Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

The Grumbles posted:

Lol the live chat in this is hilarious. It's a dry & corporate but vaguely interesting talk about various research and commercial implementations of AI-driven cloud computing - a lot of which is going to fundamentally change the world over the next decade in wild and scary ways - and the live chat is just gamers spamming 'SHOW US THE GAMES' or 'GIVE 3080ti' or whatever other terrible PC gamer memes. Crypto miners don't deserve graphics cards but I'm starting to suspect that gamers don't either.
Nvidia only seem to stream on Twitch when they have something directly gaming-related to announce. Makes sense with YouTube being more like an investor presentation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
nvm

kliras fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Apr 22, 2021

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
Watch out for this from Dell if you bought a whole system to get a GPU I guess:

https://twitter.com/GamersNexus/status/1385275530996600835

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

MarcusSA posted:

Things are fuckin wild right now. I have to imagine that we are going to see serious laptop shortages if both of those aren’t resolved before the new school year that’s for sure.
It's time to tap the emergency reserve of ThinkPads gathering dust.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Zero VGS posted:

OK I managed to get that UE5 Valley of the Ancients demo to run pretty well and finished it... nice showcase of stuff, but how come when I walk right up to terrain geometry it looks kind of lovely? I thought they were doing some kind of LOD on this?

Also, what is that called when there's a blurry haze right on the outline where the character model meets the rest of the world?
The big bottleneck is IO streaming, so something to do with your storage device probably can't keep up. That's probably why they want 64GB to keep it in memory instead of loading it from your drive. Or you just got unlucky and hit some kind of bug.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Greenplastic posted:

So I got my desktop, first I've had in over a decade, and I managed to activate this XMP poo poo to make the RAM go vroom, and I'm wondering if there's anything equivalent that I should do to my 3070 to make it run better?

Only thing I've figured out myself is to install the Studio drivers since I'll be using it for video stuff/resolve/premiere etc
Just make sure all fans are spinning (during load). Some GPUs have vBIOS updates you might want to install for that. Has to do with what wattage they are set to start spinning at.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
The drought might finally be over: Vulkan-based raytracing is actually ready to go?

https://twitter.com/bethesda/status/1399032909001068552

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
Was wondering about the DOOM Eternal performance with RTX, and DLSS apparently isn't on. Makes sense. Wonder how it performs on an AMD GPU.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
Even if I come back to an old 3080 that's finally available here in Europe, it seems like the prices have still been jacked up by like a third. Absolutely cursed reality.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
I for one appreciate Nvidia encouraging games to use raytracing and other things that require DLSS to be remotely playable, as someone who owns a Pascal card.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

SuperTeeJay posted:

I am struggling to resist the stupid temptation to buy a 3090 FE for £1,400 (not impossible as they stay in stock for longer than other models in the UK) and sell my 3080 FE on eBay, where the going rate for used cards is £1,600.

Does anyone know where the '10GB VRAM isn't enough for 4K' argument ended up? Even the 3080 feels like overkill for my 1440p monitor but I will almost definitely get one of the new 32"/4K/144hz monitors later this year.
Looking at the release calendar for 2021, there isn't really anything I can see using that much VRAM. Wait a week (for Wednesday) and see what the sysreqs for the upcoming Battlefield will be.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
At least your signal isn't straight up flickering like when GN tested their 3080ti.

Just as 3090 was the card to teach people about how about backplates work, the 3080ti will be what makes underclocking mainstream.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
This thread made me randomly check out a local store, and they apparently had an ASUS TUF 3060 available for preorder, which seemed to imply it was stock.

drat thing costs about the same as the 3080 equivalent did in October.

I'm just gonna play FFXIV and retro games for the next three years.

Man I hope someone in the European Union will take an extra look at how this price-jacking stuff has gone.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Ihmemies posted:

If you guys want gpu's, move to Finland. Lots of all kinds of GPU's in stock:

https://www.jimms.fi/fi/Product/List/000-1N0/komponentit--naytonohjaimet--geforce-rtx-pelaamiseen?ob=5
jesus christ these prices. almost looks like the placeholder prices stores use to keep bots away at this point

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

The Grumbles posted:

Anyway, I've been using the 3070 more and more to drive my 4k TV, and in every game so far it's worked admirably. I've had to turn down some of the graphics settings in MK11, but that's about it really. Anything from last gen will work really great on that card, and there aren't any next gen games anyhow!
And in theory we can pick up some of the slack when VRR works properly and effortlessly in 2026.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Paul MaudDib posted:

Streaming services being limited to 1080p is a real bummer, they would extend their market reach a lot with 1440p and 4K modes. I assume it’s just too much bandwidth to send though.

And of course it’s still insane they haven’t used the shortages as a marketing program for the streaming services. Waitlist now and get a discount when your number comes up and you buy a card type deals.
We probably need for AV1 encoding to go mainstream, but the bitrate situation is a huge mess in general, yeah. Twitch hasn't changed their cap for streamers in a long time.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
Yeah about that ...

https://twitter.com/CNBC/status/1404833092821569544

https://twitter.com/CNBC/status/1405894285615042562

Manufacturers and sellers haven't begun to factor in the potential delays/shortages yet.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
Four CPU threads is really pushing it.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

lol you are NEVER seeing "msrp" for the rest of this gen

649 for 3080 was an outright loving lie by nvidia to massage their own image - AIBs set their own prices and nvidia knew this
AIBs immediately pulling their non-OC cards was a nice move as well.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

CoolCab posted:

3090s have that uncooled ram on the back of the PCB too, right? I'd be suspect of those but I doubt a ton wound up on mining duty. maybe I'm wrong?
Probably don’t buy a used mining GPU without a backplate.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
Stuff like this was why I was not a day one adopter of GPUs, but it's crazy to find an issue so late into the product cycle. Guess EVGA really want the chance to use that Super branding now.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

The 3080 launched 10 months ago, that's a long time in tech to be paying more than MSRP :negative:
I do wonder how many people just aren't buying at these prices, which is what keeps inventory piling up.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
I think the main hatred of film grain is from livestreamers who find it to degrade video encoding quality For normal people who don't use ShadowPlay, it's not the end of the world.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
The year is 2025, and the biggest corporation in the world is Noctua.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
nvm

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

shrike82 posted:

lol if supersampling gets mired in a standards war

i can't imagine intel getting anywhere if they need to persuade gamedevs to hook into their supersampling solution given how low adoption rates for their cards will be for the foreseeable future
getting gamers to understand the difference in their graphics settings between dlss, taau, and xess is going to be something

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
https://twitter.com/videocardz/status/1431174235091779585

https://twitter.com/aschilling/status/1431169837741510656

So possible XSX support?

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
Goon PSA:

https://twitter.com/PowerGPU/status/1431294485972111361

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

KidDynamite posted:

lol I just got the step up step 2 email for a 3090 from late may. I still want to build my wife her own gaming pc so I’m considering doing it but are we at new card time? I have not been paying attention.
In theory it's Super time, but any Super refresh is immediately going to make retailers feel even worse about the overpriced non-Supers they ordered and can't sell, since their value goes down. 3090 might get a Super which seems fine, but I don't know if Super-fying 3080 etc is the way to go.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

v1ld posted:

This almost 9 year old Corsair 400r keeps temps low with some extra fans (including a jury-rigged fan in the drive bays below the CD caddy that intakes straight into the Noctua NH-D15), so I keep looking at all these cool cases but have no real reason to upgrade from a cooling or capacity pov. But that O11 Mini Air may just be too cool to pass up on.
The upcoming O11 Evo is hopefully going to be be a good fit. I'm tired of my old eATX, especially because it's such a pain to take outside and clean, and the cable management support is awful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGr6DXtxuxI

Had an October release last I checked, but I wouldn't assume it's set it stone. One thing I dislike about Lian Li is that a lot of cases are slow improvements over the other, but it's hard to tell which is the latest revision. One issue their cases seem to have is that the hot-swappable HDD bays trap a lot of heat. Not sure if they've addresed that yet.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

space marine todd posted:

I have an MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 3080 and it's been serving me really well since I got it last year. However, I noticed that the GPU specifically crashes after 10-20 minutes of playing Destiny 2 while I'm half-watching Hulu (the perfect game for such a thing). How can I start diagnosing this problem?

It crashes with at both stock voltage and undervolted :( Temps on load are looking just fine (~60C or so). The rest of the system is an i9-10900K @ 5GHz (already validated that the overclock is fine) with a Noctua NH-D15.
Furmark for general stress test, and then OCCT. I think OCCT has to run for a bit.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Passburger posted:

So my friend's EVGA 2080ti is acting up and he applied for RMA. EVGA then responded to him saying that they couldn't give him a 2080ti since they had none in stock.
Instead, they offered him a 3070. He's now wondering if he should accept that offer or not.
I've been looking at benchmarks and all sorts but can't really make up my mind.
What do you guys think?
It looks like the closest in relative performance, so they're not doing him dirty. Resale value will also improve. A more extensive look here. You "only" have 8GB VRAM instead of 11 fwiw, maybe someone will have something to say about what that might mean for performance.

And there doesn't appear to be much of an alternative for them I guess.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
It might just be a render, but overall, the design looks really solid and restrained. Definitely wouldn't mind something similar for a 3080 three-fan.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

repiv posted:

If those are 120mm Noctuas it might perform closer to the usual triple-fan designs that use smaller fans

Even the loving enormous MSI triple fan cards only use 100mm fans, most others use 92mm

2x120 actually has more surface area than 3x92

120*120*2 = 28800
92*92*3 = 25392
Directly compared, absolutely. I mostly mean "three-fan" in terms of tier like Strix > TUF > Dual, but we don't know how this is going to be tuned aside from the "OC" moniker. If it gets the TUF treatment, I'm perfectly fine with it on a 3080 (Super).

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
It kinda reads like a SocEng trick to make the employee get in trouble just so you can get a card, but without more information who's to say.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
BF 2042 seems to have a lot of weird stuff going on, possibly some kind of caching that takes a few games to settle. Maybe they're doing shader caching like Warzone without telling you about it during gameplay to keep people from complaining about a progress bar?

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

repiv posted:

frontloaded shader compilation is annoying but the alternative, random stalls during gameplay, is much worse
i just wanna know if there's a single person at ea who doesn't hate frostbite at this point

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

repiv posted:

the GTA3 trilogy remaster has DLSS lol

seems a little overkill for the visuals they're targeting
the gta 3 version for pc famously ran like rear end on launch because the draw distance setting would choke your gpu. dlss is always a nice way to avoid having to do too much optimization

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
It's also possible it's your PSU fan you're hearing and not the actual GPU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

repiv posted:

Sekiro eventually got a mod that unlocks the FPS beyond 60 without breaking anything, so there's hope for Elden Ring at least
Apparently there's also busted tonemapping and HDR to look forward to, if Sekiro is any indication.

Maybe I'll just get the inevitable Special K mod and peg it to 60 to deal with that type of stuff. Souls games have so much crap tied to framerate, even durability.