Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Tunicate posted:

The TSA shoe rule is because someone tried it

Yeah, once, which speaks more to Tulip's point.

The point kaschei was trying to make is fine, but I do agree with Tulip that there need not be any more motivation in stressing the importance of accuracy in preserving an oral tradition than just, you know, getting it right. Especially when we're talking about religion and cosmology as opposed to, say, goat loving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

The idea of an ongoing moral panic that someone might be loving a goat is very funny.

Ashoka, Major Pillar Edict 5 posted:

This rescript on morality has been caused to be written by Devanampriya Priyadarsin. Here no living being must be killed and sacrificed. And also no goat loving must be held. For king Devanampriya Priyadarsin sees much evil in goat loving. And there are also some goat fuckings which are considered meritorious by king Devanampriya Priyadarsin. Formerly in the kitchen of king Devanampriya Priyadarsin many hundred thousands of animals were hosed daily for the sake of cum. But now, when this rescript on morality is caused to be written, then only three animals are being hosed (daily), (viz.) two goats (and) one sheep, but even this sheep not regularly. But even these three animals shall not be hosed (in future).

King Devanampriya Priyadansin speaks thus.

Judgy Fucker fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jun 13, 2022

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

I appreciate the ancient history thread on the Something Awful forums is evidently attracting (a) gimmick account(s) in 2022 CE

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Jazerus posted:

late antiquity saw a serious rise in bigotry which was very unusual in the context of earlier roman attitudes. the only major figure i can think of that faced stilicho-like scorn for "barbarian origins" before that era is maximinus thrax - the historia augusta goes into great detail about what a huge, brutish, awful thracian he was - but that kind of strikes me as throwing every bit of scorn possible onto the guy who precipitated the Crisis, just one more excuse to think of him as one of the shittiest emperors ever by indulging in the greek stereotype of thracians.

I've known of the growing xenophobia of late antiquity, but I've never read even an attempt at an explanation for it. Is there much written on the topic?

Grand Fromage posted:

It was reasonably common. The military of course was a way a lot of people did a lot of travel (not just men but their families/camp followers too), lots and lots of long distance trade, and there was a robust tourist infrastructure in many areas. Depending on what you're considering long distance of course. We know the major arena circuits in Italy scheduled games so they wouldn't conflict with each other because lots of people would see gladiator matches in Rome, then head down to Pompeii to watch games there too, then off to somewhere else. And then there was plenty of internal migration which is being confirmed by things like analyzing tooth enamel. It was at all unusual for someone to be born in Spain, move to Africa as an adult, move again to Illyria or wherever.

Most people didn't get around that much, but most people don't today either. Especially for premodern people Romans got around quite a bit.

Related to my above question, perhaps the breakdown of the internal trade network plays a role? People began interacting with "others" less and less, hence becoming more fearful of them?

euphronius posted:

People love traveling it’s not really mind blowing

An East Asian person being buried in ancient Apulia is pretty fascinating, actually.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

I don't know of any good explanations, it surely is multi factor. I know breakdown of the trade network isn't one though, that doesn't really happen until the 500s and the late antique xenophobia started centuries before.

Not to go full Gibbon but I think Christianity is one of the factors--the change in religious outlook from an expansive, inclusive set of beliefs to a single, exclusive doctrine would naturally have had ripple effects through the culture. I don't think it's a complete explanation though.

I was under the impression that internal trade began to decrease dramatically beginning with the 3rd century fun times, perhaps "break down" was too strong a term? Or am I mistaken totally?

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Tulip posted:

he endonym that Japan used before 日本 "nihon" was 大和, which bear with me is not pronounced "daiwa" but "yamato." Kanji pronunciations are a nightmare.

This right here is one of two reasons I gave up taking Japanese in college. Reading your sentence I was smirking at thinking I knew how to pronounce "daiwa," then finished your sentence and my eye twitched.

The other reason I gave up was my instructor knowing I did the stroke order wrong on a 20+ stroke character without watching me write it. gently caress

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Zereth posted:

In this very thread, as I recall.

Yes, most definitely. Why their rereg got identified immediately.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

galagazombie posted:

So much of the worlds religious taboos and proscriptions are so very obviously the pet peeve or traumatic memory of the individual writer.

Augustine doesn't even pretend it's otherwise

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Brawnfire posted:

"Eloi eloi lemme succthemtiddies"

:golfclap:

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Fish of hemp posted:

This got me thinking: isn't Christianity the original Q-anon?

JFKJr Jesus of Nazareth is coming back! Soon! We promise! (we hope)

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Christianity figured the only way to reason apocalyptically, the you make it imminent and also push it all the way back to the end of existence.

Here’s another way to explain it. Apocalyptic reasoning is at its core is: poo poo is hosed. hosed poo poo will end.

Those statements are always true. But the problem is when. If there is a date in the future, you reach it, it doesn’t happen, it pushes back, repeat.

Imminence causes action. The end of existence gives it inescapable consequence,a telos, to the end and in the now.

Yeah, Matthew 24:36 does a lot of work in keeping the imminency of the coming Kingdom of God *just* at arm's length forever.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Bar Ran Dun posted:

But the context of the gospels is the war and the destruction of the temple. They are written down as consequence of the war and prior to that were likely oral traditions. At least that’s a strong potential explanation for either the two sources or four source hypothesis in some historical criticism. It’s the answer I like best to the synoptic problem though there are certainly other strong answers.

So the whole chapter 24 the context for the readers when it was written might be currently occurring apocalypse of the Jewish war.

I know the Gospels (Matthew, Luke, and John, at least) were likely written post-Temple, but what evidence is there that they were codified because of the Jewish revolt? Especially John which is fairly anti-Jewish compared to the others.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

PittTheElder posted:

I'm no expert but I think this was pretty common? Monasteries weren't always just a bunch of (male) monks in a church, that's a middle ages and especially a western thing from what I understand.

More or less; by the Middle Ages that had become almost exclusively the sole model for monasticism (with a wide variety of rules). During Late Antiquity monastic traditions were much more varied.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Yeah that's pretty ominous

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

"loose-belted" sure is a euphemism

Also, @ugroyp? :yikes:

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Cessna posted:

Really?

Huh. For a very long time the Eastern Roman Empire was held to be an example of effete decadence, while "Real Men" were into Western Rome.

The real alpha males know the middle republic is where it's at :agesilaus:

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

FreudianSlippers posted:

100+ year old houses are protected and can't be altered without permission.

However there are several cases of contractors just demolishing protected houses and going "oopsy silly me I didn't realise what I was doing. Sorry" and facing no real consequences because of deeply ingrained and widespread political corruption

"Deeply ingrained and widespread political corruption" is not something I would've ever associated with Iceland. I'd love to hear more about it, were this an appropriate place to discuss.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

FreudianSlippers posted:

Totally un Rome related post:

I very much appreciate this thorough write-up, thank you :)

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

sullat posted:

Seems legit, this Honorius guy seems real badass, I'm sure the Roman empire reaches unparalleled heights under his rule.

So badass he's bored to death of the unparalleled heights.

Someone give this emperor a real challenge, he's almost falling asleep over here!

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

the holy poopacy posted:

Wait, did they not have any method of heating at all? I know Rome's in a warm-temperate climate but winter still exists; a bunch of Texans die every time it freezes there and I don't think Texas is that much colder than Rome.

Can't answer the heating question, but looking at climate data for Rome vs. Houston, Rome has lower average lows than Houston in the winter, but Houston has significantly lower record lows. May be colder on average in Rome but it gets really loving cold in Texas from time to time.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Doing some reading wikipedia last night about the Mauryan rock edicts, and it mentioned a few in the western regions of the Empire were written in Greek. I know of the Hellenistic states succeeding Alexander in what is now Afghanistan, Pakistan, etc., but had always assumed that the "Greek" nature of these states was largely limited to a very small ruling elite.

Understanding literacy rates in general would be quite low, my question is: how prevalent was Greek in these areas, both as a spoken language and as a literate one? I find it difficult to believe that these edicts would be written in a language that, even as far as the literate class would go, only a small handful of people could read.

I know the influence of Greek culture was quite strong regarding aesthetics and architecture. What about language?

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

ChubbyChecker posted:

why wouldn't they have written the edicts in the rulers' language?

I don't think the Mauryans spoke Greek? These edicts were markers of Mauryan authority, not Greek.

Deteriorata posted:

Invaders typically coopt the local elites, imposing the conqueror's culture and language on them. These gradually filter down to lower levels of society. Just how far depends on how long the new rule lasts. Peasants tend to stick to their own language and culture regardless of what the big shots are doing for a long time.

I know this in general, I was trying to see if anyone had any information regarding this specific place and time. If it's the same as you've written, then question answered, but this is a generalized response not particular to northwestern south asia circa 250 BCE

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Deteriorata posted:

Then why do you think the central Asian Greek states would be any different?

Of course they spoke Greek. That's what invaders do.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greco-Bactrian_Kingdom

Because not everything is the same everywhere throughout history?

Judgy Fucker posted:

Doing some reading wikipedia last night about the Mauryan rock edicts, and it mentioned a few in the western regions of the Empire were written in Greek. I know of the Hellenistic states succeeding Alexander in what is now Afghanistan, Pakistan, etc., but had always assumed that the "Greek" nature of these states was largely limited to a very small ruling elite.

When the Mongols conquered China they didn't impose Mongolian culture on the population--the cultural pressure went the other way. Same with the Qing, just as examples. I was trying to figure out exactly how "Greek" these parts of South Asia were. However, this bit in the Wiki article you linked answers my question about the prevalence of Greek in the region at that time:

quote:

Greeks first began settling the region long before Alexander conquered it. The Persian Empire had a policy of exiling rebelling Greek communities to that region long before it fell to Greek conquest. Therefore, it had a considerable Greek community that was expanded upon after Macedonian conquest.

Instead of being condescending you can try reading a bit more thoroughly and not overgeneralize an answer to someone's question.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Lead out in cuffs posted:

I dunno - the whole Turkic language group is pretty far from anything else that's been represented in Latin text. I don't think it's that surprising.

Probably splitting hairs here, but which is closer to Indo-European languages: the Turkish language family or Vietnamese? I have limited knowledge of Vietnamese as a language but "Nguyen" being pronounced "win" is very odd as a native English-speaker

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

euphronius posted:

This is the conclusion Beard came to after studying Pompeii . Most people could read

Writing was pretty common in public, right? Like not just monumental inscriptions but advertisements, etc. I would imagine a good chunk of the urban population picked up a little bit of literacy passively over the course of a lifetime. (I've never read the book you're referencing so apologies if this is what was covered)

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

euphronius posted:

Many of the slaves were educated too .

That much I knew, the wealthy had to have their mentats hanging around

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Koramei posted:

Eventually, but there were places it took a while. Chariots were associated with aristocratic prestige in early Warring States China whereas cavalry came from the barbarians; it took centuries for it to catch on.

I love the recurring theme throughout history of "there's this technologically superior thing the barbarians have that we could also have, but we won't because it's barbarous." Like pants.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

If u can build the pantheon u can put cheese n poo poo on bread

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

euphronius posted:

The library of Alexandria was probably one of the most important centers for big brains for hundreds of years

Built by Greeks though, yeah?

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

euphronius posted:

It’s literally in Egypt ?

Here is a big brain Egyptian https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eratosthenes

Well yeah, I inferred that poster was asking more about philosophers from the (more-) indigenous population and culture of Egypt.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I care a lot about ancient Egyptian philosophy/rhetoric, but it's one of those things I care about in a way I worry others find everything I want to say about it far less interesting than I do :lol:

1) pretty sure people reading the ancient history thread want to read about ancient history

2) we still have 227 pages to go before we reach the end of history and close/reboot the thread, so get postin'

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

My guess re: Polynesia is that migration was probably driven more by warfare than by trade. "Welp, that sure is a sharp axe you have, gotta run to the next island, bye"

Likely related, but I would think more population growth. Even the rocky islands have a tangibly finite amount of land and resources, once there's just a bit too many people for things to be comfortable you build some ships and get to sailin'.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

euphronius posted:

Different sides of the Congo right ?

Yeah. To the south they learned to solve their differences with loving; to the north, with beating the poo poo out of one another.

this is a half-joke based off what I've read while probably high on Wikipedia, be gentle on the "well, actually"ing

Judgy Fucker fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Aug 4, 2023

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

wofa deez nuts

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

euphronius posted:

I don’t know how much I trust Wikipedia anymore tho with the constant editing by … political …. Europeans

I don't know anything about this. Could you elaborate?

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

Sui is missing, I wish I knew Simpsons quotes to the level required to find one for them. Something about getting owned after making the same mistake over and over.

lmao efb

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

:five:

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Squizzle posted:

that is an ambitious reading of the text

Well, that's because the Gospels don't explain the context of why they were exchanging coins and selling doves and other animals in the Temple. Edgar Allan Ho is correct, the Temple had not become a shopping mall, people were selling animals to sacrifice during Passover because Jews from all across Judaea and further afield--who could not feasibly bring animals with them to Jerusalem--needed animals to sacrifice. And, as EAH said, it was blasphemous to use Roman coinage, so they had moneychangers to exchange Roman coins for acceptable Jewish ones. For a fee, of course. So Jesus was mad that people were profiting within and because of the Temple cult, but it wasn't like people were heading up to the Temple to buy new drip.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

skasion posted:

but even in Augustine’s day people apparently still believed Nero would be coming back at some point!

The Marble Neckbeard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Roman/ancient history: