Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
If AMD can get their super resolution tech to work with nvidia GPUs as rumoured, they could be onto a killer tech there. Even if it's not quite as good as DLSS, getting it to work on something like a GTX 10 series cards is going to be something special. I have a lot of hope for them pulling it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

It probably will work on any GPU, the big question is how does the quality hold up. There's already plenty of vendor-agnostic temporal upscalers (TAAU) out there, UE4 supports TAAU out of the box, games like Control and Metro Exodus have generic TAAU as alternatives to DLSS, the problem is that generic TAAU has very obvious quality tradeoffs compared to DLSS. TAAU is basically TAA but pushed harder so all the usual TAA flaws are exacerbated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbpZCSf4_Yk&t=2129s

If what AMD delivers isn't appreciably better than what those engines are already shipping then FSR will be a big load of nothing

repiv fucked around with this message at 16:11 on May 8, 2021

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Is FSR supposed to come to the new AMD-based consoles too?

I know people have been making a big to-do about DLSS supposedly making its way into future Nintendo Switch hardware

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

I don't see why it wouldn't work on consoles as well. Again though lots of console devs are already using TAAU so it comes down to whether AMD actually advances the state of the art or just provides a reference implementation of the technique already being used.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
it's my feeling (though I could be entirely wrong) that it's not nearly as necessary for consoles because the devs can always tune/tweak the game to hit the performance metrics they want

for example, Resident Evil Village, with RT on, and no DLSS, Techpowerup was able to get 74 FPS using the RX 6700 XT at 1080p

I'm not sure where the PS5 GPU falls among the AMD GPUs, but the dev could just put up a toggle for ray-tracing with the understanding that "okay, this isn't going to go over 60 FPS if you turn it on", the same way that a lot of games already have a "Performance vs Quality" toggle

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

There are plenty of poorly tuned console games so this would help

Returnal runs pretty poorly for what it’s doing and RE:V isn’t exactly running that great either

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Those games are already playing the upscaling card though, e.g. Returnal renders 1080p and reconstructs up to 4K

This is why I'm on the fence about FSR, there's nothing novel about temporal upscaling on AMD hardware so FSR can only be differentiated by its image quality, which hasn't been demonstrated at all yet

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

mA posted:

Rumor: AMD's answer to DLSS might be launching next month.

The name is a huge disappointment. FSR? That sucks. They should take a lesson from themselves and call it FreeLSS.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

The oft rumored "Lower Hash Rate" versions of the 3000 series are real and launching:

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1390959561507545089

As was leaked, it is a new die revision with part numbers ending in 02, so GA102-202 for the 3080 LHR, GA104-302 for the 3070 LHR etc.

Still remains to be seen if these are going to replace all of the gamer parts Nvidia makes, if it is only a niche thing for certain AIBs like the KO parts, if the AIB partners are going to do like Galax and clearly mark the LHR versions of if it is going to be a stealth rollout, etc.

Cygni fucked around with this message at 20:19 on May 8, 2021

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

I want to believe this will make it easier to find a GPU but the scalpers will probably just expand into the gap left by reduced miner demand.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Also if the LHR versions are even slightly cheaper than the regular ones, and the block isn't physically burned into the chip die, the crypto assholes will immediately figure out a way to un-nerf them and they'll become just as scarce.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Sagebrush posted:

Also if the LHR versions are even slightly cheaper than the regular ones, and the block isn't physically burned into the chip die, the crypto assholes will immediately figure out a way to un-nerf them and they'll become just as scarce.

The LHR versions are using a new revision of the silicon, so the assumption is that the block is physical in some way. But it may also just be some sort of basic killswitch if it detects a modified driver or something of that sort. Probably won't know until someone gets one in their hands because I doubt Nvidia is going to want to share too much.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

jisforjosh posted:

Honestly if you're only going to be playing online shooters, your reaction time is going to be such that A. You're going to want as many frames and lack of input latency as possible (so no RTX and no DLSS) and B. You're not really going to be noticing those effects

You get like 40% additional fps in CoD tho with DLSS quality, and you can use it without Raytracing.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Maxwell Adams posted:

The name is a huge disappointment. FSR? That sucks. They should take a lesson from themselves and call it FreeLSS.

No, it should be Reactive Acceleration Game Enhancement.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

The Ferret King posted:

You misunderstand what's going on in the world right now.

a pandemic that's affected manufacturing

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

ijyt posted:

a pandemic that's affected manufacturing

It's more than that and I'm not about to go on a sermon about Marx or Capitalism - it's just... more than that. This is a bigger problem than unfucking an airport delay which everyone seems to treat it like. It's not.

Because we live in a global economy now there's no magic ship full of GPUs destined for your living room when there are closer, less tightly regulated, faster sales to make with fewer middle-men.

We're competing with every corporate client who has an agreement with resellers to get cards before you.

Because we live in a national economy more locally there's no magic truck full of GPUs rolling down to your best buy. You will constantly compete with every person in the United States & a number of shell people with shipping addresses in the United States to buy every card posted online. You're dealing with 10,000 bots, people with 30 newegg accounts.

Not sure if this was your post but whenever people compare the world to the mid 2000s when only basically the people on SA were online I have to laugh. My retired mom plays the Win an Xbox taco bell game now on her phone. Her retired disabled neighbor is entering the newegg shuffle to get her kid a GPU. There is no downward price pressure on GPUs and because of the scalping, there won't need to be any for a long time.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

cool post but i don't live in the US

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
In the case of GPUs the scalping is just a reflection of an imbalance between supply and demand. These aren't artificially constrained products like idiot shoes and Ferraris that are intended to resell far above sticker, they're ordinary products experiencing a massive demand spike that can't be satisfied by existing production. This is going to be a long-term issue with semiconductors until significantly more production capacity can be built, which will take years and years. We can hope that there's another crypto crash soon, but with the ongoing money printer go brrr policies people are more inclined to get into crypto than get out of it. I think our only hope for minor relief is that the various effects of post-covid normalization can help somewhat. That or things get so bad that people start wanting to move out of crypto into durable physical goods.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

ijyt posted:

cool post but i don't live in the US

"we live in a global market for these, they arent just toys for rich westerners" "this doesn't impact me because i dont live in the US" (I know I said some other stuff there but come the gently caress on)

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

As fun as this conversation is to read, let's move on.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Tangibly related but intel is having serious wifi chip shortages so AMD just introduced their own wifi 6e chip which on paper looks pretty good.

Also battery measurement controller chips,

quote:

We have spent a huge amount of money to get the Measuring Chip for the battery. We finally bought the Measuring Chip for the battery with the help of our friends. It spend us a whole month on it. It was very depressing that when we have paid for it, we got a quote from this company from another friend that was surprisingly 2 USD cheaper than what we bought.
The 3,000 pieces of Measuring Chips cost us US$45,000, whereas two months ago we only had to spend US$1,000.
But it doesn't matter, although it costs a lot of money, we are glad that we can provide you with better quality chips instead of using the old ones. Excellent!

Things are fuckin wild right now. I have to imagine that we are going to see serious laptop shortages if both of those aren’t resolved before the new school year that’s for sure.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

MarcusSA posted:

Things are fuckin wild right now. I have to imagine that we are going to see serious laptop shortages if both of those aren’t resolved before the new school year that’s for sure.
It's time to tap the emergency reserve of ThinkPads gathering dust.

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!

DerekSmartymans posted:

gently caress Drelzna, man. I know there are worse camps, but that was the only one I ever participated in. Hell I camped Fishbone Earrings on three chars and all three combined was about 10 minutes (the first two camps years apart the guy was 1) up when I got there, and 2) dropped on the kill!).

:patriot:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I wonder if Gigabyte's pre-built desktops include the exploding power supply, too

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I have an Aorus mobo and an Aorus GPU and I still cringe at their weird eagle logo. It's apparently supposed to be the lower jaw, but also looks like a weird flexing arm. And when I picture at as a lower jaw I just get this mental impression of the dumbest, dorkiest war cry ever.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Wait, I had a Gigabyte Eagle 3060 ti before this 3070... how can a company brand its lower and higher-end products with the exact same image and just change the name a little? That's insanely stupid

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Come on baby let's get some ECS and Biostar prebuilts going

Maybe a Yeston prebuilt, really lean into the cat GPU aesthetic

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

change my name posted:

Wait, I had a Gigabyte Eagle 3060 ti before this 3070... how can a company brand its lower and higher-end products with the exact same image and just change the name a little? That's insanely stupid

I'm pretty sure the eagle for the non-Aorus stuff was a little less aggressive/dumb looking, but some quick searching is not helping me verify that.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Aorus is their premium brand

Eagle is their basic brand

Aorus has the eagle logo, Eagle doesn't

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

That’s seems really loving stupid

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

all the graphics cards brands have dumb as poo poo product line names. what the gently caress is an AORUS? or a VENTUS? or a STRIX? lol evga literally gonna call your cards FTW? what is this, 2003?

also yeah lol @ the screamin' eagle. i like MSI's dragon logo because they have a mascot version that looks like a derpy pokemon

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
lol imagine paying extra for these marketing logos

Fortunate for Gigabyte they used to give a pretty good deal for the Windforce or "Gigabyte Gaming" parts. They had fans that stopped at idle at a time when others wanted to upsell you these needless sub-brands.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

msi dragon owns because it's the closest thing to cover boxes back in the day

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I have an Aorus mobo and an Aorus GPU and I still cringe at their weird eagle logo. It's apparently supposed to be the lower jaw, but also looks like a weird flexing arm. And when I picture at as a lower jaw I just get this mental impression of the dumbest, dorkiest war cry ever.

That can’t be right

It looks way, way too wrong as a lower jaw.

Also nothing can be stupider than “Republic of Gamers” and the dumbshit Bad Boy-esque “frowning eyes” logo they’ve got

It looks like something that would get rejected from a 2001-era Big Dogs t shirt

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

At least a strix is a real thing

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

change my name posted:

At least a strix is a real thing

quote:

The strix (plural striges or strixes), in the mythology of classical antiquity, was a bird of ill omen, the product of metamorphosis, that fed on human flesh and blood. It also referred to witches and related malevolent folkloric beings.

wonder what the flesh to dollar exchange rate is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.
Given that Gigabyte has arguably the worst customer service/RMA reputation out of all AIBs, I sense many tears from anyone who buys that system and has to utilize the warranty.