Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Boten Anna posted:

You know, if I had the time/patience to figure it out, it'd be interesting to go back and see what Final Fantasies pass the Bechdel Test.
Pretty much all of them with an actual plot, but the Bechdel test isn't some sort of Feminist/Not Feminist Determination Machine, it's just a thing somebody made to point out a trend in media that nobody actually notices. Passing it or not passing it doesn't mean much on a case-by-case basis.

v: No it doesn't require that, because that'd be silly. There just has to be at least one conversation between two women about something other than a man.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Oct 5, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Well, Brahne at least leads into Kuja, who leads into Garland, who leads back into Kuja. Some of the connections are tenuous but there's still clearly a thread there, and Kuja is pretty much the villain from the moment he's introduced and it's made clear he's manipulating Brahne.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

I can, speaking anecdotally. I loving hate anime and all that grabagey doe-eye poo poo with all its sweatdrops, gratuitous child sexualization, et cetera.
You're right, this is literally all anime. Good poo poo The White Dragon.

EDIT: There are three types of JRPGs: the ones I don't like and the ones I like.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

FF9 literally has the main character you play grab a 15 year old's rear end without her consent
FF9 isn't anime, that's why Zidane and Steiner are literally directly based on Lupin and Zenigata from Lupin the 3rd. And why Zidane's got a monkey tail like Goku.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

PhilippAchtel posted:

Exactly. The Akihabara man-child crowd has turned anime into a disgusting collection of oversexualized children and shallow pretentious tropes. There was some truly great anime in the 80s and 90s, but the market has shifted, and anime that isn't just thinly-veiled boobs and moe or yet another introduction to 19th century German philosophy is very, very rare. This attitude has heavily infected JRPGs of the past decade or so, which is just too bad.
Actually I'd argue that anime in the 90s had way more weird sexual poo poo but okay.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Anime is literally just animation from Japan, though. Lumping it all together as poo poo for pedophiles is stupid.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Persona 4 is pretty heavily referential of Japanese myth. That said, there aren't that many feudal Japan themed RPGs, though there are plenty of games set in that era.

Not to mention like 95% of JRPGs have a Samurai party member, regardless of when they take place or whether or not it even fits the setting.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

voltron lion force posted:

Anime owns! There I said it :colbert:
This, but without even the possibility of irony.

Seriously though, why do people have to 'prove' that their opinions are right? You like FF9. Coo'. You don't like SMT or Star Ocean or whatever. Aight. You don't need to make mass accusations of pedophilia to allow yourself to have that opinion.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pesky Splinter posted:

It would not matter. SO3 killed me. I am already dead :zombie:

Oh, Rogue Galaxy is another one, if you don't mind a few obnoxious characters, a terribly cliche plot and some questionable design choices. It's good to waste a few hours on.
I liked the two goofy guys that went to get the protagonist at the start, the robot and the, what, mole guy? I have no idea why, but I liked them.

But yeah every other character in that game sucked. Except the guy who looked like Xiahou Dun from Dynasty Warriors, he was alright.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Not really. The jungle planet is kind of a low point, but it never really wows you in terms of gameplay. I liked the combat system,but it never really made me lean back and go 'holy poo poo this game owns.'

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I like the boat scene. :smith:

Then again, I also unironically love disney songs.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Vil posted:

Steal the gently caress out of everything. Repeatedly.
This is the only real advice. Your main character is a thief, so at least steal from every boss.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I think a good chunk of Final Fantasy games are more mature than Witcher 2, honestly.

Note, this is not a bad thing or a good thing. Maturity in and of itself means nothing. I've read, seen, and played things that were mature that were pretty terrible, and some of my favorite stories are pretty light-hearted at their core. Being a grown-rear end man doesn't mean you have to like nothing but gritty, serious stuff. Maturity doesn't mean being incredibly serious 24/7, and immaturity isn't solely the result of cracking a smile or having bright colors. Honestly, most of the more juveline-seeming moments in RPGs are the result of trying too hard to be mature and deep and meaningful.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Nov 13, 2012

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

To be fair, marketing for big stuff like this does take a lot of time, and marketing people can be very picky. It's not like they had the entire square-enix offices sitting in a single room doodling various logos.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

this article posted:

Secondly, there's...well, let's start by looking at Tifa and Rinoa. Final Fantasy VIII's Rinoa had her fans, but to put it bluntly, there is far less Rinoa hentai floating around cyberspace than there is of VII's buxom heroine. It is an established fact that you can gauge the populariy anime/video game character by the amount of people drawing them naked and posting them on the Internet, and its is unlikely that this discrepancy between Tifa and Rinoa smut escaped Square's attention. The natural solution was to fetishize Dagger in a similar vein as Tifa. But instead of giving Dagger a massive bust, they focused on her booty instead.

Godspeed, internet essay man. Godspeed.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

If this were the SNES days I'd say to look forward to a slightly edited copy of FF4. As it stands I have no idea what the gently caress.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

I just want Lightning to wear those shades at all times, and say a bunch of lame one-liners. That'd be enough to make it the best Final Fantasy in a long time. Maybe ever.
Only if they steal Wesker from MVC3's mechanic. A button that does nothing but take-off/put on your shades. It does nothing else and the shades have no effect on gameplay, but you still have an entire button for it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I actually like Vaan as a character. Like he's generic scrappy dude number 4, but at least he shows some emotional depth and maturity in places.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cao Ni Ma posted:

that there really isnt anything (or maybe very little) that could be considered actually evil.
Counterpoint: Luca Blight

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

It's depressing to realize we've been trapped in the FFXIII continuity for that long, and with no end in sight.
If only we had a pair of time traveling idiots to set us free.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

You're absolutely right.

It's time to call Bill and Ted.
I would totally play a Bill and Ted JRPG, I'm not even going to lie.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah really. It was fun and goofy and silly and I enjoyed it. I mean, having one of them calmly and silently reach over to put 20 bucks in the swear jar and start swearing up a storm because the game kept screwing them over was pretty hilarious.

It's not really self-importance or anything.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

TurnipFritter posted:

New Final Fantasy-related mystery site. It's probably that "All The Bravest" thing we saw trademarked a while back.

Why are there two Lockes and four Gaus?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

So long as there's more remixes of TWEWY songs I'm okay with that.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Oh boy, I hope I get Cloud! *MINWU!*

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Polite Tim posted:

If they spend less time with these games, porting FFIV to 100 billion consoles and making new game engines from scratch every five minutes we'd probably have versus XIII by now
I seriously doubt they pulled a single guy off Versus XIII to do this or any of the FF4 ports.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

CottonWolf posted:

Oh, really? It's more of a time management sim then? That could be interesting, almost Persona-esque. I'm sure there's a better analogy, but I can't think of it.

The first Pikmin?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Oh come on, it's pretty clearly just a random nod. It's not like FF6 is actually canonically destroyed. It's not like the Creator appeared out of your TV and destroyed your SNES and your copy of the game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

My favorite final fantasy song is Meaning of b- wait hold on

Seriously though, people dismiss as generic but I've always loved Grand Cross.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sC0cvwnG0Ik

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

Man, I was really disappointed by this, because the title says it's "extended" so I thought there'd be something more to it than the in-game track, but it's really just looped for 10 minutes :sigh:
There's tons of videos like that on youtube. I guess in case you wanna loop something without downloading an MP3? I honestly don't know.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Krad posted:

Thanks for the cross-dressing and burly men molestation, Toriyama. Really made VII for me as a kid! :thumbsup:
This, but without the implied sarcasm.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Last Emperor posted:

Speaking of non-FF RPGs do people generally hold favourable thoughts of DQ VIII? I've never played any of the series before and it's the only one I came to own after my uncle passed off all of his old PS2 games on to me since he sticks to PS3 now.
Dragon Quest 8 is one of my favorite JRPGs ever made. It's got old-school gameplay without the stuff that made old-school gameplay a [ain in the rear end, good music, and the game's actually legitimately funny. It helps that the voice acting is pretty good, too, if british as hell.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

It's been a bit since I played it, but I don't really remember DQ8 being grindy at all. Like before the very first boss you might wanna grind for, like, 5 or 10 minutes, but I always figured that was more of a self-referencing joke than an actual mechanic, and I never had to grind again at any point.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Happy Blue Cow posted:

Maybe I'm alone on this, but I enjoyed those "inner monologue chat boxes" that Squall had in FF8.

I mean, the things he was thinking were pretty redundant and brooding for the most part, but the actual idea and mechanic behind it, I found that to be pretty interesting. I'm honestly a little surprised that Square-Enix never bothered trying it again after FF8, since being able to hear the inner-thoughts of a pivotal character seems like an interesting way to add character development.
Neku had some internal monologue in TWEWY, though not nearly as much as Squall.

Actually Neku in general is basically Squall's character arc done competently.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

If I could Time Kompress I'd punch whatever translator or localizer thought Mortal Kombat style spelling would be possible to take seriously on any level.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I won't let anyone talk about XIV 1.0 in the past tense!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Anything that gives goofy characters beats is great. See: ATE in FF9, Skits in the Tales of series, etc etc.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The thing is, random battles in every other FF basically boiled down to the same thing, you just mashed X more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I basically agree and I really like Tactics.