Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Started playing FF7 HardType mod recently and it's making it a little more interesting when replaying the game again, can't just hold O at every battle anymore.

However I've already hit a bit of a wall with Reno on the pillar... Cloud, Barret, Tifa all at lv. 11 and his electro-mag rod basically is giving me 1-2 limit breaks per round, but he Pyramids so fast that I've gotten game overs 3 times now after the last man standing was quickly killed while trying to break the 2 pyramids (obviously Reno won't attack someone in one) because he is taking people out in 2-3 hits (everyone in back row).

It's already forcing me to make more use of Steal, Magic, etc. than I ever did in vanilla, so that's a bit more fun I spose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Pesky Splinter posted:

Lightning Returns Final Fantasy XIII.

Lightning Returns Final Fantasy XIII

Lightning Returns Final Fantasy XIII

gently caress me, that's a terrible title. I'll reserve judgment on the actual thing, when there's stuff to see.

Dirge of Cerberus Final Fantasy VII. Crisis Core Final Fantasy VII. Dissidia Duodecim Final Fantasy. It's the same dumb convention they've been using for a while now, but no one will call it anything besides Lightning Returns or 13-3.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Mega64 posted:

If they do that, hopefully they let you change the time to whenever immediately like Xenoblade.

Though if the thirteen days happens real-time and there's tons of different things to do and endings to get, that'd be kinda cool too. Not that I really expect that much freedom in Final Fantasy, but still.

FFXIII Majora's Mask?

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Simarly, and I've been playing FF7 on my Nexus 7 tablet and just got to Cosmo Canyon. The game runs great but the sound skips some. I'm using FPSe for Android... Recently ripped my psx games onto my media server for use with epsxe after my psone finally died, use AndFTP to move iso and memcard files between PC and tab so I can pick up where I left off on either device.

7 runs fine out of the box but I'll be trying the presumably more taxing 8 and 9 next. Have not tried the emu on my android phone yet, but mine is a couple years old now.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

PTizzle posted:

Cheers - I think the PS3 does have some sort of sharpening option, I used some graphical option for FFIX and it looked better than it did on my PSX back in the day. I'd be purchasing it off the PSN so fingers crossed it looks fine.

I'm not usually a stickler for graphics, but those PSX/N64 era games just look shocking to me nowadays, SNES and before is fine. Low-res 3d is just a chore at times.

Maybe it's because I grew up with them, but I think some of the more stylized PSX games like Vagrant Story, MGS, Silent Hill, FF9 hold up better because they play to the strengths of the console, which I would say are lower poly models with higher quality textures. Mega Man Legends went a different route and its cel-shading has held up pretty well too. Obviously none of them will have high-quality textures but MGS and VS especially have such a strong consistent style throughout that it still works for me. Compared to rougher games like Crash, Gex, Spyro, Armored Core where they tried to make more complex/morphing models with fewer bright colors. I think those look more immediately rough.

I would love an HD texture Vagrant Story, that game was beautiful art-wise for a PSX game. It's a bit like what some of the dungeons of FF12 would've looked like in the PS1 era. I lump VS in the same dark fantasy realm as Demon's/Dark Souls where there isn't as much dialogue but instead an emphasis on the solitary player, improving the arsenal and mastering magic rather than level grinding, and a great mood throughout. Also extremely obtuse to a beginner without external help resources. Too bad there was never a VS 2, it would be interesting to see how the battle sphere/chaining idea could be modernized.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I remember Gamewinners was my favorite until around 2002. No oversight there, I'm pretty sure they had several Aeris revival tricks. Also that was when I first wondered why the heck everyone on there said Aerith.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I'd be sort of shocked if they announce an FF6 remake/sequel via a website announcement and not a trade show or something with more than 3 days' warning. Seems like that's one of the most beloved of the series with 4 and 7, so they would call as much attention to such an effort as they could. My money would be on a port or something. Which would be sort of unexciting, even with new features like GBA had.

That said, won't complain if they make a FF6-2 or something. They can't un-make the fun of the original, so why not give players a shot at revisiting the world in a new way?

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Terper posted:

The ATB trailer makes it look really really fun, dang.

Heh, at 1:10 you can even see a SNES sprite version of Midgar while they battle 3 of those SOLDIER third class enemies or whatever. I wonder how the game play actually works, it looks cool but also a bit of a mess. Each dude has one move and you tap to execute?

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Not that it prevented the game from being sort of easy, but Chrono Cross only let you level up a certain amount based on how many bosses you've beaten (in the form of stars) and that carried over into NG+.

The standard rpg nerd in me likes level counters going up, but it helped send a message that you didn't need to get too caught up in fights. I also like rpgs that refill your health after fights so each fight is a clean slate, it lets them be a bit more deliberate with difficulty and pacing.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I don't think that's true. I've played it a few times and always have to stop and grind a bit at certain dungeons. Depends on what you consider trivial, I guess. I think of FF6 or 7 as trivial, where holding O during most battles is sufficient. Depending on the classes you use, FF1 can be tough during some of the deep dungeons.

That one hallway with the Earth Ogres or whatever is a good way to quickly grind up and trivialize the game if you care to, though.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Epi Lepi posted:

Yes please do this, I had to bail on this thread last time because I could not give a poo poo about FJF.

Yeah, agree. FF5 is fun and all but reading 30 pages in a row of people saying "my team is X, Y and Z" got pretty old after the first couple. A separate thread would make more sense.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Renoistic posted:

Here's a video of the final boss of FFXII, by the way. The awful stuff begins at 5:00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGJlipc-TBk

Now that I think about it - I think Vayne might be the only human character who we actually get to witness transforming.
The games normally just fade to black and voilá - the boss is now an inhuman abomination!

I haven't beaten 12 in years, but that final boss reminds me most of Vagrant Story's final boss battle. A giant winged godlike thing circling around an arena and you can hit him at the periphery.

Given all the other FF12 -> VS parallels, this isn't surprising, but it felt like that to me.

In VS he had big ol' angel wings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jkk_wDOQt3g

Electromax
May 6, 2007
It's funny in retrospect, but my first time through 7 (which was my first JRPG) I remember being shocked during the flashback when I thought my 600 HP were getting bottomless and Sephiroth hits that dragon for 3,000+ damage. "How am I ever going to defeat this guy?" Effective to kid me in establishing him as something to be scared of when he would appear.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
A bit late on the Ivalice chat and the games are very different, but Crimson Shroud from Level-5 on the 3DS was led (?) by Yasumi Matsuno and feels a LOT like the vibe of the Tactics games, FF12 and Vagrant Story.

As an RPG it's short and simple, but the character models look like FF12 rejects and the music is similar to all the Matsuno games.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Chrono Trigger's NG+ is like the anti-failure, you can succeed against the boss whenever you want! Cross also.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Hahahaha

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Madmarker posted:

Probably that weird group of people that thought they were reincarnations of Jenova and whatnot.

Here we go: http://www.demon-sushi.com/warning/mee.html

Holy poo poo. I just fell down that rabbit hole for 20 minutes in the office this morning.

I never cease to be fascinated by the strange that's exposed on the net. Those people exist somewhere out there.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
You can revive people from the dead (or is it "knocked out") and also summon giant creatures that can warp spacetime as well as speeding yourself up and creating magic shields around yourself. I don't think healing a wound is all that weird.

/I'm sorry Aeris, I had 20 phoenix downs but they wouldn't use them in the cutscene :(

Electromax
May 6, 2007
FF8 is weird. I nearly reset the game my first time through, at 2 points when I was stonewalled by a boss. The boss of the missile base (Blue Tank) with the team I never used of Irvine and Selphie and Quistis because I didn't expect to need both teams to be "boss ready", and NORG. I didn't understand drawing/junctioning well at that age and hadn't figured out any of the refine exploits.

I ended up using my very limited Aura supply to just have limit breaks through the fights, but that sucked and I usually died.

Subsequent playthroughs I beat the missile boss in about 3 hits and was doing 9999 most of the game. Which is fine when I'm just playing the game for brief nostalgia and just want the pretty backdrops and music and to skip all the fighting and dialogue.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

forbidden lesbian posted:

I try not to be one of them "you have to buy this omg" type people bc those people are insufferable, but the 3DS has a huge game library so I feel like you will find a lot more then just Threatrythm or Zelda to play.

Yeah I mean, if you're in this thread, there's a good chance Bravely Default would appeal to you. I didn't finish it but it was enjoyable while I was making my way through in an old-school FF5 way.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I've been putzing around with some data to learn Tableau better this week, and I decided to write a python scraper for Terence Fergusson's FF7 Mechanics guide to pull the encounter and enemy data.

It isn't really very far along but I thought some of ya'll might find it very mildly interesting for 2 minutes:
FF7 Enemy Database

Put that together watching TV last night, thinking about how one could incorporate more data to make a sort of "FAQ Dashboard" that would have this kind of info maybe over a map or something to give a quick reference as you play through a game. Could eventually add more info about items, limit breaks, characters, materia etc. I have all that in Excel already but just not sure if there are interesting ways to present it.

It's also incomplete - need to do some cleanup of the enemies that were parsed from the FAQ. I found 4 different sites with 4 different stats for some of the monsters and I don't know that I'm going to spend more than another hour or two later this week playing with the data some more.

Also thinking about other games with easy sources of tabular data that could be made into interesting formats like the Souls series.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Keep the story as sparse as possible and don't burden it with frequent 10-minute cutscenes where the older game just had 30 seconds of dialogue boxes.

Keep the materia system more or less as-was at least as far as the fancy combos.

Make parachuting into Midgar a pilotwings-esque minigame.

I am prepared to give you my money in approximately 3 years.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I'll go ahead and guess 7/7/17.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I beat vanilla and thought I was perfectly good at the game but I couldn't get much past Dorter in 1.3 so I deleted it. Too hard for the casual fan - it was only the content patch too.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Can't wait to see Cosmo Canyon and the Temple with those graphics

Electromax
May 6, 2007
As long as KotR still takes 60 seconds to animate and chocobo breeding is a thing.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
What schadenfreude?

Give me Midgar in 2017 and Cosmo Canyon in 2018, that's all fine if it means I can start playing before 2019 at all.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I still don't recall that, after playing the game 20 times since 1997. Is the Sephiroth you see during the game just Jenova or some kind of mental projection?

Also, chapters as I might optimistically suggest in terms of balancing development/modeling...

1 Midgar (develop combat and engine, generate lots of assets that will be reused, get foundation in place)

2 Kalm -> Costa del Sol prison escape (World Map, Chocobos, Junon, Saucer, ending with Barrett-centric portion & buggy)

3 Gongaga/Cosmo Canyon > Temple (rest of World Map, Tiny Bronco, ends on Aeris leaving)

4 Bone Village > Icicle Inn > Mideel (huge northern limits section, Aeris death, ends with comatose Cloud)

5 Huge Materia quest > Midgar II > End (underwater portion, Diamond Weapon, revisiting Midgar, Northern Cave, endgame)

e: I guess if you ignore the amount of content in each chapter, it would ideal to end one on Aeris dying. But Discs 2 and 3 are just so short/irregularly paced compared to Disc 1 where you literally cross the plane.t

Electromax fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Dec 7, 2015

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Huh? Sephiroth is Sephiroth. I think you misunderstood what he was saying exactly.

I just saw people talking about the Sephiroth you see throughout the game (Shinra HQ, on the boat, in the Temple) and I always thought that was just him projecting an image of himself (that can stab) from his goo prison in the Crater. Thus the teleporting through walls and stuff. But I looked it up on wiki just now and I guess it's actually just Jenova who is shapeshifted to look like him?

In any case, there could be some sweet Thing-esque shapeshifting horror if they do the Shinra HQ escape right. That part left me creeped out as a kid when I didn't know what the trail of blood led to.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
FF7 is there with Mario 64 and MGS1 as my holy trinity of my teenage videogame golden years, and I've played it to completion probably 10 times since.

But I agree with those about the ATB system not being ideal. It normalized everyone (especially following 6) so instead of waiting for Yuffie's turn to come up to steal stuff, I would be thinking "ok wait who did I give this Steal materia to..." I liked that as a kid so I could use my bro party of Cloud/Cid/Red and still do everything, but nowadays I realize I've barely used Cait, Yuffie or Vincent ever.

The materia combos were a great idea and I think the action system could do some really neat things with it- on PS1 after a certain point you could set up 4x cut + Mug and all that stuff and simple Attack became the optimal command, which is kind of lame. No point to lean on Fire 3 when your sword already does 9999 every time on Disc 2. As someone who played all the PS1 RPGs I think now it's easier to make a memorable action system vs. another ATB system. Like, Bravely Default was cool, but aside from the brave/default stuff the strategies are the same as they've been since FF4 or before. Dedicated healer with potions or spells who bides time because their attack sucks. Status effects for the bosses who are weak to them, status prevention if the boss uses it. Slow and Haste. We all know how turn-based RPGs work and where their ceiling is. If they were going back to that system, I'd want to see something really off-the-wall like Chrono Cross color system mixed with Mother 3's rhythm combat and Undertale's dodging or something.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I was always a "early party" fan. Cloud/Barrett/Tifa, Squall/Zell/Rinoa, Zidane/Steiner/Dagger/Vivi, Tidus/Wakka/Auron.

FF8 was easy because Quistis, Irvine and Selphie would be at the bottom of my list across all the games. Toss Cait Sith, Quina and Eiko down there too.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I always thought of Red XIII as a lion thing, surprised to see everyone calling him dog a couple pages ago.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Before it was announced, the fan situation was just bitching about how SE is turning down the chance to print money with a remake. Being genuinely happy and hopeful about a Major Corporation's Decision is a sign of weakness among gamer circles.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Square is probably doing the episodic thing because they know that most buyers just want to replay the first few Midgar parts they remember from 20 years ago. If that doesn't go over well they can just cancel the rest of it and still make some nostalgia bux.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Xavier434 posted:

This is a joke right?

Yes.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
FF12 reactions are unpredictable. I love 12 but have no interest in playing 10 a second time. Also never played an MMO and I got bored with Dragon Age after 30 minutes.

I encourage more games with the Vagrant Story/Ivalice aesthetic. FF12 was faintly Vagrant Story-esque.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Replaying FF9 and I just got to Lindblum. Brings back the warm fuzzies - this game would probably be on the short list of "fictional worlds I'd like to live in if I'm ever in a coma" or whatever.

Except I guess for the part where they let a ton of wild animals loose to apparently terrorize children who don't go inside during the hunt festival. Good thing I was here to save your stupid asses. The other place I remember being pretty cool was Treno, hopefully that's coming up before too long.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I missed story chat a few pages ago and nobody cares and nostalgia etc. but I like the broad strokes of FF7. Ancient meteor brings The Thing, the fall of Sephiroth, the misremembered past (which obviously had some clunky execution), the reappearance of Sephiroth as a demonic wizard, the plot to wound the world and absorb the white blood cells that accumulate there. The secret flashback tapes of Aeris in the snow place. Was basically riveted as a 5th grader. Wasn't grabbed by 8-9 as much and kind of checked out after 10.

I also liked Wild Arms and Vagrant Story... ahh, the halcyon days.

e: clearly 7 has some silly details to pick at along the way though.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
FF8 also had cool music and a kind of interesting pseudo-modern fantasy design with the elaborate outfits for the sorceress, the Garden flying modes, Esthar in general and the time-compressed castle. And it also has chill spots like Winhill and the Shumi Village. The story is a bit goofy but I liked the aesthetic more than FF9's more traditional style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I always liked that word choice, paling. Like a magical fence. Hadn't heard it like that before FF12.