Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Roma Surrectum is amazing if you are going to play as Rome. Any other faction play EB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

That's a screenshot from the original RTW though.

edit: drat

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

There is no way that a long term time period (Ancient Greece to the 19th century for example) would ever work with the gameplay mechanics of the franchise. Unless you intentionally played the campaign very gradually you would never get anywhere close to the endgame. The entire world would always be conquered by the Medieval era. The only way to avoid that problem would be to do away with the turn based system, otherwise you would need to make each turn something like 5 years which would be stupid.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jun 23, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Are any of the total overhaul mods for NTW good?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

After installing a mod you can still choose to play vanilla right? I don't know how the steam directories work. :(

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I think RTW 2 is going to sink or swim depending on how open modding is. Without a doubt far more so than the last few games anyway. Think about it, this is the first remake in the series of a highly modded game. People are so used to all of the incredible features that were introduced in the big RTW mods that not having them in the base game is going to be a shock.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I feel really badly for the CA employee who got roped into doing the Q/A on the twcenter.net forums.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Mans posted:

Remember how this was supposed to be an in-game trailer of the first game too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3y0tvky5Iw

To be fair, that does look at least a fair bit like how it ended up being. All the animations for example are exactly the same.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Let's see what the fine people at TWCenter have to say about the video.

quote:

Since it's pre alpha, I'll look over Shogun 2 soundbases.
Now, to what I won't look over

-The soundtrack sounded too epic, tune it down. Feels like watching Empire Total War battle, very boring because the music is out of place.

-Since it's pre-alpha, I can't say on this much, but I want all the buildings & walls to be destructible, no more invulnerable towers or gates.
-I like what I'm seeing at 9:32 - 9:38, been wanting this for a long time, but if it's only going to occur during tutorial mission, then it's best to remove it

-Tactical view? AXE IT!!!!! Eventually, new players who never know Total War will start asking for commanding armies in that view, I'd hate to see later Total War games allow you to control armies with "Tactical view". Make it an expanded version of the mini-map, having no idea what you're doing is part of the fun. After all, you want to humanize & add more visceral & hectic isn't it? Besides, it's 1 of the fundamentals why RTS is fun.

-Since you're planning with soldiers talking, why not adding remarks as an easter egg? Maybe, a cav. or a general or a leader will say something like "I used to be a footman like you, but then I took an arrow in the knee" when the footmen are nearby. Or better yet, run some kind of competition on the forums where people give ideas of snide or witty remarks to be used as an easter egg by the soldiers?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Asehujiko posted:

Didn't Rome have a button to throw a giant minimap in your face already? What are they complaining about?

The people at TWCenter complain about everything. EVERYTHING

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Oct 19, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

What's tragic is that CA has a presence at TWCenter and it's someones job to post stuff there. That poor bastard.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Cantorsdust posted:

What are the latest and greatest mods for Medieval 2? Still Stainless Steel? Are there any other contenders?

Stainless Steel and Third Age.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

az posted:

It's not like the Germans kicked the Romans asses or nothing, better include the Brits first :smug:

The Germans never kicked the Romans asses, that's mostly revisionist history from the rise of German nationalism. Prior to Teutoburg Forest the Romans literally drove two huge Germanic nations to extinction and post Teutoburg marched up and down Germany at will.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

az posted:

It's cute that you use a comedy post to launch into an angry attack on, I'm not really sure, history, Germans, reality?
I love how you gloss over the Teutoburg forest campaign, wedged between a "prior" and "post". It's not like the battle changed Imperial policy and stopped them from further attempts at pushing out the border to the Elbe as had been planned, not to mention destroying three entire Legions in one go, etc. pp.
But god am I glad we have you here to fight the good fight against German nationalism, we couldn't do it without fake history bullshit.

Jeez calm down it wasn't a personal attack so don't take it as such. The point is that, in actuality, Teutoburg really didn't change much. Historians have learned a lot about Roman history since the times of Gibbon.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Wait, why the gently caress is CA even limiting the game to 8 factions? I know DLC will inevitably flesh out more but I was expecting 12ish factions in vanilla and then a few more with DLC. I understand they don't want to have the copy/paste faction problem of RTW but it's not that hard to add in some individuality. Hire some spergs from twcenter, they would happily do it free of charge.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Its hilarious that EBII is still not even close to being released, its been in development for 5 loving years. At least! Its not surprising considering each of their progress updates is a 10 page long text dump about every single little historical detail they could find. And then eventually you get a few screenshots.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

SeanBeansShako posted:

I'm pretty sure the voice actors for Rome are Australians.

He's talking about the HBO show.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Fans have been calling for the city view mode to return since Medieval II. Do they not know this?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Warhammer

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Never EVER read the Vestigia Vetustatis forum on TWC.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

The problem is that the mass Barbarian tribe migrations occurred over 300 years after the games end date. Hopefully the game will emulate the Cimbri and Teutons at least.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

I would think the fact that even though its called "Rome Total War" having factions exist to keep the eastern factions from being to spread out would be a good enough reason. Playing The Seleucid in Vanilla was really boring, there wasn't to many threats and they were mostly on the Western Borders. Outside Parthia, which was laughably pathetic in Vanilla.

You mean you didn't enjoy the purple pajamas?

Azzural posted:

How would you figure the "flood of refugees" would work in game?

Like the Mongol invasion in Medieval

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Sober posted:

I find myself lucky that the TWC forums can't load on my browser for some reason. Has anyone there asked if they could extend the map all the way to China so they could trade with the Han dynasty?

I want my silk road damnit :colbert:

Ha

hahah

hahahahah you have no idea

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?593492-Final-Faction-Han-Dynasty

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Trujillo posted:

Pretty sure there was a ROTK mod for Rome but it probably wasn't very good.

A Han delegation was on its way to Rome at one point but the Parthians lied and said it would take years to get to Rome from Parthia so they turned around :cool:

Those Parthians were total assholes who robbed us all of potentially one of the most symbolically important events in history. :(

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

concerned mom posted:

Shouldn't those Pyramids be smooth :spergin:

The Great Pyramids were as ancient to the Romans as the Romans are to us. Blows your mind how loving old they are.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

That looks amazing but those ballistas are comically large.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

No one should ever download Darth Mod for any reason.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

PBJ posted:

Oh god, they have a white nationalist on the twc forums. Hahahahaha

Their politics/history forum has more than one unironic Nazi, Stalinist, and 3rd World Maoist.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

What is it going to take for one of the CA devs to just flip out on TWCenter? They've got to be so tempted.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I'm playing vanilla Rome 2 Emperor's Edition and is there a proper strategy for how regions should be set up? Should 1 province always be for farms, another market, and another recruitment? Or does it not really matter?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

So I've been playing vanilla Rome 2 as Rome and things have been going great as I've now conquered everything around the Mediterranean aside from Libya, Egypt, and Syria. It's 140 BC with the standard 1 turn per year and I still don't understand how politics work in this game at all. I control like half the senate I guess and the Civil War meter is empty. What does any of this poo poo mean? I haven't done any inter-family interactions. Meanwhile I'm making 20k gold per turn with 12 full stack legions so I'm doing something right.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

So is there some function in place in vanilla Rome 2 to bring on the Principate?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Yeah I'm just not doing any of the politics stuff because I really don't understand how the mechanics work.

I also don't understand why troop transport at sea takes longer than moving troops on land!

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Any "must have" mods for Napoleon?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

gently caress hero units.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

So has the general consensus settled on that this game is really good right out of the gate and isn't the complete broken mess that Rome 2 was at release? I never played the Warhammer games so I'm not sure how well CA did with those.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Very cool. Will make nearly decade old overclocked 2500k CPU cry out in pain with this? I'm looking at finally upgrading when the new Ryzen series comes out next month but I'm an impatient bastard.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Sydin posted:

I've only had two crashes, both of which happened on battle initiation just after I quick saved, and I have close to 100 hours in the game already. So it's way more stable than Rome 2.

I'm running the game on max settings (albeit, with a pretty beefy rig) and have only experienced performance issues on the save screen. No other part of the game lags at all. Not sure what GPU you have but if you're getting stuttering even on lower settings and you think it might be CPU bottlenecking, turn off/down shadows as I believe the engine CA is using still has CPU-dependent shadow rendering.

I have a GTX 980ti for 1080p so I'm good on that front.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Is there a consensus on the best Total Overhaul mid for Empire? Or should I just play Napoleon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Mantis42 posted:

It's Darthmod.

Mind giving me a bit of the Pros and Cons of it?