Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Koramei posted:

I have a dumb question: what would you all rate as the most popular (explicitly not our favorite) premodern historical periods/regions in the west today?

e.g. my opinion roughly in order, maybe something like:

1. Medieval Britain
2. Vikings
3. Ancient Rome
4. Pirates
5. Mythological/Ancient Greece
6. Feudal Japan
7. France (18th century?)
8. Ancient Egypt
9. "Ancient" China (period probably not spelled out)
10. Renaissance Italy

I expect there are ways to actually get data of this but I don't have the first idea where to start

Looks like you just make a list of Assassin's Creed games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Mister Olympus posted:

So if you're dragooned into land armies but shanghaied into a navy, what's the term for being forced into flying a plane? Or being made a space marine while drunk?

Just SKY CRIIIIIME

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCOc2eGGJvY

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

you can hear the post before you click on it

for content: was their alot written about the early west african good trade? Is there a definite date we can say trade began across the Sahara or no one really knows?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

The dinosaur could get you when you're hiding in the toilet.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

The Lone Badger posted:

If your village is small enough then one guy yelling really loudly counts as mass-media.

I think they call them a muezzin.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

romans would have loved their "aguafresca" toothpaste

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Koramei posted:

It's worth noting what different cultures consider clean is obviously kinda varied though -- in spite of being fastidious about personal hygiene, laundry, and keeping a tidy home, it seems like people in Joseon were a-ok with taking a poo poo directly in front of house guests, much to the horror of Western visitors.

Gotta make Lyndon Johnson an honorary Korean

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Crab Dad posted:

Sit around all day eating oysters and loving. What a life.

Of course they would be loving, what do you think the oysters are for?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

CrypticFox posted:

One might expect this, but in the 4 examples from Mari of a substitute being used, that's not really what is seen. The 4 examples we have of this phenomenon are: three "townspeople," 2 women and one old man, swimming for their prince (it's unclear why there were three swimmers, this case seems to have been complicated), and also three cases with a one-to-one replacement, a lady-in-waiting swimming for a queen, a wife swimming for her husband, and a mother swimming for her daughter. Interestingly, 5 of the 6 attested substitute swimmers are women, and the one man recorded as a substitute swimmer is described as being old, so they don't seem to have been picking strong young men for this job.

Are they picking people they think will fail or think they will succeed?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Grand Fromage posted:

It really depends on the humor. There are some things that are universal, like farts. But a lot of humor is very cultural and doesn't translate well--even today, go watch a Japanese comedy show and it's mostly mystifying, not funny. We have preserved ancient jokes and some of them work, but a lot are just confusing.

See also: the death of the American comedy movie when international box office became alot more important

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

cheetah7071 posted:

Anybody here have any opinions on which ruins within day trip distance of Athens are the coolest? I'm going there soon, and after accounting for time in the city proper, I have time for two day trips. I'm pretty set on going to Mycanae unless I hear it sucks, but the options for my second day are a little harder--Delphi, the temple of Poseidon, and doing a mini-cruise of the nearby islands all sound cool. I figure this thread is more likely to have similar tastes to me in travel than other threads.

If you start early enough you could hit Mycanae and then Olympia and back but it would be like 3 hours in a car there and back.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Koramei posted:

In a certain sense, what’s the difference between a philosopher and a priest?

Depends on the third guy who walks into a bar. For this thread we could say... Julius Caesar

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

barbecue at the folks posted:

A German museum dressed a recreation of a Neantherdal guy in business casual and honestly, if you saw this dude in the metro here you wouldn't bat an eye:

unfrozen caveman lawyer reboot looking pretty good right now

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

zoux posted:

Also the acropolis is fake they rebuilt it in the 70s!

well now they're never gonna get the marbles back

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

skasion posted:

From loving Corsica though. This is by far the most insane part of Napoleon’s life story. For a decade this guy ruled half of Europe among and against its own divinely anointed crowned heads, when he was a semi-assimilated “notable” from an irrelevant island mostly known to other Europeans for poverty and crime. It’s completely baffling that it occurred. It’s like if the Galactic Emperor turned out to be from Scranton, PA.

Don't give joe ideas

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

skasion posted:

You don’t just leave the oil on. You go to the baths, take your clothes off, get oiled up, work out a bit, scrape the gross oil-sweat-grime off with your strigil, then wash in the hot water, then the cold, dry off, get oiled up again (by massage), then clean up, get dressed and go home. There’s reference to perfumes and scented oils being used for the last bit. People probably smelled a bit oily by and large, but if everyone’s doing it then you’re gonna be used to it—and in a largely unsoaped world, a bit of oil smell is probably more palatable than the alternative.

If you think that’s gross, Pliny says (Natural History 15.5) that some gymnasiums sold the scraped off oil for lots of money since it was considered medicinally useful:

I guess that’s why they call it Greece!

Surely this must have been brought up somewhere when the poison bath water articles happened

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

PittTheElder posted:

Now this is a conspiracy theory I need to hear more about.

the better one is Ted Cruz's dad

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Brawnfire posted:

Sounds like an 80s action show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoV1-fsFCmw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Nessus posted:

I am definitely not in favor of state execution of anyone ever, lol, just to be clear.

This seems to be mostly starting from the premise of "state executions are a form of human sacrifice" and working back from there to justify that view.

It is a view I like to make in my class when we talk about it in a big debate about human sacrifice every year.

and then all the kids get mad at me