Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I was watching Alien the other night. When they're discussing how to track it down, and Ash mentions that he's made a motion detector, Ripley immediately asks him how it works, and just for a moment he rolls his eyes as if she's too stupid to exist in his universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

Speaking of Hunchback, the gargoyles being alive only exists in Quasi's mind; we never see them active when anyone else is around. Which means that while Quasi might be a little nuts, he also defended the bell tower from everyone by his loving self.

Nah, you see Hugo shooting bullets down at people attacking the tower, and they react to it. I really like the idea those loving gargoyles aren't real but they totally are.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Wow, Some Like it Hot is one of my favourite movies and I'd missed like - all of that. I need to watch it again.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I like the stuff they found that was some little Viking kid's homework, with doodles of himself riding a horse and slaying people :3:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

The Flanders pigeon murderer!

Wipers Times posted:

Things We Want To Know
The name of the brunette infantry officer whose man got hold of the carrier pigeons, (sent to this celebrated Company Commander when his cornrnunications in the front line had broken down) and cooked them. Also who were his guests ?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Drunken Baker posted:

I read one of those comics and Nux as a baby... a literal baby... held onto the raising platform one time and he was brought into the Warboys as a "chosen outsider" because of how powerful his little baby arms were.

George Miller wrote it too.

My niece likes to grab hold of the door handle and her little baby arms are amazingly powerful so this is, in fact, awesome.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Android Apocalypse posted:

Annhilation does a really good job of being creepy & unsettling, keeping in tune with its theme of change. That bear scene will haunt me for a long time...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHc-O9MBGnw

:stare: fuckin hell that's creepy, I love it.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

They're just so hard to hate. Even when they're bad I find myself watching them fondly. I think seeing the sixth one first has warped my mind.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

In Winter Soldier there are some nice musical moments where Cap’s horns mingle with Bucky’s discordant howling theme.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

She’s an absolute treasure. My favourite performance of hers is in the miniseries ‘Exile’, playing the sister of John Simm’s character as they try to untangle a family mystery that only their Alzheimer’s-ridden father has the answer to. Jim Broadbent plays the dad and it’s probably a 7 out of 10 script with a 10 out of 10 cast.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

One of my favourite aspects to the whole thing is that Josh is very handsome and likeable, but also genuinely kind of stupid. Bless him.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I think it's worth drawing a distinction between someone's favourite movie, and the movie they think is the best. My favourite movie is Some Like It Hot but I don't think it's the best movie I ever saw. It's just the one I love most.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

syscall girl posted:

Talking to a clerk at Hollywood Video back in 199X I surmised only men and boys like this movie.

Girls don't see a lot of agency in it.

That being said, that movie is so quotable it's insane.

Like the cliffs.

Nah that's bullshit. I love it and so do all my friends.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

gently caress's sake it's funny either way

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Gejimayu posted:

Who would you recommend as a film maker that just makes movies that have a lot to unpack and reward multiple viewings?

Ben Wheatley.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I was just watching 'Friend Like Me' on youtube and noticed that the genie's pink zappy magic isn't just lines, or wavy lines, it's made to look a bit like Arabic script. Never noticed that before.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Also, a little note to anyone who's a parent, reading this; the guy who played Angelo is also the voice of Daddy Pig on 'Peppa Pig'.

I have young nieces and holy poo poo. Daddy Pig is the best, this is wonderful information.

e: holy poo poo it's the Dungeon Keeper guy! My life is complete

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I liked 'The End of the Whole Mess', I think that one had Ron Livingston. 'Crouch End' was hilaaariously bad though, trying to pass off a California suburb as London.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Silly Newbie posted:

I thought that was filmed in Australia?

You're probably right! I just know it didn't look like Crouch End.:)

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

My absolute favourite little thing about Muppet Christmas Carol, which is one of my favourite movies, is the decision to have Gonzo play the narrator and directly quote the book. The book is terrific and, unlike most Dickens, concise.

My second favourite thing is Rizzo saying "Thank you for making me a part of this" when Gonzo uses him as a window rag. I'm not hard to please.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Hearty agree. The decision to have Gonzo quote direct from Dickens makes it even better. I love that film and I think I'll watch it again right now.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Holy poo poo.

I need to see this version. I'm really only familiar with the Alistair Simms one (speaking of serious adaptions).

Looks like it's on youtube! A quick search will find it for you.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Holy poo poo.

I need to see this version. I'm really only familiar with the Alistair Simms one (speaking of serious adaptions).

Posting again to say I just watched it and it's really great. Recommend.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Part of my love for the Muppet one is that it does land pretty hard on the poverty theme, considering. You see the little bunny rabbit kid shivering in the freezing cold a few times.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

jojoinnit posted:

Interesting, I've only seen the first season and didn't think it took itself seriously at all!

Everyone hates on the first season and I really enjoyed it and the lighter tone is taking me some serious getting used to. But I will forgive a lot for Matt Letscher having fun as Eobard Thawne, speedster rear end in a top hat extraordinaire.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I'm sure I saw someone say exactly that about Fifth Element in a thread within the last week or so.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

More like oldshameless!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Cleretic posted:

But they never really give themselves enough creative room to make that casting choice work, it's still basically just Aladdin but with a slightly more feminist-friendly Jasmine, and very rarely you see a glimpse of a fun, interesting Fresh Prince Genie. Although that still puts it above the Lion King remake, because one squandered new idea is better than no new ideas at all.

Yeah, Will Smith as the Genie is an excellent choice and he does a fantastic job and is very charming and funny. It's even more impressive that the movie is such a nothing. It's not that it's awful. It's fine. Just - fine.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

TheKennedys posted:

Miss Peregrine was a decent premise tacked onto an aggressively mediocre movie that turned into a really stupid one. I kinda enjoyed the first half or so and the basic concept of the time loop and the peculiars before it got really dumb, it feels like Not Tim Burton could have taken it a lot more interesting places.

disclaimer, I haven't read the book so it could be equally dumb and unsalvageable, idk

I read the book a couple of years ago, I thought it was pretty good. They changed a lot for the movie and not in ways that made sense or improved anything.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Ferrule posted:

Stuff like this is always fascinating:

https://imgur.com/gallery/DKRQJvD

(it's the set from the Addams Family tv show)

Ooh hadn't seen this before, thanks!

My favourite movie of all time is Some Like It Hot which I seem to remember was in black and white because it made the makeup look better.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Michael Crichton killed Ian Malcolm in the first Jurassic Park book and then brought him back to life for the sequel. I assume it's because of the movie and Goldblum and all but I haven't checked, I just remember being mad about it as a kid.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I'll be that poster and point out that Bucky's murder of Tony's parents is given away in Winter Soldier, during the sequence with Cap and Natasha talking to Arnim Zola's tapedeck ghost. So it doesn't just pop up in Civil War. That's why when Tony asks Steve if he'd already known it, Steve says yes.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

It hasn't aged well but that was a good quality of How I Met Your Mother-- when someone says something funny the others laugh and act like they enjoy each other's company, in contrast with how the Friends act.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

The Ape of Naples posted:

I've never seen either but for some reason this remind me of Joker. I don't know why.

Joker clearly takes a lot of inspiration from King of Comedy so you're dead on there.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Movie piracy? Horrors!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Randalor posted:

When did they retcon Weyland-Yutani to "The corporation has always known about Xenomorphs and always wanted to try to tame the untameable killing machines for fun and profit stupid-rear end unexplained reasons? Was that just the AvP movies or did it happen earlier and I just blissfully forgot?

In the first Alien movie the whole plot is that Ash is required to bring an alien back to Earth so the corporation can study it / profit from it. I don't think it's explicit that they knew it was out there, but they diverted the Nostromo to go pick it up.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Jedit posted:

It wasn't a standing order, the Company explicitly knew there was an alien lifeform on LV-426. The evidence is that they replaced the Nostromo's science officer with Ash two days before it set off on its last voyage.

Ah thanks I had forgotten that detail.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I've heard cricket compared to Dungeons and Dragons; a game where different players on the same team have different goals, skillsets and methods to achieve them.

As a Brit who loves baseball I can assure you that cricket is much simpler than baseball but cloaks that simplicity in a lot of really intense terminology.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I've been watching Re-Animator a lot lately and nobody would call that movie subtle, but there are a lot of hilarious little performance touches because the actors are all amazing. Like, at the start when West is just blasting right into Dr Hill on first meeting him, Dan and Dr Halsey just kind of awkwardly exchange 'oh god this is really happening' glances. Or in the class scene where West snaps his pencil, and then pulls out a second pencil, Dan seated just behind him reacts with visible uncomfortable exasperation.

I heard a podcast say Bruce Abbott can't act and he's loving great in that movie. It's just hard to shine when Jeffrey Combs just danced off with your scene in his pocket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Strom Cuzewon posted:

It's a really underappreciated movie, and a really underappreciated role, yeah. I love that at no point does he ever say "I told you so! I loving told you so!". Just gets on with fixing the mess.

Hooray someone mentioned Sunshine it's time to watch it again!

I love that movie. The soundtrack is stunning. The Mercury transit scene is one of my favourite scenes in all cinema (I am a huge astronomy nerd).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYKq1qfdmWk