Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Allarion posted:

That's basically Live a Live.

Oh yeah. Forgot about that game.

Zero_Tactility posted:

Three Hildibrand prequels.

I'll take this instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

Ohshit, Drakengard prequel trilogy, I'm calling it.

3's already a prequel.
I could see a Nier prequel though.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Nihilarian posted:

It sold pretty well and got high reviews. There are people in this thread saying they liked it, so it's not like there's even a goon consensus on it being total trash.

Plus, if they give it a remake, they'll probably use the IZJS version, and even some people who hate the base game like that version.

Yeah, I dislike vanilla XII more than anything in the XIII trilogy but the IZJS version redeemed the game for me.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

The only thing the GBA version added was a sprint button. The SNES patch adds that in anyway though.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I'm really surprised at how low the recommended specs for FF XIII is.
Still not getting it, hell no.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I'm waiting on the announcement that Type 0 HD will head to PC too, any minute now.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

All you do in every other Final Fantasy game is mash X though?
I mean, it's not exactly the pinnacle of gameplay but I don't know why people are taking issue with it now.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Justin_Brett posted:

Not really? A bunch of the older games had a first boss where if you mashed x you died.

Right, you selected from a menu and mashed X instead and later on you just used the same pattern over and over again to win.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

But most action RPGs I've played have you mash X to attack anyway, unless you want to use a spell or something and it seems casting spells uses a different button press anyway according to the gameplay.

I'm not sure why everyone is expecting it to play like something from Platinum games. My only real issue with what is shown is that the battles look much slower compared to other action RPGs.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I mean, even Kingdom Hearts was just about pressing X repeatedly while you positioned Sora around the place, while occasionally pressing triangle to do some context sensitive stuff. You never needed to time anything except for dodging attacks or if the enemy fired projectiles that you could swat back at them. Most of the strategy was by equipping Sora with the right skills for the situation before battle started.

That's what I've always expected XV to play like.
I did expect the animations to be much faster though, but animations can be tweaked to be more fluid.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Did people react this badly when the original trailers of XIII showed Lightning being able to move around the battle field, attack ARPG style and manipulate gravity only to find the final game was pressing X a whole bunch and occasionally switching paradigms?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Amppelix posted:

I just saw this interesting comparison between the Japanese and English version of Squall's dialogue in FFVIII (it's from August so it might have been already posted though)

http://fyeahffviii.tumblr.com/post/72672083380/squall-whatever-leonhart

It seems like the translation made Squall into even more of an rear end in a top hat than he already was for no good reason.

I'm fairly sure the Japanese version gave more insight into Ultimecia's motives and background too, through Edea at the speech she does in Galbadia in disk 1. In English, she just sounds like a generic crazy person who's doing it because she's evil.

Translations for Square games didn't really become good until around Final Fantasy 9, sadly and it was only because of the hell the translators went through for localizing Xenogears that it got changed.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Kulkasha posted:

What's this about Xenogears? Never heard anything odd about that translation before.

http://www.ffcompendium.com/h/interview.shtml

It's talked about here. After Xenogears, Square actually bothered to get editors and let the localization team work with the developers instead of just dumping it on their lap and saying "have fun".

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Leper Residue posted:

I've been playing through VIII over the past week, and am almost to the end of disc 3, just finishing up side poo poo, and I'm still not very sure what Ultimecia's motives are. What Lunar Tear has to do with anything. Why or how exactly Rinoa and Squall fell in love (it went from Squall going from "Whatever" to "I've gotta save her no matter what!").

The translation thing does make a little more sense as to why he has friends, cause he's a total asshat until the mid of disc three. Especially to Quistis, he is such a dick to her at the beginning of the game.

Basically in the future, it's suggested that Witches/Sorceresses are persecuted against by SeeD and Ultimecia is just some poor girl who snapped from it all and decides to defy fate by compressing time so she could live at any moment she chooses, with the power of all Witches/Sorceresses within her.

It's still dumb as hell but at least it provides some context for her actions.

As for the Lunar Tear, that's just a naturally occurring phenomenon isn't it? Lunatic Pandora just kind of speeds up the process and was used as a weapon against Trabia when Adel was running Esthar.

Squall and Rinoa's romance makes a little more sense in Japanese where he supposedly does always like her but is too meek to act on it but it's still not very well handled.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

One thing I noticed on my last playthrough of VIII is that Squall has a surprising amount of dialogue options when compared to other FF protagonists. The fact is, Squall is as much an rear end in a top hat as you want him to be. There's several instances when you can make him be nicer or warmer. The one that comes to mind is, I sent Rinoa to the Missile Base, so when she and Squall were reunited and she says she missed him, you have a choice of him replying with "I missed you too" "Why?" and something else. I obviously chose "I missed you too" because I'm a nice guy.

Squall is rude and blunt, especially at the beginning, but even Cloud was that way if you remember his interactions with Barret in the first reactor where he's like "planet is dying? Whatevs, give me my money." While the stick is still up their asses, especially Squall's, they do noticably mellow after a while, even if you wouldn't call them nice.

As for Ultimecia, I don't blame the translation for this. She was a bad character and a terrible villain and nothing could have saved her.

Yeah but in Cloud's case, he was just trying too hard to be what his childish mind thought was being a badass, unaware he came across as a complete tool instead.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Even as a little kid though, Squall was a moody little rear end in a top hat who shunned the other kids who were trying to play with him in favor of Ellone.

What I'm trying to say is that Squall never grew up, he's a total manchild.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

fronz posted:

I stand by Necron just being a callback to the n times it's happened before that

I still to this day don't know what the gently caress Necron is or what his deal is.
Like, he's the grim reaper and connected to the Iifa tree or something? I don't know.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Onmi posted:

At least the cast of FFXII actually achieved poo poo, either their own personal issues, or indeed actually making a difference in the world... and this is the game that's all ABOUT the guys that history never focuses on and follows because that's the theme of Ivalice games in general. Actually gonna bring up a different game series, you can indulge me for a moment since it happens all the time in this thread.

In Tales of Phantasia, the game starts off with you not succeeding until you get shot to the past, and then from there, you start succeeding, you set out to do things and it works, and it's not a secret "HAHA THE VILLAIN HAS BEATEN YOU" win, it's just a win. It's good.

Never, in video games, have "Protect the X" where the X is Crystals, Pillars, maidens, seals. Because in that case, you MUST lose so they can be destroyed to lead to the end game. Making the PC incompetent. I don't need a PC that always succeeds, but if I just spent 20 hours trying to save a seal, and then after I'm done it gets blown up... I feel like my 20 hours just got wasted, why should I care? In fact, if my mentality should be "It's got to happen so the end-game can happen" why should I care about anything outside of the end-game, my success has no value except to move the story and the story is pointless because I will always fail, unless the game is going to actually observe the failure affecting the protagonists, I shouldn't both paying any attention.

Yeah but Tales of Phantasia pulls a fast one on you in the very end where it's revealed Dhaos was just trying to save his own planet and was only a "villain" because the various humans and kingdoms you teamed up with to stop him were assholes who were destroying your planet.

It's a victory, but a hollow one that gives you the feeling that better communication would have avoided everything.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I've beaten FF XIII twice and Castlevania 2 Simon's Quest three times but I'd never, ever replay Mega Man X7. Or X6 for that matter.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Tenzarin posted:

Its like they got to that point in the game during development and went "gently caress it, just make them gokus, ship it. We really had no idea what we were doing.".

Dude, it was foreshadowed from the very first disc. Death is a thematic element of Final Fantasy 9 and it's constantly reinforced through the Black Mages, Kuja and then the dying world of Terra. Just because the story didn't go in the direction you expected it to doesn't mean it's bad.

Compared to the likes of Final Fantasy VIII and Final Fantasy XIII which were garbled messes, IX is surprisingly consistent and coherent.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Who'd be the Goku of Final Fantasy XII then? It sure isn't Vaan.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Widestancer posted:

This. As a breaker the amount if damage she can deal out is silly.

Funny thing is, she's statistically the weakest in the original version of XII to the point if everyone completed everything on the License Grid there'd be no point to ever using her. Another thing IZJS fixed.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

One of the first photoshops done but it still gets a laugh out of me.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Renoistic posted:

Actually it's Fang and Vanille saving everyone on Cocoon. Etro just turned everyone back to normal so we could have a happy ending which was undone in the sequel anyway. It was still stupid admittedly. "We aren't killing Oprhan / everyone on Cocoon because you told us to, but because WE DECIDED TO DO IT OUTSELVES. Which means we win, somehow."

I think the idea was that they thought Barthandelus was going to betray Orphan but when they get to Orphan's Cradle, they realize that every Cocoon Fal'Cie was in on Barthandelus' plan, at which point the party just threw up their hands and went "welp, may as well kill Orphan now".

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Endorph posted:

Eh, depends on the game. Totori had a bunch of fairly time sensitive events but I got the best ending in Escha and Logy on a standard start without too much trouble. Then again I had played a lot of Atelier by that point.

Either way, even at their worst they aren't strictly penalizing you for missing this one NPC at this one time or something. A lot of people seem to have some sort of phobia towards time limits as a game mechanic - multiple reviews critcized LR for it even though it was so easy to circumvent that it might as well have not even been a mechanic.

Yeah. By the time I finished Ayesha I still had like, a year and a half of ingame time left. Rorona had ridiculously strict time limits but I hear the remake lessened those restrictions considerably?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Leper Residue posted:

I had no idea the Atelier games had time limits either. Why are these a thing?

Because the plots usually revolve around them. They aren't too bad though, time only passes when gathering materials, creating items using alchemy and traveling on the world map, it's static in towns and dungeons otherwise.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Balthier wasn't blonde either.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

The XIII games got better with each installment I think.
Though XIII-2 fixed a lot of problems with XIII only to introduce completely new problems in the process which has been mentioned before on this page. LR was actually really fun, stupid story aside so it's not been a total wash.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Lightning Returns also had a really awesomely stupid final boss while Drakengard 3 had a plain stupid final boss that made me want to punch a hole through my TV.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Drakengard 3 wasn't that bad. It was fun in a very mindless way and had some great music.
But then again so was Nier and Nier had the better story so, it wins out still.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Barudak posted:

If you have access to the international version its identical to that with some mildly better graphics maybe and some very questionable music remixes. How much that's worth to you is up to you but don't go in thinking they like, added anything.

HD also comes with X-2 International which is impossible to play in English in any other way so, overall HD is better.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

It was about the only way to make Cyan actually useful too.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

I was kinda hoping we'd get Ultima Weapon's theme at some point for Curtain Call, but oh well. There's still a lot there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZZDnlAg3Pk&t=78s

Maybe a future patch will add in other Weapons for FF XIV. Omega is almost a given but they could add Emerald near Limsa Lominsa and Ruby near Ul'dah for the sake of nostalgia.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Mega64 posted:

I prefer the "Rinoa is dead" and "Squall is Ultimecia" theories myself.

Squall is Ultimecia makes so much sense, you don't even know.

Ultimecia talks about being persecuted, Squall viewed the world as hostile and everyone was persecuting him and he just wanted to be with Ellone and later, Rinoa. He's junctioned so much magic and GFs that he is basically Hyne, the creator of the sorceress myth, who passes all that power onto Sorceresses during Time Compression. Speaking of Time Compression, he aims to live in the moments that made him happiest for all eternity; being with Ellone and being with Rinoa.

Finally, he has Griever as a GF because he created Griever in the first place, it couldn't have come from anyone else but him.

See, crackpot theories that make more sense than the plot of FF VIII are easy to make!

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Pesky Splinter posted:

Ultimecia has no face. Squall has no face.
Coincidence!? I think not! :tinfoil:

Theory validated!

I never even considered that.
That's my explanation for Ultimecia now.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

D&D is really popular in Japan although they tend to stick with 2nd edition AD&D, 3rd, 3.5, 4th and 5th never really caught on there.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Firstborn posted:

So is that FFXIII trilogy ever coming out for PC?

Has anyone used any FFVII mods? I saw some "HD" mods that replaced their field sprite with their battle sprite, new music (the pc version uses midi files), and even like a hard-type. I might go back through it for the hard-type if it was more like one of those FFT mods that really switch things up and not just add a ton of HP/up phys. atk/def on every enemy. Maybe like new placement and stuff.
http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?board=35.0

The Steam PC version no longer uses midi files, that got patched with the PS1 soundtrack some time ago.

But yeah there are mods to clean up the menu, replace 3D models and alter the difficulty which require you to actually use specific materia setups or fail horribly and add new bosses into the game.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

What made Academia worse is that to 100% the game I'm fairly sure you need to revisit it at least once more to get something you couldn't get to the first time around, which means more encounters every step. I just don't get what the thought process was for that, it's a visually very beautiful area that's reminiscent of Blade Runner but you don't notice because you get into an encounter every second.

Totally ruined the game for me, before that the game was stupid yet fun.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

So I rewatched Spirits Within recently and while it's still a bad movie, I do find it a little funny that the main complaint at the time was that it's nothing like Final Fantasy and that it should have been a sequel to 7 which then led to the crappy EU of Final Fantasy 7 when thematically, Spirits Within is very similar to 7. Right down to the alien lifeform crashing onto the planet and seeking to steal the souls of all living lifeforms on the planet, which is itself depicted as a living being.

Hell it might even be the same planet but far in the future, since while FF 7's planet is called Gaia there are enough hints in the game including Sephiroth's Super Nova attack to say that Gaia is Earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Firstborn posted:

The best and funniest part of Spirits Within is how Square wanted Aki to be a "virtual actress", and re-use her assets for other movies and everybody was going to be totally okay with "and Aki as _____!"

loving hilarious.

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/07/08/us/movie-stars-fear-inroads-by-upstart-digital-actors.html
http://cjonline.com/stories/071501/art_finalfantasy.shtml
Aki Ross was designed by Square Pictures for the use in their debut film Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within. However the intention was for her to go further than that, with plans to add her in future films and media as a kind of "virtual actress".

The second best thing?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuFo63OqSO0

Yeah the animation really hasn't aged well to the point it got pretty creepy so I'm kind of glad Aki didn't appear in any other movies.