Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Wow, I just went into the Creature Creator tutorial in FFX-2, and around halfway through had already given up any hope of ever using this thing without extensive guide referencing. There's spots you get fiends from (just guess what you get from where, player!), four different traps (intuit which ones get you which fiends!), training fiends with items, fiendtales, learning abilities by eating attacks, fiend tournaments...

And that's not even getting into the basic problem of what fiends are even worth the trouble of raising. So basically, is this whole thing worth casually messing with (if your aim isn't to catch them all and do 100%)? It would be cool to get some of the nastier mons on my side, or some weird NPCs, but it seems like it would take a whole lot of effort to raise one that's actually worth using.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

No, it's aggro management and positioning management in the battle system.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Jesus Christ, confusion in FFX-2 makes you use random items out of your inventory! (random in this case meaning probably the most valuable thing you currently have) Just no! I reject this design choice! This is horrible! How can I hoard all the elixirs if the game's gonna make me "randomly" waste them?
This is hurting me in a very deep part of my soul. And this game moves super fast for an ATB system too, meaning you probably won't actually have time to both notice and cure the confusion before at least one action gets queued up.

Well, at least this is actually the first thing I honestly dislike about this game after about 8 hours of play, so maybe I can deal with my crippling item hoarding tendencies for the rest of the games' sake.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

mandatory lesbian posted:

i can't think of any items that i'd consider valuable enough to really care if they get used, considering your jobs do everything items do better

course, i kinda forget items exist in any game except FF5 cause of Mix, and FFX for the same reason

Look pal, this is not about whether those items had any use to begin with, this is about Square Enix personally reaching into my item hoard and removing something from it without my express permission to do so. You just don't do that! The inventory's supposed to be my safe space!

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I'm playing the FFVII retranslation. You know, this one:

It's actually not bad! I installed it because I thought hey, if I'm gonna replay this game might as well do some sort of thing to keep it a bit more fresh, but I'm not regretting it. To my surprise, the characters still sound like themselves, even if most of them lose a bit of flair in the transition. Even Barret, although he's lost the charming symbol swearing and now just swears actually, still uses the same sorts of turns of phrase as he used to and such. And Cait Sith (who is not replaced with any sort of original character) speaks with an extremely heavy scottish accent which is just perfectly absurd. And the actual reason for the retranslation's existence, making sense of some of the scenes completely destroyed by the original translation, is fulfilled nicely. It's pretty refreshing knowing what's going on in some of these messes of lines, and who was speaking in which text box.

Still, the translation is really silly with names. Really silly. 95% of them are "fixed" to be more """"accurate.""" They're probably the worst part, although you can optionally revert some of these with the installer. Like how about Professor Gast being named "Gusto" (that might be secretly amazing actually)? Or Zack renamed to "Zax" because that's a real name real humans have? Or "Leno" of the Turks. And honestly. Crime Hazard. Who looked a that and said it was OK?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Oh yeah, and I forgot (because I toggled this option instantly before it would drive me mad) but the patch by default also does stuff like calling phoenix downs "phoenix tails", megalixirs "last elixirs" and, wait for it, moogles "moguri" (I'm kind of shocked everything isn't just a romanized version of its japanese name tbh. It's only Moguri for some reason. Must be very important). Later english translations be damned!

Thankfully it is pretty customizable regarding all this nonsense so it's not really bad, just really funny that someone would actually want this.

Here, if you're bored, is a grand google doc with every single name change made along with notes on why some of them were made. It gets pretty silly sometimes https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1DUjmyW94zcYoX7gIW5yAT4giTPeNmCR4TCaHAiXOLlU

For instance, here's what they have to say about Zax:
"[Zax, maybe from old English ""seax"",
meaning ""knife"". It cannot be ""Zack""
because the kana has a ""su"" ending:
Zakkusu. Zack would be ""Zakku"".]"

Gee Mr. Translator, maybe it was because Square wasn't even thinking about what the names would cleanly romanize to?

E: Here's a good bit about Omnislash: "Lit. Super Ultimate War-God Supreme Slash [There's no chance I am using that hahaha]"

Amppelix fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Aug 13, 2017

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

This translation is the work of two people. So I think it's pretty likely that they were pulling in different directions and settled somewhere in the middle. Which is why some stuff is "accurate" to the point of absurdity and others actually flow well, sometimes even better than the original.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

CuddlyZombie posted:

So, which re-translation is this?

http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=14914.0

This one. It comes with a bunch of other mods too for convenience. If you're planning on replaying this game anyway I would actually recommend this whole package, even if the translation is not always good.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Don't let the most momentous news of the year pass you by: Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles (the first one) is getting remastered for ps4 and switch
https://twitter.com/FinalFantasy/status/1039106212145586176
I can't believe how long this took to happen but also yesss this game owns and now it has online

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I think it's pretty drat good, although I wouldn't really call it exciting. It's a very ponderous game, with some really good writing and worldbuilding.

Which, yes, does conflict more than a bit with it also being a somewhat gauntlet-like 4 player action rpg. Gonna need a pretty specific group of people if you want to appreciate the story and gameplay at the same time.

I just love everything about the game's aesthetics, and it's a passable single player experience, so the former carries my enjoyment even when not multiplaying.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

fridge corn posted:

Is it feasible to play with just two players?

Yeah, it's not too hard it anything, and two players can do all of the stuff you'd want to do. The only problem is that one of you will be carrying the chalice at all times. That mechanic really gets in the way with only two players, since you'll pretty much be putting it down and picking it up in every single fight. If you've got more players one can be dedicated to keeping the chalice more easily.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Unless you're an rear end in a top hat, you'll dedicate people to that job solely for the duration of a battle, which is what i meant.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

They're not going to do anything to it because it's clearly an intentional decision on their part to force players to strategize around having to carry around their own safe zone. You could put it down for a four-person assault during bosses, but then the boss could knock you all out of it for some big damage.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Actually I beat that game, single player, without every worrying about things like grinding (unless you count redoing some dungeons out of necessity as grinding) or optimized equipment

so maybe RNG wasn't the infuriating heart at all?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I would say that everything interesting in the game includes the story, the fantastical area designs, the music...

And does not include a stick that does more damage. It's clearly a flaw that you need to hellgrind to get them, but I think it's a pretty minor one all things considered. You can just ignore the fact that the game has higher level equipment, unless you happen to luck into one. It's not like the game has any optional challenge content to test your might against either.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

By the way the direct showed that FFCC will actually have some new areas in it, and also that the chalice carrying seems completely unchanged (they didn't call it out but from footage it looked like that)

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Gologle posted:

This video, by noted YouTuber Eyepatch Dog, explains the gripes with FFXV much better than these lamers on the SA forums:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8lvAq_yp_w
It is, in fact, what started the XV discussion this time around.

Although nobody probably watched it. I know I didn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Ah, yeah, that's exactly what happened.

I actually like watching incredibly long complaint videos about games I've already played and formed an opinion on, the only reason I didn't watch this one is because I haven't played XV and I do still plan to some day.