Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
I finally played my old copy of 2 and boy are those touch controls garbage.

If I primarily care about the mysteries and can take a pass on the world-building, should I skip straight to V3? Or is there stuff in the side content or 3 that's either essential or has interesting mystery content?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Finished V3. Based on my immediate post-game enthusiasm level I think I liked it more than 1 but not as much as 2?

I played with keyboard and mouse; I'd heard bad things but it actually felt okay? Way better than touch controls in 2 on the Vita. It's obviously a game designed for a controller before all else but the token KB+M support wasn't offensively bad.

Whole game spoilers follow, naturally.

I'm sure everyone says this but let's get it out of the way immediately: Kaede was a cool protagonist; I would have liked her to have stuck around longer. Shuichi was fine by the end - and obviously the character called "Shuichi" voiced by Megumi Hayashibara was always going to be the protagonist in this Detective Conan fangame - but it's still a little disappointing.

I didn't really like the lying mechanic. It never felt nearly as clear what the game was asking for in those sections, but at the same time it didn't feel like they did enough with it to justify the mechanic. The mandatory lies - apart from the very first and last ones - felt pointless and sometimes extremely dumb. The back routes didn't feel like they made enough of a difference: For example it would have been neat if taking the "magic is real" route in chapter 2 let you skip the irrelevant part where you have to explain Himiko's escape trick, but it didn't. I was sure for a long time that they were setting things up for a late-game moment where Kokichi or the mastermind revealed Shuichi's past lies to drive a wedge between him and the others, but it never happened and the whole idea was left dangling.

Characters were good. I liked or came to like most of them and the few I didn't like were mostly just dull rather than actively annoying. By the start of chapter 4 I liked everyone who was still alive which helped keep the back half of the game from dragging.

The final chapter "DR is fiction" twist was pretty obviously telegraphed, and its execution was rather uneven - the opening movie replay should really have been skippable, doubly so since if you die at the wrong time you have to repeat it - but on balance I liked the ending. One part I wasn't expecting was for them to go the route of "the V3 characters are also considered fictional by this world" mostly because then it doesn't make sense that Tsugumi couldn't cosplay as Kaede, but they made it work and turned it into a resolution that didn't feel like it was cribbing from the previous games.

There were a couple of loose ends for me? I'm not sure if I just missed the answers to them or whether they're answered in supplementary material that I probably won't read:

What was the meaning of the "until only two players remain" rule? Rantaro's video implies that there was a specific, succinct reason for it which would be relevant to the players but I don't remember the final trial explaining it. What would have happened to Shuichi and Himiko if they had won? That scene strongly implied that winning did not mean "get invited back to play again next week", because that was the punishment for the other three players.

Tsugumi seemed to claim that she had created all - or at least many - of the previous "real" games, but how would that work? Was Tsugumi a character in all of them, so the viewers always knew who the mastermind was? Or are the accumulated memories of being the mastermind implanted into one player in each game, so it's that composite identity that created them all?

Up until the very last moments of the game every character you control has the hair antenna associated with being externally controlled. Kaede's antenna even metaphorically transfers from her to Shuichi between chapters 1 and 2 when he takes off his hat. This is apparently just a coincidence and doesn't mean anything.

Hangman's Gambit is still the absolute worst.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

MegaZeroX posted:

I have heard many criticisms of V3's ending in my time, but "it was too obvious" was never one of them.
I guess I'm just very used to metafiction? I had various suspicions at the start of chapter 6 but as soon as you found the second shot put ball the chain of "Kaede didn't kill Rantaro, the mastermind did" -> "Only Kibo and Tsugumi didn't have alibis and it's blatantly not Kibo" -> "The shot of Junko at the end of chapter 5 was Tsugumi cosplaying" -> "But Tsugumi can only cosplay as fictional characters" was pretty much immediate for me. I wouldn't call it "too obvious" but the groundwork of "none of these memories can be trusted" and "even by DR standards some of these character backgrounds are absurd" had been laid for a long time.

Though at that point I was still thinking in terms of "this is a real murder game in a setting where DR1+2 are fiction" rather than the extra step the game ultimately goes.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Electric Phantasm posted:

I struggled so hard on this even though I knew answer already.

"Wait which statement do I shoot with which bullet to even get that answer?" :negative:

I can't imagine figuring that out blind.

I don't remember having any difficulty with that, nor with meat on the bone in 2-1.

Overall I don't remember there being any trials in the series I thought were particularly bad, as long as you ignore Hangman's Gambits? When I didn't like a chapter it was usually because of some issue with the chapter's investigation or non-case story rather than the case itself, which was usually fairly interesting even in the ones that were obvious.

No Wave posted:

It's true that there should have been more of an explanation. My understanding is Gundham did it because he figured they'd starve to death in Strawberry Tower otherwise so he decided to kill the guy who was already dead. It's a really rough way to treat Nekomaru after all he went through and I don't really agree with his deciding Nekomaru's life was worth less, so maybe more charitably he chose Nekomaru because he figured Nekomaru would be the most willing to sacrifice himself one way or another (which is what he meant by the honorable duel... which it wasn't).

2-4 spoilers I don't think it's unreasonable to take Gundham at his implied word, since we're not really given any strong arguments for any other explanation. He and Nekomaru were both willing to sacrifice the two of them to save the others, and they were both very competitive so Gundham had them fight to see who would go first. If Nekomaru had won - honestly the more likely outcome - he would have probably admitted it and skipped the class trial, but Gundham's pride wouldn't allow him to do that so he added elaborate smoke and mirrors to challenge the others. Would Gundham have allowed the other students to pick the wrong answer in the class trial? We have no way of knowing, but I'd say probably not.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Deified Data posted:

Then onto 1-3 and lol at Hifumi being the only one to actually call her a she, including the AI she herself designed. 2010 was loving wild

The writing around Chihiro is kind of a mess. [Major spoilers for 1-2 and minor spoilers for some unlockable bonus scenes] As written Chihiro unambiguously identifies as a guy. He presents as a girl in order to avoid facing his issues with self-image and his inability to measure up to his concepts of masculinity, but in bonus scenes he specifically says that he considers that presentation to be a lie and that he lacks the courage to present in a way that matches his true feelings. So in that light Hifumi continuing to call him "she" is Hifumi just seeing what he wants to see and ignoring Chihiro's feelings.

Unfortunately if you try to consider this from the perspective of the real life experiences of most gender non-conforming people it all falls apart; even if the writing is possibly intended to be earnest and sympathetic it ends up playing into unpleasant and dangerous stereotypes instead.

As you say, 2010, though it's hard to know if things would be any better today.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Tenebrais posted:

Chihiro reads to me as a trans boy. The whole characterisation is about Chihiro not feeling masculine enough to pass as a boy and therefore acting as a girl, and eventually finding the courage to work on that in preparation of coming out rather than being outed by force.

Yeah; I think if they had realised that was what they were writing and [more 1-2 spoilers] made the mechanics of the mystery revolve around his student ID showing a gender identity he wasn't ready to reveal rather than his physical sex... well, it would still be pretty problematic but I think it would be an improvement.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Please use spoiler tags for this.

V3 ending spoilers
I think it's clear that there's a big gulf between things we're told Miu invents and things we actually see her work on. We're told she invents: communication-disrupting grenades, EMP hammers, and a remote control that can hijack any electronic device. We actually see her: Attach a camera to a consumer drone, hook up a security sensor to press a button. The things she actually does are very consistent with the skills you'd expect from a high schooler who's pretty into an electronics hobby, whereas we never see her working on the things that would make her an ultimate - and the finished products of the latter look dramatically more polished and professional than the things we see her work on.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

TwoPair posted:

Yeah but there's no reason to think she didn't invent those other things besides "it happened off screen"? I mean, I definitely see how you could choose to read her as being untalented and the producers just made all her poo poo for her, but in a game where the producers can literally rewrite memories and personalities on the fly, I don't see why she can't have invented that other stuff too.

Sure, I don't think anyone would say that that interpretation is impossible. [V3 ending spoilers] But V3 has so little in the way of clear answers that there's a strong incentive for people to try to find consistent theories that fit the restricted information we do have. The idea that the flashback lights can only implant book-learning and boost confidence explains a lot of little inconsistencies, and there's nothing in the game that really contradicts it so it's a very popular theory.

Of course it's always hard to tell the difference between deliberately-placed details and meaningless coincidences. Like, people have pointed out that the backgrounds on the "interview" videos shown in the final trial match one of the sets in Tsumugi's lab. That might be an indication that those videos were her cosplaying as those characters so she could use the videos to throw them into despair, or it might just mean that the devs didn't have that many floor textures and reused one of them. There's no real way to be sure.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

TheCenturion posted:

The kidnapping memories are clearly part of the false backstories intended to make the players paranoid and prone to murderin’.

V3 ending They never remember being kidnapped at any point during the killing game, though. They only remember it in the prologue before they become Ultimates.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

batteries! posted:

I bought Decadence and after the first one I'm torn between taking a look at the postgame or just shelving it. I liked the trial gameplay but most characters feel like cardboard cutouts and the cases telegraph their twists incredibly hard. It definitely feels like a product of its time - I got stuck on one of the first Hangman puzzles because the game wanted you to call Toko a schizo. Having your ending be Junko showing up and throwing a bunch of poo poo at the wall and then happily marching to her death is definitely a choice.

If you're on the fence, going directly to the second game might be the option I'd suggest? I won't say it completely fixes the sort of problems you're talking about, but many people consider it the best of the three and its baselines of character depth and competence are mostly higher than the first game's. I don't think the first game's postgame will improve your view on it much.

It would have been nice if they had tried to improve that specific terminology you mentioned for the rerelease, but I can't say I'm surprised that they didn't. It's not like it was particularly acceptable on first release.

NRVNQSR fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Apr 10, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Dr3 first case spoilers: I don't like that they went all heavy rain with the first case. Mysterys that cheat and have the player/reader/viewer's perspective just.. not see a bunch of the stuff that the character does is such a buzz kill. Would've really preferred that either we knew and were going through the setup as part of gameplay, then having a different take in the trial where we have to prove we did it and get people to believe, or just never playing as that character

It's a little divisive. I've certainly seen much worse offenders; at least here the narrator specifically never lies to us and does accurately report all of their actions, so it's not out of the question that an astute reader would notice, even though they conceal a lot of their thought process and specific details. But yeah, from the get go it's not trying very hard to play fair in that case. For the most part, though, I think people who don't like it often don't like it because they wanted to play as that character more.