Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Golden Goat posted:

It always looked to me like Seifer just pointed his gunblade forward and Odin the ran straight into it.

Nah, Seifer just moved so fast your eyes couldn't see. That's how powerful he became.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

bloodychill posted:

FF13 being a retelling of Willow is the weirdest tho

What's Willow and how does it exactly compare to the massive trainwreck that was Final Fantasy Moms are Tough XIII?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

My OTP was Penelo and Larsa anyway...

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Anyone that has to make a living out of such a place would be quite street savvy and even sort of devious in getting people to buy their wares, especially something as "worthless" as flowers. You survive the best you can do in a place like that.

Of course that, between the no policing and the extreme need for escapism, those sorts of place are a drug dealer's heaven. Makes you think.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

Seriously though Tifa isn't very street smart is my point.

Well, yes, there's a whole game about it, you don't need to bring it up. :v:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Well, Toriyama's now in a position of power, so you may yet get your wish. Creep.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

I too want a Lightning cameo and Cloud to steal Marlene's panties and carry them throughout the entire game on this groundbreaking, Toriyama-directed remake.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

In Training posted:

What the hell.

Art

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

SE isn't known for being a well managed company. I didn't even know they owned Bubble Bobble -- I imagine they did nothing with it since Candy Crush is a thing, but nobody knows what Puzzle Bobble is anymore.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

What the-- What's the context behind this most glorious thing?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Renoistic posted:

I'm thinking of buying Type-0 of the S-E store, but it doesn't explain what they mean by "PC download". Do you get a file like with GOG or do you need to use some external service like with GMG?

It's a Steamworks game, it should be a Steam key. Got Life is Strange yesterday from the same store, Steam key.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Help Im Alive posted:

The weird thing is when people act like XIII is the worst game they've ever played and then decide they need to play XIII-2 for some reason

"But surely they got it right after a second try?"

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

ApplesandOranges posted:

it seems accurate

Of what? Pokemon evolution?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Mega64 posted:

I hope in FF15's end game you fight bosses from FF7-14 as they rain down from the moon.

Better.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Dang, I didn't watch it. Has it been uploaded somewhere?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Instant Grat posted:

imo you should check out the last paragraph in that screenshot

I did and I'm still confused. Seems a pretty clear message about autosaving on your Lightning Waifu videogame?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Saint Freak posted:

Hopefully Episode 2 will be on the 40th anniversary, etc.

Don't be a dick, it's obvious the second episode will be on the 25th anniversary.

Also, I'm annoyed nothing came out of the FFXII remaster. You can emulate the game to look pretty on a PC, but those low sampled voices... I wanted the remaster just to hear Fran's sexy accent without any crackling but alas.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

I didn't try Star Ocean 4, but wasn't there something about it that was much worse on the PS3 version to the point some people preferred dealing with the disc swapping of the X360?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

Not that I know of. I played the PS3 International version and it's largely agreed, upon the five people who like SO4, that it's the definitive version. Increased difficulty, some gameplay breaking stuff nerfs, Japanese audio track, and some other minor stuff.

Well then, I should look into getting that one at some point.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

You know what, I'm really glad I gave Type 0 a chance. All the bad things I had heard about it kind of made me not want to try it and, as I did, I saw just how drat rough it is -- very much a PSP game with a moderate budget -- that I nearly dropped it early on but I'm glad I stuck with it. This is like the first time in a decade I'm playing a game and thinking "this sure is Final Fantasy". I'm 80 hours in because I love doing all the side stuff just to find more lore trivia. I love lore and this game has so much of it. I like the battle system enough to play harder missions not just to see more of what's going on behind the scenes but because it's fun to slay enemies 15/20 levels above my dudes. And the music, goddamn, it's a such a good fit.

I don't think it will be anyone's favorite, but it's currently on my top 5 in the series and I now dream of an alternative reality where this game had a bigger budget to expand on the cast/setting and a better director in charge of the story. The latter is fairly great for what it is, but it's badly exposed and relies far too much on people replaying it at least twice.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

The Grimace posted:

That's... interesting. I just tried the game for the first time tonight and most things about it completely turned me off. I intend to play more of it in small bursts here and there, but I get the distinct feeling that, "this game was not made for me."

Then the game wasn't made for you. There's nothing wrong with that, because it's certainly not something with mainstream appeal. I played way too much of it and wasn't surprised to see online reactions were non-existent after release -- most people just wrote it off as a bad game(tm). And they are right because it's pretty bloody rough and if the sum of its parts doesn't hold you, don't expect anything in particular to do so because it's not there: it's not a particular brilliant game, the story is told in a really awkward messy way, and the characters are shown with very little development unless you actually go out of your way looking for subtle changes in their behavior. But the sum of its parts like I mentioned above really worked for me. This is Final Fantasy 8, Tactics, and an anime series named Utena all rolled into one.

The Grimace posted:

I was pretty curious about the game when it was never translated on PSP, but now that I finally see that it's definitely just more Fabula Nova Crystalis with the same silly plot hindrances. I don't know if I can go through that again

About that, it's actually way more coherent here somehow. Major *spoilers* for the game story below.

Here's the main plot: there's a world war going on. You are to believe it's the first one, your nation sends literal children into the mess of it. A group of these have in fact been trained since age 8 to 16 to be literal weapons of war, they have been involved in a bunch of shady/covert ops poo poo.

But as you keep digging around you end up realizing the world keeps producing a tremendous amount of those l'Cie demigod fellows (all wearing the sign of Pulse). In fact, they have been a constant throughout recorded history as the different four nations keep going at war with each other for millennia for the pettiest reasons. Yet, few know this because the crystals in charge of each nation make sure to wipe out the memories of the dead so most of the living barely understand the concept of a cemetery. Ain't that strange?

But you don't think much about it. You keep going through all the political motions of war (ceasefires, assassinations, propaganda, and betrayals) and some of that is the higher point of the story for me because I sure as hell dug that up in FFT and Tactics Ogre and I'll dig it here too. Suddenly though, something breaks: some of your characters are remembering things they shouldn't. One leaves your party and ends up turned into yet another demigod, the other though keeps having constant deja vu throughout the remainder of the game: she keeps saying that what everyone is doing has happened again and again. Uh.

And, eventually, your nation actually ends up winning the war instead of ending in another stalemate. They actually conquer the whole bloody world. It just so happens though that that was planned by two godly entities working for that fal'Cie bullshit from FFXIII (specifically Pulse) trying to open that Etro's Gate thing. When a nation conquers all other four, the crystals start the end of times: the l'Cie of each crystal fight each other until they are all dead, leaving only the two godly entities to decide the fate of the world. One says this time they have the Messiah and the Messiah (a person or a group of people) will open the Gate, the other proposes that by killing everyone it will cause a sudden influx of souls that will open the Gate. Yet none of them ever achieve this goal and end up with a completely dead world with nothing left to do but hitting the reset button that starts the whole process anew.

And it will just keep going and going until something forces one of those godly entities to stop it. Maybe this time it will be different?

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Jan 4, 2016

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Epi Lepi posted:

Wait, what? Maybe it's because I haven't watched Utena in a couple years but I don't see the relation from your description of Type-0's plot.

Here's the setting: a high school obsessed with a symbol has their students fight to become a savior who will change the world, but as it turns out, it's all a twisted game from two divine beings who, when not reaching their misguided end goal, restart the whole process over and over again. The one who finally stops it is the female of the pair out of love for the sacrifice offered at the end by the protagonist(s). Also, the protagonist(s) only do all they do throughout the story out of absolute devotion towards this divine being. Can you tell me if this is Type 0 or Utena?

Also, something something, the "incestuous" relationship of Qator and Aria :v:

But really to me the eternal cycle justified by a misguided goal, the divine beings toying with the entirety of a world, and the big sacrifice at the end to break said cycle is what I meant by them being similar. I also said Type 0 had shades of FF8 and FFT, but I didn't say either of those three things by itself is what makes Type 0.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

The Grimace posted:

Okay, you've lured me in with talk of Utena.

That's good, but be sort of careful there. While I said there were some thematically similarities don't expect much. The story is completely botched on how it's presented. While I'm gushing about this game, I am the first to list its many flaws, chief among them that the director has absolutely no experience how to expose a story at all. Chapter 8 is the single most important part in the whole thing and it's a complete mess in a mix of "we ran out of money!" and "if we leave it enigmatic people will like it more!"

I will try not to go too much into detail and spoiler mark it all but:

Ending the war and causing an imbalance between the crystals by having one of them control the others causes the end of times. This literally turns the sky red, the ocean black and the air possibly toxic. A dark temple emerges out of the ocean and a bunch of giant, immortal warriors come out of it to slay every living thing. This is an event that happens in every iteration of Orience and after it's over the world is reset to let it all happen again.

Class Zero arrive back at their home to find it nearly destroyed and most everyone dead, their last living l'Cie killed while trying to take down those immortal warriors, and the attacking Rursum sealed up in an area of the academy along with everyone who was in there. In this state of emergency, the consortium in a play for power tries to pin down this on Class Zero also revealing their wetworks past. Rem finally succumbs to her disease and goes into a coma. The divine being they call Mother abandons them, giving them no way to ressurect if they die in battle.

In spite of all of this, the 12 remaining members of Class Zero are charged with taking down the Rursum because their phantoma extracting skills are the only thing that can destroy them. It is however the first time they have a choice instead of blindly following orders.

Lady Celestia appears and, in spite of them having killed her son and destroyed her nation, offers to take them into the temple. She, much like her predecessor, is aware that the entire world is stuck in a cycle and maybe this time Class Zero will be able to break it, perhaps freeing them from those two divinities who keep treating an entire world as a misguided experiment for their master.

As they arrive at the temple, they come into clash with the person who has been the main villain throughout the whole game, Marshal Cid. Marshal Cid had been aware that the four crystals did nothing but cause a thousand years of wars between the nations and the blind religious obsession every nation had in protecting their crystal a side effect of their constant influence. By actually causing a coup d'état to control his nation, turn their crystal into a mere tool, and going on war to seize the other crystals he thinks himself a hero. And in a way he's right: the end goal is an everlasting peace.

In an ironic twist though the man who wants everyone to be free of the crystals' influences is possessed by one of the divinities in charge of them. He even tries to kill himself when he realizes what is happening.

In a pissing contest between the two divinities, each trying to prove their way to open Etro's Gate is the correct one, the one possessing Cid will judge Class Zero as to their ability to become Agito or not. Meanwhile the remaining l'Cie of each crystal are fighting to the death on the temple grounds, Rem having been turned into one when no one else on Class Zero accepted the crystal's offer.

This is the climax of a 40+ hour story and yet none of the above is explained or presented properly. It's maddening because the material in there is actually pretty drat good, but it's completly ruined by its botched execution.

Then again that is a Final Fantasy trademark at this point.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jan 5, 2016

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

It's just the FFXV trailer uncompressed. :ms:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsPfYXS9Yio

(Time keyframing not working for some reason, jump to 1:10)

Whichever game starts like this is the better game.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Frankenstein Dad posted:

I loved FFIX and I'm excited for it to be on PC, but I'm not sure I could handle the way too frequent, lengthy random encounters again. :I

Good thing you can disable them in this version and speed them up too.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/fashion/people/final-fantasy-character-lightning-on-starring-in-louis-vuitton-c/

An interview with Claire "Lightning" Farron on her modeling career.

Also, tons of photos:

Motomu Toriyama is the gift that never stops giving.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jan 13, 2016

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

"My clothes were nothing more than armor to stay alive; 'dressing up' was a concept I’ve never had. Perhaps that makes me an unseemly choice as ambassador. But this experience has opened my eyes. Fashion isn’t something you’re taught or given, it comes from your own taste and your own choices. It displays the essence of who you are to the people around you."
--Claire "Lightning" Farron in interview for the Telegraph

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

rough, unpolished, or obtuse

FFXIII described to a T.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Are there really no reviews or detailed impressions for FF Explorers anywhere?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

dasmause posted:

Motomu Toriyama

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBL8Zyp7n4I

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Momomo posted:

Eh, she seems believable enough as a 19 year old. What's weirder is that Snow is apparently supposed to be around that age too.

He certainly behaves like a 19 year old prick.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Sorry, prick is not the right word. Just that I thought "kid" would look weird next to "19 year old". Then again, probably not much really.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZCpFatkMLw

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

It's the same Pulse and the same Etro. It's just not the same world. Orience is literally a pocket universe created as an experiment by Pulse's servants to open Etro's Gate.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

zedprime posted:

I've got a good feeling FF15 is going to blow this thing wide open once and for all.

FF15 is just going to ignore all of it and put a boys band on a car trip. I thought you have been paying attention.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

The way kid me broke FF8 (aside converting tents to Curaga and have like 3000 HP as Lv 10 or whatever) was to refine a monster card that made Quistis learn Degenerator. It worked on every single non-boss enemy. Oh, Ruby Dragons? Degenerate. Garbage fliers? Degenerate. Soldiers? Degenerate. No discrimination here, just keep Quistis on her knees at all times (:quagmire:).

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Jan 22, 2016

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Some might say, the worst game.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Still not a single review for Explorers? I keep looking at all the sites I follow and nothing. It's really sounding drat fishy by now. Either S-E put a huge ban on reviews everywhere or everyone including obscure sites I follow that review every RPG ever are ignoring this one pretty badly. I don't know what's worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

But I wanna believe...!

Though that money would be better used to buy Trails of Cold Steel, which is a kickass JRPG that just came out.