Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

The most accurate portrayal of Cloud since the original game is in LittleBigPlanet 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I'd love to see remakes of FFV and VI on the 3DS or Vita, that look as good as X and XII.

I liked that FFIV: The Complete Collection gave you the option to use either the original music, or the remastered score, but they could go a little further, and include an accurate port of the original game, like Dracula X Chronicles did, and allow you to choose the difficulty. By now, FFIV has had four different difficulty settings, but each one has been limited to their own release.

I'm not a fan of the DS remakes because of the raised difficulty and unusual art style, but Dissidia has shown us that Amano's characters can work well in 3D without needing to simplify them. Once they port FFX to the PS3 and Vita, they could possibly use the engine for remakes like this.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Final Fantasy XIII remained challenging throughout the entire game, so when I picked up XIII-2 and accidentally overleveled, the game just became about trying to find what the hell I needed to do to progress, while frequently enemies would appear and I'd need to hold the X button until they went away.

When you break the game, you make it so easy that you're practically just playing to watch the cutscenes and enjoy the story. This does not improve the XIII-2 experience.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I like linear progression too, especially when it lets them craft a more polished game, but FFX and XIII took it to the extreme by literally making your character run down a narrow path for most of the game.

Previous games would have the story progress in a linear fashion, but you'd still have to navigate dungeons, discover where to go next, and have plenty of opportunities to learn about the world.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I would have appreciated Square writing characters like Sazh and Fang, if in the game immediately after they hadn't regressed to spunky hotheaded anime boy and demure lovestruck anime girl. In fact, finding even two words to describe XIII-2's characters is a struggle, considering I spent over 20 hours listening to them.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I love it when you encounter Caius in Blade Runner land, and it's later explained that it was a fake Caius you met. It's not often you see retconning within the same game.

He's also a pathetic Sephiroph tryhard, right down to his theme music. If he was the villain in XIII, it would have been a direct remake of VII with all the coherency and fun sucked out of it.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Zombies' Downfall posted:

I'm sticking with "they're sawing off the XIII and calling it FFXV or just Final Fantasy Versus or something and making it an early next-gen release, possibly a launch window killer app for Sony".

Yeah, there's no way they're going to throw away the millions of dollars that they've invested in the game. There's a lot of negative press surrounding it, so I'm guessing the next time it surfaces, they'll have an exact release date as well.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

At this point I'd have more hope of Versus XIII coming out if they did a Mega Man Legends 3 and got the fans to make most of the content for them. I mean, at least The Last Guardian did at one point have a release date, and was releasing information up until the point that they ran into some massive problem.

Pesky Splinter posted:

Off topic, tomorrow is Final Fantasy's 25th Anniversary.

Might as well have some music. And one of the best arrangements ever. :colbert:
The lead in to the Chaos Temple theme is rad as gently caress.

Even my least favourite FF games like II and VIII still have great music. The best part of playing any remake is getting to have an orchestral version of the soundtrack.

That Fucking Sned fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Dec 18, 2012

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

First screenshot of Lightning Returns is unveiled, showing off Lightning's new costume:

quote:

The outfit, designed by Tetsuya Nomura, is said to be a mixture of several styles. Similar to her outfit in FFXIII-2, her upper body is covered in a black armor, while the lower part features a body suit. Lightning is also wearing elements of a classic white mage’s outfit, including a white cape and red gloves. On her left arm is a shield that looks like something you might see in Mobile Suit Gundam. Her sword is also different, now a reddish and yellow color.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Mazed posted:

:allears: I would pay for a Final Fantasy that looked all like this.

It's how they used to look.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

It looks like Nomura took a bunch of Transformers toys apart and then stuck a Barbie head on top.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Oh hey, actual screenshots.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Thirteen real-time hours of outfit maintenance and paint observation.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Final Fantasy XIII actually had some semblance of a story and characters, although development hell didn't do it much favours.

XIII-2 is basically two anime stereotypes and their marketable mascot chasing a brooding anime man through timelong loading screens. Almost nothing learned in the first game is relevant, and anything that foreshadowed the sequel was hidden in the game's encyclopaedia. The only thing XIII-2 succeeded in doing was make the first game look better in comparison.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

The Jump Festa is running on the 22nd and 23rd, and the games Square Enix will show are:

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII (PS3, 360)
Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD ReMIX (PS3)
Dragon Quest VII (3DS)
Dragon Quest X (Wii, Wii U)
Gyrozetter (Arcade, 3DS)

If Versus XIII is not mentioned during the entire show, then you all have permission to call me a gullible twat for still looking forward to it.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Those faces :stonk:

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Hedera Helix posted:

Is Square Enix contractually obligated to mention Nomura's name at every available opportunity? It's the only plausible explanation, since I have a hard time believing that he's an actual selling point for the series. He isn't, is he? :ohdear:

He was on the title screen of Final Fantasy XIII, and all he did was design the main characters' faces.

Can you enter fights seamlessly in Lightning Returns? I mean, not like the old 'touch an enemy, get whisked off to battle arena'. More like Final Fantasy XII and Kingdom Hearts.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

For the star of an entire trilogy, Lightning hasn't had anything close to what you'd call character development. Does the game even explain how she keeps getting these jobs like Time Goddess, or Grim Reaper, when in the first game she was just a normal soldier?

I can imaging Square releasing Final Fantasy VII-2, where Cloud is the janitor of time, wearing a gimp suit, or X-3 where Wakka becomes president of Spira, and dressed in assless chaps.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I'm not usually one to nitpick a games' graphics, but after so many years you'd think Square Enix would have found a better way to do transparencies than that horrible dithering effect. It was especially noticeable on hair and eyelashes in closeups, as well as foliage like grass blades.

If they could also optimise it so that it's not chugging along at 20 fps like most of XIII-2 did, then that would be great as well.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Endorph posted:

I seriously doubt they pulled a single guy off Versus XIII to do this or any of the FF4 ports.

They did get the team to help work on FFXIV: A Realm Reborn. Hopefully when that's up and running we might actually see some progress again...

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

AgentJotun posted:

Im thinking about getting a PS Vita and like the idea of playing some of the ps1 FF games on it. Does anyone know if the graphics are upscaled, frame rates improved and widescreen supported?

Final Fantasy I, II and IV have full PSP remakes, which have higher resolution graphics, widescreen support and orchestrated soundtracks.

V and VI are ports of the PS1 games, and feature loading times and lower quality audio. I'd recommend the GBA version of V, and either the SNES or GBA version of VI.

VII, VIII and IX are completely unchanged from the PS1 versions, but the upscaling the Vita provides makes the pre-rendered backgrounds and FMVs look much better than on a TV. They are not in widescreen, though.

Final Fantasy Tactics has a PSP remake, but there are a lot of complaints about the slowdown caused by spells, which was intentionally added due to restrictions of the UMD drive. You can either play the PS1 version with the bad translation, or play the remake on a modded PSP and use a patch to remove the slowdown.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Mazed posted:

It is completely acceptable...no, wholeheartedly recommended to base any and all impressions of Final Fantasy VII's story on the contents of the three discs it shipped on.

No more, no less.

So you're telling me that Hojo didn't upload himself to the internet just before he died? (Dirge spoilers, not that anyone should care)

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Schwartzcough posted:

I know it's been asked a million times, but this thread is big: what versions would people recommend for FFs II, III, and IV?

I think IV DS is some sort of ramped-up difficulty version?, so that doesn't sound appealing. And was it III DS that had artificially inflated HP totals for monsters so everything turned into a slog?

II: GBA or PSP. Either way, it's a turd that Square Enix keeps trying to polish. Music's great, though.

III: NES. I'm serious, the DS remake made a NES RPG even more bullshit and unfair. You have access to your jobs as soon as you leave the first dungeon in the NES version, while the DS version gives bosses twice as many turns.

IV: For a first time player, go for the PSP version. The GBA version is good too, but the battle system is hosed unless you pick up the European version. For a veteran, the DS version (Made by the same people as FFIII DS) ramps up the difficulty and adds voice acted cutscenes.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

http://www.romhacking.net/?page=hacks&genre=&platform=&game=819&category=&perpage=20&title=&author=&hacksearch=Go

Here are all the available patches for Final Fantasy VI Advance. I think the translation is much better in the GBA version, but even for Woolsey die-hards there's a patch that restores his more memorable lines.

Make sure you at least use the colour and sound restoration patches, so all that you'd lose from the SNES version would be some of the vertical resolution.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

It gets worse. Especially in the final dungeon, where it's easy to get killed since the bosses now get twice as many attacks per turn.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Yes, it's exactly the same except it runs at a higher resolution. I think they may have taken out the Moogle mail thing, that required you to send messages to other people with the game in order to unlock the Onion Knight class, but I'm not certain.

if you can, play the NES version with a translation patch.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Aureon posted:

3mil copies isn't half bad for a sequel and a jrpg in this era, tbh.

Just imagine what would happen if they actually released a good Final Fantasy game, on a system that matters.

I'm pretty sure a game like Type-0 would be appreciated when the most recent Final Fantasy game have been poo poo like XIII-2 and All The Bravest.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Azure_Horizon posted:

That was not a universally applauded game.

as for Versus XIII being part of the FNC mythology, you can see a sculpture of Etro in the nightclub Noctis is in in the trailer. The gods still play a role in the Versus world, no one's sure what that is yet though.

Oh, that's cool, which trailer was this in? I don't remember ever seeing what she looked like in XIII-2.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Krad posted:

Here is a list of universally applauded games (extending beyond Final Fantasy for the sake of argument):

Ocarina of Time

Ocarina of Time is the Star Wars to Majora's Mask's Empire Strikes Back. They're both my favourite, for slightly different reasons.

The CDi games are the prequel trilogy, although that's about as far as I can stretch this analogy.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Aureon posted:

My dream combat system for XV is KH's, but with settable gambits for the non-controllable characters. So, i basically want the "action" version of FF XII. I wouldn't shed a tear if parrying wasn't in, though.

This is exactly what Versus is. A refined version of Kingdom Hearts, where you can swap between your four characters on the fly and use their different weapons and abilities. One even has a gun, and controls like a third-person shooter, letting you target specific weaknesses or environmental hazards. The main character can also throw his sword, then teleport to the enemy it hit, which sounds really fun to play with.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Krad posted:

You guys should take this with many, many grains of salt, but the latest rumor really is that Versus, along with The Last Guardian, switched development to the PS4 a while ago and that's why they couldn't say anything about them, which... makes sense, I guess? Didn't both games go dark around the same year? Either way, we'll know for sure tomorrow.

Sony probably doesn't want anyone to mention what is in development for the PS4 until today's unveiling, which is why all the latest news for Versus and The Last Guardian have been some variant of "Yes, we're still working on it, please be patient for more news". This also suggests that Versus is still PlayStation exclusive, because there are some multiplatform next-gen games like Watch Dogs which haven't been kept as quiet.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

It makes you inexplicably popular with people who've only seen you for about five minutes.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

satchbag posted:

Thanks so much for putting together such a detailed post! Regarding your Kingdom Hearts section:

Was Kingdom Hearts 3 officially announced for the next-gen fleet of systems, or was that an educated guess? I'm very excited right now.

Kingdom Hearts 3 is going to begin development once Final Fantasy Vesus XIII is done.

Expect it on the PS5.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

XIII-2's improvements to combat combined with XIII's difficulty would be a very fun game to play. I also wish XIII-2 had re-used Gran Pulse, because when I played XIII, I was so desperate to get it over with that I just ran to the objective marker, and powered through the difficult enemies.

I loved that there were enemies roaming everywhere, and you could see those giant turtles from miles away. Much better than the semi-random battle system from 2.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Elec posted:

-What are the best versions of 2 and 3? I'm hoping deep down it's the PSP versions.

The best version of 2 is the PSP one. Each re-release tried to make it more balanced and enjoyable, but I still don't like it very much. The way you improve your characters is simply by using their weapons and spells, you don't gain experience and levels the normal way. This would be a very freeform method of character development, if the best way of increasing your health and defence wasn't hitting yourself over the head with your own weapon.

3 has only had one remake, which was then ported to mobile phones and the PSP. It's awful, I don't like the chibi art style, the personalities it gives to the characters are dull and uninteresting, and the difficulty is much higher than it should be. Because the DS could only handle 3 enemies at a time, as opposed to 9 on the NES, they are buffed significantly. The bosses are all given two turns each round, which makes the final dungeon a complete slog, because every death will force you to retry from the beginning.

Basically, play the translated NES version instead.

Elec posted:

-How 'easy' are 8 and 9? 7 I have played once before so I kind of know what to expect, but I'm definitely a more casual 'experience the story relatively pain-free' kind of gamer. 8's system seems daunting, though apparently there are ways to break it and have tried to search for the 'easiest' one but come across a lot of different ideas.

8 is only easy if you understand the vastly different levelling system. Instead of killing enemies and levelling up, you want to absorb magic spells, and equip them to your stats. Enemies scale at a faster rate than you, so you want to gain as few levels as possible. Each character can be given a Guardian Force, which is a summon which also determines which stats can be boosted with magic, so you want to level those up instead.

Elec posted:

Anyway, if I ever actually complete all of these, I am actually kind of excited to try 13. I didn't care about it at release because I thought I was "over" Final Fantasy but I feel like I just got sucked back in hard.

It has a fun battle system, if you can get past the point where they stop withholding abilities because you haven't had the tutorial for them yet, and are still stuck with two-character parties. Because of the strictly linear design, the difficulty curve is very balanced, so you're always being pushed to find new tactics and use every ability at your disposal.

Beautiful visuals, good voice acting (E: except Vanille), terrible story.

That Fucking Sned fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Feb 26, 2013

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

The 1 in 5 people who liked FF8 thought Squall was a totally cool and deep character.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Someone mixed up Cloud and Squall's scripts in Kingdom Hearts II.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

victrix posted:

Ironically I went in to 13 expecting to tolerate it at best and came out enjoying it on the other end. 13-2 was the opposite experience.

Pretty much the same here. The thing was, all the good things about XIII-2 were dropped over the course of the game. I don't remember ever getting any dialogue choices in the second half, and there was no reason to capture and upgrade monsters when ones you catch in the first area are good enough to carry you through the game.

The only reason why I'm looking forward to Lightning Returns is because it steals ideas from Majora's Mask.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

Is there anywhere I can go that will have any information about he FFX HD release? It's my favorite RPG (FF9 is my favorite FF) and I'm about to get a new PS3. I can't wait to track down all the Al Bhed Primers and dodge a loving retarded amount of lightning bolts.

http://www.novacrystallis.com/2013/02/rumor-final-fantasy-x-hd-to-include-ffx-2-release-in-june/

I've heard that it's Japanese release date is in June, and that it will include X-2 as well. Take this with a massive pinch of salt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

victrix posted:

I've been cruising through Crisis Core as my portable adjunct to the console games.

Fun fact: Sticking to the walls of an area will pretty much guarantee that you won't face any encounters. Also, don't do any of the side missions since the game's difficulty curve assumes you didn't bother with them. Also, hard mode will kick your balls.

Final Fantasy Versus XIII would have been a blend of Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts' gameplay. Basically a Devil May Cry RPG. It would have been amazing to see something new about it at that PlayStation conference, but SE just showed an old tech demo, then told us to piss off until E3.