Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Renters insurance question - I brought this question up in this thread.

Bedbugs.

My question is this: vermin is typically not covered under rental insurance. My concern is if I ever bring bedbugs back to my apartment, don't discover them in time, and it causes an infestation to spread, and my landlord sues me for damages outside of my apartment. (To be fair, this is probably less likely since I am more aware of the risks, know to report a suspected problem immediately (instead of waiting or trying to fix it myself), and my landlord knows how to respond.)

Is there any part of renters insurance coverage that would protect me in that situation, maybe even something like umbrella coverage for personal liability? I've heard of some lawsuits and cleanup costs exceeding $100k. (Those are probably pretty rare, but it would absolutely suck to be sued into bankruptcy over bringing home a little bug.)

If you're curious, no, I have no current problem, nor do I expect to have a problem, but I just like to keep my bases covered. And those little bastards are everywhere in Ohio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Jastiger posted:

As far as I know this isn't something that would be your fault unless it was proven that you specifically did something to allow in bedbugs.However, as far as damage to your stuff, I'm not familiar with any policy that explicitly covers bedbugs. Since you're in Ohio, I'd hit up a broker and ask them if they have specific coverages for that, but I'm thinking not. Keep in mind that a basic renters policy would protect you for any damage to the rental property, so if you were found liable for bed bugs, it should cover you unless otherwise stated. Make sure you get a "Special" coverage policy, as any reputable company offers.

Wouldn't I also be able to claim, assuming I notified them immediately, that I did everything I could to contain it? (This wouldn't be bulletproof, but I think it's a drat good point from a legal standpoint.) Plus, that's true as well that for all I know I could have picked one up in the hall, laundry room, and soforth. I don't think CSI could determine exactly where a bedbug came from.

What confused me was the fact that "vermin" wasn't covered under the policy. So that means damage to my personal items from vermin aren't covered, but if I'm sued for damage from vermin, I would be covered for liability? (Am I following this right?)

What is the "Special" coverage policy? I Googled that, and I can't determine what that exactly is.

I can see this becoming an additional point of coverage in the next few years.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Renters insurance: I currently have State Farm. Haven't had any issues with them, but of course I have never had a claim for anything like burglary and whatnot.

I've been told that having photographs or video or serial numbers written down on stealable goods (computers, cameras) is a good idea. I'm thinking about taking an inventory of everything that's worth more than $50 and keeping that inventory and photos/videos at my parents house in their safe. Are there any other things that are good to have just in case you ever do get burglarized?

For anyone who has had their house burglarized or car stolen, what was the process like? My understanding is you file a police report, call the insurance agent, and they sit down with you and go over what happened, and if your claim isn't rejected, you get a check for the replacement value (depends on the policy) of goods stolen.

I've also seen some "Channel 5 On Your Side" style videos about people who have had their insurance claim denied. Where the insurers talk about "red flags" that cause serious problems or claims to be denied. What are those flags? My understanding is that things like criminal records and bad credit are what can cause serious roadblocks. I'd be interested in hearing about this from the insurer's side and their view.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 23:43 on May 22, 2013

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Is it possible to get insurance coverage (auto in particular) at reasonable rates if you have a frozen credit file?

My understanding is that if your credit file is frozen, which most insurance underwriters check, they assume you have no or super-awful credit and your rates can double or triple or they may just cancel your coverage even if you're a good, long term customer with few or no claims or black marks.

Also there are a few states where it's verboten for an insurer to use a credit check as part of underwriting full-stop. I do not live in one of those states.

I did talk to my insurance provider (agents for a very major national provider) about this. They were dumbfounded, had no idea this even was a thing, and after some research on their side, their response was arguably "Yeah with us this will probably cause your rates to skyrocket, every other insurance company does this, we do understand your concerns and appreciate your business. With that said, please go eat s***."

I'm just interested if other companies treat this differently or even if they (the people I talked to) were full of crap.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jun 13, 2016

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
No I understand. I see tons of people yelling about getting your credit frozen to prevent identity theft, but this is one of the biggest and I mean a massive caveat that they fail to mention every time.

Insurance companies have said there is a statistical link between really bad credit and bad driving, and that seems to be something that could be demonstrated and it makes sense.

My carrier does run a check using one of the big three about 45 days before the renewal occurs, so a compromise may just be to thaw the freeze during that time period, or simply not doing a credit freeze on that CRA that the insurance company uses.

What are the biggest caveats of those "nonstandard" providers? (Cost, quality, etc?)

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Gotcha - that all makes sense. Thanks for the lowdown on all of this.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Does having an agent really matter to be honest? It's not like they can pull strings to help you out, at least from what I've seen.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
That is true I have been given good advice in the past now that I think about it.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Jastiger posted:

Any company that is going to be decent is going to vet your credit, that is just unavoidable. There ARE companies that don't do this, or waive it. Companies like The General, SafeAuto, and other non standard carriers. YOu can get legal insurance but you'll probably have a terrible time of it, especially if you DO have good credit and its just being ignored.

ALso look at it from an insurance point of view. Why DO you have a frozen credit file? It just screams bad insurance risk (nothing personal!).

Update - I did a little searching and I think that my insurance agent is badly misinformed and didn't actually discuss this with the underwriting department. (They were absolutely dumbfounded when I asked them about the credit freeze.)

With a credit freeze on my state, insurers can still access a credit file, it's a specific exception for underwriting purposes. They can at least get a credit score if not access to a whole report. I believe this applies to many other states as well to prevent a SNAFU where the insurer jacks up the rates of someone who has a frozen credit report.

After a lot of searching I've also not heard of anyone getting hammered due to a frozen credit report in itself - the problems were people who already had really bad credit.

My state also has some laws that say if there is an error or fraud on a credit file, the underwriter has to take that into account or re-run a credit check. (It's more complicated than that, I am paraphrasing like mad.)

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Wickerman posted:

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I thought from your A/T about power that you were in Ohio? C/D?

Yeah it's Ohio. :shrug:

Here's there document they made involving insurance and credit:
https://insurance.ohio.gov/Newsroom/Tips/Documents/CreditScore.pdf

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jul 12, 2016

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Wickerman posted:

drat, I learned something new. I didn't think my insurance carrier looked at my credit report, but apparently they're obligated to by law! Thanks for sharing.

I am pretty sure insurance carriers don't HAVE to look at someone's credit scores when underwriting but many do.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Just a quick question - is about $90/month a very good rate for car (a 2012 econobox) and renters insurance?

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Ohio

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I have a general renters insurance question.

Does renters insurance generallycover accidents that could result in damages to the property caused by the tennant? Examples would be:

- Tenant forgets to shut off iron and causes a small fire resulting in $10k of damage to the apartment
- Tenant is clumsy when moving a bookcase and shatters a patio window that needs to be replaced for $500
- Tenant's waterbed (assuming the lease is OK with them) breaks and ruins carpet and wall trim, requires $2500 to repair
- Tenant's 20-gallon aquarium air pump backflows and dumps 15 gallons onto the carpet, remediation costs $500

As part of my rental agreement my landlord is listed as a party who gets contacted if something happens like I cancel my renters insurance. Having renters insurance is part of the lease agreement.

I know that insect infestations (bedbugs) are NOT covered.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Oct 9, 2016

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
The one thing I've got to be careful about is he flooding/water damage to the apartment. But I'm assuming if there is a problem like a leak, I report it, and things get worse or it causes damage, it's the apartments fault, not mine. Especially if I've done due diligence to bring it to their attention. (I have a leaking faucet that drips or even trickles and I'm convinced it's going to end up flooding my apartment. That might be OCD or just plain delusional, not to get too E/N here though.)

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Yeah I just noticed that - I didn't realize how much Renters covers besides standard "my stuff got stolen/burned". Especially the liability aspects.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Jastiger posted:

Did you read the OP?

Not as closely as I should have.

Anyhow one other thing- I am looking to replace my little old econobox with a small SUV. I ask for a quote from my insurance provider and insuring the new car is actually about $15/mo cheaper than my older car.

This new vehicle does have a ton of safety features like lane assist, automatic braking, and the backup camera. I am guessing that those safety features probably have to do with why a more expensive vehicle is cheaper to insure. (Totaling a car with no injuries is a $25k-ish loss, running down into a child errantly running out into the street and paralyzingly them is a hell of a lot more money. And I'm not sure I'd be able to handle that especially if it was my fault.)

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

LongDarkNight posted:

Yup, a new car can be cheaper to insure just on the improved safety to yourself and others. Cars are cheap, people aren't.

Yeah I am looking at the Hybrid RAV4. I actually carefully tried the lane assist feature where my hands were just barely off the wheel and the car beeped at me and steered the car back into the lane. That's pretty amazing.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
One of my friends has a relative with a 2010-ish SUV that basically got t-boned by a massive dumptruck. He ended up with traumatic brain injury but miraculously recovered with no significant long-term issues. Without the side-curtain airbags he almost certainly would have died. (My understanding when the first responders got there, there was a "Holy crap, he's ALIVE!" reaction.)

I was told the manufacturer paid good money to buy the wreckage from the insurance company, as they were surprised that anyone survived that sort of impact and wanted to study it.

It's amazing to think that in ten or 20 years a fatal accident can turn into one people can walk away from.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I am looking at buying an AWD hybrid vehicle - a major caveat is that towing the vehicle without a flatbed or a dolly can cause serious damage to the hybrid system, I'm talking over $5k to fix.

Am I correct that this would be covered under "comprehensive" insurance, and would apply even if the towing was due to a claim of illegal parking?

(Awhile back I did confirm that if my car was on a ferry, and the ferry sank and my car ended up at the bottom of Lake Erie, the car would be totaled and covered under comprehensive.)

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Nov 15, 2016

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
There was a couple of incidents I've heard of where people drove their vehicles out onto the Lake Erie ice and ended up with their vehicles on the bottom.

I take it that's one of those "Here's your insurance money, now GET OUT" (policy cancellation) incidents?

"Yeah uh it's the car on my policy... the Chavelle. Yeah. Well it was being transported on a boat... Well it went overboard... uh some place called Marianas, near Guam..."

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Nov 17, 2016

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Got a hypothetical car insure question: let's say you have an AWD vehicle that ends up getting towed (could be illegal parking, breakdown, etc.) When you get the car back it's clearly been damaged by the towing company, probably by not using a flatbed. (Or hell, any damage to a car caused by towing.)

Who would you contact first about this? Your insurance company, the towing company, or both?

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jan 23, 2017

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

therobit posted:

Why did you get towed?

Parking across two handicapped spots and part of a tree lawn. Didn't even get the drat AirPods.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I know nobody here is a lawyer but I might've gotten banged for passing a school bus with the stop arm deployed - I was heading toward the bus and as I was passing it the arm started to deploy and the bus driver honked at me.

I have no points on my license and no prior record. Assuming the driver has my number and it goes to court, how badly is this going to hike up my insurance rates?

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Pryor on Fire posted:

lol no bus driver gives enough of a poo poo to call the police and narc out your license plates and if they did your local police would laugh and hang up on them I think you need to lay off the chronic your points are fine.

Ohhhhh yes they have! It may not be everyone but in Ohio they can get descriptions and license plate numbers and pass that onto police who can press charges.

In the City of Cleveland it's actually a first degree misdemeanor to pass a stopped school bus. ($1000 fine and/or up to six months in prison as well.)

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I have renters insurance but I don't think it has HO-208 endorsement. That's for like flooding from a sewer or drain backing up. I am paying like $150/6mo now, does anyone know roughly how much a HO-208 endorsement for like $10k or $5k would cost?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Jastiger posted:

Probably like 8 bucks or so, if that.

Oh hell I'll get two of them.