Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Might be notable that a lot of movies, especially adaptations, follow the 'disaster movie' formula when they seem unsure or ashamed of the actual draw of the movie; 90s Godzilla, the first Bayformers movie come to mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

mllaneza posted:

Yeah, it's homoerotic right in the text. No question about it. Good point about the nuclear family too.

Can only wonder where to start with Fury Road's sexual themes there.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It's a pretty common thing these days. Most kids are growing up with franchises almost a century old or more now, they're used to having to catch up to things as they go, and even kids' cartoons nowadays often have experienced older characters who the kids don't know a lot about. (Gravity Falls and the new DuckTales come to mind as emphasising that. Same team behind them, incidentally. Steven Universe too, the crew joke it's the sequel to an unmade romantic comedy called No Need For Greg)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

MichiganCubbie posted:

Check out The Venture Bros' episode "Escape from the House of Mummies Part 2." There wasn't a part one, and the entire episode is a continuing adventure that we never saw.

Not to mention the whole show is an implicit sequel to The Rusty Venture Show. (With Rusty being an erzatz Johnny Quest. Incidentally, Johnny Quest himself later known as 'Action Jonny', also shows up, being a contemporary of Rusty who got hosed up even worse) And there's repeated themes of a long history of questionable heroics and villainy mostly for entertainment purposes that the characters are just the latest generation of.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

For a certain definition of 'driveable' in some cases, apparently the tank treads ute was the most unreliable vehicle on the set.

The new Jumanji was interesting, and one of the first movies I've ever seen to actually do a decent job depicting video game cliches and quirks. (of course, there's plenty of things that don't quite make sense, but the game is literally probably sentient spiteful magic, so)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Smiling Jack posted:

Slit is meant to be the parallel then the opposite of Nux in every way. Compare their deaths and motivations for dying, as an example.

I've read elsewhere that Slit and Nux are basically set up as a Goofus and Gallant type duo, demonstrating that even within Immortan Joe's hosed up society there's good and bad people. Slit is resentful and insults the fallen, Nux is actually friendly even with the blood-bag who's trying to kill him.

Samovar posted:

To be sure, the cut scenes with their story conclusions aren't well paced.

Huh, I'll have to see those. I figured most of the extended cast was mangled to bits in the huge implied pile-up in the canyon at the end.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I think the War Boys are meant to be Immortan Joe's gimmick, dozens of expendable children raised into a culture where they're expected to die in his service and see it as the greatest honour. There seems to be kind of a theme of him perverting and enslaving life and nature, with his harem of overweight sex slaves and literal milking cows in a world where everyone is starving and lucky to get the bare minimum, and so on.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

*shakes little furry dick at the mirror*
mon OOOCHA. OOOchaaaaa.

Now I can't stop giggling at the idea of a Philip Seymour Hoffman Ewok crying and calling himself an idiot in a landspeeder.

EDIT: How do you say "MY WIFE IS IN THE DRIVEWAY WITH AN rear end IN HER COCK" in Ewokese anyway?

The Ewoks have dozens of words to describe this.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The Star Wars Holiday Special is the first piece of the Expanded Universe

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

HopperUK posted:

My niece likes to grab hold of the door handle and her little baby arms are amazingly powerful so this is, in fact, awesome.

:3: Canon by test of baby hands.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Sunswipe posted:

Dr Aldi. He's just as villainous as Dr Doom, but much cheaper.

This was a Kim Possible villain, Frugal Lucre, the cheapest supervillain in the world.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Blast Fantasto posted:

Marvel also has a Hatemonger. They love their mongers, for sure.

Who may have been a clone of Hitler, iirc.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Well, you can't say all that effort didn't pay off.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Butterflies are usually super symbolic in everything I see them in.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

They made a cartoon, you know.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Which I quite enjoyed.

It was pretty ludicrous, but that was actually pretty fitting. They fought actual supervillains, which is also oddly fitting.

Is the time ripe for a Police Academy reboot? And the villain protagonist one, Crime Academy.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Which one was Tackleberry?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Jaws iirc famously had its tone shifted mid-development because the mechanical shark prop they had really sucked, so they couldn't rely on good shark shots and added more plot to fill the time instead. (they also use some stock footage, iirc)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Everyone forgets the dude's a sickly kid from Brooklyn. I like the joke that Peter Parker technically doesn't lie to Aunt May about how he got into a fight with a guy from Brooklyn and his huge friend.

Also, when introduced to another Peter, Peter Quill, Tony Stark immediately defaults to calling him 'Quill'.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Seems fitting that the makers of the Grand Theft Auto games are based in Britain.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Biplane posted:

I always thought that was one of the more contrived aspects of those movies.

I thought it was implied that Peter used the spider as inspiration for his costume. (of course, they gloss over how he actually made the costume)

Davros1 posted:

Yeah, apparently one of the reasons JJ keeps him around is that he's the only one who can regularly get pics of Spider-Man

Spider-Man is probably almost Batman tier in impossible to get decent photos of, just look at the way he moves around.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Inzombiac posted:

Some people think text and subtext are the same thing.

Like I always say, subtlety is for the weak.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

BiggerBoat posted:

Pretty sure that was a set up for The Leader and, yeah, that's a dangling plot thread I wish they'd use. Along with the contaminated soda or beer or whatever it was.

That was Stan Lee.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Stark Industries seems to have plenty of fingers in engineering, I imagine they make shitloads of construction, robotics and industrial factory equipment, as well as the defense contracts being the above-mentioned license to print money. (and they've been making weapons for Uncle Sam since WW2 and all) Possibly software as well.

And a lot about the Vulture makes sense when from the surface he seems like a down on his luck guy trying to feed his family, on a closer look, being a petty bourgeois maintaining his societal status through criminality and violence is almost textbook origins of fascism. Though I must admit I love that his operation is basically garage X-COM. (even more fitting given one of the best ways to make money in the original is to mass-produce laser cannons to sell to whoever wants them)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

mojo1701a posted:

I still love that the fringe on his leather jacket is similar to that of a vulture.

I was surprise it wasn't spelled out that Toomes used to be a fighter pilot. Maybe used the same wingsuits as Falcon.

On an unrelated (possibly) note, I watched Yellow Submarine recently. Notable that, for a caricature of ivory tower university intellectuals whose rhetoric and ideas have no relevance to anyone who needs it, the Nowhere Man is, after only a brief time hanging with the Beatles, capable of utterly deconstructing the Blue Meanies and convincing them to abandon their defeated fascist ways and joining the Pepperland counterculture, that their authoritarianism is that fragile and hollow that the ideas of relaxed acceptance and freedom are capable of reforming fascists into people capable of rejoining society.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Nah, it's pretty much entirely pointless in context. Also CGI gophers.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Who the heck would you get to play a cool greaser nowadays? Really, the whole archetype seems like it'd have trouble getting off the ground presented unironically, everyone loves characters presented with at least a charming level of awkwardness.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Not Operator posted:

I don't know who could play a cool greaser, I just know we shouldn't have let Milhouse try.

Jiminy jilickers!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Some prominent Punisher arcs have been about murdering Klansmen, slavers and crooked cops, I'm pretty sure.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Krispy Wafer posted:

Realizing that you don't have to follow the rules is a superpower all it's own.

Which reminds me of the Malvo character in the Fargo TV series who essentially has superpowers because he just doesn't care about consequences and will straight up murder you. Also, always have a plan.

Supervillain types I figure avoid the Punisher specifically because the Punisher is a terrifyingly competent murder machine who has even odds of catching them with a bullet to the head as they do of blasting his head off or dropping a building on him or whatever. Like Batman who's willing to kill.

IIRC, wasn't the Punisher's first appearance (or at least a prominent one) him showing up in a Spider-man comic as a gun-toting vigilante who was going after Spider-man for yet another wrongful accusation? And being a dude with a bunch of guns he still put up a pretty good fight against Spider-man, who has one of the most versatile and effective powersets of mid-range superheroes.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Punisher's one of the biggest cases where most of a character's 'fans' know him from reputation and adaptations rather than the actual comics, basically.

Fake geek reactionaries.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Aphrodite posted:

Literally all of those guys are back now.

Basically it was the Superman Red and Superman Blue all over again. Or Azrael, Reign of the Supermen, Teen Tony, Artemis, Frog Thor...

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Ferrule posted:

Last year Cap was secretly a member of Hydra (so, a nazi) and it pissed lots of people off. He took over the country and imposed facist rule and then like all things turns out he wasn't the real cap and everything is back to status quo.

It sadly was an arc already written before things went tits-up in the real world and it was serridipidous.

It's been that way since his re-boot in the 60's.

They basically already did that in a alternate universe story where Cap was revived in the 60s where another person had taken up the Captain America mantle and was basically leading America into a fascist state, and the original Cap beat the poo poo out of the imposter and gave that famous speech about how America's ideals are the only thing that gives the country and flag meaning, otherwise it's just another empire.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Patattack posted:

After the events of Avengers 2, Tony has finally realized that while he has the resources to do whatever he's deemed The Right Thing To Do, there are always consequences that he has to take responsibility for--in this case, the deaths in Sokovia. He feels guilty about this, so he's supporting the Accords as a way of removing himself from blame: if the Avengers are only deployed because the government has deemed it appropriate, then any negative impact of their heroics is the fault of the government, not Tony. I think it makes sense.

Pretty much, Tony is basically having an ongoing on-off emotional breakdown through pretty much the latter half of the Marvel movies dealing with the responsibilities of his power. It's basically him going the other way after having proudly answered to no one for the first half of the movies, he doesn't know how to reign himself in.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Mark Ruffalo even had nearly all non-Hulk screentime in Infinity War, though. Even if he did embarrass Tony in front of the wizards.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

AnonSpore posted:

In the movies he was pretty much just as weird before the experiments and megacancer as he was after

Eh, he went up to 11 after the experiment and started breaking the fourth wall. Wade's backstory is varied to say the least in the comics (ask 3 people and you'll get 4 different answers) but he was usually nuts to some degree even before the megacancer and healing factor combo.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Straight White Shark posted:

The change is there, but it ramps up gradually and they really blurred it by introducing Deadpool narrating over his own past.

I may have mentioned, but a fun subtle moment of sorts is looking at scenes where Deadpool is talking to people and realising how much of what he says is utter nonsense, open insults, or utter nonsense that they can probably figure out is meant to be an insult.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Actually kind of fitting with his usual comics characterisation, which kind of makes the Juggernaut extra scary; he simply doesn't care about anything in between him and his goal, and he's a perfectly rational and sane magically empowered human being otherwise... who simply enjoys utterly annihilating whatever pisses him off and exercising his immense power. (which suits his patron god of destruction Cyttorak nicely) He's unstoppable not just because he's invincible, incredibly strong, and doesn't need food, water, air or sleep, but he also can't be reasoned with or appealed to his better nature, he does what he does because he wants to. In a way, worse than the Hulk.

And it should say something that he respects the kid's attitude and they get along; the Juggernaut is the perfect role model for a furious mutant who wants brutal revenge on those who've tortured him for nothing more than being what he is- the mutant they fear and hate.

Though don't forget he does literally rip Deadpool in half and probably isn't aware (and likely doesn't care) that Deadpool can survive that.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Especially funny given, I'm pretty sure most people know, but the Juggernaut is voiced and mocapped by Ryan Reynolds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

peer posted:

is there a superhero whose power is extreme bad luck for both themselves and anyone around them, like a low-luck character in fallout 1 & 2? Because I'd want to see a movie about that

Basically the premise of Milo Murphy's Law, kinda. Spends most of his time dealing with his own shenanigans, but it actually comes in handy during a challenge or crisis because poo poo goes wrong equally for everyone in his general vicinity, but Milo has spent his life learning to prepare for it.

Krispy Wafer posted:

So how do you beat Domino?

Like if multiple terrible things are about to happen to her, would her luck pick the least bad one even if it was still pretty awful or is it literally impossible to hurt her? Are there any Genie-3-wishes gotchas that could negatively impact her?

She did go 'I'm staying far away from that' when Juggernaut showed up. I think her power is specifically luck and taking advantage of things left up to chance, but you can't beat the Juggernaut by getting lucky. And she does actually carry guns and hit people and stuff, so obviously it doesn't come effortlessly. Be properly prepared for anything and there's only so much she can do. It helps that she's with Deadpool, who general MO is to cause total chaos by being unpredictable and having absolutely no regard for his own safety. (and little for that of others)

Kind of the reason why Deadpool has an exaggerated healing factor and frequently demonstrates it is because he can be the subject of bloody slapstick. (Well, after he became more than a Deathstroke knockoff with Wolverine knockoff stapled on)