Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Housh
Jul 9, 2001

If the game is slated to come out in Japan in December, how long do you think it will take until we see it in North America? Like how long was the wait for Yakuza 4 in the US after the Japanese release?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I hope the HD collection comes out soon in the US to tie people over until 5 comes out. I have only played 1 on PS2 and skipped to 4. I'll get to play 1, 2, and 3 while waiting for 5 :D

Make it so, Sega. Make it so

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Jesus! I can't believe how much replay value is in Yakuza 4. I still have a bunch of substories left on Saejima and Kiryu until I face Amon. I think once I finish Amon that's gonna be enough Yakuza for a while. Can't wait until 5

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Akiyama is my favorite character from Yakuza 4. I'm glad he is back. The ending scared the crap out of me when he got shot.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Samurai Sanders posted:

Looks like Kiryu's back in his old leisure suit.

Also it looks like exactly the same model as in the last two games.

mikeycp posted:

Are those pictures of the Taikos in the UFO catcher real, or from the game?
I honestly can't tell.

When I first saw the screenshot I honestly thought someone photoshopped Kiryu into a real photograph.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Also, I can't believe there isn't a substory where you are approached by two mormon guys or Nigerians trying to sell you Hip Hop clothes.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I want to see Kiryu VS Hard Gay in Yakuza 5.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Samurai Sanders posted:

Hard Gay had a lifespan of like...three weeks in Japan. Somewhat longer outside.

From 2004-2006 Hard Gay was big and had a segment on a TBS variety show that I would watch when I was living there. I'm not sure if he is popular now but he would fit well in the game with all the homoerotic cross dressing snack bar poo poo (not to mention Curry man and that dude dressed as a Kappa in 4) and I'm sure the game's demographic would remember and appreciate his appearance.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

You know what would be awesome? If the Japanese copy of Yakuza 5 came with English subtitles. I would drop $100 in a flash.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Watching this photo op is so awkward and awesome.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

What's in the swag box?? I still got my Yakuza 1 fan from TGS 2006. Looks like they stepped up their game.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Here are the trailers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRcr5Ya9J0E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2RZE4Rawb8

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Yechezkel posted:

If you want one right now, Gamestop is selling them. They are all gold, not half gold half black.
I have always wished the 2 black controllers that came with my PS3 would break so I can warrant buying coloured ones. Maybe I need to find a friend who has anger management issues and invite her over to play Dead Souls.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I just finished the demo. The fighting felt really satisfying in the new engine. Grinding a dude's face on cobble stones was invigorating.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I really can't wait until the English localization of Yakuza 5 and I regret abandoning my Japanese studies. I wish they would release the HD 1 & 2 here ASAP to tie me over.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I played 1 back in the day then played 4 somewhat recently. I spent a whole evening watching all the backstory videos that came with 4 to catch up on the story before starting the game (you also get a trophy for watching all the vids). I felt like I had a great experience without missing anything but I still regret not playing 3 since I enjoyed 4 so much. I think you will be fine.

Every time someone posts in this thread my heart skips hoping it is news of the US release of 5.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I'm disturbed that it has less than 2k likes.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Since a buddy gave me a PS2 I decided to pick up Yakuza 1 & 2. I only briefly played the first one in Japanese and I platted 4 (I watched through all the videos). Since 5 wont come out here anytime soon I'm gonna play through 1-3. Let's not give up hope...

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

It begins!! I'm gonna marathon 1-3 then probably end up picking up Dead Souls.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I finished 4 recently and played the Japanese version of 1 briefly when it came out. I heard 2 is a real gem.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Gutcruncher posted:

2 has some amazing stuff involving tigers! You should really grab it asap.

Got it already but I gotta play through 1 first. OMG I can't believe this game has English dub. Intro video and Kiryu is dropping mad F-bombs. This is going to be hilarious. Can't wait until my component cables come in the mail though. PS2 isn't looking so hot on my HDTV.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I dunno what folks are talking about. I'm 4 hours in the first Yakuza game and I'm having a blast busting people's faces in. The strip club assassin was hilarious. DIE LIKE A MANNN!!

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Just finished Yakuza 1 and it made me appreciate the length and scope of 4. I'm gonna take a few days off before I start 2 cause I hope my PS2 component cables come in the mail next week.

It was interesting playing that rail shooting sequence. It really reminded me of Binary Domain.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

precision posted:

It'd be funny if Yakuza 5 wins and that prompts SEGA to say "Actually we've been localizing it for a while now, we just didn't feel like announcing it yet".
My only hope is Sega announcing it at TGS come September.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I'm 2 hours in Yakuza 2 for the first time and boy what a huge production jump from Y1. Also, that baby at the beginning is Tanimura, right? I kinda regret playing Yakuza 4 before all the other ones now. I might play the story plus of 4 once I finish Y3 then move on to...gasp....Dead Souls.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I guess that is good cause I haven't spoiled too much for myself. Yakuza 3 and 4 share the exact same engine, right? I'm really excited to get to 3 and see how it compares to 4 since I assume it is more like the first two and sticks to Kiryu's story.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Really? I thought Binary Domain was using their new engine that they also used in Y5. I thought the demo for 5 felt less clunky than 4 but maybe that was the pretty graphics playing tricks on me.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Honestly the only thing that ever bothered me was the loading time between fights and roaming. I guess if you played a lot of JRPGs with random battles you would be more used to that and it wouldn't cause a disconnect.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I'm nearing the end of Yakuza 2 and I'm getting scared that I'll be out of Yakuza soon. I just have Y3 left...how bad was Dead Souls? I think I might as well pick it up since I'm in this deep already. $20 new sound right?

Kenzan! looks amazing specially after learning about the Tojo past in Y2. The PSP brawler Shinshō looks really cool too which I never heard of until recently. Has anyone played it?

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I played Yakuza 4 first and now am going through all the old ones. I'm having a great time and I'm glad I played Yakuza 4 first to ease me into the series. Pretty much the same sequence of events happen in every game. The only thing they did different with the formula in 4 was have new characters that did the sequences instead of just Kiryu. Going back I didn't find Yakuza 1 to play that clunky. It wasn't like playing Assassin's Creed 1 after playing through 2. Also the first two games seem very short compared to 4 so you can fly through them if you were to revisit.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Yeah I agree. I had trouble navigating Kamurocho when I started Yakuza 4 and was super frustrated by the map but now playing 1 & 2 I just know all the streets and where everything is. It's a really awesome series.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

See if you can hold your breath until the end of September in case they announce the HD remakes at Tokyo Game Show. A friend gave me their PS2 and I'm bored as poo poo this summer so I picked up 1&2. I got them from eBay used $30 for both shipped. I just sent a best offer to the guy who was asking $40.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I'm pretty sure it's the same poo poo. I have the retail North American copy and the code slip says: Bonus dlc featuring unlockable costumes for the characters, new game modes "endless survival tag" "battle king" and "speed king."

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I just finished Yakuza 2 and I think I enjoyed it more than 4. I really hope we get the HD versions cause I would love to have an excuse to play it again. I'm gonna take a short break before I start 3.

I got Dead Souls in the mail and was looking at the back of the box when I noticed it actually supports 1080P. Does 5 run in full 1080 too?

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Finished Y3. I think it was my least favourite of the series but I still have Dead Souls to go. I'm actually really curious to see what Dead Souls is like after marathoning the series. I hope it's all comedic relief.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Ok so I finished part 1 in dead souls and goddamn is the camera and aiming a nightmare. It's pure torture as the cutscenes and story are great. Even though it's been super easy playing on normal so far I am thinking of putting down to Easy so I can fly through it. I don't get it...the shooting in Binary Domain was fine. How did they botch this?

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

The zombies are fine. The bosses are what make me stop and take long breaks from the game because they are lame bullet sponges and boring as hell to fight. But I have to admit Daigo dressed in drag was pretty hilarious. Moments like that make it almost worth it.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

If Y5 English localization isn't announced at TGS I'm gonna import it and bug you guys for help unless there are good English guides out there already.

As for Dead Souls...I am going nuts trying to beat the spider thing at the batting cage with Majima.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I'll be happy just watching someone play through ISHIN. I want to watch the TGS trailer over and over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

This is the official thread of disappointment.

• Locked thread