Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

C-Euro posted:

To start us off- I've heard it mention in a few places that oftentimes one's favorite Final Fantasy is the first one they ever played. How many of you are guilty of this? FF6 was the first one I played and it remains one of my favorite games of all time, so I've fallen into that trap.
FF1 was the first I played when I was really little, but I don't think I grasped most of it back then. I did rent FF4 a lot as a child, but never really got very far. It wasn't until FF6 that I really started to enjoy the series and like it so much back in the day. I remember the moment when I finally beat the Floating Continent (a task that eluded me for such a long time) and I thought I had won the game.. then found out there was a World of Ruin.

:aaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

SE finished in the black for the last fiscal year thanks to Deus Ex and FFX13-2, so get ready for FF13-3. FF15 probably won't come out until the next console generation and is probably starting development now or already has been in development.

FF13-3 will probably be the swan song to the current generation of consoles.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

If you haven't played FF13-2 yet and want to get in on the fun. Gamefly has it for $14.99, an absolute rock bottom price. Free shipping too!

PS3/360

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Mak0rz posted:

Her Amano design is classy as all hell though:

I know most of his designs look the same, but Zidane/Garnet's are dead ringers for Locke/Celes. Interesting that their roles sort of match up as well. Until like the third act when aliens did it.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

ManSedan posted:

It's amazing what a simple shirt will do for someones design.

Take off the tiny jacket and I think it's 100% better. Kill all tiny jackets.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Is there a long delay in signing up and being recognized? I signed up sometime early yesterday and never got a confirmation.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Polite Tim posted:

Remind me, can a PS3 slim play PSOne games or not?
Yeah it can.

Probably the easiest battle I'll have all game.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Is Berserker really that bad? I just got it to go with my Black Mage.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Ragequit posted:

Here is an updated version of the site all thanks to Gibbed! http://gib.bo.lt/finalfantasyviipc
The fallout is going to be hilarious when the PC version has achievements when the Playstation version doesn't.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Evil Eagle posted:

It's like I'm actually playing FFI right now. I kind of wish someone would make a permanent fiestabot, because I'm having a lot of fun playing the game like this.
You could just make a random number function in a spreadsheet and do it yourself.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Alright, I'm going to be playing through FFIX again. Is there a good guide on what items are missable? I only care about equipment, not so much cards/key items/other junk.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Mill Village posted:

It depends if you want the Excalibur II or not. You could follow this guide for that, or just use this one instead.
Yeah, that's not so much a big deal. I was planning on playing casually and taking my time. I guess that other guide is probably best. Thanks.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Anybody have any FFV tips on Archeoavis? Doing the Fiesta, my party right now is only Beastmaster / Black Mage / Berserker. It kind of sucks having the creature's magic resistance change so much, so I thought 2x Berserkers (with Death Sickles) would be best for the battle. I keep dying before I can do enough damage.

I can try and guess with black magic with my other two party members, but I sometimes end up healing.

edit: Beat it. Captured two monsters in the dungeon with 1000 needles to whittle away the HP while I played the resistance guessing game.

Harlock fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jul 18, 2012

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I finished the After Years on PSP over the weekend and I really enjoyed it. There's a ton of content and characters to play as. It just makes me realize how much I want an updated version of FFVI already. The sprite work and graphics in the PSP version of FFIV is awesome.

They could even do an episodic thing again as a midquel between the WoR and the WoB.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Mega64 posted:

Maybe a prequel for the War of the Magi could work, but I'd rather Square-Enix try making an actual original game rather than continuing to coast on past games.
I have less faith in them developing a new game than just building on the bones of their catalog.

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

I think the midquel idea was kinda neat, I'd like to play an episodic FFVI where each chapter starts with a different character waking up after the catastrophe, and the episode ends when they get picked up by the main party, or other convenient stopping point.
This was basically what I was hinting at, especially with the year or so gap that happens between the world changing. There could be some interesting things that happen to the characters. It's a way to create more content without adding on to the finale which in my opinion was pretty resolute.

Harlock fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jul 24, 2012

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Boten Anna posted:

I love IX to death, and I remember after kind of hating VIII I wasn't too excited for IX and nobody even really seemed to know that a new Final Fantasy was coming out. Whereas I had gotten VIII on launch day, IX I was like "oh poo poo that's out" like a week after release.
This mirrors my experience sort of. I remember anticipating FFVIII/having it on pre-order and going to go pick it up.

When FFIX rolled around, I don't think I picked it up until several months after it came out because I don't remember any hype around it, or even knowing it was coming out when it did.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

If you can't get the PSP version of FFIV, then go for the DS one. It's in 3D and with voice acting, so the presentation is good. However, they changed a bit of the battle system with augments/skills and such, but it's still better than playing the original.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

That only happens after you unlock the 4th class, right? You just have to make sure you don't have more than 1 of whatever classes you unlocked and the other classes go unused until you fill your party back up.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Dr Pepper posted:

Blue Mage is the best Final Fantasy class.
I want a whole game focused around Blue Magic as the battle mechanic. Make it so you can only remember so many enemy attacks or something.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Make sure you learn JP + as a support skill early on before you graduate characters to newer classes. It's a pretty invaluable skill in the early game.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

It's pretty disappointing that for the 25th anniversary they're making a sequel of an average sequel to a luke-warm game.

I hope they have other things to announce.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I still don't understand that design, or his in game model.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Wonder how much Lightning's going to scowl now that Serah's dead.
We'll see how long that lasts.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Apparently someone floated a question about FFX HD at the 25th anniversary event and was met with 'no comment.'

It's never going to come out :(

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Zidane's steal rate vs bosses is really annoying before you get Master Thief.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Yeah, trying to steal the Mythril Sword was driving me nuts, but you get it really really soon with Steiner and co. so it isn't that big of an advantage.

There's a forest outside Treno that's perfect for grinding. Mandragoras that use a weak blizzard spell and a special enemy skill that only does damage that's the difference between max HP and current HP. You can most likely kill them in two hits from Steiner and Marcus. When they die, they give about 1500 gil and are easy as anything to farm.

I had enough money to get all the special items off the auction house and to buy multiples of stuff you need for synthesis later.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Yeah, that's actually pretty easy to identify them.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Pesky Splinter posted:

[e]: Yeah, it's easy to know where they're from, but Amano really has a thing for blondes :v:
I hear you on that. It's odd though, because he does more art sometimes that fleshes out the characters instead of having the same silhouettes.

That Tidus piece was one I was going to point to. He also does a nice Beatrix.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

What I'm noticing on my newest playthrough is that spells like Shell/Protect last painfully short amount of times. Casting Mighty Guard with Quina and it seems like the effect is over by her next turn, same goes for Reis Wind. Having the abilities as support and "Auto-_____" works a lot better.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

FFVI has pretty much the closest thing to a perfect game soundtrack that I can think of. All of the songs are pretty great at setting the scene and evoking the right emotions. There doesn't really seem to be one stinker among them.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I wish I could embed Kefka laugh on this page.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Are there any hacks/patches/etc for FFVI worth using in a new playthrough?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

To me, FFIV has a bunch of cool little moments/scenes which really stand out versus the bland narrative as a whole and that's what makes it memorable.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Vil posted:

The only WoB-pertinent thing that comes to mind is that one of the GBA additions is a one-time underwater fight in the WoR. This means you can get all of Mog's dances without recruiting him in the WoB (so long as you bring him for that fight later on, anyway). Normally, doing so means you'd miss out on the water dance - forget the name - because there are no WoR locations where you can fight underwater.

Whether this is of any significance to you, is another matter entirely.
Apparently you can get Water Rondo by also riding the Lethe River if you don't feel like going through the underwater trench.

To the guy playing FFVI, you should get Water Rondo, because Mog's dances are the best.

Has anyone ever done a gimmick playthrough of Mog/Gau/Umaro/Gogo (using Rage or Dance)? The totally automated battle group.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I wish they would stop using that doll art style.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I wish Square wasn't hard up for cash and didn't have to resort to poor mobile ports.

And squander tons of money on FF13 1-3.

Or any decisions they've made since the PS2 era.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Fingers McLongDong posted:

You don't have to hit diagonals for the blitz attacks. For the circle one you can hit RRDDLLUU and it will always come out.
Laughing over here if you don't think it's just going to be menu driven.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Al Baron posted:

3D rendered towns on the world map, apparently.

Also holy crap a main quest helper. Hope you can turn that off.
Ridiculously ugly.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

They put more work into an FF13 retrospective than the FFVI IOS port.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

A group of freedom fighters attempt to take down a power hungry and corrupt Empire while a young girl discovers what it means to fall in love until their world is shattered and they need to save it from a demigod.