Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
The girl in the FF15 trailer gives me some real uncanny valley vibes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I figure this is the best thread to ask, but I'm playing Theatrhythm: FF Curtain Call. Love the game and the idea. What's the best "strategy" to take with the game? I'm trying to unlock, level up and just generally go forward with the game as much as possible. For battle stages, I try to main high strength & magic people like Cloud, Cecil, and Squall, or Terra & Rydia if I'm going all female to get the extra points, and use high agility people like Tidus, Zidane or Locke for field stages. I'll throw in a character from the song series too if I got them.

Any other tips? This game owns.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Rei_ posted:

I just finished up Vector and I have Terra back in my party and i'm like... not sure who I should roll with right now. I've finally mastered Sabin's moves on the Vita DPad so he's NEVER LEAVING AGAIN, and for the rest I'm thinking Cyan, Locke and Setzer

Setzer is probably the weakest character since he doesn't have any notable qualities and end - game I leave him out.

Just rock the Figaro brothers, and note that at the end of the game you will need to have all your characters balanced for the final dungeon (but that's not a concern where you're at right now). Cyan is okay but waiting for bushido is lame compared to Edgar using tools immediately.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

victrix posted:

You take that back right now :mad:

He has cards and dice

Setzer has the coolest attacks of anyone (cards, dice, darts, and his slots are pretty kickin' rad) but his stats compared to anyone aside from Mog and Gogo kinda blow. But I guess he makes for a good "canvas" in that if you level him up correctly, you can turn him into any kind of character you want.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Rei_ posted:

What characters should I focus on levelling a bit so they're not kinda lovely when I need to use them

Honestly, for the first part of the game, use whoever you want. If there's one person I would consider leveling up a bit, it would be Shadow for the very short period you have him at Thamasa (mainly you want to teach him some magic) since he becomes a required character at some point. Oh, and level Celes too before the floating continent, since you will have to solo her for a bit afterward.

But yeah, FFVI isn't hard. When you get all characters and decide to grind for levels, just make sure they're equipped with espers that give stat gains, because levels themselves will not increase your stats. Also, while it seems like strength is his game, up Sabin's magic because his best blitzes use magic as the multiplier.

The White Dragon posted:

It's also not a bad idea to keep him in anyway because if you don't pump him up now, he'll be a dead weight weakling when you're forced to use him later.

You only have to use him for Daryl's Tomb and whichever dungeon you decide to take on to get the next character and then you can dump him for whoever.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Honestly, the only hard part of VI is the optional dungeons, but if you sperg out on leveling and max out the necessary stats of each character then that's not too bad either.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Harrow posted:

I apparently didn't understand how equipment worked when I played, so I just equipped everyone with the gear that sounded like it looked the coolest. I mean, poo poo, I was like eight years old when that game came out and had already played FF4 (though I never beat it). I should've known better by then.

Still finished the game, though!

I almost quit on the first Final Fantasy as a 6-year old on NES because I couldn't beat any enemies. I bought gear for everyone like the players guide said! Oh, I'm supposed to EQUIP the gear?

My mom swears I never would have learned to read if I didn't have the Final Fantasy players guide as a motivator.

Sakurazuka posted:

The same way I knew anything back then, read it in a magazine.

I got the Final Fantasy VI (Well, 3 at the time...) Nintendo Power players guide when I bought the game for $30 and man I was set.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Xavier434 posted:

I remember playing FF IV and I never died once until I fought those 3 sister's right before you go in to fight Golbez. I was so shocked by the failure that I started grinding XP like crazy in some forest. When I say grind, I mean that I put in hours almost every day for over a month because I thought that the sisters were really hard. I had thousands of HP and was insanely over leveled when I tried it again. Yet, Tellah still only had 90 MP which I thought was pretty funny.

Well Tellah only having 90 MP was kind of a plot point because Meteo costs 99 MP and it he couldn't physically use it, and has to sacrifice his body to use it once.

edit: the optional dungeons in FFVI can be cheesed if you have enough patience to run through Kefka's Tower and steal the lightbringer / illumina from the final battle. You can do that as many times as you want.

seiferguy fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Mar 19, 2015

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Harlock posted:

Earthbound guide was only good for the scratch and sniff stickers. Also I had a Pokemon Red/Blue guide that was pretty great.

My Final Fantasy VI guide is.. not great.

Here's your problem, no Nintendo seal of quality :haw:

edit: I remember one of Nintendo Power's offer if I resubscribed to them was a choice of 2 players guides. I picked this one and Super Metroid. Nintendo Power owned at giving out free stuff.

seiferguy fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Mar 19, 2015

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
What's the "easiest" mode to play Curtain Call on? I've been using the stylus but apparently that's a bad way to play?

Schwartzcough posted:

Probably Edgar, Cyan, or Shadow. Sadly, Sabin will always kind of suck in the coliseum- he's got too many blitzes that either a) kill him, or b) only heal allies, and so are useless in the coliseum. Plus, he really benefits from a boosted magic stat, so it'd be pretty criminal to not give him any magic.

I'm not sure if it got fixed in the remake, but using Terra in the coliseum was terrible. She would trance then just sit and not do anything for a really long time. She was probably bugged (which wouldn't be surprising considering how horribly buggy the game was).

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

I never played XI in any capacity (man I was almost about to spring for the PS2 edition too), but this may actually be an interesting way to get people to play the game since it will probably be a F2P model.

And wow, they're finally shutting down XI for PS2 and 360 at the end of the year :psyduck:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Completely random but I was out at karaoke last night with some co-workers and having a Curtain Call high, I decided to do a quick search, and lo and behold, the karaoke machine had Eyes on Me.

... Yeah, I sang it.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
So uh, what's the trick to getting decent at ultimate songs on Theatrythm: Curtain Call? I'm acing expert songs with perfect combos and getting SS and SSS scores, but that step up to ultimate is killing me. I'm assuming just straight up practice but man my eyes must be getting old cause it's hard to read the direction in which way I'm supposed to swipe.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

ApplesandOranges posted:

In addition to whatever else people said, just start on the easier songs - most FMS songs are fairly forgiving. FFVIII has the toughest all-around songs, though there are some easy ones in there, like Fisherman's Horizon.

Honestly though it's all about practice and having a good day. I've gone from scraping past 8 million on one song and then coming back another day and getting SSS rank on it.

Sounds good. I'll start there. Is there a "tier-list" for song difficulties? I wish it was just like DDR and gave a song-rating difficulty.

Hand cramping also seems to be the bane of me :v:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Man, I forgot about all the drat minigames in FFX. I did them all and unlocked everyone's final weapons and breaks. Except Lulu's, gently caress that I wasn't going to dodge lightning 200 times.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

I'm hyped. 2nd time seeing this. Looking forward to XIV music.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

TheHeadSage posted:

How much XIV music was there? They've been using some images from Heavensward in promo material, but I thought they'd just do the usual music and just continue to ignore the MMOs.

Dragonsong and Answers were played. Susan Calloway was there and sung them (she also sung Eyes on Me too). Ronfaure from 11 was played too.

Whoa that's a big efb. I'll just edit this and show the playlist they had:

FF7: Opening / bombing mission
FF victory theme medley
FF14: Dragonsong
FF3 remake: opening
FF13: Blinded by Light
FF15: Apocalypsis Noctis
FF6: Phantom Forest
FF9: Festival of the Hunt
FF8: Eyes on Me
FF series chocobo medley
FF8: Man With The Machine Gun
FF10: Hymn of the Fayth / Zanarkand
FF7: Cosmo Canyon
FF11: Ronfaure
FF8: Fisherman's Horizon
FF9: Not Alone
FF14: Answers
FF series main theme medley

Encore: One Winged Angel

Only one repeat I can recall from when I saw it in 2009, which was man with the machine gun.

I think my favorite was the bombing mission, because while I'm not big on FF7 music, it sounds soo much better when a studio orchestra does it and really brings it out. They're really focusing on the ps1 era here though.

seiferguy fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Mar 27, 2017

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Help Im Alive posted:

I love the battle themes in XV but I can't think of any other songs since they give you the soundtracks of like the entire series for driving/walking/chocoboing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54DGq51cEVQ

Might be my favorite FF battle music.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Best FF music will never be remixed by Distant Worlds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdV_bzJgRxE

The best part of this song is Powerman 5000 losing his poo poo over it.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Hell yeah, tier time:

S tier:
6, 9, 14

A tier:
10, 7, 4, 3

B tier:
12, 8, 5, 15

C tier:
11, 1, 2, 13

FF6 wins because it's probably the most diverse game of the series. Kefka is the best villain because he succeeds in destroying the world. 9 goes back to the series roots and has some of the most memorable fights. 14 is special because after being completely terrible, the game gets shut down and on top of that, they use lore to explain that Bahamut got summoned and screwed the planet over, so you get sent into the future afterward when the game relaunches. It sets up for one of the best raid experiences.

The White Dragon posted:

final fantasy has been trying to turn me gay since ff10 and it finally succeeded

FF7 has a literal gay sex scene (albeit it's technically optional), and you're saying the gay conversion started at 10?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

NikkolasKing posted:

What if we were to rank soundtrack quality?

I'm curious to see if the games on the bottom tiers of the "overall quality" lists would now be on top of the OST Quality lists.

Though it's entirely their fault, I can't think of a way the NES games aren't ranked at the bottom of the list. But, I'll take a stab at the main series:

14 - The Primal music alone does it, plus Answers & Dragonsong
7 - It's cliche, but One Winged Angel is very good. Cosmo Canyon is underrated.
6 - Dancing Mad and the Opera. Oh, and Battle to the Death.
8 - Eyes on Me is funny now, but it was revolutionary at the time. Plus Man with the Machine gun
9 - Best battle music, black mage village is probably the best town-specific music. Melodies of Life isn't quite Eyes on Me though.
5 - I'm not a fan overall of 5's track, but it gave us Battle on the Big Bridge which is one of the best FF songs.
10 - Zanarkand is excellent.
11 - Admittedly not played 11 much, but listening to the music in 15 is good.
1 - Created the FF theme and other staples that were repeated / remixexd many times.
15 - Excellent battle music, but nothing else sticks out to me. Props to Florence & The Machine for Stand By Me though.
4 - Overall solid songs, but nothing sticks out as excellent, except maybe the Red Wings theme, or the 4 fiends music.
13 - I've not played enough of 13 to give a solid opinion.
12 - I just thought to myself "what's a good song from 12?" and nothing immediately came to mind.
3 - Good overworld music, but some of the songs get grating.
2 - See above, but overworld music isn't great either.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Really, a better discussion would be to categorize the types of music:

Best Overworld Music: FF5's merged worlds theme
Best Battle Music: FF15
Best Generic Boss Music: FF4
Best Special Boss music : Battle On the Big Bridge from FF5, Battle to the Death from FF6 is a near second
Best Final Boss Music: FF7
Best Town Music: FF8 Balamb Garden, Black Mage Village is 2nd place
Best Dungeon Music: Phantom Forest / Cave in the Veldt from FF6
Best Airship Music: Hilda Garde from FF9 (but most airship music is bad, tbh)
Best Feature Song (aka the one with vocals): Answers from FF14
Best Game Over Music: FF1
Best Character Theme Song: Gau from FF6
Best Ending Music: FF6
Best Chocobo Song: FF4's Black Chocobo music

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Actually wait this is the best chocobo song:

https://youtu.be/HkOA_HAVoqU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

COOL CORN posted:

What all is there for PS4 that I need to get other than XIV and XV? Is WoFF good?

I started playing WoFF and it's good. It's FF + Pokemon. It's an easy game and can probably be broken many ways if you do your setups right. Lots of cameos to go through too.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I never did get to play XII IZJS, but enjoyed the base game once I got around to it, but don't remember too many parts to the game besides grinding for the Excalibur through some futuristic looking area (which, I might add, was an awful idea), and hiding behind a rock and casting reflect / thundaga on myself to kill a hunt.

I never did get around to beating the superboss in that game, but I just remember looking at the requirements and said "hell no" because I wasn't going to spend that much time on it.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Alxprit posted:

So what are the various differences between all the versions of FF2 out there?

NES version has an easily exploitable way to power level early on, but had all the issues of being an NES game. The GBA version fixes that, but also fixes a host of issues like losing stats if you didn't "use them enough." Also, the Soul of Rebirth addition is really good. The PSP version just tightens up the graphics some more, and maybe adds another extra boss (I haven't played it).

If you can, you could play the GBA version on emulator pretty easily and use a fast forward button to help power up and get gil.

edit: I will say even with all the bells and whistles the GBA version adds, you still can't make the worst FF game of the series a great game.

seiferguy fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Apr 4, 2017

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Controversial opinion: the best doggo in Final Fantasy is Umbra. Sure, Shadow and Angelo are the only puppers that help out in battle, but can you get some time-traveling paw from them? Didn't think so.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
The first time I played FF6 (well, 3...) on SNES, my brother and I had 2 saves. His save file got the inventory bug. I'm not sure how he triggered it, but it must have been the vanish / sketch trick. His inventory was filled with Illuminas, Paladin Shields and Atma Weapons. I never got mine to do that :saddowns: But there was a time in Kefka's tower that the game bugged out during a random encounter. The encounter suddenly restarted, and a new party jumped in, which had General Leo in it. Then it reset immediately after and the game broke to where I had to do a hard reset.

I bet the majority of kids saying that it was totally possible to get General Leo in your party were telling the truth, it's just that the game bugged out in a unique way for them.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I had no issues with stealing once I had Zidane learn bandit, which increases his chances of stealing. It comes from stealing from the Sealion in the Ice Cave. If you miss it, you can find the weapon in Treno, I think.

Also, regarding battle music: the Breath of Fire series had several different regular battle themes depending on where you were in the game, which was a good way to do it.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Once in a playthrough of FF6, I decided to use a turbo button on the Lethe river after switching Banon's health at the top and walked away at the loop. When I came back, my characters were at level 60. Having Terra know Firaga, Arise, and Holy in the World of Balance was cool, but the fact that all of my characters were so stat-depressed made for a really sad playthrough.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I think collectively the only games fans can agree on were truly bad were Dirge of Cerebus and All the Bravest.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I attempted FF2 through an NES ROM several times but couldn't get through it. When I played it on GBA I was able to. They fixed a decent amount of math and problems (oh you haven't used a spell in awhile? Lose some INT points then!). I think they also fixed the weapon exploit though, which meant you could level weapon proficiency super quickly.

For all its flaws, it was ambitious in story telling and gameplay. I think of all the remakes, the Soul of Rebirth extra quest / dungeon using the characters that died remains my favorite addition to a remake.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
If you really want to micromanage your characters in 6, you can get some insane stats if you keep their levels low. Basically just have them prioritize whatever stat they utilize most. Have Edgar and Cyan prioritize strength, Sabin, Strago, Setzer, Gau and Relm prioritize magic (bum rush scales off of magic, oddly enough), and you can mold your other characters in any way. You can have Terra, Locke, Shadow or Celes be strength based, or magic based depending on how you feel. Basically get them to where their basic attack does 9999 then start leveling them up with Bahamut so they get the HP bonus too.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Evil Fluffy posted:

Genji Glove/offering.

A character with high HP and the Atma weapon+offering is enough too since they'll hit for 9999 with every swing. Between using hp-boosting espers and/or a muscle belt as your 2nd accessory it's not too hard to pull off.

You're only allowed 2 relics per character? :confused:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Barudak posted:

Well hey they made up for it in FFXV by making blind incurable.

Still does literally nothing to detriment your team!

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I always thought it was weird that Tidus was a renowned Blitzball player but fought with a sword, whereas Wakka is a washed up Blitzball player that plays for the Spira equivalent of the Cleveland Browns fights with a Blitzball.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
When I was in junior high, a friend said there was a way to save Aeris that didn't require the use of the gameshark. He also said there was a secret scene where if you bred enough chocobos there would be a scene where Cloud wakes up in the barn and stares at the birds doing it (knowing the game, the birds were probably brother and sister). That seemed like a bigger deal than finding General Leo.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Kotaku just ran a story about the fan translation of FF5 that came out in the late 90s: http://kotaku.com/how-three-kids-beat-the-odds-and-translated-final-fanta-1794628286

Really cool story. I remember playing it on my old iMac, and wondering why such a good game never made it to the states.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Oxxidation posted:

I still remember that Breath of Fire II fan translation a while back that filled it with "witty" banty and tons of raunchy innuendo, and everyone including me side-eyed it for looking like a Working Designs wannabe until someone looked up the original script and saw that no, Breath of Fire II was basically Seinfeld and Dick Jokes: The RPG.

The initial translation of BoF 2 was awful:

Even 8 year old me knew that it was garbage when I attempted playing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
FF4 DS got rid of one of the cool things from the GBA version, which was that you could swap your party around once you returned from the moon for the first time. Who doesn't want to beat Zeromus with a party of Edward, Yang, Cecil, Cid and Kain?