Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
qirex
Feb 15, 2001

portapros are good $35 headphones but they're stupid ugly and leak sound

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Mister Snips posted:

it never ceases to amaze me how the absolutele worst furry/anime/mlp idiot fans acknowledge and make fun of the horrible people in their fanbase as if acknowleding that there are worse people than them in the fanbase excuses their creepy weirdness, and yet they are exactly the group they are making fun of to excuse themselves

the no true brony fallacy

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Powercrazy posted:

The main part of the Steam Punk aesthetic has nothing to do with the steam part. It's the rich Victorian Aesthetic with the birth of crude machine tools (gears, paddle-boats, etc) that marked the beginning of the Industrial Revolution.

That said, most of the "true" engineers I've met do have an appreciation for the complexity of modern machines, myself included.

Turbo Charger's are loving awesome!

steampunk is popular because nerds like girls in corsets and will dress all sorts of silly ways to hang out with them [see also: goths]

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

a good kickstarter

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/461546383/inspirational-tom-hanks-statue

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

poty posted:

did anyone get into the app.net one

that's the social network made up exclusively of white nerds, right?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

if you're into nerdy white dudes I guess that's good

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

hm, nobody funded me, it couldn't possibly be because my idea is terrible and as a result it's impossible to communicate its value proposition clearly...

nah haters just be hating

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Werthog posted:

dammit i came in here to post some comedy gold and apparently a Thing happened

here it is anyway, whatever, idfc

this is actually really cool as a pure design exercise, it's a vehicle that could be shipped fully assembled by a conventional delivery service instead of a cargo carrier but like most design exercises it should probably have stayed as such

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Ian McLean posted:

It would be nice if there was an actual setup like kickstarter except for using equity raising.

Someone would have to get a bunch of legal/IBanking consulting on some standard equity offering forms to validate equity is actually being given to those investors funding projects.

Kickstarter Clone + Prefab Equity Agreements = New IPO Fundraising Mechanism.

people are working on stuff like this but there's a shitload of regulatory hoops to jump through, I think one will be out in Europe before the US

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

it's funny they ended up using a cheap transreflective LCD instead of e-ink considering the original headline of their kickstarter was "Pebble: E-Paper Watch for iPhone and Android"

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

maniacdevnull posted:

wait its not eink?

then what's the loving point?

"ha ha we got 9 million dollars"

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

As for the screen itself, I would call it just okay: Pebble calls it "e-paper," but it’s really a 114 x 168 "transflective" LCD that’s designed for watches. It’s functional, but ultimately it’s a low-resolution black and white LCD, and low-resolution black and white LCDs are not renowned for their beauty. It’s also covered by a curved plastic lens that can reflect light in weird ways — it’s not a huge problem at all, but you’ll notice it from time to time.

The screen itself always has content on it, whether it’s the time, the music player, or a notification, and it’s fairly readable in daylight without the backlight on. But the backlight makes a big difference: when it’s off, the screen is roughly black and white, in the same way a Nook or Kindle screen is roughly black and white. But incoming notifications and particularly fast movements trigger the backlight, which adds an unexpected bluish tint to the screen. It works fine, but there’s no way for it to feel super-premium if the screen looks cheap — the experience here is fundamentally all about the display, after all. I hope Pebble finds a better part the next time around.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

there's only two good e-ink watches and they're made by seiko and one costs $450-600 and the other costs $900-1000

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

It looks a lot better without a bunch of red arrows pointing at it.

otoh

there's also special anime versions :keke:

also, I'm very disappointed in you all for not being able to make ian ragequit yet

qirex fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jan 29, 2013

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

reading Ian's posts is like watching a goldfish trying to swim through the wall of its aquarium, forever

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

sports posted:

i h8 ur av

it's just a robot man

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

:staredog:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I kicksharted some card game and they send out a long-winded update email every single day

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

these people just kickstarted 800 grand for a hot glue gun

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Sweevo posted:

why do people think they can throw a few MAME cabs into a lovely bar and then bathe in money?

why do people think they can open a bar in a metropolitan area for $7,500?

edit: looks like these dudes are committing the most common kickstarter mistake, promising too good swag at too low levels, even if engraved flasks cost $10 each it's still going to cost $3-4 to mail them oh hey there goes $30% of your money

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Install Gentoo posted:

those offset watchband designs super suck

agreeing with fishmech :wth:

also those corners sticking out are going to get caught on stuff, your wrist is a joint not an equal width section of pipe

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Update #8 · Aug. 10, 2012 · 7 comments

I've just launched the playable demo with 3 playable levels at http://ronpaulroadtorevolution.com

I realize i'm a month late getting a playable demo online. I apologize for that, and the only thing I can say to that is that this project is by far the most ambitious project I've ever done. Things have taken a lot more than I expected to get off the ground.

That being said, I'll be releasing a few new levels each week until all 50 are live, along with the Federal Reserve boss fight levels.

Update #9 · Jan. 28, 2013 · 1 comment

I've been trying to figure out what to say for quite a long time. I guess today I've realized I probably will never come up with the perfect thing to say.

The t-shirt situation was a nightmare that I'm still dealing with to try and get a refund for. I've been working on getting new shirts printed and expect to have them soon. I have delayed posting anything because I have had no good news and I hate making excuses.

The game has been on hold for a while now because I started running into all sorts of issues with the engine and browser compatibility. I ran out of funding rather more quickly than I had anticipated, and now intend to fund the game with my own money.

I'm in a pretty decent place now, where I am making enough money to hire the help that I need to tackle this project, and expect to resume development immediately in February.

I realize all of my mistakes in not being more forthcoming, or offering full disclosure. While I proceed with development, I will open up with a project schedule on the main site, http://ronpaulroadtorevolution.com , to keep everyone in the loop.

I welcome any offers of help with development. I have had a very difficult time finding coders to assist me.

If any of you would rather receive a refund than your backer rewards, please contact me: daniel@ronpaulswag.com , and I will take care of it. This whole situation was definitely not how I intended it to be.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

something awful is simply the medium of a life wasted, if not for this site I doubtless would have found some other way to avoid doing my work on the internet

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

SHAM BAM BAMINA posted:

"gently caress you poors, if the government spends money on you it makes it harder for rationally self-interested individuals like myself to hoist themselves by their bootstraps. you don't need help, you need to loving work."

"PLEASE WON'T SOMEBODY HELP ME CODE THIS RON PAUL GAME THAT I KICKSTARTERED IT'S REALLY REALLY IMPORTANT AND I CAN'T FINISH IT WITHOUT YOU"

you will note a common theme among the randian supermen of america and that is that they've never actually tried anything, their excuse is always that conditions are too regulated or business hostile or whatever for them to become rich and make it but in reality they're all just pussies

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

theadder posted:

what is neogaf
it's like a super turbosperg version of the games forum

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I think kickstarter's "we are not a store" thing a few monts back was an attempt to get in front of that

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Chunk posted:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pennyarcade/penny-arcades-podcast-downloadable-content-the-ret

apparently it costs $10 to make a podcast but $19,990 to make a theme song

these new $10 goal kickstarters have turn KS into indiegogo

someone has already pledged $500 to have them say their name on a podcast

this is after they successfully raised half a million dollars last year to keep doing their comic

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

yeah they're just doing their thing but asking for money like that seems gauche

I wonder how much $$$ they make off of PAX, I think there's 3 of them a year now and they sell out instantly

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

MindSet posted:

Donald Trump started a Kickstarter ripoff

http://www.fundanything.com/en

lmao

set one up to buy a billboard facing Trump Tower that says "Barack Obama was born in Hawaii you idiot racists"

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Kickstarters aren't all bad:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/imaginationstation/detroit-needs-a-statue-of-robocop/posts/479137

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

bronze sculpture is stupidly labor intensive and I'm impressed they can do one that big from scratch for that little money

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'm going to name my 7 disc PUA DVD series "Crystal Rapport"

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I have an awesome stacked plywood nightstand made by that goon who was on battlebots but whose name I can't remember

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

WorkingPeer posted:

yeah, they're pretty damned good. i am also partial to chilango, insofar as its a blatant but better-executed ripoff of chipotle (albeit without goddamned corn salsa :argh:)
I went to some chain mexican in London I think it was near blackfriars or embankment and it was horrid

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

quote:

having sex with birds up for it is NOT a crime.
:parrot:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

waah they're not respecting our ~*secuction community culture*~ :mad:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Al! posted:

imagine a version of feminism where it really was women's fault all along

http://www.sfexaminer.com/sanfrancisco/why-some-women-use-grindr-to-play-games-with-gay-men/Content?oid=2477229

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Kristen Schall even managed to suck the fun out of "Archer" which even Anthony Bourdain couldn't manage

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Dead Inside Darwin posted:

wait what

oh poo poo im behind

she was the helicopter pilot in the finale and she wasn't terrible but it could ahve been anybody

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Proteus4994 posted:

i remember for years thinking david cross was the funny one in mr show but watching what david cross and bob odenkirk are doing now i realize how horribly wrong i was

david cross is always around funny people/things so you might think he's funny but he's just bottled awkward [which is why he worked well on AD]

• Locked thread