Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

KillHour posted:

Until I clicked that link, I was wondering why you were buying a graphics card from 2006.

http://www.nvidia.com/page/geforce_7950.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radeon_R100

Or from 2000.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Factory Factory posted:

Maxwell (the Kepler successor uarch) won't be out until 2014. If there are any "700" series cards this year, they will likely just be Fermi and Kepler rebadges. In fact, there are already some of those in the laptop field, just like there are "Radeon HD 8000M" parts that use first-gen GCN1.

No fundamentally new GPUs are due out for the rest of this year, really. The most shocking changes are low-end GCN Radeons and maybe the Kepler Refresh version of the current Kepler cards.

Is Maxwell the one that is supposed to have a separate on-board ARM CPU for doing stuff like vertex calculations?

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Just imagine if AMD had purchased nVidia like they originally planned (according to Hector Ruiz' book) and Jen-Hsun Huang took over as CEO of all of AMD like he demanded (which is why they didn't buy nVidia). We might be looking at an AMD that actually is competitive and profitable. We can dream \/:shobon:\/.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Mad_Lion posted:

As for my upgrade path, well, I used to upgrade more often, but the Q6600 with a 5850 has lasted quite a while. I'm one of those that goes big and then waits, sue me. I7 and a high end video card will last me a while.

Me and you, man. I'm still running a Lynnfield i7 with crossfire 5850s (one of which I snagged years later from a guy who upgraded his bitcoin mining setup and sold for almost nothing). June and then Maxwell can't come soon enough. The 5850 is definitely at the point now where it's showing its age. It only took 4 years :shobon:.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

I'm more interested in if the 760ti will have enough oomph to carry me until Maxwell hits.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Well, it's like anything - when it works, it's great; if it's broken, you hate it.

I just dumped my Crossfire 5850s that I was happy with for nearly 4 years for a single GTX 670, and the improvement is night and day for the games I play. Well, no poo poo! The games I played were broken or didn't scale with Crossfire! But in all the others - I probably could have just held out indefinitely.

The nVidia drivers do objectively have more features - adaptive vsync and forcing FXAA are pretty loving awesome.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

I need to stop reading this thread. The urge to get a 290 and convert entirely to water is getting fairly strong...

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Agreed posted:

PhysX: very cool, surprisingly high performance hit. You haven't really played Borderlands 2 until you've played it with PhysX on high, though. Watch for low minimum FPS during intensive scenes, that's where SMX units seem to have the most trouble scheduling CUDA calculations vs. shader calculations and the juggling can get to be a bit much. I bought a 650Ti to use as a dedicated PhysX processor, but for gently caress's sake do not do this unless you're dumb as heck and want to be the next target for general derision and general "that guy"-ness.

I'm planning on getting a 290X and keeping my 670 so I can do this:

http://www.ngohq.com/graphic-cards/22136-how-to-fix-hybrid-physx-with-latest-physx-and-geforce-285-solved.html

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Being the sane person that I am, I asked my wife if it was OK if I blew $1100 on computer watercooling parts and crossfire R9 290s.

Being the sane woman that my wife is, she pulled up my Steam library and asked me which game I had spent the most time playing recently.

It was Borderlands 2. At 1920x1200.

"And do you ever get below 60 fps, even with PhysX to high?"

"No..."

"Then let's go on a vacation instead, ok?"

And that was that.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Agreed posted:

I dunno, what, I don't mean this harshly or pejoratively or anything, but what actual business of mine is it how things work in your household budget? If you don't want/need a new graphics card, great, likely means you'll get a better price:performance choice later on when you do :) And if your wife insists on a certain way of doing things, that's between y'all. I think my wife's "fun stuff out --> fun stuff in" policy is totally fair and we more or less came up with it together.

It's more like, I get more enjoyment out of overclocking and cooling a computer than I do actually using it to play video games. And my wife puts those kinds of things in perspective for me, such that, yeah, I really would rather have a great week in Las Vegas than have a computer that's 5% faster at loading a Civ 5 map, saving me a grand total of 9 seconds and forcing me to endure millisecond-long dips into the sub-60fps realm. First loving world problems, what a bitch!

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

veedubfreak posted:

Time for a watercooling story kids. Gather around.

My current loop has 2 DDC pumps which are are these. http://www.frozencpu.com/products/2128/ex-pmp-27/Swiftech_MCP655-B_12v_Water_Pump_w_38_Conversion_Kit_317_GPH.html?tl=g30c107s153

If I run them at a setting of 1-2 they are silent. At 3 and above you can hear them, they are not loud enough to really bother you. These are pretty much the quietest pumps on the market. I run 2 of them in series, mostly because I had separate loops up until recently.

To cool off all the water, I run through 2 of these here. http://www.frozencpu.com/products/5795/ex-rad-121/Swiftech_MCR320_Quiet_Power_Triple_120mm_Radiator_-_Black_MCR320-QP-K.html?tl=g30c95s161

These radiators are thin and low fins per inch so running the fans at super high speeds doesn't really make a huge difference in performance. But, here's where it gets sticky. Running my processor and a single 290x the loop stays cool enough with the fans barely on. Once that 2nd card starts throwing another 300+ watts of heat into the system, I either have to turn the fans up or the loop gets a bit warm. So how do you solve this solution? Why, double the radiator count of course!

This sucker is going in the front of my H630 once the rest of the parts I want are in stock:

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=59_457_1276&products_id=32968

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Michymech posted:

Ha you wouldnt be able to fit a 480 in a arc mini, my case is the Phanteks Enthoo Primo Sure its rather large but I love the room you have to work with

Anything is possible, if you try.

(A Phobya 400mm radiator in an NZXT H630)

Two 200mm fans are literally inaudible.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

(Emphasis mine:)

We apparently live in a world where $800 monitors are regarded as being in that "price:performance" sweet spot. :smithicide: Still, at least we're headed in the right direction. Let's leave it up to reviews to see how passably bearable the image will be.

Seriously, you can get almost 3 of those Korean PLS 27" 1440p screens for that, most of which can hit at least 96Hz.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Am I doing something wrong or is a 780 really not enough to have a smooth framerate in Borderlands 2 with PhysX on high? I was kinda excited for it until I noticed battles lagged massively. I put it down to medium and it was better, but firefights were a bit choppy. Now its on low and I haven't looked back.

My 670 that I use as a dedicated PhysX processor spikes to around 50% utilization during heavy firefights with PhysX on high, so I think it's pretty intense in terms of processing power required.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

I uhh...I think I have a problem.

The 780Ti Classified absolutely dwarfs the GTX 670...

...but the radiator is much, much bigger.

Why not double the fun?

Pain in the rear end. 230 and 200mm fans have absolutely no standards whatsoever.

The stock cooler is really substantial.

Masking so I don't get gallium all over the surface mount parts.

Shiny.

Moment of truth.

forbidden dialectics fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jan 11, 2014

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

veedubfreak posted:

Welcome to the party. We all have problems. That classy 780 is nuts. Didn't realize they had that much power management on the card.

I tore mine down earlier today because my flow as jacked. Opened up my cpu block and it was full of god knows what. I assume it's flux from not flushing my new rads, but after cleaning it, and putting it all back together, my flow is almost doubles. Also put my higher rated fan controller in for the rad fans and temps have gone from meh to low. I can basically play MWO (which only uses 1 card) with only passive cooling.

It's probably plastisizer from the tubing. Mine was full of that poo poo. Slimy, white crap that floats at the top of your reservoir, yet most likely gets stuck in the fins of your blocks.

Factory Factory posted:

You pre-spread the thermal compound?! For shame! :pcgaming:

You have to with Liquid Ultra. It even comes with a brush!

forbidden dialectics fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jan 11, 2014

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

El Scotch posted:

Great googly-moogly. What case is that and what overclock did you get on that card? :pcgaming:

We'll see in a bit. Just re-installed Windows (haven't done a clean install in over a year). Running it up now. It's an NZXT H630. With some, uhh, crude modifications.

KingEup posted:

I don't understand why I should fear the radiator.

Just check out the most amazing loving website on earth. It's got it all; fixed width, unskippable flash intro (with sound!), completely devoid of useful information:

http://www.phobya.com/eng/phobya.html

EDIT:

I shudder to even speak these words but...I'm...well...I uhh...I'm power supply limited

Yep. I can push my 4770k to 5.0 GHz at 1.5v OR I can get 1430MHz on my 780Ti...but not both. Also, I can take out my GTX670 and get moderately better clocks in either. Welp! One of these is in my future:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151105

forbidden dialectics fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Jan 11, 2014

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Alright so after 2 days of tweaking, here's where I'm left:

Max temp was 48C, with a 4770k at 4700 core/4500 uncoreand 1.38v.

The memory is definitely topped out at 7800MHz (I know, how horrible.) The core clock will go much higher though, nearly 1.5GHz, HOWEVER:

There's currently an issue with the classified cards where you can't put more than 1.4v through them without a BSOD. EVGA is supposedly working on it but it has to do with Greenlight, so, I'm not holding out much hope. That core speed is with 1.38125v, which, with LLC, makes it right at the point of going over 1.4v.

Can't say I'm too upset though, Metro: LL with everything maxed, 2xSSAA, at a constant 60FPS (lowest drop is maybe 59) is a pretty sight to behold.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

So my new power supply is installed, I got the fixed EVGA Classified BIOS (oh, how strange for it to come out on the same day as the Kingpin edition!!!), the latest Classified Voltage Tool (which lets you increase the VDD PWM frequency, basically increases the level of LLC) and I am ready to clock. Let's see where this goes...

forbidden dialectics fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jan 18, 2014

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

So the PSU I got is faulty, and is being sent back. I'm back to the 750W PSU for now. For kicks, I got a Kill-A-Watt, and during 3dmark extreme, with 1.38125v through the 780Ti, the system was drawing peaks at around 948W from the wall. Assuming about 80% efficiency, that is right around where the overcurrent protection would trip. So yeah, no poo poo, overvolting these cards draws massive amounts of power.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Gyrotica posted:

I have a question about the GTX Titan. Are there any neat/fun/useful things one can do with a Titan that makes use of its compute capacity? My rig is primarily built for gaming and I'm not a molecular biologist, but I can't shake the feeling that I should find other uses for it since I have the capability.

I briefly dallied with cryptocurrency mining, but apparently CUDA just doesn't cut it.

There's a new(er?) version of cudaminer that makes Kepler reasonably competitive with AMD's offerings when it comes to cryptomining.

http://wccftech.com/protoshares-update-effective-cuda-mining/

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Gyrotica posted:

Unless this wins out :D

Just for shits and giggles I tried it out and my mildly overclocked 780Ti is pushing 700 kH/s, which is in the R9 280X ballpark. Not bad, and certainly a whole shitload better than where it was before, but not all that great. If I crank up the clock/volts it starts drawing frightening amount of power :stare:.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

GokieKS posted:

A question for people who use a dedicated PhysX card: how hot does that card get, and what kind of fan does your main GPU use? The fan on my 560 Ti 448 is starting to become louder than I really like when under load, and I've been looking to get a new GPU anyway (the 770 has been going up in price though, which is annoying), but I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the old card. At 40% fan speed it's still fine, so if being used as a PhysX card won't make it go over, say, 60 C, I can probably get away with just leaving the fan on minimum. I imagine it will be affected by the type of fan on the other GPU, since a non-blower type will be dissipating heat into the case rather than out of it, so that's another consideration.

I use a reference GTX 670 and the highest I've seen is 58 C. It's unnoticeable.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

veedubfreak posted:

The classified is actually a different board. It is set up to handle extra power. EVGA also pretty aggressively bins their chips, so a lot of time the higher clocked chips will overclock better. (not always but enough to matter).

This isn't entirely accurate. The Classified and ESPECIALLY the Kingpin versions are high leakage chips. This means they can clock extremely high but put out huge amounts of heat and require large amounts of power. My 780ti Classified @ 1554 MHz, 1.44V causes my overall system power usage under load to go from about 590 watts (everything stock) to 1090 watts. Watercooling the bare minimum to get the most out of these chips. If you're just air cooling, Classifieds are a waste of money. Just get the version with the ACX cooler which is loving HUGE and owns bones.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

veedubfreak posted:

Go for the Classified. It has better power circuitry than the SC and there are waterblocks from EK for it. The kingpin doesn't have any waterblocks made for it.

The classified EK block fits the kingpin card. If you're just water cooling though the kingpin is a waste.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

So here's my best result for a 4770k @ 4.7 and a Classified 780ti @ 1.5/1950.

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/1719246

This is a 24/7 stable config (which also serves as a space heater), and with a 80+ Gold PSU, uses just under 900 watts under full load.

Don't do it. You have enough FPS. Don't....go....down....this...path. Free....Mars....

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Straker posted:

I still don't understand why anyone would bother overvolting like that and wasting so much power blowing their poo poo up for nothing, it's like do you really need to play Planetside 2 at 4K or something? Why not just use two cards? :(

I don't really. For most things I turn it down to around 1398 MHz which is stable at about 1.3725V, which during load playing a game, uses only about 500-600 Watts. The performance difference is huge. Compared to stock it IS almost as fast as an SLI setup.

Agreed posted:

This is exactly how I feel. Followed by an undeniable twinge of "heeeey I wish mine would do that, that's 250MHz more than my card and it only costs a little more :saddowns:." You guys talking about OCing being fun are right, it is a bit of a thrill to push things to see what you can get out of them and a really high result is exciting :shobon: It also damages the useful life of the product substantially, as my 2600K can attest after two years of 4.7GHz finally becoming unstable in measurable ways and having to get bumped down to 4.5GHz to attain stability again, for now. I do have a new system build ready to go if/when the processor takes a dump, at least.

Speaking of redundancy and worry for hardware failure... Tell you what, though, not to poo poo on you at all Nostrum - but I am a little bit :raise: at the label "24/7 stable" for your clocks. It just seems like a pretty bold claim to make with those clocks and voltage; maybe you just got a golden chip (they exist, and you did get the right card to go hunting for one at this point in the exercise of trying to nab 'em), but with all we know about GDDR5's instability and all that, I'd be curious how it holds up to the aforementioned OpenCL memtest? I know there's not a very good way to validate the core, just kinda eyeball it and see if you can spot any artifacts while gaming or if it has any crash and recovery cycles.

Are you on water or air? I can't keep straight who's using what at this point for cooling, since we've had several folks do "The Mod" and others just transition to closed loop or full liquid cooling in the past several months.

Edit: My FS Extreme score with a 2600K@4.5GHz and a 780Ti@1.25GHz core &etc. / 1825MHz GDDR5 is 5680, so there's definitely a real performance delta - partially attributable to the higher quality and higher clocked CPU, partially to the higher quality and higher clocked graphics card, but either way, big rear end performance difference.

I've tested it with both OpenCL Memtest and G80Memtest. The memory is definitely a sticking point; no matter what, even 1 MHz higher and it artifacts like crazy or crashes. It is, however, completely stable at 1950MHz. It's a full water setup with EK blocks, a Phobya 2x 200MM radiator and an XSPC 420. The 4770k is definitely an "above average" chip. It'll run IBT all day long at 4.7 (with temps in the high 70's). It's "stable" at 4.8 but crashes after an hour or so. At 4.9 the computer is usable, but IBT crashes after a couple loops. 5.0 will boot to desktop but bluescreen almost instantly.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

SlayVus posted:

How could you actually expect an online exchange called Magic The Gathering Online Exchange to be reliable? /Sarcasm

On the subject of VRAM on GPUS, Nvidia has got to step up the amount on their enthusiast line up. 2 or 3GB on a high end enthusiast card is not enough for maxing new games on Surround when you're talking 6.2 million to 12.2 million pixels.

A single 4K display has from 7 million to 16.38 million pixels. With three 4K WHXGA(5120x3200) displays in surround you're talking FORTY NINE MILLION pixels.

Well how are they going to sell you the $1000 upgrade with 6GB 3 months later, then?

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Ignoarints posted:

How do you get higher clock speeds by undervolting if you're already using all your tdp? I'm not trying to say you're wrong because I want you to be right lol

Undervolting will use less power which in turn gives you more headroom to reach the TDP cap. It would be really difficult to find your max clocks this way since undervolting could potentially reduce stability, and you're changing at least 2 variables at the same time.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Alereon posted:

I look forward to seeing people buy $200 motherboards for improved overclocking on their $150 videocards (or burning out their $150 motherboards).

Quite a few cheaper motherboards have the extra molex connector for supplying more power to the PCI express lanes. That one bitcoin mining one from Asrock is only $69 and has TWO :smug:.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Nephilm posted:

Once the difficulty on litecoin or whatever flavor of the month is ramps up enough that only ASICs will cut it, people will switch to the next flavor of the month cryptocoin. There'll be no end to it until the fad itself dies.

There are a couple coins based on scrypt-n (vertcoin for example) that are supposedly ASIC-proof. Then again that's what scrypt was supposed to be. Also Primecoin can only be mined on CPUs. But no one (even coin miners) gives a poo poo about that one.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Ignoarints posted:

Jesus Christ guys, we've been getting ripped off. GTX 770's only cost $84.95 direct from China.

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/1041810

:v:

alarming how much positive feedback

I kind of wonder what they are, actually. Just a low end GTX 620 that's been flashed to make it look like a GTX 770? I guess I shouldn't expect too much more from the country that makes counterfeit eggs.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Also most new coins are just obvious pump and dumps which people keep falling for, for some reason. So someone is making money, just not most everyone else.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

DrDork posted:

Yes, 0.05V is probably what he means, which seems entirely reasonable for the overclock he notes (which isn't anything amazing by 290X standards--a lot of people can hit 1235MHz core without too much trouble, but need +100-200mV to do so rather than his +50mV).

If he did actually push it to 1.55V, that'd be almost 50% overvolting which would likely end in tears quickly.

Yeah my 780ti at 1.5V gets real stupid, real fast. Try 800+ watts just for the video card.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

The Lord Bude posted:

Isn't that kinda like what Gigabyte does by having a sata power connector for the PCIe lanes? Pretty lovely if you ask me considering EVGA mobos are ludicrously overpriced and incredibly spartan in features compared to other top end boards from Asus/MSI/Asrock.

I had 2 p55 EVGA motherboards. They had a "feature" which, when you turned your computer on, it booted for like 3 seconds, shut off completely, then booted normally. The reason? To warm your components up so your overclocked components would be at their real-life temperatures. You couldn't turn it off. This caused your hard drives' SMART to go apeshit since it counted every single power-on.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

AMD should sue Qualcomm for allowing them to make the worst business decision of the century. Even the judge would give them an "aww, you dumb kids!" kind of look before dismissing it.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Hey, look on the bright side. At least FuryX isn't slower than AMD's previous generation of cards. That's progress, right?

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

What's the go-to HTPC card these days? I want to get into the hyper-spergy world of madVR, and I'll be upscaling mostly 720p/1080p content to 4K. Also it would be phenomenal if it was capable of sending the audio/video stream through different HDMI ports since my receiver doesn't support 4K passthrough.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Desuwa posted:

If you're going to be using NNEDI3 to upscale, which I'd recommend if you have the budget and can keep your GPU cool without too much noise, you're going to want the strongest AMD card you can afford. NVIDIA has been garbage for anything even the least bit compute-y this generation and my 980 Ti cannot do all I want even for 23.976Hz content. If you're doing NNEDI3 I'd advise waiting for the next generation.

I was definitely planning on using NNEDI3, with as many neurons as I can run in real time. I'm not in any rush so I'll wait for Polaris, then. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Hmmm...I was going to wait for the Classified or HOF version to put under water, but poo poo, maybe I'll just snatch one of these up now. EK already has a water block for it.