Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.
Crassus was the biggest rear end in a top hat though. He raced towards burning buildings and offered to buy it and the surrounding buildings for a vastly reduced price. If you accepted, he would use his firefighters to put out the fire. If you refused, he let it all burn down. :laugh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

Yeah thanks but I don't do podcasts. The only way for me to actually get something out of one is to do absolutely nothing else when listening because I can't pay attention and do something else (eg working, gaming), just one or the other, and I have absolutely no interest in staring at iTunes for X minutes no matter the topic.
Do you read books while gaming? :psyduck:

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

The Janministrator posted:

I'm actually a history major who took the unfortunate path of choosing American history as a focus. As a result, I've felt myself wanting to branch out. I was thinking of actually writing my senior dissertation on Sicily, where my family's from. I know this is a broad question, but do you know anything interesting about Roman Sicily or any suggestions on focus points for the topic? I know it was seized during the Republican period. I'm sure it and Malta remained very strategic points for the empire as its right in the middle of the Mediterranean. Also, was there any sort of conflict that came about when the empire split? I know the Byzantines had control of the island later on as they were the ones who eventually lost it to the North Africans.
Probably a bit boring, but with Sicily being one of the grain baskets you could perhaps use it as a case study for Roman food policies. Grain was really, really important for them, enough to go to war for if necessary. I think you could write a lot about how they organized food distribution, or the officials who were appointed to oversee it, or what happened in cases of famine/war/bad harvest.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Grand Prize Winner posted:

How much is known about training regimens for the Legions? Anything, pre- or post-Marian would be fine.

The only surviving work (afaik) is De Re Militari by Vegetius, from the fifth century AD. It is a patchwork of things copied from earlier sources, and it reeks of 'those young people of today :bahgawd: ' and an admiration for ye olde times when men still lived according to Roman virtues. Its still pretty informative about things like siegecraft and training of recruits.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Smirking_Serpent posted:

How true is the ending line of Patton – the story about a slave standing behind a general during a triumph and whispering that all glory is fleeting?
This sounds really Christian and i have a hard time believing Romans did such a thing. The fact that the only source we have is from a Christian makes it even harder to believe. Romans really, really loved their glories and revelling in manliness and flexing their military biceps to anyone and anything and they tell a general during his victory parade that he will die and his victory and glory are worthless in the end?

9-Volt Assault fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Jul 17, 2012

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

It's perfectly sensible, it's primarily a Republican era tradition (later triumphs are reserved for the emperor almost exclusively) and Romans would absolutely not want a general to get a big head and think he should be in charge. The idea of a king or anything like it was repugnant to them.
Sure, i can see them not wanting the generals to start thinking too high and mighty of themselves, but focussing on the passing of life kinda feels out of place for me. But eh, perhaps they did say it, who knows.

Im doing my MA in ancient history after a BA focussing mostly on 17th/18th century (with some dabbling in Roman history), and something that i've always noticed is how its apparently normal to publish articles full of statements like 'well Cicero/Seneca/Tertullian says <X>, which means this is how it really was'. I know the lack of sources makes it hard to confirm or deny most citations we got, but the certainty with which authors make statements still baffles me at times.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Smirking_Serpent posted:

How true is the ending line of Patton – the story about a slave standing behind a general during a triumph and whispering that all glory is fleeting?
I was still curious about this, especially since all we have is a statement from Tertullian (apparently Epictetus also wrote about it in Discourses 3.24.85, but i cant find the relevant passage on the internet), and not even someone like Suetonius wrote about it, despite mentioning such inane things like Vespasian being bored by his own triumph. If you take a look at what Tertullian wrote, it seems that he was concerned about the cult of the emperor, and that emperors starting thinking themselves living gods. As a Christian, and an opponent of the emperor cult, this was unacceptable to him.

A translation of the relevant passage goes 'Even when, amid the honours of a triumph, he sits on that lofty chariot, he is reminded that he is only human. A voice at his back keeps whispering in his ear, “Look behind thee; remember thou art but a man.” And it only adds to his exultation, that he shines with a glory so surpassing as to require an admonitory reference to his condition.'

No mention of a real person, slave or not, standing behind the victor. Of course, Latin translations are pretty flexible and i've seen translations that did say it was a real person, so it might be a matter of interpretation. Perhaps it was a real person, or it might be talking about the conscious of the victor. There is a silver cup from Boscoreale which depicts Tiberius with a slave standing behind him, so there is some proof supporting the idea of a slave behind the victor.

However, if you see the order of the procession, the soldiers were right behind the general, so it could also be taken literally: 'you did not win this victory alone, like some god, but thanks to your soldiers'.

Anyway, while i still think the story is not true, there is also enough proof for it to be true. We simply cant be sure due to the vagueness of the statements we got. It just shows how hard it is to make definitive statements about Roman times. Most facts can be interpreted in multiple ways.

9-Volt Assault fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Jul 18, 2012

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Base Emitter posted:

Did the Romans understand enough about cancer to try removing tumors surgically? It seems like some cases you'd have a tumor that could be seen or felt that they would know would eventually overtake a patient.
They did, yes. This gives a short overview of some ancient and medieval medical works about cancer.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Agesilaus posted:

Yes, we can compare the two, as evidenced by this very thread. Why do you think we can't compare the ancients to the moderns? There's nothing in your post that suggests that we cannot; at most, you say that ancient Romans are different from modern people, but I've never heard someone claim that you can't compare different things.

I'm not a huge fan of the Romans, but at any rate we've certainly regressed in certain ways from classical societies. Studying the classics is an ennobling practice.
Comparing us to the Romans is about as useful as comparing Earth to the moon. Yes, you can compare it, but it mostly shows how much we are not alike.

Studying classics is actually not that helpful if you are looking for guidance for the here and now. You are mostly studying the elite of the elite, filtered through 2000 years of civilizations trying to compare themselves to their idea of what Rome was (i.e. mostly Rome as an example of what the people wanted themselves to be).

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Mustang posted:

Another good book on the day to day lives of Romans is Life in Ancient Rome by E.R. Cowell. Even tells you how ancient Romans used to take a dump.

Has some good illustrations too.
I learned this from Spartacus. :c00l:

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

This is an awesome article about the recently found Roman mosaic in Turkey, and how Carthage drove the Romans from Turkey: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2205416/How-far-did-Romans-Massive-mosaic-Turkey-leads-think-spread-empire.html

:lol:

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Phobophilia posted:

I prefer the historian over the classicist, because the requires you to be highly critical of sources rather than an incredulous buffoon.
Classicists literally sometimes reason 'well Herodotus/Cicero/Caesar said this or that, thus it is true for the entire classical world in every century'. Or they take satirical works completely serious. Its just baffling reading such things as a historian. :psyduck:

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Some 16th century German dude collected a bunch of historical sources and named it Corpus Historiae Byzantinae, which was afaik the first recorded use of the term. In the 17th century there was also a French collection of sources collected as the Byzantine du Louvre

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

I like the story (myth?) about the Greek Milo of Croton, who was said to walk around with a baby calf on his shoulders every day. Since the calf would become heavier over time, so would his strength increase. Its perhaps one of the first recorded stories of using progressive resistance exercise?

Pliny also has some stories about feats of strength in his natural history in book VII, like one of the bodyguards of Augustus, who reportedly could squat a cart filled with winesacks, or a dude who walked around in a suit of armour weighing 1000 pounds.

Im not sure if there is much written material about training. Galen has written about using a kind of dumbbells to strengthen the body, and there is the Gymnasticus from Philostratus, written in the third century AD.

There is this mosaic from the Villa Romana del Casale showing a Roman woman lifting weights, from the 4th century AD.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

I find it interesting that sites like Mitrou, Lefkandi and Kynos seemingly show no signs of disturbance (or at least abandonment) during the Bronze Age collapse, despite being located in the centre of Greece. Everything around them was falling apart, but the people there just kept on living there during the transition period. Although they do show signs of changing social structures based on excavated cemeteries and such, so they probably were affected by it all.

9-Volt Assault fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Nov 13, 2012

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Base Emitter posted:

Ok, I'm officially fascinated, especially as I haven't had a history class involving anything before Rome. Is there a good, general book on the Bronze Age and its mysterious finale?
The 'Oxford Handbook of the Bronze Age Aegean' seems a pretty good book about the Bronze age in general, and it was released at the beginning of this year so it should be up to date.

On the other hand, it might not be the best introduction book, sitting at over 900 pages, spending 400 pages on specific archaeological sites and generally seems written with historians or students of ancient history in mind. It also doesnt say a whole lot about the collapse specifically (looking at the table of contents +- 12 pages), but it should give you a bibliography to check for more information.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Koramei posted:

Wait what.

Bath houses were visited nude, and an important place for socializing. So yeah, checking out each others dongs was pretty normal for Romans.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

achillesforever6 posted:

But weren't they somewhat more progressive with their women's rights than Athens. I mean still gently caress those assholes, but I thought I heard Sparta had better rights for women compared to Athens.
If you want a society that was truly progressive (for ancient times), you have to look at the Etruscans. Women were threated pretty much as equals by them, leading to the Greeks and Romans writing all kinds of poo poo about how they were sluts (because they were not confined to the house and mingled with people of the other sex in public). I also love their style of sarcophagus, which is really sweet.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

The worst text is from Theopompus (quoted by Athenaeus), who is obviously full of poo poo:

quote:

Sharing wives is an established Etruscan custom. Etruscan women take particular care of their bodies and exercise often, sometimes along with the men, and sometimes by themselves. It is not a disgrace for them to be seen naked. They do not share their couches with their husbands but with the other men who happen to be present, and they propose toasts to anyone they choose. They are expert drinkers and very attractive.
The Etruscans raise all the children that are born, without knowing who their fathers are. The children live the way their parents live, often attending drinking parties and having sexual relations with all the women. It is no disgrace for them to do anything in the open, or to be seen having it done to them, for they consider it a native custom. So far from thinking it disgraceful, they say when someone ask to see the master of the house, and he is making love, that he is doing so-and-so, calling the indecent action by its name.

When they are having sexual relations either with courtesans or within their family, they do as follows: after they have stopped drinking and are about to go to bed, while the lamps are still lit, servants bring in courtesans, or boys, or sometimes even their wives. And when they have enjoyed these they bring in boys, and make love to them. They sometimes make love and have intercourse while people are watching them, but most of the time they put screens woven of sticks around the beds, and throw cloths on top of them.

They are keen on making love to women, but they particularly enjoy boys and youths. The youths in Etruria are very good-looking, because they live in luxury and keep their bodies smooth. In fact all the barbarians in the West use pitch to pull out and shave off the hair on their bodies.

Also, Aristotle remarked that men and women dined together, which is supported by murals found, just like there are paintings found of women joining men at games, indicating a far greater public life for women compared to especially Greek women.

And another thing, the Etruscan mentioned both the father and the mothers name in inscriptions. And the woman could keep using their own name instead of taking on the husbands name.

Sure, its all not the most solid evidence ever, but the negative reactions you can find here and there towards Etruscan women in Greek and Roman sources are pretty telling. Its a shame Claudius' history of the Etruscans didnt survive, as im wondering what he would have written about it.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Cervixalot posted:

I'm getting pretty close to the end of The History of Rome podcast, and looking for a book or another podcast to pick up where it leaves off. I've got the History of Byzantium podcast in my feed ready to check out, but I think i'm more interested in continuing the history of the kings, military and development of Western Europe.

Dan Carlin's Hardcore History delves into immediately post-collapse in the west in his Thor's Angels podcast, ending with the ascension of Charlemagne, which was pretty rad. I'd love a book/podcast that covers the transition of late antiquity into the middle ages for the West, preferably more modern as not to fall into the trap of viewing this period as the 'Dark Ages'- any recommendations?

Chris Wickham's 'Framing the Early Middle Ages: Europe and the Mediterranean, 400-800' or 'The Inheritance Of Rome: A History of Europe from 400 to 1000' both look pretty decent. The first one also won several awards for history books and looks like the one more suited towards an interested amateur audience.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

In case people are interested in some of the current research being done in classics (and also other subjects), Cambridge Journals offers free access to all articles published in 2012 until early march: http://blog.journals.cambridge.org/2013/01/free-access-to-all-2012-content-on-cambridge-journals-online/

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

A_Bluenoser posted:

From a certain perspective actors, prostitutes and gladiators are all the same thing - people who entertain you using their voices and bodies. There have been plenty of high-class prostitutes in history who were very highly trained and well-paid but in few cultures would their profession have been considered something to aspire to by the upper classes. From that perspective it's not hard to see why actors were not treated any differently. It's also worth noting that in a lot of cultures theatre was not considered a particularly high form of art. Most of Shakespeare's plays, for instance, would probably have been enjoyed much as summer blockbusters are today rather than as great works of art.

There is also something deeply transgressive about acting in general in that an actor makes their living by pretending to be someone else. If you come from a philosophical perspective where you don't think that there is any valid distinction between what you do on stage and what you do off the stage, then it would be very easy to conclude that actors must be untrustworthy people. In this case the the actor is a liar and their skills actually condemn them.

More tenuously (this well outside anything I know much about) a lot of ancient societies seem to have had some connection between role-playing and religious rituals. Think about the festivals where masters and servants switched roles for a day. That could be seen as a sort of theatre and when done within its proper context would be fine. In a profane context, however, theatre - and thus actors - could possibly be sacrilegious.

Funnily enough, part of the education of young noble sons was to reenact famous trials and such, acting out various roles and positions in the debates. Being able to speak in public was something that was expected of every man, so a lot of attention was given to the voice and body language. It was also used to instill values of masculinity through examples. Although its mostly a thing from the Empire iirc, coming into vogue during the time of the Second Sophistic.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Hey look, two new studies which conclude that the Carthaginians did in fact sacrifice children.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Kopijeger posted:

Then again, you might simply wind up like the protagonist in Poul Anderson's short story "The man who came early".
This is far more likely. Although, if you found yourself in Roman times, if you managed to learn Greek you might get away with a lot of weird ideas by claiming it's ancient eastern or Egyptian knowledge. They liked that kind of stuff.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

I can't believe I'm actually trying to logically think this through in my head but here we go. . .

1) A nipple is extremely sensitive to pressure - seriously tweak your own nipple right now. You don't even need to hit it especially hard or be lactating or aroused or anything to get a flash of pain/pleasure there that you won't see applying a similar squeeze to your ear, nose, elbow, or even genitals.

2) A turgid penis is a lot stiffer and more resisting than your average nipple. You can actually squeeze one pretty loving hard without it getting painful. Even the head can take a lot more in the way of being smashed or squeezed than a nipple. These things are designed to be the penetrating prow of a mighty trireme, after all.

3) Babies don't have teeth. That's where most of the bad parts of biting during a blowjob happen. As long as skin isn't broken and they aren't dragged down the length like a loving rasp there's actually a time and place for nibbling in a good blowjob. "Nibbling" a nipple? Man, you better either be mostly just applying pressure with your lips or have some fine loving motor control over your jaw.

4) Finally: Purple nurples hurt like a motherfucker. Something similiar-ish doesn't have anything like the same affect when applied to a hard dick.

In short, as the owner/operator of both a dick and a set of (admittedly male) nipples I'm not entirely sure that Suetonius is writing about impossibilities here.

And now, having spent my morning coffee contemplating the logistics of blowjobs from infants, I'm going to go do anything else for the rest of the day and try to forget I ever sat down to think this through.

:vince:

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

Has anybody in this thread read Guy Halsall's Barbarian Migrations and the Roman West? I picked it up based on the recommendation of history types from another web forum, and I absolutely loved it, even though its really, really dry. But half the footnotes seemed to be about how Peter Heather has it wrong, and I'm curious if anyone has read both and might have an opinion.

Its been a while since i read both (Halsall's book and Peter Heather's 'The Fall of the Roman Empire: A New History.'), but from what i remember they disagree about why the Roman Empire 'fell'. Heather is more supportive of the idea that it happened because of barbarian migrations, downplaying the internal problems of the Roman Empire, while Halsall seems more inclined to acknowledge that the internal problems of the Roman Empire gave way for the barbarians to settle in Roman lands. Also, Halsall supported the idea that the invading people where more of an army, while Heather thinks that entire tribes settled in Roman land.

It's also funny that Heather goes on about how wrong Halsall is in his 2010 book 'Empires and Barbarians: The Fall of Rome and the Birth of Europe'. So perhaps also read Heather's work to get a contrasting view?

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

The more i think about museums the more uncomfortable i'm becoming with them. Like those statues from the Parthenon being in England, it simply makes no sense. You can write three paragraphs about what they are, place it next to them and it still doesnt make it any less weird to see those statues in England.

I never had much trouble with museums until last year, when i visited the Dutch National Museum of Ethnology. I couldnt help but feel kinda uncomfortable looking at room after room of items that used to hold real meaning to real people and here they are, presented as something exotic to look and marvel at, but with hardly any context or meaning left to them.

I dunno, i should probably dig into some of the literature surrounding it to see some better formulated arguments for and against museums.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

One thing is museums aren't just display cases. The majority of what they do is research work that takes place in those back rooms nobody gets to see.

A lot of that stuff is also there precisely because it did not hold any meaning to the people where it came from. They got rid of it. Not everything in a museum was looted by guys in pith helmets.

There's also plenty of stuff that wouldn't survive if it weren't for museums. There are artifacts saved from places that actively destroyed their heritage (China), or ones from countries that simply don't have the resources to take care of their own stuff (Greece since we're on the subject, but this is a long long list). Museums also serve as a way of globalizing human culture. Most people are not going to have the resources to travel to Greece to see Greek stuff, which is as much a part of the cultural heritage of a Canadian as it is a Greek. However, far more would be able to travel to... I don't know where the big museums are in Canada, Toronto? You get the point.

That's another point specifically about the Elgin Marbles, or anything from Greece/Rome. I don't think those artifacts are any more the cultural heritage of people living in those places than of any other westerner. I honestly don't think there's any significant difference between having a Greek statue in London or Paris or Athens. All those people have an equal claim to Greek legacy.

Yeah, i was thinking that perhaps i had less of an issue with displaying stuff that was found locally, but then i remembered that i have more in common with a random Greek person living today than the Germanic people who strolled around the place where i now live 1500 years ago and well, that whole argument kinda flew out the window. Still, walking around the Forum in Rome is not something that could really be replicated by placing bits and pieces of it in a museum, so i guess sometimes it works to experience things in their original place?

Then again, the Pergamon Altar was still impressive despite it being in a museum. The Ara Pacis too.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

The British Museum loaned one of the Elgin Marbles to the Hermitage in Russia, causing Greece to become outraged, what with the museum not only claiming that the marbles were to fragile too move, but also because they hid the loan until after the artifacts were already in Russia. :lol:

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

bean_shadow posted:

What was the best time to be a woman in the ancient world? I know it was never GREAT but didn't Egyptian and Roman women have it better than Greek?

Etruscan women seemed to have had it pretty good. The Romans and Greeks were horrified by the fact that they appeared outside, attended banquets and dinner parties and talked to men other than their husband, thus leading them to think all Etruscan women were whores. Of course, this all tells more about Roman and Greek ideas about women.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

The Romans liked to use Greek athletes during games, even though they would disapprove a Roman spending as much time exercising as the athletes did. Just like they loved gladiators but :lol: if you decided to become one yourself.

What is also often seen in Roman literature is that training the body was a distraction from training the mind. For example, both Cicero and Tacitus talk about this. However, this idea is also seen in Greek literature, and Romans loved copying Greek literature. Its not really clear whether its just a way of showing that you know your Greek poo poo and are thus part of the elite, or that Romans really considered physical training bad for the mind. Considering how training for war was Good and Roman i guess it was only bad if you trained to be a fit handsome dude, and not if you trained to be a fit handsome dude who was good at stabbing people.

Another thing is that the Romans linked physical appearance and posture to character. So on the one hand a fit and muscular body could be seen as someone who had neglected the mind, but also as someone who embodied Good Roman VIrtues like determination and manliness. It can be seen in statues like the ones from Polykleitos which were often copied by the Romans, which embodied the masculine ideal that should be copied, but also a statue like the boxer of Quirinal, which embodied the toll and beatings a boxer takes, which could deform a man. But of course such statues could also be seen as presenting a virtue, because persevering through pain and suffering is also a good thing.

Basically, Roman attitudes towards athletes were contradictory and varied and are another reason why Roman history owns.

Also, two good books about athletics in the Roman world are Newby, Greek Athletics in the Roman World (Oxford 2005) and König, Athletics and Literature in the Roman Empire (Cambridge 2005).

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

This is a fun article about the reconstruction of the pronunciation of a poem by Sappho, including a reading of how it might have sounded. It sounds quite... different.

It als linked to this page: http://www.rhapsodes.fll.vt.edu/ , which has more readings from Greek and Latin texts. I especially recommend the one from Terence, as it sounds quite hilarious.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

They practiced child sacrifice so it wouldn't be too shocking, really.

Well.... this is a really suspect claim based mostly on Roman (who of course hated their guts and had every reason to claim they practiced something as terrible as child sacrifice), and Greek sources. The important distinction is that they claimed the Carthaginians did it for religious purposes, which was of course completely different from 'exposing unwanted children to the elements' like proper Greeks and Romans did. Or how the Romans might have buried a Vestal Virgin alive if she ever lost her virginity, which is a way of appeasing the gods, but of course totally not a religious sacrifice because technically she wasnt condemned to death. :v:

However, the sources we have that claim the Carthaginians did it are all suspect for one reason or another. Diodorus Siculus claimed a Carthaginian army sacrificed prisoners, instead of their own children, to the flames, only to have their own camp go up in flames as a suitable punishment, which makes it more of an moral tale than a reliable report. Tertullian is a Christian who claimed that child sacrifices continued on in secret, which he of course would say to talk poo poo about competing religions. Not only that, he was also fully enveloped in Greco-Roman culture and child sacrifice is the perfect way to make a distinction between civilization and barbarism. Plutarchus mentioned it to, but he disagrees with other writes by saying that before offering the children were killed, instead of burned alive. Other writes mention the sacrifices of adults instead of children. So what we got is a bunch of reports who all contradict each other and are all written by people with agenda's.

And then there is Polybius, who was at Carthage during the third Punic war and gave an eyewitness description of it, but made not a single mention of child sacrifices. Which you would expect as it would have stood out to the Romans, especially as a way to make the Carthaginians even more deserving of their defeat.

The best 'proof' there is, is archeological, but even that is kinda iffy, because it can also be interpreted as the cremation of babies who died in infancy. Yes, there is an increase in bodies found when the city fell on hard times, but increased child mortality isnt that strange when the city was under siege or lacking food or any such things.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

The Bactrian camel is a disgrace to life on Earth, and its continued existence as a species is as inexplicable as it is shameful.
Luckily its almost extinct, another win for humanity!

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

My biggest :wtf: was that not-Europe was not some dumb shithole until the Europeans came. :downs:

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

I was reading about the feud between Cicero and Clodius and its an amazing story, starting with Clodius' sister hitting on Cicero and ending with Clodius renouncing his patrician rank to become tribune of the plebs so he could banish Cicero. In between there is stuff like Clodius falsely trying to prosecute the sister of Cicero's wife (a Vestal Virgin) for having sex with Catiline, the actual Catiline conspiracy where Cicero and Clodius work together, Clodius dressing as a woman to infiltrate a mystery rite to hit on Caesars wife, and Crassus using his wealth to bribe the jury to get Clodius to walk away from it all. Its amazing and i want it turned into an HBO serie. :allears:

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

MrNemo posted:

Honestly I find it weirder once you realise how government authority worked in the purely personal feudal sense. Really came home to me listening to the History of the Crusades podcast when Richard I comes along and supports Guy for the throne of Jerusalem because, while he wasn't of particularly high ranking nobility, was an indecisive, untalented and uncharismatic miliary leader and had just managed to screw up badly enough that he had lost nearly every city in Jerusalem aside from the one controlled by someone who was opposed to his rule; he was from the same area of France as Richard and so nominally owed fealty to him (and thus Richard had responsibility to him) and both claimed descent from a water fairy in French mythstory establishing familial ties.

Like, Patron-client relationship I can pretty much grasp. It's a relatively straightforward money/support relationship with some more complex sociological baggage. But I cannot really grasp how 'You're family is from an area I control and we both claim descent from a water fairy so I guess I have to overlook your incompetence, flimsy claim to the throne and the utter disaster you've helped bring about' works.

I take it you have never worked in a company that employed some questionable hiring tactics like nepotism?

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

fspades posted:

Also, "The Inheritance Of Rome" by Chris Wickham.

This is a cool and good book.

Jamwad Hilder posted:

So I think this is kind of within the scope of this thread, maybe better suited for Medieval? I'm interested in learning more about the Viking age/Carolingian Europe. Anyone have any good recommendations for where to start?

For Carolingian history, check out the books written by Rosamond McKitterick.

9-Volt Assault fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Aug 9, 2015

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

mornhaven posted:

Persian Fire was pretty good, though if I remember correctly about half of it was about the Greek city states in the Persian War. It's been a while since I read it so I might be misremembering it.

Any book that claims that the Greek victory against the Persians saved western civilization is just dumb. Tom Holland is a good writer but not a good historian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Robin Lane Fox wrote a book, Traveling Heroes in the epic age of Homer, in which he tries to match the Greek myths about gods and heroes to actual physical places and people that the Greeks, specifically the Euboans, came into contact with during their travels in the 10th-8th century, and how this can transform myths. Its a cool book and the author is a distinguished scholar so unfortunately no theories about Atlantis or Bolivia being the source of the myths.