Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Does the merchant AI in Medieval II cheat or something? It seems like they can, with out fail, buyout all of my merchants regardless or rank, while my guys all get killed trying to buy-out theirs without fail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Rabhadh posted:

One of the reasons I never played Napoleon as much as the other games was I want to build my own empire, not have one handed to me like "here, fight amongst yourselves."

Yes, Im not the only one! Starting out with more than 2 or 3 territories always confuses me on what to do next for some reason.

Also, FOTS has the best sieges because you can just level the whole fort with armstrong guns and bombardment fire. :getin:

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

TW: Arena is pretty fun. I spent tonight just using germanicus with 2 swordsmans and 1 spearmans. I have had only one game that had any of my units survive to the end, which is just how I like it as shouting WITNESS ME when my forces tie up 6 other units and go down in a blaze of glory is fun, and if the rankings are any indication point effective

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

This discussion loving sucks, heres a better one: so whats peoples preferred strategies for dealing with infantry heavy forces?

I usually keep a unit of spears around, throw them into a defensive testudo and use them to soak the initial charge, then have my swords come out of hiding to drop a heavy charge on their flanks. Its not fool proof though, since if they're smart enough not to just charge all their units into one group they can manuever to cancel the charge

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah im talking about arena.

Going heavy on ranged seems liked itd be fun, but your pretty much relying on a melee guy deciding to defend you, and even then youd have to be pretty well coordinated to avoid the rampant friendly fire that causes me people to "accidently" let a unit of cavalry slam into your archers.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Sick. Medieval 2 was my favorite Total War game and having one without loving MERCHANT SPAM would be godly

also bring back the dude who did the soundtrack for medieval 2 and shogun 2, his poo poo owned bones

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

I have fun with it, but only when I play as Maratha and do massive reverse colonialism campaigns on europe.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

It worked alright in atilla, especially when seasickness was added in to transports were the most effective navy

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Sober posted:

The spergs on TWC wouldn't be able to fathom the amount of bloodshed from the boxer rebellion though. Or even know it existed.

The Taiping Rebellion would make a fantastic videogame. A fail bureaucrat has a vision that leads him to declare himself the spirutal brother of Jesus. End result?

22 million dead :unsmigghh:

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

oh my god his hood has little ears on it

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

I like the mod that adds in a playable roman migrator state to the main campaign. Lets you mess around with roman units and build a state from the ground up.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Total war of the 3 kingdoms pls

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

the next game should just be 19th century total war that has no grand campaign, just a bunch of smaller ones about wars from the period that have been polished to mirror sheen.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

got board with warhams, started a playthough of fall of the samurai.

Goddamn i forgot how good this game is. Planning on going independent come realm divide. Was gonna take my time, but a neighboring domain has gone absolutely buck wild so now were stuck in a shogunate fueled race down the a main island, gobbling up as many minors as I can so im not completly overwhelmed come realm divide. Might actually research and build improved defenses this time, im kind of curious how ridiculous gun batteries are.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Generation Internet posted:

I broke the game over my knee in FotS for the first time in any Total War and it was the best, income high enough for star forts and gun batteries everywhere plus gold accuracy armies murdering everything. It was on Very Hard/Very Hard and I had a few false starts so getting to that stage was fantastic.

Yeah, im reaching the skyrocketing economy stage. The only reason I didn't hit it earlier was due to only having one trade good to export. Fortunately the nagoka or whatevers commerce bonus combined with the gold and silver mines i have will fill in the slack decently enough. Only limit i have right now is that I do all my recruiting from one city because it has a gunsmith and im currently putting in a training camp :getin:

edit: now that I think about it not having all my income come from trade is good since it means I can ignore the million trade route raiders that will inevitably show up

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

There is absolutely nothing worse than shogun 2 naval battles. Is there a mod to remove/make better? I couldn't find one. I'm tired of having to battle out at 3x speed otherwise the autoresolve will murder my nubian trade ships. I'd be happy with a 100% autowin via autoresolve as that's where this particular game is.

shogun 2 naval battles are the poo poo though. A shame the AI is bad at research, the moment you get exploding shells it becomes a matter of not if you when, but how quickly as the AI never builds armored ships it seems.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

In fots or am I missing something I'm the base?

Yeah, fots for auto corrected or something

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

ty whoever recommended oriental empires, drat good game aside from some glaring issues with the AI.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Mans posted:

Mods fixed most of the annoying mechanics so yeah, it's a solid game now.

They should have retrofited Atilla's mechanics into it though.

or at least the offline bulding tree. i for one love waiting for a buildings details to load over and over an :suicide:

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

New Butt Order posted:

I can only comment on playing as Belisarius, but I loved it. You're forced into using horde mechanics unless you choose to betray Justinian, and so you're consistently short on men and cash, and forced to deal with problems on multiple fronts while getting dicked around by Palace politics. It's a very unique take from the usual map painting. I can see how that wouldn't be popular with other players though.

Atilla is honestly a pretty different game in terms on tone compared to others. its "the world is poo poo, survive. if your lucky maybe make an empire" theme deffo wont sit well for everyone

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

SeanBeansShako posted:

Blow up some desert, lure them into a hole and start shooting.

the victory screen for the union is footage of all those confederate memorials getting taken down

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

you could also capture artillery in Fall of the Samurai

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

But then we wouldn't be able to yell about reloading animations being removed from Empire handgunners in Warhammer.

Give me a cleaned up medieval 2 system with wasd controls and better unit pathing.

reduce the number of agents and im down

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

SeanBeansShako posted:

I find myself desperately checking Mod DB for that long awaited Imperial Splendour update :smith:

Same. I messed around with morocco and raiding egypt with small, stealthy cavalry raider groups is stupidly fun. A shame all the new minor european powers seem to have wierd empty artillery units that make recruiting a pain or id still be playing it.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

oh man, rome 2 without the fukken encyclopedia. sooooo good

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Klaus88 posted:

I downloaded DEI and fiddled around with it for a bit and thought of several different things that could be said about it. I'll settle for this, its somehow less intuitive then a TW2, a game that has lizard people, rat people, two variants of elves, loving magic, and a campaign where each faction has its own little gimmick. Jimmy Christmas, how can you be so obtuse?

Things I like: The reform system

Things I dont like: lmao

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Gonkish posted:

DEI is what happens when you let TWCenter dictate gameplay changes. Obtuse, clunky mechanics that really only serve to punish the player for wanting to have fun rather than jerk off to caligae or whatever it is the grogs are into now.

im torn between what my least favorite part of the mod is, the supply system that makes it so that if you garrison an army near a city and have the wrong supply system your oppenents can literally starve you out from the other side of the province or just the stupid loving unit names. No i dont loving care whats greek for "royal armored falxman" just call it a loving falxmans

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Download a submod that changes the names to English ones? I actually like the defaults because then I can pretend I'm learning something.

i just being hard on it. truthfully i only messed around with it a little bit before the lack of building tables in rome 2 annoyed me, hopefully when they update it for the new mod they can change those to reflect all the new buildings and ill have more motivation to search around the submods. Maybe for one that just strips it down to the reform system and the added cultures.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

Are you really whining about having to learn two additional words.

yes :dealwithit:

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

Then don't play them.

That spergyness is half the fun and if you don't like them then what if the point.

figuring out if mods are bad requires playing them. critiquing them afterwards is fun

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

ZearothK posted:

I am not calling the historical game bad, bad. Its battles - specially Rome 2 - just end up being very repetitive. I've been doing basic hammer and anvil since Rome: Total War, and Total Hammer added a huge variety to that formula, and has a better BAI to fight compared to the historical titles. The point is that even though the Politics & Power update adds an apparently interesting and very much in-demand mechanic to the strategic layer, Rome 2's battles are just routine after the spectacle in the fantasy games.

What is specially curious is that I didn't have the same feeling when coming back to Attila after Total Hammer. I guess I enjoy its battle pacing more or something.

what factions are you playing as in rome 2? My favorite faction is the thracian one because your only spear man unit is poo poo and since your main infantry unit is a falxman who will gently caress poo poo up but then break down quickly in prolonged combat and your toughest melee unit are peletasts so you wind up using different kinds of tactics compared to armies with hoplites n poo poo

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Rookersh posted:

Odyrsian Kingdom is probably the best campaign CA has ever done, because you HAVE to relearn everything you know about Total War to beat that campaign even on Normal, let alone on Hard or Very Hard.

it also highlights one of my biggest issues with Rome 2, namely that my dudes start out in straw huts and stay in straw huts forever dispite researching a tech thats literally called "hellenization"

my favorite part of attila was the feeling that your society was literally transforming as you worked your way up the tech tree and i hope they can back port that to rome 2

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Rookersh posted:

I think if they were to do Empire again, I'd want them to go all out rather then just focusing on Europe.

I'd want an Empire game with North/South America, Europe, all of Africa, all of the Middle East, India, China, Russia, Japan. gently caress it, add Australia in.

Go the full distance or don't bother.

also make it possible to play as the native american tribes. hey hey hey force whitey off the continent every day :getin:

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

GrossMurpel posted:

But you can though? There was that thing to make minors playable, no?

only really tried impearial splendour, but that doesnt have the native tribes if i remember right. And unlocker could work, but the factions would have like 5 units each and would be unfun to play as.

otherwise theres that ex pack but that one is jank as hell

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

StashAugustine posted:

Naval combat is theoretically cool for the strategic implications but it sucks in practice

it worked in empire, mostly because you could have fewer ships in a fleet so it made micro easier

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

the nomad factions got screwed by roster and mechanics. Hey you get horse archers neat. The parthians get horse archers, armored horse archers, foot archers, lancers, all sorts of angry people.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Gobblecoque posted:

A dream feature for future historical TW titles would be a bit of cultural melding depending on where you are and what you conquer. Like if you're a Germanic tribe and conquer a bunch of the Mediterranean then maybe you adopt some Roman/Greek architecture and armor instead of just all mudhuts and naked dudes all the time or if you conquer eastwards then your regular recruitment roster expands to include cataphracts or horse archers. It's always very unsatisfying in a TW game where you can conquer half the world but your civilization is as unchanged as if you had just stayed in your homeland the whole time.

Agreed, its even more egrarious when you have a tech literally called hellenization and it does nothing. Its why I like Attila, it feels like your society has evolved by the end of the game.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Davincie posted:

hes doing musou moves in that trailer, he definitely will be

wonder how many dynasty warriors references they'll be able to sneak in

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

that part about river boats is interesting. As far as i know water combat was basically the boats acting as platforms for guys to fight on with fire being a major factor. seems like they might just have transports as the only real river boats so land armies=naval forces

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

this games gonna give me sooo many rad as gently caress kessen 2 flashbacks, i cannot wait.