Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Twibbit posted:

My 4070s arrived to replace my spontaneously dead 3080 ti. And after messing with dlss3 in Cyberpunk... I am a believer. This poo poo is black magic. Though I can spot the disocclusion artifacts if I look for them, but everything else is enough of a win that I am not bothered by it.

It is even possible for a 3080 ti to be out of warranty? Aren't they mostly 3 years?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Not to pick on you specifically, but is there a reason we give X a bunch of traffic instead of just linking to the article?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

dkj posted:

A shimmering blurry galaxy

One with so much latency, that you can, just like looking up at distant stars, enjoy the light from frames long, long ago

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Works on w10

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Hasturtium posted:

8500LE was about 10% lower-clocked than the regular 8500 but otherwise identical; MX 200 was a GeForce2 MX that was hobbled with a 64-bit SDR memory bus, which had an effect on performance similar to the DDR4 versions of the GT 1030. Which goes to show that everything old is new again for Nvidia.

It was the Geforce 4 MX that was the real trap. I tried to steer people away, but "it's so cheap"!
Same poo poo with the fx 5200

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

It doesn't seem like a great deal for only 40 quid saved. I'd get the 4070 super.
Everyone's touched on why

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Feb 16, 2024

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

PirateBob posted:

I'm happy with 90. Diminishing returns after that.

Yeah, I recall 85 Hz in the CRT days where flickering entirely stopped in my perpherial vision.
Under that it was visible. There's a reason Valve decided on 90 for the Vive.

More is surely going to help with stability to some degree, but diminishing returns beyond that are very steep

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Cyrano4747 posted:

There's no indication that they're going to change their standard playbook of releasing the PC version a year later. They want people double dipping on multiple platforms.

Yeah just forget it exists for a while. I did that with gta v.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

shrike82 posted:

lol if GTA6 runs (only) at 4k30
that'll be the first time in a while many gamers are forced to play at 30 this gen

4k upscaled from 1440p, 30 fps. Of course it will be. Maybe even dynamic or lower input res, fsr2

I'll wait for the pc release

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

njsykora posted:

No PC gamer would ever play their games upscaled from a lower resolution.

It's more the 30 FPS that would be disappointing

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

shrike82 posted:

the rumors about the switch 2 having an 8" screen are interesting - that makes it likely bigger than the steam deck.
quaint to think back to the Wii U which I remember thinking was huge at the time but ultimately had a 6.2" screen

To be fair the wii u gamepad has some chunky bezels

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Feb 28, 2024

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1762852042635088081
AMD GPU not tripping at the finish line challenge level: impossible

If memory clocking is a go, and board partner release updates and new cards with 20Gbps memory, this could be compelling. The gpu is held back hard right now

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

mobby_6kl posted:

I remember the 2080 looking like poo poo because of the higher prices vs Pascal cards :negative:

It was. It was the generation to avoid when looking at msrp

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

njsykora posted:

Actually a dude in the retrogaming thread made a 5090 cable.

Hope the power is super clean, I was never happy with using a switch mode psu on my mega drive, so I went back to a linear psu, after all that's what they were designed around, they're not expecting any junk on the line

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

BobHoward posted:

How did you determine your linear PSU provides better regulation than your SMPS? This is not a given.

And how do you know the Mega Drive wasn't designed for some PSU noise? Chips from that era are typically specced for 5V +/- 10%, which is 4.5V to 5.5V. So power supply noise can be as bad as 1V peak-to-peak!

Honestly, your worst noise issue with either kind of PSU is likely to be the locally generated digital switching noise on the Mega Drive's motherboard. The solution to an excess of that is to recap it, since when that's a problem, it's typically due to old and tired electrolytic bypass caps.

Fake edit: looked poo poo up before hitting post, apparently the original Mega Drive PSU is 9-10V unregulated. That means there's some DC-to-DC regulation happening on the Mega Drive's motherboard, which in turn means you really do not have to worry about linear vs SMPS in the wall wart!

It was probably a garbage tier switching psu, it came with the console when I picked it up. I have to admit, I didn't try another smps, I just picked up a very old original one, which immediately fixed the image quality issue

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

FuturePastNow posted:

Do games show similar gains? I haven't seen anything but that 3DMark graph

Very interesting. I guess I missed the bit where memory oc became possible on gre. This is going to be the value winner

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

I hope they can have a normalised shroud so they can be physically part of the case, I love the builds where the card is just flush with the case exterior, no impediment to airflow

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

YerDa Zabam posted:

Yeah, true dat, the 1440p uplift wasn't great really.

A deranged option for the terminally impatient such as myself is...
Sell the 3080. (I'll use UK prices here) £450. Buy second hand 4080 (non super) £750. £300 for 50% improvement, no waiting!
Sell the 4080 whenever the next stuff comes (if you are bothered)

Again, a bit UK-centric, but you'll maybe save £50 a month in electric cost between the 30 and 40 series lol.
(not the 4090, that thing is scaring me every time I look at the watt meter, even with an undervolt)
To be "fair" to the electric companies, it has reduced a wee bit in the last year or two. The side effect of those prices is that I had to sell all my older enterprise homelab/NAS gear, as having 600W going all day wasn't viable. That partly funded the 4090, so silver linings and all that jazz

50 quid a month?? difference?? surely there's no way, unless you're talking about running the cards flat out all the time. What are the numbers on that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Jippa posted:

I updated my gtx 1080's drivers for the first time in over a year and it is causing all sorts of problems.

Is there a way to view my driver update history? I specifically want to know which older ones I was using as they worked perfectly.

Find the card in device manager and roll the driver back on the driver tab of the device properties