Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nomura just did the character designs for XIII, didn't he? I don't think he actually had any input on the gameplay. Like, at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

pw pw pw posted:

Can you show me a game with characters he designed that do not suck donkey chunks? I'm genuinely interested curious.
He designed the boss monsters for SMRPG. :colbert:

EDIT: Also yeah, the PS1 FFs had some occasional weird designs (what's with your arm-guard Yuffie why is it so huge) but for the most part they were solid.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Not to mention, considering his personality Kuja's design was probably at least sort of meant to be garish.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Wait, so I'm the only one who would totally wish for pink hair and magic? In that order?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Not to mention he thinks every Brawl tourney uses mods by law or something. poo poo, it's not like they're holding guns to people's heads and telling them to run a Brawl tourney with the mods. They just run a tourney with the modifications because they want to.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Welp, I'm in, took hard mode, and grabbed berserker risk. This is going to be terrible, I know it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

That's impossible.

Hard Mode only rolls from classes you have available, obviously, so you'll always have a wind crystal job. And Berserker Risk...

Rules posted:

Worried that Hard Mode won't be hard enough? For every $10 donated before the Fiesta starts a random Hard Mode player who opts into Berserker Risk will be given another Berserker randomly replacing one of their non-Wind Jobs!

That said, three Berserkers and a Thief only sounds moderately less impossible.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I think revenantkioku lives in Japan, taking a look at his twitter. Might be wrong though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Got monk! Since I'm Berserker Risking, this might actually be kind of useful. Let's hope I get some sort of magic though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah, I'm in the thing and I find the discussion interesting but discussion of the actual FF games beyond a challenge in 5 has basically completely stopped. Maybe it would have been better to make a separate thread?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The first Shadow Hearts is probably the best, anyway, and I liked the other two. It manages to be goofy and not take itself amazingly seriously while still not falling into stupidity like FtNW, or kinda sorta meandering like Covenant.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I guess I could see how you'd have that opinion about Earthbound, but how do you have that opinion about the Mario RPGs? They're pretty toned-down. I mean, yeah, they outright break the fourth wall sometimes but their quirkiness isn't really forced so much as just a result of the setting. They're Mario RPGs, of course they're gonna be a bit goofy.

Not to mention Bowser's dialogue across all the Mario RPGs is some of the most amazing writing ever.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dr Pepper posted:

Dissidia confirmed this for cannon, pretty much. :v:
You don't even need Dissidia for this. In FF8 he mentions FF5, and from there it's just a matter of 'Well, if it's the same guy once, it's probably the same guy again, since there isn't anything that contradicts that.'

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Azure_Horizon posted:

That article series is okay... until he gets to IX, in which case I'd just rather punch the writer.

that dude posted:

Secondly, there's...well, let's start by looking at Tifa and Rinoa. Final Fantasy VIII's Rinoa had her fans, but to put it bluntly, there is far less Rinoa hentai floating around cyberspace than there is of VII's buxom heroine. It is an established fact that you can gauge the populariy anime/video game character by the amount of people drawing them naked and posting them on the Internet, and its is unlikely that this discrepancy between Tifa and Rinoa smut escaped Square's attention. The natural solution was to fetishize Dagger in a similar vein as Tifa. But instead of giving Dagger a massive bust, they focused on her booty instead.

I feel richer for having read this.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Honestly the only thing I disliked about Garnet was her somehow not knowing what a dagger was, even though she apparently read/watched a lot of plays? You think a dagger would be a pretty common tool in plays. Backstabbing, suicide, knife to the throat, thieves and assassins.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Update happened. It's the backing track for a song (no vocals, no real drive to it), a very black city. and the timer reset with 6 days listed next to it. Update everyday with more of the song and image, probably.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Krad posted:

... a TWEWY mobile social game? FINALLY, the sequel everyone's been waiting for.
Might just be an advertising tie-in. Relax.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I don't think that's the full calling remix, actually. It's missing some of the vocals and instrumentation you'd expect.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mister Roboto posted:

Each day seems to update it slightly.
Yes, that's what I'm saying.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

It's not that 30 bucks for a full length RPG is a problem, it's that A) it probably isn't full-length, not that that's an indicator of quality and B) it looks like it was made in loving RPG maker. Using the default settings.

Honestly, I'd probably be willing to pay 30 dollars for at least a couple of RPG maker games (Exit Fate mostly), so even the 'made in RPG Maker" ness of it isn't a huge turn-off, but it just screams laziness to me. Especially the reused assets from FF4.

Actually, using Exit Fate as an example again, one of these games was made by one of the largest companies in one of the largest industries in the world, and is being sold for thirty dollars, and one of these was made by one dude in his spare time and is completely free. Which one looks more professional to you?

Endorph fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Aug 25, 2012

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Azure_Horizon posted:

At least it doesn't have Exit Fate's absolutely poo poo-tastic character art.
Eh, Exit Fate's character art varies from character to character. Some of it's pretty solid, some of it's meh but passable, and some of it is. Uh. Fitch.

The ones that are out-and-out bad are pretty rare, though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

penguinmambo posted:

Your lovingly donated avatar reminded me I sort of forget that Lightning has pink hair and how or when my brain began to process that as a legit color in an otherwise normal design.
Well, it's not like it's super bright pink.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Squeenix is in no way in dire straits. Like, at all. They're making literally All the Money.

Their games maybe aren't doing as well critically, but they're about as successful as they have been for the past decade or so. Really the only black spot on their record from a financial standpoint is FF14, and I'd be willing to bet they still turned a profit on that even with the massive damage control they had to do. And even if they didn't, an MMO is a long-term thing. So long as they get enough subscribers to pay for the server costs (which they almost certainly already have, even with the massive backlash), it'll, eventually, pay for itself.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Aug 29, 2012

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Zombies' Downfall posted:

I think people are just looking at the quality, critical reception, etc of Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts and forgetting the non-JRPG poo poo they've got going. They published Deus Ex 3 and Sleeping Dogs, they're publishing the new Hitman, they've handled/are handling the Japanese ports and publishing for a bunch of huge western games like Modern Warfare 3, Black Ops 2, and Arkham City.

They're definitely doing okay, and will continue to be for the foreseeable future (especially if either Hitman or Tomb Raider ends up being a home run).
And, again, a lot of people dumb on FF13/13-2/the latest Kingdom Hearts games, but they're obviously still selling well. If Kingdom Hearts wasn't selling well, they wouldn't have milked it for every cent it was worth before making KH3.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Even if Squeenix did make nothing but poo poo games (and they made TWEWY so), 'Evil', really? Come on. For one thing, how are they even to blame for their fanbase?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I don't know, I didn't mind Dali. It's been a bit since I played it, but it didn't seem to take that long (maybe 15-20 minutes?) and it's immediately followed by the two Black Waltz scenes, which, even though they're just dialogue and a couple of boss fights, at least manage to seem exciting.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mister Roboto posted:

4-6 are a "loose" trilogy in that the stories don't really interact. The director even said it wasn't supposed to be a trilogy, which is an odd contradiction since the games themselves point out they're on the same world, albeit centuries apart. I've always wondered if the director was mistranslated or something.
Well, it fits? The stories aren't really interwoven, they just take place in the same setting. For a nerdy example, the first three Star Wars movies are obviously a trilogy, but you couldn't grab three stories from the extended canon and say they were a trilogy just because they take place in the same setting. They'd barely have anything to do with each other.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Krad posted:

Shades of Kingdom Hearts in my TWEWY? :frogout:
The secret ending has been in the game since the original DS game. They just added that bit of the new character to the end of it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

If you can hate this boss theme, I don't think you're human.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Iunno, Yangus doesn't really look like Goku.

Like, yeah, it's a problem definitely, but there's at least some variety in his designs.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

TL posted:

I'm surprised to see so many people picking the Black Waltz chase as their favorite movie from FFIX, when IX has this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MqtmQ7EvUU

Seriously, this is my favorite movie in any FF.
Haha, I forgot that "Quite a woman you fell in love with!" "You're one to talk!" exchange.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

On the other hand, Kefka's English VA in Dissidia is basically the best thing ever.

EDIT: But yeah, the plot is singularly awful. All people wanted was a goofy little crossover thing, not some ridiculously convoluted thing about 13 BATTLES IN SPACE AND TIME AND AMNESIA. I've loving beaten both those games and I still don't have the slightest idea what actually happened. There wasn't even much good interaction between characters (beyond anything involving Kefka or Jecht) because A) half the characters don't even act like they do in the actual games, and B) when they do act like they do in their actual games, they're too busy talking about whatever bullshit is going on in the nonsense plot to actually just bounce off each other as characters.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Sep 10, 2012

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

"FF9's music isn't as memorable."
"What? I remember it clear as day." - like half the thread
"If you remember it more, that's fine, but it's not as memorable."

:psyduck:

Have you ever considered that there's more results on youtube for FF7 and FFX because more people played those? Also, did you play FF7 when you were a kid/teenager, and if so, did you also play FF9 when you were a kid/teenager? Did you play FF9 before or after FF7?

Because, seriously, a lot of memorability when it comes to music has to do with the context you first heard it in. I can remember the not bad, but fairly directionless boss themes from that one Yu-Gi-Oh SRPG on Gamecube, not because I think it's awesome music or it's instantly memorable, but just because it was one of the first games I got for my gamecube and I played the poo poo out of it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Falsebound Kingdom is pretty alright as a game. Like, it's not amazing, and it's pretty easy to break the game wide-open, but it does some interesting things. I've certainly played way worse.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Himuro posted:

Haha Mass Effect 1 in a top 10 best rpgs ever list haha.
I wouldn't even put Mass Effect 1 in a top 10 best Mass Effect games list.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Francois Kofko posted:

No worries, FFIX is flawless :smug:
FF9's severe flaw: Beatrix doesn't join the party.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

At least Dragon Quarter built its mechanics around the saving thing. The final dungeon in FF3 just doesn't have any save points because gently caress you.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Azure_Horizon posted:

Tales' games at least stick to a point for most of the game.
Tales games at least usually have a couple of likable characters.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bear Sleuth posted:

Okay, maybe "little" girl was a misnomer, but there's still an abundence of pandering fanservicey characters.
That's arguable but I don't think Eiko is really one of them. Her huge crush on Zidane is played for laughs, not pandering or anything. Like, I'm sure some creep out there thinks it's the best thing ever, but that isn't the writer's fault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Toshimo posted:

Because they got a lovely mix of anime voice actors and people with no experience to do all the leads?
The voice actors in FF13 are fine. They all have at least a few scenes where they give great performances, and most of them are good to decent on the whole, they just have some bad scenes.

The problem is awkward dialogue and bad direction. The translation of the dialogue itself is fine, if a bit too literal, but it doesn't seem to have taken into account that this is a thing that has to come out of an actual human being's mouth.