing as some are 1200+ dollars I don't think I'm going to rush into it if the visual upgrade is "eh it's a bit nicer". At that price I'm actually more interested in VR because 3D is THE FUTURE

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

repiv posted:

The Witcher 3 doesn't use the GPU PhysX stuff. Here's the list, it's seriously thin these days.

Maybe FLEX will revive GPU PhysX since it's overall simpler and works on AMD GPUs, but that remains to be seen.

Huh this list has got to be wrong, or maybe some games don't "officially" support it, but I definitely see an increase in frames using a PhysX card, specially in Assassins Creed Syndicate which is not in that list. I'm not sure if GTAV gets an increase too.

I specifically went into Nvidias control panel and assigned the 2nd card (a 970) to PhysX and it did seem to help a few frames. In fact, with the 970s, the increase from using 2nd card as PhysX seemed better in some games like Batman AK than using them as SLI....

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Thanks Bitcoin ?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

My 1080s ti keep giving me trouble in SLI :/ All sorts of crashes in games, strangely 3Dmark runs the tests fine.

I wonder if it's because they're not the same model or because I installed the new one before removing drivers or... ? Will try DDU and switching card slots or killing a couple chickens later

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

SourKraut posted:

Is there an easy guide somewhere on how to get going for something like this? I've got a 980 and would love to just let it mine while I do nothing so as to sell the buttcoins. My wife and I had a baby recently and hey, making easy money on the side from hardware I own sounds great.

Just google how to mine bitcoins and there's a bunch of articles, its stupid easy.

Basically make a bitcoin wallet, join a mining pool(because you're never finding a bitcoin on your own), point your mining software to your pool address and let that poo poo rip

With one 980 you'll be rolling in the dough making perhaps 1-2 USD a day!!!! (After electricity and component deterioration of course, and assuming mining difficulty doesn't increase too much)

BUT what if you could just buy a bunch of GPUS and quintuple that! Welcome to the bitcoin zone

Nah but seriously it's not hard, and you can get a few extra dollars but it's waayyy too late to be rich like in 2012. Maybe buying would be better, but gen you get into trading and that's another rabbit hole....

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Sux to be a gamer this year!

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

JnnyThndrs posted:

Jesus, people are paying $150 for HD7950's, I only paid $200 for mine new five years ago.

This is insane.

Gotta mine these bitcoinz!

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

rex rabidorum vires posted:

And despite all this stupidity the Furys seem to have dropped off a bit. That's what I get for waiting. Fun study in economics though.

Imagine in 3-6 months when the difficulty of mining increases and these flood the market...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Strix is such a dumb name. Like, what does it even mean, where does it come from, where does it go