Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I decided to pick up the digital copy of DD: Dark Arisen today and I've been having a lot of trouble with doing so. It was actually difficult to download it; since my original disc copy had become "DD: Dark Arisen" according to xbox, I couldn't download it from the marketplace through the console. It wanted me to play the game rather than buy it. So I ended up buying it on the xbox site instead and downloading it that way. I pushed my character through the rest of whatever NG iteration he was on while I waited for the download to complete. But when the download completed, I got an error about my disc being unreadable when I tried to play it. I note now that I have two games labeled "DD: Dark Arisen", with the same achievement points and everything, but obviously different games. I've gone and deleted both games from my hard-drive and I'm redownloading the digital copy.

Hopefully, when I can get the new game to actually work, I'll be able to transfer my save properly. I noticed in the Storage Menu when I went to delete my game that the save also had the DD: Dark Arisen moniker, and also that this was the only place where the base game was properly labeled as "Dragon's Dogma".

What the gently caress, Capcom.

Rubellavator fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Aug 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Make your Arisen into a child also and all your silly moral problems will go away.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

gently caress Griffins

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I don't love Flying into Free, but I would take it back in a heartbeat over the grating poo poo they replaced it with. I also hate the "normal battle" music that plays when you encounter a group of goblins or something in the regular game.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

SHISHKABOB posted:

Are the skills that I can get dependent on vocation rank, level, or both?

Vocation rank. Level is only used as a restriction for the advanced/hybrid vocations (you have to be at least level 10), and certain end-game equipment.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

The game has great mechanics but everything else feels pretty unfinished. It feels like they wanted an open-world experience but the world isn't large enough, and it lacks the polish to really work as a more focused story based game.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

You always have to rest after returning a pawn.

Boy is it a pain in the rear end if you're using alt accounts and you forget to rest after returning the pawn.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

paco650 posted:

Once in BBI 2.0 my own pawn and a buddy's lvl. 200 sorc had been scythed before heading into Tower of Treasons Repaid (the long, vertical room with the poison river right before the room with Vanilla Ice), leaving me, a Magick Archer, and another friend's fresh alt Strider pawn who was tagging along soaking up RC and enemy knowledge. As you might know, the Tower is filled with skeleton brutes and succubi to harass you through the entire descent but more importantly: this is the other place a Metal Golem spawns in the game, and you absolutely NEED to have some kind of ranged, physical weapon in order to break the medallions and do any sort of damage to the golem. The pawn, being a baby, is only useful for screaming despair and being lasered to death and will not shoot a goddamned thing. I can't reach half of the medallions with my sweet Framae Blades.

So, 15 minutes of desperate jumping and hiding later, I get the idea to use dragonspit to break the medallions and. by god, IT WORKS. Or it would've worked if this wasn't the very first time I ever used dragonspit and I hadn't missed a bunch, leaving just ONE LAST medallion safe and snug near a pile of rocks. So, while the golem is busy sodomizing my only friend, I make a mad dash behind him to grab an explosive barrel and I very-gingerly nudge it into position and start praying. Then I shoot it with an explosive rivet, damaging that loving medallion to right around half health. I make for another barrel but I get stomped on and my precious barrel becomes dust. I grab literally the last barrel and run for my life. I make it, place it with the delicacy of a mother laying her swaddled newborn down to sleep, and shoot the poo poo out of it, finally shattering the medallion and ending the golem's life.

I don't remember what happened after that except I was laughing in real life and we just barely pulled our asses out of the fire. Luckily the next room has a rift stone very early on, but I'll be damned if I didn't think it was The End.

"Attack the amulets!"
"Physical attacks and spells are useless!"

I tried carrying my strider/ranger pawn and placing them directly in front of one of the floating amulets before, after running back and forth in place for a minute, she went right back down to climb on the metal golem. I've never had trouble with the metal golem fight in the foggy woods though.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Nahxela posted:

I think someone else mentioned that Shield Sage might be their name for Mystic Knight? Not sure how true that is.

That was actually my first thought too, but then I remembered that on the pawn community site they actually just wrote Mystic Knight in katakana: ミスティック ナイト. Even on the "english" portal. I'm thinking it will be something like a mystic knight without the sword.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Sofia and Selene are really hard to fit in the timeline for the fact that the Dragonforged is a thousand years old and in all that time nobody has killed Grigori, yet somehow Selene has Sofia's heart and not aged in a millennia.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Yeah I'll be pretty annoyed now if this doesn't get a western release.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

40 is a pretty low for BBI. I don't think I could do it at all.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Gamefaqs has threads for tracking the Ur-dragon, or at least it did back when I cared enough to farm it.

Getting an Ur-dragon kill is mostly about stacking damage perks and periapts and using a holy weapon.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

The kind of armor/weapon you get from purifying equipment in BBI depends on the type of your class and your pawn's class. If you save before you purify and end up with something you already have, you can re-load and change your class and your pawn's class to get something different. Basically, fighter/warrior get you swords/shields, strider/ranger will get you bows/daggers, and magic will you get you staves and magic bows. Hybrid classes are weird and I don't remember the rules for what you get as them.

Other than that, it's pretty much random.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Thumbtacks posted:

So if I get rid of my other pawns and change my pawn to a sorc i'm guaranteed magic weapons? That's handy.

other pawns don't work into the equation, just your own.

Thumbtacks posted:

hi more dumb questions

i was checking the wiki and noticed some weapons are rewarded for killing the online ur-dragon, but that you don't have to provide the killing blow.

...how exactly does that work? You hit him a bit and when he finally dies (weeks later) you just get the equipment?

yup, you just need to do damage and survive for 10 minutes. the next time you visit him after he dies there's a pile of loot for you.

Rubellavator fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Jun 18, 2015

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I keep reading page after page of that just for the canned pawn dialogue from the game.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Hah, I caught some of your stream the other day. Didn't know you were a goon. Thanks for the info dump.

Really hoping Capcom brings this over now.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I do love how regardless of who your beloved is, they play out Aelinore's animations during that cutscene.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Pawns are awesome and I played this game on and off for an extra month or two just to teach my pawn to be more awesome.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I didn't think to look for a goon thread when I was actively playing this game. I had an almost maxed out bestiary and 2 alternate accounts because nobody would hire my pawns.

And I'm still baffled at the idea of a PC release because while I really enjoy the game I don't think it's a very good one, and I feel like few people would really be able to overlook the flaws of the game and enjoy the very few aspects of the game that keep me coming back every few months. But I'd be very happy if the PC release gets love and people actually play it and hire pawns.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Blacktoll posted:

What does this game lack in terms of an action rpg?

The game feels pretty unfinished and I thought that was obvious to everyone. Especially when it comes to odd moments in the main plot where you do things like walk straight out of the Duke's prison. Mechanically the game is great, there just isn't enough content and the difficulty isn't paced very well either. I feel like you reach a point far to early where there's basically no danger, and that means there's much less reason to make full use of your skills other than personal amusement.

BBI fixed a lot of what I'm complaining about, but new people aren't going to start there.

Mostly I just feel like unless you really fall in love with the mechanics and the pawn system, you're not going to want to play the game. I tried to get two of my buddies to play it but they both quit halfway through calling it a generic hack-and-slash. I need new buddies

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I've had my pawn do this in the exact same spot.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Yeah, the Secret of Metamorphosis, let's you change every visual aspect of your pawn permanently. It's a nice thing.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Captain Novolin posted:

also the parts of the plot that are really cool are literally all shoved in at the very end

Doesn't really get much cooler than A giant dragon swooping in and literally eating the subplot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Definitely tons of framerate issues on 360. I felt like I was taking years off my 360's life every time I used a sigil or a riccochet.

• Locked thread