Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
They've only made three games and you can play those as well as playing FF games? I didn't really like Lost Odyssey. the memories' stories were very very good, but the base story was super uninteresting, and the battles took way too long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
what FFXII did with Ivalice is much much better than what FFTA did with it. Then again, I did like FFTA so maybe I'm the wrong person to ask :v:

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
Wasn't FFTA just technically based on Ivalice? Like, are the events of FFTA... canon in the Ivaliceaverse? I always thought it was just them inhabiting a fantasy version of Ivalice (I mean, I guess Monteblanc is in FF12 and FFTA but that's pretty much it as far as references go)

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
Dust to Dust is probably my favorite Final Fantasy song, honestly.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

This Jacket Is Me posted:

I'll contrast that with the voiced songs from FF13-2. drat, the last thing I need is to be getting yelled at over a casio metal track.

That's only one song though! I don't count Crazy Chocobo because it's funny, but the metal song from X is worse. Most of the voiced stuff in 13-2 is pretty great (my favorite 13-2 track is probably the Oerba track)

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
It's your loss because XIII-2 is twice the game XIII is. Also if you're angry that it was only the work of a god that saved them from dying and it was a giant 'retcon'... well they touch on that plenty.

Also pretty sure they mention those other gods in the datalog in the first one, but I'm not sure.

edit; well they mention Lindzei and Etro in the analects, I can't remember if there was another god in 13-2.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

Level Slide posted:

So paradoxes were happening in Fabula Nova Crystallis before XIII-2 ran them straight through the ground and into space?

XIII's ending was a paradox, but I think that was it.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
See I know where you're coming from, I do! You don't have to play 13-2 if you don't want, but it does that message much better than 13 does. I hated 13 but I did really like 13-2 (probably 2nd favorite post SNES era after 12)

Besides, from what I understand (these are pretty big spoilers for 13-2) Etro changed the fates of the protagonists of 13, and that basically hosed her, the world and the protagonists of 13-2. 13-2 also ends with Sarah dying so...

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

Zonko_T.M. posted:

It would have been pretty rad if they had shown fake-ivalice to be extremely dangerous for the other kids there, have a few get seriously injured or even die(they get better), so Marche decides to end the fantasy because the other kids aren't having totally awesome adventures like he is.

But it did! Those bullies were totally zombies :colbert: but of course since they were bullies, they didn't count.

I honestly love FFTA because of how... arbitrary the plot is.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
7 was my first, but 12 and 13-2 are my favorites (12 beats 13-2, of course)

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

McDragon posted:

Yeah, the ending to XIII-2 was really good I thought, except for the to be continued thing it went for. Most of the story was stupid, but the ending was great.

Yeah, the story was largely pretty stupid (though I thought it was endearingly so most of the time) but the ending and the stuff they did with Noel's timeline was really well done, maybe because it reminded me a lot of Nier, with how dark it was, especially when you were mog clocking the invisible people and they all fell to the ground dead, it just struck me as a very Nier thing to do.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

If you think FFXIII was literally painful, FFXIII-2 isn't going to change your mind. It's almost identical except with a stupider plot, more poorly balanced combat and (relatively) less linearity.

Jesus, people act like FFXIII killed their puppy instead of "was overly linear and had a stupid plot." It's ridiculous.

I think the stupider plot is endearing, personally; maybe because they aren't always so self serious all the time.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
I at least thought that once you got to Academia, the plot definitely became less repetitive and more interesting, so maybe I blocked out the earlier parts.

There's still a lot more levity in 13-2, regardless of how many times they say Paradox. 13 still has better characters, but 13-2 was paced a lot better than 13 was I thought. Some parts of 13 were just huge drags (that loving airship), where 13-2 never had one of those super long, annoying areas.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
Could Lightning time travel? I honestly can't remember. Maybe since this game is supposed to be the last in the FF 13 series they'll have multiple endings or something this time.

Also making it Majora's Mask style kinda sounds annoying, if it is actually 13 days.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

Spermando posted:

I think you need to beat Caius within a certain time limit. Then you fight Bahamut, and after you beat him, Lightning willingly turns into a crystal for a stupid reason and wakes up hundreds of years later in a wasteland.

pretty sure she wakes up in A Dying World.

Also hope is awesome purely because of 13-2.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
If it only has one ending... why would I want to play it again?

Still the rest sounds cool (and the reason they ginned up for having everyone alive probably makes the most sense considering the ending of 13-2).

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

Momomo posted:

I like Mother 3 too, but I feel it went way too far with the tragedy. Pokey used to just be an rear end in a top hat that lived next door, now he's an evil overlord that has killed countless people. It's like finding out Gary Oak became Hitler.

Well, considering Pokey was already pretty evil at the point of the final boss of Earthbound, him being a super terrible dictator or whatever in Mother 3 made sense.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

Isn't there only like, two party members in XIII-2? Admittedly I know nothing about this Noel guy and I guess Serah was kinda cute in XIII, but I find it hard to believe they can support my interest all on their own.

They aren't great characters or anything, but neither are they terrible characters either.

I did not like 13 but I absolutely loved 13-2 (my favorite after 12, though I like both for different reasons obviously). The difference being that 13 was dumb and tried to act like it wasn't, 13-2 is much more aware of the silly parts of it's plot.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
I'd hate to speedrun XII, honestly, my favorite part about it is that you can really just take it on your own pace and do whatevs. On my current playthrough that I get to now and then I'm wrapping up as many hunts as I can before I get to Pharos.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
Hope ended up better than Snow in 13-2; instead of being stuck fighting giant flans, Hope turns out to be the supreme science leader for all time or whatever it was (I always thought it was real dumb for them to just let Hope run everything after he came out of the time thing, surely science has progressed far enough in 300 years that he wouldn't know everything).

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
I thought 13-2 had an interesting story, if not a very good one at least (this is probably because it was vaguely reminiscent of Nier to me).

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

Azure_Horizon posted:

I... I don't... Nier's story wasn't very good?

I merely meant that the stuff in 700af and the ending reminded me of Nier :v:. The story wasn't as good as Nier's was though, which was my point. There's a much clearer Nier influence in the music though.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
Hope was radical in 13-2, I want to see him again; and seeing Fang without Vanille wouldn't make sense.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
There was plenty of conclusion to 13-2, just not what most people wanted (not in terms of tone, but in terms of things concluded; it answered it's own story machinations, for the most part)

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
Personally I was done after 13 but I liked 13-2 enough to want to finish out the saga.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

With sequels, now. :negative:

I disliked 13 but I really did like 13-2, I thought it was great.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
I liked the ending after learning the stuff in FF13-2, just for the fact that for once, a god intervening fucks up everything.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
so is Luxerion just Detroit then?

Serious though, game sounds like it could be cool.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

Karthe posted:

I'm finally playing FFXIII-2 thanks to Black Friday. Overall I'm enjoying it, but I have a question about the combat - is there any reason to NOT use auto-battle? At first I thought I should manually select spells to discover enemy weaknesses, but I noticed that my ravager will automatically try out each type of element, then once the weaknesses are revealed, start using spells that the enemy is weak to. Aside from paradigm shifts to switch to sentinel for defense in boss fights, and the occasional pet switching and pet sync, most battles are just me mashing X to select auto-battle. I'm so used to RPG's requiring you to select each move individually, it feels like I'm playing this game "incorrectly".

I like to do it manually for synergists/saboteurs, and possibly medics (if they do the cura cura instead of cure cure cure cure cure), but not for ravager or commando.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
It keeps it but it is easier than 13 was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

I will fight to the death anyone who says FF9 doesn't have the overall best music in the series.

My favorite is 13-2's just because most of it is trying to be Nier's soundtrack and not quite reaching it, but even a not as great Nier knockoff song is better than what most FF's are.