Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Stickman posted:

Totally fine, but it’s generally not recommended to run PSUs past their warranty, since their relatively cheap and can take the rest of the computer with them if they fail.

Does this really happen any more outside of getting a $5 one from Aliexpress? I thought the failure state for even cheap PSUs was just that they no longer function.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Statutory Ape posted:

tbh its only a matter of time before sony and MS realize that if people will spend $1450 on an iphone, theyll probably spend whatever the gently caress on an XTwone

Nah, nvidia sales figures are down and iPhone sales are down 15%. It turns out a thousand bucks is still a lot of money to most people.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

That benchmark doesn't make any sense. How is a GTX 1060 outperforming a 980 ti?

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

repiv posted:

RT adoption is going pretty well considering the "consoles won't support it until next-next-gen at the earliest" roadblock

Is there any indicator at all that AMD and the console manufacturers care about this? Even if they do, it seems too late in the game to change their current designs unless next-gen consoles are 3+ years out.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

MagusDraco posted:

The GTX 1660ti reviews dropped. It's pretty much a $280~ GTX 1070 in performance with 6 gigs of GDDR6 ram and no RTX features.

edit: Anandtech review
Gamers Nexus

edit: also it's pretty short. but still a 2 slot card. 2.75 slot my mistake

The lack of competition for nvidia is really terrible. It's $100 cheaper than the comparable card that came out almost 3 years ago, but it still has 2GB less RAM.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Cygni posted:

Personally I hope they keep the foot on the gas of the RTX stuff for the whole range so that it becomes standard.

Given the lackluster sales of RTX cards so far and their quarterly estimate miss of a half billion dollars, I kind of doubt that it goes anywhere any time soon.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

From the nvidia link

quote:

Current GeForce GTX GPUs, 600-Series and newer with NVENC, will also see speedups with these optimizations.

Seems like they mainly just let OBS use some stuff under the hood on NVENC to speed things up.

Does anyone know if the newest Nvidia GPUs have improved quality at high bitrates for things like Steam Streaming? Probably 80% of what I play is done through a Steam Link on a GTX 970 these days, and sometimes it's noticeably worse looking on the link than on the PC itself, even at 30mbps/beautiful settings.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Those don't seem to compare high bitrate scenarios though.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Stickman posted:

That said, why would you release a 1080p video comparing visual fidelity of 4k DLSS vs upscaling + sharpening? :psyduck:

That and compressed video means it's going to be harder to tell a difference between game settings anyway.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

wargames posted:

But AMD has their own verison of NVENC and you can easily access through the amd control panel.

It looks noticeably worse though, even at high bitrates.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Setzer Gabbiani posted:

A GPU using mostly RAM to hash isn't going to melt the planet, you're fine

7 million houses can be powered by the power consumption just for bitcoin, not to mention all of the other shitcoins. But you're helping hash for ransomware and money laundering, so it's for a good cause.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

EdEddnEddy posted:

On the flip side, In places like Venezuela, mining Crypto or gold farming in WoW is some of the only ways to make enough money to buy food.

Yeah I'm making the leap here in assuming that people posting in SH/SC aren't starving Venezuelans with 1080TIs

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Jenny Agutter posted:

Looking into my order history to see if I had an evga gtx970 I found the old email from Newegg about the 970 class action settlement from 3 years ago, did anyone actually see any money from that? I sure didn't

Yeah it took forever and they said I didn't provide a receipt even though I did. I sent the receipt again and got $30 some time last year I think. It's slower and more of a pain in the rear end than rebates, somehow.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Well, I had one of those “I guess I have to pay for that now” moments on eBay. I threw someone a lowball offer on a non-working 1080ti and they bit on it. Seller says they don’t remember what’s wrong with the card (I.e. no video, video but it craps out under load, video but its artifacted, etc) which I don’t believe, but whatever.

Is there any common problem or thing that dies on 1080ti’s? It’s a Zotac AMP, but not the Extreme edition.

Just trying to hedge my bets here. I’m for sure testing it in a PC that isn’t my gaming PC in case it shorts something out.

Why did you buy a dead card without having any idea how to fix it? idgi

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Indiana_Krom posted:

Loudest cooler I ever had? Toss up between the 80MM @ 6000 RPM delta fan (~78 CFM), or the 120MM @ 4000 RPM delta fan (~190 CFM) I had on a server in the basement like 20 years ago.

You just reminded me of when I tried to put a Vantec tornado that I got for free in my desktop. Even 7-volt modded it was unbearable.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

I'm pretty sure it's just bullshit marketing and they're not actually going to do any of that. They're trying to downplay the downsides to this with "we'll use math to fix it". It would probably be easier for them to send everyone who has Stadia a monitor with minimal input lag instead of a TV with 30ms+.

Google where's my CRT monitor

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

AfricanBootyShine posted:

I'm thinking of upgrading my GPU from an RX470 to either an RX590 or 1660 Super. It's going to be for couch gaming on a 1080p TV as well as streaming to my MacBook.

Stream quality will be better with an Nvidia card. Their implementation of hardware encoding looks nicer than AMD's.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

It looks like you can get a Radeon VII for $530 from Amazon now and that's competitive with the 2070 Super, but they probably have like 3 of those left in stock.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

I do appreciate the implicit agreement that everyone has that no one ever actually buys games to add to the cost and continues to play things from years ago on their $2400 computers.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

DrDork posted:

Thing is, Nvidia/AMD don't owe anyone anything in terms of updates at all.

Yeah sure and then games would crash constantly and perform like poo poo and fewer people would bother buying graphics cards until the market collapsed and they went out of business.

They're not giving driver updates out of the kindness of their hearts.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

K8.0 posted:

People not buying them doesn't mean they don't want to.

At the end of the day if no one is buying it, it doesn't matter what people would ideally get. Hardly anyone buys $1000 GPUs because that's an insane price to play video games that look a bit nicer than an xbonex at a glance.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Taima posted:

The 2080/ti is arguably the only enthusiast card series, and they have sufficient ram, yes.

I remember when posters in these threads were younger and the $200 dollar video cards were mainstream and anything above was enthusiast. Nerds ITT have too much money now.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

DrDork posted:

There literally was just a huge conversation about this a few pages ago. The $200-$300 range is still the mainstream. Some people only think the ultra-high-end is "acceptable," but that's always been the case. This thread tends to talk a lot about the x70/80(ti) parts because that's where the cool stuff is--the mainstream lineups have been boring as hell for years.

I know; I was making fun of the guy for not considering a $500 2070 Super enthusiast.

Inept fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jan 2, 2020

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

K8.0 posted:

$200-300 is still mainstream, no one denies that.

This is the guy I quoted :psyduck:

Taima posted:

The 2080/ti is arguably the only enthusiast card series, and they have sufficient ram, yes.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

nerdrum posted:

Coming from an 8600k at 4.9ghz to a 9900kf at 5.1ghz has been an unbelievable upgrade in terms of frame stuttering across every modern AAA title.

I think something was wrong with your computer if that CPU gave you frame stuttering in every modern AAA game.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Cygni posted:

Lots of people/places don’t have much money.

Lolcano - "Why don't they just get more money" :confused:

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Lungboy posted:

It's a brand new SF600 so that seems unlikely although not impossible. I can't recreate it in anything other than Doom though.

Shut down as in turn off, or reboot? If it reboots, look in your event viewer logs and see what error came up. It's possible it's RAM or CPU instability if it's rebooting.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

The xbone was 1.3 teraflops, so 12 teraflops is pretty cool. However, the xbone x was 6 teraflops, and no one really gave a poo poo or did much with it.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

B-Mac posted:

Top notch analysis.

Thanks. I was shitposting, but also surprised by how much better the X was as a mid cycle improvement than I thought. Teraflops are silly, relatively vague things to tout though.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

fuf posted:

Yeah but what if they announce that the 3000 series isn't releasing until well into 2021, and also the 2000 series prices go way up because of production disruption? :(

fuf posted:

I was thinking about upgrading to a 2070S but I looked at some benchmarks for games I care about and in some cases it was only like 15-20 extra FPS. It didn't seem worth it for like $400.

Listen to your old self instead of spending $400 because you're worried about a hypothetical where you spend $500 to also not get a boost in games you plaly.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

K8.0 posted:

This is interesting. To me it says it most likely WAS a gaming-focused announcement, and they feel it would be tone-deaf at the moment. Now would be a fantastic time to announce a new compute product and talk about how it can help develop ways to fight outbreaks in the future, etc. Even with supply chain issues forcing a launch delay, it'd still be a good look/positive PR at a moment when many people are at home consuming any kind of remotely coronavirus-related news as fast as they can.

It would still look tone deaf considering every idiot corporation on the planet has sent out an email about covid 19 and how they're gonna help you keep spending money.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

wolrah posted:

My first power supply failure in 2004 took all the directly connected hardware with it. The cards survived but the motherboard and all of the disk drives were dead. My second one in 2011 took the motherboard, one hard disk, and the GPU. The first was the OEM power supply in a Pentium II era NEC desktop, the second was a 550w Thermaltake. Nothing super nice but common grade hardware.

I work in the MSP world and I've replaced literally dozens of power supplies that just quietly stopped working, so I'm not saying that all or even most power supply failures will take other parts with them, but it is still a possibility to take seriously.

Yeah and it can happen even when the PSU is under warranty. Using the warranty as a guide to throw away a 6 year old PSU and generate more waste is pointless.

edit: Also not sure that lumping in the late 90s bundled PSU in your anecdote says much. Lots of PSUs were garbage then.

Inept fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Mar 24, 2020

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

april 1 - push bullshit to the limit to see what people will still click on and share

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

K8.0 posted:

GPUs tend to power cycle up and down a lot more than CPUs

The others make sense, but is that one really true?

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

kazmeyer posted:

So I've been puttering along with a GTX 970 and a 1080p monitor for a while. Don't mind turning things down to get decent performance, but I'm finally starting to hit a wall. Installed Assassin's Creed Origin and went to the Geforce Experience thing and it basically turned everything off that it could. Game's playable, but a lot of the textures look pretty bad. In one of the cutscenes my dude kind of looked like he was made out of Gumby clay.

Everything else in my PC is fairly recent, so this is definitely the bottleneck; what am I looking at in terms of upgrade? Would the $200-300 range cards be worth shelling out for, or am I looking at the $500 tier at a minimum to get a noticeable boost?

AC: Origins especially is rough on systems. It cares more about CPU cores than anything else, so hopefully you at least have a 6 core processor. Try turning the texture settings up a bit to medium or high to make it look nicer. The game doesn't actually use that much VRAM.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Who is this guy with a 7 month old Twitter account and a WordPress blog?

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Devils Affricate posted:

Nope, 14 thousand, with 3 zeros. I'm a nerd who doesn't spend money on things like "vacations" and "children". Also the whole COVID thing is causing me to spend even less.

Please just get the 3080 ti and not the titan and give the difference to a charity that plants trees or something instead of some silicon you will never ever use.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

I don't care too much about the connector, but did any standards group actually approve this, or was it just nvidia telling some PSU makers "here's our new connector thanks"

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

3DP and 1 HDMI has been standard for a while. You might be able to buy cheaper passive adapters though, as long as the GPUs will support dual-mode on the DisplayPort connections. Although if you have 3 monitors, one of them will probably need to be on another GPU or on an active adapter.

Inept fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Aug 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

DrDork posted:

I don't think so. There was a firmware update for Pascal cards for DP 1.3/1.4 to fix a few issues, but I don't think it actually upgraded the version. Similarly, I would be real surprised if Ampere launched with DP 1.4a and then later "unlocked" DP 2.0, especially considering 1.4a and 2.0 use a different encoding scheme, rather than just some feature flags.

There was an update for a bunch of nvidia GPUs that were originally 1.2 that made them support 1.3/1.4. Went all the way back to the 7xx series.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/nv-uefi-update-x64/

Like you said though, DP 2.0 is a lot more of an update than 1.4 was.