Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Agesilaus posted:

It's a shame the new total war is just a rehash of rome; they should have picked a more interesting time period, like the fifth and fourth century hellenic world.

I dunno, a whole game based on the Hellenic world during the Persian War and Peloponnesian War would be pretty boring. It works fine as a mods or maybe even as DLC, but I don't think a game with a dozen different Greek factions with different skins for their hoplites is something that tons of people would be clamoring to buy. It's an interesting part of history but it doesn't make for a very interesting game.

Maybe if you started just before the fall of Assyria at the end of the seventh century, say 610 BC and ended just before the rise of Macedonia, maybe 350 BC. Or you could go even further, maybe for fun you can have the Macedonian invasions be a world event like the Mongols in Medieval. You could have Assyria itself, the factions which eventually became the Persian empire but were still subjects to the Assyrians at the time (Persia, Media, Babylon, Lydia, etc), plus the nomads to the north/east (Saka, Sogdians, Bactrians, etc), plus the various Greek poleis, Egypt, maybe even India and Italy. I think the problem with this (huge) period of history is while it would be interesting and cool for big history nerds like us, your average person would be all like "well why didn't they just make Rome, you could still have all these factions and more, plus a bigger map"

Plus it's pretty silly to say that any timer period is "more interesting" than another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Yeah, every other city getting burned to the ground and everyone killed. Entire populations being relocated on the whims of the conquerors. It would definitely make for an interesting game.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Take the hill with enormous casualties or die trying.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I find I take way more casualties when I auto-resolve, unless my troops significantly outnumber or are way more experienced than the enemy.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
The Seleucids in vanilla RTW could get "Silver Shield" legionaries, and I think there were a few other factions that could get imitation legionaries as well.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Lemon Curdistan posted:

That's the only part that's a shame, because a game based entirely on the Sundering and the War of the Beard would be great.

I dunno, I got tired of the Sundering after two successful campaigns (one as Nagarythe and one as Saphery) just because all the armies are basically the same except for a few units. You can even hire the more unique units from each faction as mercenaries so there doesn't seem to be much point in playing again.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

concerned mom posted:

This doesn't really bear any relevance to TotalWar other than I found it on the TotalWar Reddit but I thought it was really interesting and very well done so maybe think of this next time you see your little men fighting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkhpqAGdZPc

That was really cool, thanks for sharing!

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Playing at the Teutonic Order on Stainless Steel VH/VH... Jesus Christ :stare:. I'm lucky if I make it to turn 20 between Poland, Denmark, Lithuania, and Novgorod trying to smash my two settlements immediately.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
You can also hold shift and the markers will show up until you release the key

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I wonder if you'll be able to trade regions. I don't remember if you could do that in Shogun 2. Anyway, the reason I bring it up is that in Medieval and Rome I liked to build small little allied buffer states between myself and other empires for no real reason other than I found it amusing to watch them get crushed. Sometimes they actually did their job well and for that I would reward them by crushing them with my armies before taking on the other empire.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Grand Prize Winner posted:

So I'm having trouble with M2: the HRE keeps declaring peace on me. Like, we're at war, and when a turn passes they're neutral, and I never agreed to anything. What the poo poo?

If they ally with someone you are allied with then you automatically become neutral.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I really want this game, but I'd probably have to get a dedicated gaming rig since my laptop can really only handle Shogun 2 on low settings as it is. Medieval 2 runs great though, which is still one of my favorites because of all the mods.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Tuxedo Jack posted:

A Game of Thrones Total War would be pretty great. The CK2 mod is fun, but the actual battles in the TW engine would be amazing.

You could try the Westeros: Total War mod. I don't remember if its done, it wasn't last time I played/checked their site, but you can play one of the beta versions. The map is done and there's lot of interesting character traits and ancillary bonuses.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I like to select all my units at once and order them to charge the enemy general in a giant blob.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Epinephrine posted:

Also appearing: "romulus." I'm totally rooting for some Star Trek: Total War now, if only to see their fanbase sperg over the improper placement of star systems in the galaxy.

FAKE_EDIT: Oh god, the more I think about it the more that could actually work if was set during the TNG era.

Or, you know, the legendary founder of Rome.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
If the game doesn't include hero units no one will care, but if it does include hero units a lot of dorks will get angry and pissed off. So I'm hoping it does include hero units/generals.

Also a lot of the actual Romance of the Three Kingdoms was explicitly "And then this dude killed, fuckin, 1,000 guys in the battle" so it's not like they're even deviating from the source material.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

CharlestheHammer posted:

I don't care for it and am making my opinion known in a thread about doing that. I'm not even mad really.

What's so hard to get? I mean I could obsess over however TWcenter is reacting if that makes you feel better.

It's not hard to get. It's just funny that you'd write off an entire game in a series you're presumably a fan of because of a single feature. It reminds me of a small child who won't eat dinner because there's broccoli on the plate.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

CharlestheHammer posted:

Eh I don't think heroes are something you can just ignore if they go the warhammer route.

Unless they do them like Agents which actually would make a lot of sense. Champions already function like how the heroes would. Plus they can be ignored and I am fine with that.

In a historical title my guess is that what you're getting with "heroes" is a better than average general that might have some unique abilities for improving your army/faction, maybe a quest or two to get them a special weapon, and they'll be strong in combat. Overall I think it's more interesting than having Generic Generals 1-5. I could understand being upset if they were going to give these guys dragons to ride on or magic spells but that's probably not the something we need to worry about.

The one thing they might include which I'm not a fan of is immortality for the Super Special guys.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
ya I remember there was a big post in one of the history threads, probably by you, about how much of a dick Liu Bei was

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Still super early but any one have any speculation on what DLC we might see? Nanman/Shanyue seem like an obvious choice, and Korea is on the map and there were some small scale campaigns there, some minor stuff with Xiongnu/nomads as well. Period is too early for Japanese pirates so I don't think we'll see that. Maybe it'll be more in the vein of Napoleon/Warhammer where they try smaller campaigns focused on specific regions? Say, a Red Cliff focused campaign or something?

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Hoping we get a Xiongnu/nomad style faction with this new DLC.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Obviously the Empress Jia is going to be hot

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
This is going to be easier to get into than Warhammer, but both are fantastic. I didn't think anything would top the Warhammer games for me but Three Kingdoms is amazing. I'd say if you're gonna start with one start with 3K. Mostly homogenous/realistic rosters will be more helpful when you're getting the hang of how a TW game works, and if you get the itch to play a game where dragons can go up against gunlines then maybe give Warhammer a shot after.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I haven't pulled the trigger on Yellow Turbans yet, but for bandits - Zhang Yan is actually the first campaign I ever won. He's easy mode because one of his faction's features is that they have a chance to ambush when initiating a battle, and once you've started leveling up generals it's virtually a guarantee. The difficulty is surviving the early game and not getting trapped in a bad situation, but that's the case with everyone. Once you get rolling it's pretty much just constantly massacring enemy armies in ambushes.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I'm liking Eight Princes so far but I find some of the mechanics to be irritating. Sima Liang is heavily penalized for expanding too quickly, Sima Wei seems to be penalized for not expanding fast enough. Seems like it's easy to have a bunch of disloyal generals too if you get too much Mind going which seems to happen to me fairly frequently without really trying to. These are minor irritants and sometimes I kind of like it since it makes each faction feel different even with mostly similar rosters, but I haven't been able to complete a campaign yet. Also the Jin Empire is way savvier than the Han is in the base game, which I like.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Beat an Eight Princes campaign finally. Sima Ying has a tough start but once you consolidate that area you can really start rolling.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I think 3K is great, it just doesn't have the same replay value as Warhammer and once I put ~150 hours into it I kind of lost interest. I'm sure I'll revisit it since I do that with the older titles I like the most (Rome 2, Shogun 2) from time to time, but I feel like I've kinda experienced everything it has to offer.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I mean, Three Kingdoms is definitely better than Shogun 2, but it also has the advantage of years of improvements and new mechanics that the series has made.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Hentai Jihadist posted:

Cao Cao v lu bu?

That's gonna be a very short and wet dlc

Yeah that seems like a weird one to make a DLC out of. I mean it's obviously all alt-history but the whole conflict was a stalemate that lasted like 3 months over a single province. Wondering how the timing of turns would work out. I assume they'll probably decrease the scope of the map drastically and split those commanderies up into multiple smaller provinces than they are on the big map. Make each turn the equivalent of 1 day or something

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Lance of Llanwyln posted:

Perhaps they mean a start-date? Would be weird otherwise: Cao Cao rather easily beat Lu Bu on the two occasions they actually met in battle(the second time resulting in Lu Bu's capture and execution).

Yeah that's true, the game starts in 190 and the Cao Cao and Lu Bu's conflict was in like 197. Not sure how much that really changes the map/faction make up beside Dong Zhuo obviously not being around. Although this is right around when Cao Cao really started his rise to power and was pals with the emperor, and it's pre-war with Yuan Shao. My guess is the real conflict for a DLC like that would be Cao Cao vs the Yuan clan, but pushing the start back to the tail end of Lu Bu's life/relevancy would allow them to keep him as an interesting faction.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
They should just do it Records vs Romance style where one version lets you play a campaign that's more historical and in the other version Achilles can solo armies by himself and you can recruit minotaurs and stuff.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Flavius Aetass posted:

Has anyone else noticed that Total War battles used to look like this in say, Rome 1, Medieval 2, Napoleon, etc.:

One side would start to break as they were outdisciplined or outflanked along a long line that would hold fairly constant until morale gives, then a rout.

Now every battle seems to devolve into this:

I feel like it's been getting worse since Shogun 2, which was the last game I remember having fairly coherent battles most of the time. Attila is especially bad about this.

What's the deal? Is it my imagination or confirmation bias, or did something fundamentally change?

I also suspect that the units became unrealistically fast, which contributes to this.

I mean yeah but I don't necessarily mind. Every battle being two lines of heavy infantry mushing into each other for 10 minutes until one side breaks gets stale. When things spread out I find it becomes more interesting overall. Usually there's still a "main" battle where the majority of your forces are tangled up and then a few side skirmishes going on. It spreads the fighting across the field and adds interesting variables. Maybe I'm winning the side battles but my main force is struggling. Am I going to be able to wrap up these side fights fast enough to arrive as reinforcements? Will they even make it in time? Can I pull one or two units out to reinforce my main army now and still win these side battles? stuff like that.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
eh, I'm kinda into it

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Right. Warhammer draws from all of those wells (mythology, generic fantasy, making up it's own stuff) and at it's core the setting is based around armies mashing into each other. It makes it hard to imagine another fantasy setting being as successful or interesting.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I keep the ancillaries that seem nice and sell the crappy ones to whatever rich rear end in a top hat kingdom is furthest away from me.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
enjoying mandate of heaven but I started as the Prince of Chen and it kinda felt like, there wasnt that much to do? I just kind of sat around for the first 20ish turns, not super engaging.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Romance/Records is personal preference. I like the duel system of Romance more than I like generals becoming extremely heavy cavalry in Records, but they both have their pros and cons.

For just starting back up I like Cao Cao in MoH. He starts without any lands and you run around doing different missions in service of the Han Empire, then you get a dilemma to either take new lands in Chen (where he starts in the base game) or you can take over your father's commandery in the south and expand down there. The former is relatively close to the front lines, the latter is very far away but has access to some great commanderies (swordsmiths, armorsmiths, etc). Liu Bei has a similar start in terms of being landless and doing missions to start, but he is right on the front lines when the Yellow Turban Rebellion breaks out so it can be tough. I haven't given the Emperor a real try yet but it seems interesting, you're essentially trying to hold the empire together despite extreme negative income and political schemers, but the imperial army will roll over anyone in battle. Yellow Turban start is also pretty fun. I had a hard time getting things off the ground in the one campaign I tried because the imperial factions just send stack after stack at you, but they're a nice change of pace from the other factions.

One thing I didn't realize the first time I played a campaign as a Han faction - when the empire is still alive you can declare a feud on other imperial factions. This allows you to go to war with them without leaving the empire/your other allies. I didn't pay attention to that the first go around and I ended up sitting around for like 20 turns until the empire fell apart.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Liu Biao's start is easy as hell. You start with a lucrative commerce-based city, there's only one yellow turban faction remotely near him when the mandate war triggers, his initial expansion guides you into Changsha which is a great commandery, and his initial enemy is a bunch of one-general armies of Looters which the other factions generally ignore. You can make up for him sucking at combat by hiring Guan Yu/Zhang Fei/Liu Bei if any of them have survived when Liu Bei inevitably gets wiped out in the the first few turns of the Mandate War

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
my biggest complaint about the DLC is I get excited early when it's like "ooh Zhang Ran and Kong Rong are available to recruit, that'll be a fun addition to my faction" and then a couple turns later a plot mechanic causes them to ditch me to start their own faction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Fuligin posted:

Always go straight for the replenishment upgrade in the military reforms, imo. That also has some bonuses to mustering speed.

In terms of speccing commanderies, you should go mostly off the element of their minor settlements

Yeah I usually go straight for this then the agriculture tree branch that leads to reduced retinue upkeep since you're basically already halfway there having done the military reforms already. You unlock some sturdier green units and I think another 2% replenishment on the way too.