Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

ZombieCrew posted:

Was at the microcenter in dallas today. There was a small pile of 4080s, 3060s, and 3050s.

That's just kinda nuts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5m6bFnzN1SY&t=1863s Time Stamped video over from GN about supposed leaked specs of the 4070 Ti. Was kinda hoping that it would be the equivalent to a 3090/3080 looks freaking weird if the leaked specs are to be believed.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/antony...sh=40070b23a9c2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Has anyone here that bought a 4090/4080 had issues with space in their cases? I've been giving a hard look at a Fractal torrent to use as a case but if the 4070 ti ends up being decent and affordable but also the same size card as a 4080, I'm wondering what I'd have to do in order to have that poo poo fit and make sure it's properly supported so it doesn't make the board warp.

Jiro fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Dec 27, 2022

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

8-bit Miniboss posted:

In a Meshify C, a FE 4080/90 will fit comfortably with fans. AIB cards, not so much. They’re just huge.

Thanks for the photo reference, that definitely makes me feel a bit better about going ahead with it. Especially with your Noctua fan setup since that also takes up a sizeable chunk of real estate. You didn't feel the need to use any sort of support bracket to help distribute the weight?

repiv posted:

the full size torrent will have no problems, that has clearance for 423mm cards with the front fans installed and even the hugest 4090s are only about 360mm

the torrent compact may have issues though

Nice. I don't think I'd go for the compact just because I'd want there to be enough room for everything. And for my hands to be able to get into spaces.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

GruntyThrst posted:

Because I'm too anxious about getting a bum card

Yeah same here. I'm way way too gun shy about dropping half 1k for a no guarantee how hard the card was actually used.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Yeah by this point I'm either waiting for what sort of pricing madness the 4070 ti is going to be, or waiting longer for another Asus x Noctua card.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Hemish posted:

What are you guys using to enjoy your good GPU on other devices?

Back in the day we would use the old GPU and stick into the media living room pc when I lived with roommates, gave it a separate sound card so it could do fun poo poo with the receiver, and play the highest quality movies we could get. Eventually shoving enough HDDs in it we would essentially stop watching regular tv once we hooked a blu ray drive and an hd-dvd drive into it.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

I don’t have a 4K monitor yet because of the absurd pricing, so I am happy to continue using my 3080 at 1440p for the next couple of years

I feel like I’m going to need a bigger case for the 50 series cards the way things are going

Like the old days of punch cards, GPUs will eventually require their own separate room/building with a thick cable going to the normal computer case, the actual chip will be getting smaller and smaller and everything else to cool it will keep getting exponentially larger and more absurd.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

repiv posted:

obligatory 3dmark leak

What do these numbers mean?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

ughhhh posted:

Used 3090s are still hovering around +850$ and i dont think its gonna get lower anytime soon, so if i were to set my expectations around that the 4070ti still feels better. Not good in anyway, but a brand new 4070ti looks like the best option?

Still waiting on what Asus and Noctua cook up for their next card, but yeah agreed on all counts. It loving sucks.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

GruntyThrst posted:

Most 3080s are in the $600ish range now, or get there within a day of bidding. For a card that’s supposed to be MRSP $700 and two years old , feels kinda bad

Most important of all, USED, not new. All the new ones have apparently been gobbled up or just being scalped to high heaven.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Hughmoris posted:

GPU Megat[H]read - Defending Your Purchase.

- an Albert Brooks film

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Edit: Oh hey, Steven's vid for the 4070Ti announcement is up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9akXjZkITE

loving :lol:, also :wtc: This company deserves to be driven into the ground.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

2023 off to a fantastic start for content. I just want a new 3080 with 12 gigs. :smith:

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Oh thank god it's only 2 fans.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Inept posted:

I wonder how Nvidia's delayed TSMC allocation is going to affect their pricing as the year goes on. If they're already seeing 4080s on shelves with a delayed allocation, what happens when they need to put the rest to use?

Why just make more SuperPods of course! :v:

Man, I KNOW the Asus x Noctua 4080 is super bad value but I really really want it. :negative: I'm just wondering how loving thick that sucker is going to be.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

:tutbutt:

The drat thing better run close to freezing temps on max load if it's that ridiculously thicc.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

:laffo: Where's the loving motherboard?????

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

So with the 4070Ti on the Asus, Gigabyte, and other board partner versions that factory OC the GPU. Is that why some are priced so ridiculously expensive from whatever NVIDIA calls the MSRP?

Didn't other cards a gen or two back stuff more or less VRAM into tbose cards at the same time with the OC option? Or is my brain finally melting into jelly?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

kliras posted:

tpu got a look at the noctua 4080, and it only has two pci brackets, which covers less than half of the width

So that thing is going to have to have some kind of support stump or something cause.....yeah.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Pretty much. I've always come at it from the angle of I have other stuff I need to do, but I also want to use it to play games at least well enough to get 60fps. Using a laptop cooler with built in fans has helped quite a bit in mitigating the heat that can come off of it.

I didn't have enough cash to build a proper rig, but I did have enough, if I timed it right, to get a quality laptop that so far has lasted me 7 plus years. Currently has a 1060 in it.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Evil Fluffy posted:

Stranger of Paradise is unironically the best non-MMO FF game in like, a decade if not more. :colbert:

Stranger of Paradise is so bugfuck nuts in it's cutscenes you would almost think it was a game done by the guy that did Killer 7.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gc0YlQS3Rx4

Also has anyone seen this? This is some really cool diy crazy poo poo some people were trying to do with 4090 cards.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

https://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-rtx-30-gpus-huge-price-cuts-bestbuy-3090-ti-880-us-3080-ti-720-us-3080-420-us-3070-300-us/

I checked and the prices are real, but nothing's in stock. That would be a hell of a deal for the 3080 and 3070 if there was actual inventory available. Also none of the AIB cards are on sale.

My Best Buy has those prices as well, just nothing in stock. Kinda seems like a really cruel joke.

Edit: Now Access Denied page is coming up. Wonder if the site is getting slammed.

Jiro fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Feb 15, 2023

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Twerk from Home posted:

The increased cost is mostly because of the license, the software license on Nvidia drivers specifically prohibit gaming Geforce cards from being used in a datacenter at any time.

Well, actually IIRC they made a specific carve-out to allow cryptocurrency mining, but only cryptocurrency mining.

Edit: Realistically, you're also paying a price premium to get the blower cooler. Nvidia will not allow gaming GPUs to have a blower-style cooler anymore, but if you know a criminal who has some access to RTX 4090 GPUs, they are being made:

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/geforce-rtx-4090-blower-gpu-blows-hot-and-loud

No warranty, support, and also you gotta pay the vendor in cash or crypto.

Forgive my ignorance, but what would be the point as far as functionality compared to the current air cooling solution? Being able to propel your Fractal Torrent FORWARD?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

repiv posted:

it allows you to do this

hearing protection sold separately

:psypop: Whhhyyyyyy??? Those Noctua fans sure are going to dampen the jet engine sound that will be your PC I guess? :lol: Also is the PC case hiding the diesel generator that you'll need to run all of those cards and your CPU?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I mean, I'm pretty sure everyone here knows the answer considering the past.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Inept posted:

Blizzard regularly has launches that they need to prepare for and have flexible capacity for. It's not excusable that they still have issues at launch. It isn't 2006 anymore. AWS and GCP and flexible capacity are standard for large games like Apex and Valorant, but Blizzard probably has over a decade of technical debt that no one bothered to fix.

This is why the buyout and merger needs to happen you guys! :suicide:

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

repiv posted:

pretty sure the MGS2/3 ports are derived from the existing native PS3/360 ports, not emulated, hence MGS3 being 60fps on most systems when that was 30fps on PS2

MGS1 is probably running in a PS1 emulator though, that never got ported to later consoles so i suspect they lost the source code

I would kill for an HD Remaster of Twin Snakes. Physical copies of it are going for drat near $100 USD.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

repiv posted:

speaking of unreal engine, they released the first footage of MGS3 remake running on UE5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUOsNavOluw

His furrowed scowling Batman-esque headband is never not funny.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Tiny Timbs posted:

I'm kitting out SCUDs and PS5s don't cut it anymore

"next-gen" games went back to targeting an (unstable) 30/60 FPS with variable res. Super disappointing that MS and Sony still aren't willing to enforce a performance standard.

Their consoles are sold at a loss, and honestly both companies really only care about the game looking good enough for the frame-rate on a huge TV.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Lockback posted:

Gunna be impressed if they get those visuals out of the PS5/XSX

Going to be even more impressed if the rear USB ports on both consoles don't melt from the loving jet engine whine the game will cause the exhaust fans to produce.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

While nothing in that trailer is exactly revolutionary from a graphical standpoint, the big accomplishment would be delivering that level of fidelity across a huge open world game. But it's still over a year away, so I have to wonder how representative this trailer will end up really being.

I dread about eventually hearing about the massive amounts of crunch that will happen for this game.

Jiro fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Dec 7, 2023

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

After going to my first Microcenter and drooling at their stock of GPUs I didn't know there was a 4090 variant that's "slim" has anyone got one, noticed a significant difference in temp or noise? Would they be a viable candidate for a smaller form factor?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

shrike82 posted:

the PS5 has been great as a console gaming box. the issues sony is facing with "AAA" game financing applies to the PC equivalents too

The console noise is always something I don't look forward to. It's made me seriously consider if I ever get a ps5, I'm going to try and water block it.

Branch Nvidian posted:

GamePass is the only reason to get an Xbox, which is why I'm not really talking about it. To my knowledge every single Xbox title also has a Windows PC version.

They have so many OG X-Box games and 360 but NOT Conker Live and Reloaded!!! :argh:

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

KillHour posted:

I would not be surprised if a big reason 4090s are suddenly available is because of the rumors about the 5090 releasing this year and being a ringer. People are (smartly) starting to hold off. There's a good chance I would have ordered a FE 4090 a few weeks ago if one was available but now I'm waiting.

Honestly it really depends on how big the new series of cards are going to be, cause 40's are freaking massive.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

YerDa Zabam posted:

Haha, by a strange coincidence, I'm about to do this sort of thing to my 4090.
The fans are at zero a lot of the time but have a minimum of 30%, so when they come alive, it is noticeable. There's few particular RPMs that are a bit, idk, resonant in an annoying way, so strapping 3 Noctuas should solve it. It's also cheaper and more reversible than sticking an AIO water cooler on it.

Not sure of the specifics as you are aiming for 1080, but maybe a 4070 Super would be better price wise? The 4000 series is also uses less power so should be cheaper to run, and maybe cooler/quieter, compared to a 3080.
Really depends on the price you can get a 3080 I guess.

We had this sort of discussion a wee while back when my nephew was considering a 3080 (ti maybe?) for about the same price as a 4070 Super, and the 4070 Super won out on price/performance/energy use/software features.

If I could get a 3080 for say 100-150 less than a 4070, then I'd be tempted though.

Not my pics btw

Weird this person put their arm in an extra thick cable sleeve......

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Jon Pod Van Damm posted:

The American government is planning on raising taxes on aluminium, steel, advanced batteries, and semiconductors from China.

Sooooo, buy a video card now????? And other PC parts???