Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I'd advise against buying NTW now. The Summer Sale is soon and it's been 75% off before I'm sure.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-05-30-exclusive-total-war-announcement-at-rezzed

Next Total War announcement on July 6th :holy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

I already auto-resolve battles in TW unless the RNG is being retarded/this is must-win and I need to do it myself.

Paradox should play to their strengths and not mess with the good thing they have.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Gobblecoque posted:

Good lord, why are the guys behind Total War so utterly terrible at implementing diplomacy? I just had to watch one of my vassal factions in FOTS get wiped out because the invading faction was an ally of mine and at war with the vassal before it became my vassal. I mean, I know it's supposed to be total war all the time, but an option to broker peace between other factions would solve so many diplomatic clusterfucks.

As Imperial, I vassalized a civ in FOTS who was Shogunate.

He rebelled the next turn. I keep kicking his rear end and vassalizing him and I get mad dishonor from attacking vassals.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Doing a Nagaoka Republic run.

Trying to get my ducks in a row but I have a couple vassals behind my front and I want them gone. I used a revolt to flip Odawara, but Fukushima and another one in the north, forget it. Rebel units suck late game and the provinces are so large in the north they just gently caress around and never commit. I'm tempted to just break the treaties and have at it since everyone is gonna hate me anyway at RD, but I wasted an entire in game year and let people tech up, so I might just restart.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Finished that Republic of Nagoaka run. It was a fun slugging match, but when I was leapfrogging around Choshu the normal difficulty became pretty apparent since there was no aggression.

I can't believe this game is like 8 years old now.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

I’m not preordering poo poo after I got burned in Rome 2

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

This is the second time too.

But at least they’re owning up to it instead of releasing and patching it later.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

KPC_Mammon posted:

Actually dragging siege equipment halfway across China seems insane to me.

You dare question the Long March :commissar:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

I have a goodly bit of territory as Cao Cao.

But I only have like 3 characters plus retinues in play for a wide swath of territory and I feel pretty exposed and spread thin. The AI would probably punish me for this if I wasn't playing on normal.

Is this how you're supposed to play? It's year 201. I could afford at least one more guy but that's about it.

Edit: It seems I can swap guys out with their armies for a bit of gold. Should I just have guys chilling in the bullpen until I need them and then mobilize in response to a threat or opportunity?

skooma512 fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Sep 2, 2019

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Paradox style would be best but I'm happy with what we ended up with and hope there's more to come for the main campaign.

I'm not too familiar with Chinese history unfortunately, but I hope they do some time jump DLC like FOTS or BI. Maybe dealing with the Jurchen/Mongol business? Maybe something around the Ming period? Oooh, what about the Imjin Wars?

Although the time period the game is in now is probably the most hot period in terms of good TW setups.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

WrightOfWay posted:

I haven't played a Total War game since Shogun 2. Since there's a sale going on right now, how have the historical games since then turned out?

Shogun 2 good

Shogun 2 FOTS good

Rome 2 bad

Attila better but still fruit of the poison tree.

Thrones of Britannia bad

Three Kingdoms good.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

M2TW has a nasty bug/feature where anyone near you will automatically just want to DOW even if you're a doomblob and they have 2 provinces and couldn't possibly do any damage to you.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You could make a train of units and pass an army through it?

Hands across Nippon

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Started a Sun Jian run in Mandate so maybe I could finally actually finish a game of 3K.

Mostly just sat around capturing empty lands in the south and being carebear, which is a great thing to do with a guy that incentivizes aggressiveness. The game kept suggesting I drop the difficulty even though nothing was going on. Any tips on what I should do after the the looters are taken care of?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Verviticus posted:

how is the mandate war going

There’s a mandate war?

Lol. I’m too far south. The green guys are winning

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

I think I finally got the hang of 3K. It took like 40 hours and a start guide though lol.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Qubee posted:

Brief synopsis of your findings? I'm playing as Liu Bei and have a vast swathe of land but my economy is poo poo (1,000 a turn) and I am only fielding one full army and 2 small armies. If I were to get into a war, I'd have my lands slowly chipped away and would be too slow and weak to properly rebuff any attacks.

I'm just spending the next 20 turns chilling and upgrading my economy so I can start fielding more armies. I want two that purely stay in home territory to garrison it, and two that go farther afield to raid / pillage / conquer.

* Use and abuse the recall system. Do not sit on armies that aren't doing anything, bench them until you need them. They don't cost any maintenance when in the bullpen, which is huge.

* The economy gameplay is all about creating synergies between your outposts and main city. If you have a port, you better have the commerce support building. These add up to big bucks over time.

The recall system was the hardest for me to internalize because I'm an old TW player and not having armies lying around was anathema. You don't need to garrison armies on your territory as a going concern, the cities have sizable ones built in already and you can just call someone out the bullpen to defend or counterattack.You also should not be doing a Long March with all your armies and making them hoof it all over the map, bench them and recall them, distance is not a factor(AFAIK, I've only played normal romance so far, Records and Hard might be different). An idle army is dead cash, a traveling army is dead cash. Remember that they do not cost any maint in the bullpen, that goes in your pocket to recall them later or invest in your economy. This was the difference between me getting to 210AD with loving nothing to show for it and me beating a campaign.

If you learn anything from this it's to make the recall system your friend.

As for the econ, pay attention to what the province has and specialize. Got a trade port? Build commerce. Food? Get the one that buffs food production. Got your commerce province set up? Make someone with good commerce buff the administrator. Don't just build, think about it.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Yeah that's true, there is a balance to be struck. I guess it slipped my mind since my last game I long marched to Shanghai as Cao Cao and established myself there, so nobody DOWs me really because no one was around.

And then by mid game I was always at war with someone so I always had armies deployed anyway.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

FOTS is indeed a blast, my monster Nagaoka Ezo Republic Grand campaign I did last winter is probably one of the top 3 TW experiences for me.

Empire is good in that you take an Indian civilization and conquer Britain. Hit exterminate on every capture and be BFFs with Ireland :getin:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Yeah with the end game I just used the river to capture a little province nearby Baxi to use as a spawn point, jumped a bunch of guys in and new lines right for Baxi, which was the Shu Han capital. AI was riding to stop me but there was no way they could catch me. The AI at least on normal hasn’t grokked the recall system, so taking their capital was a piece of cake, campaign in the book.

alex314 posted:

dude was commanding an army in process of ethnic cleansing non-Han people on their western lands that got rebellious. There was even a comparison between him and Julius Caesar's legions returning from Gaul.

2000 years later, same poo poo different flies

skooma512 fucked around with this message at 23:27 on May 4, 2020

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Davincie posted:

what is your opinion on the uyghur camps?

That's kind of what I was driving at, don't know how we got to Hong Kong.

It's also kind of weird to be called a sinophobe... when I have a Chinese surname. I'm not Chinese AFAIK, but I imagine my ancestors in northern Korea went back and forth over the ages.

Like there's no love lost between me and the CCP, but I don't have beef with Chinese people in general. If I did, why the gently caress would I be playing a game about their history and stories?

Jeremor posted:

Guys stop being mean to the totalitarian fascist regime come on

And instead tell me which of these video game men to play as first? I really suck at this game's strategic layer

Edit: 3 kingdoms, I mean.

People are saying Sun Jian and I agree. The caveat is to not turtle in the south too much as his special resource is gained by fighting. You need to be fighting on a regular basis or you are going to have problems. I've run into issues when I'm too much of a carebear and don't fight enough and end up in kind of a failure spiral as you get penalized for letting that resource drop too much.

Cao Cao is also easy BUT I recommend walking away from Chen entirely and getting that province that's south of IIRC modern Shanghai. There isn't many strong enemies down there so you can get a foothold. Eventually someone will take Chen from you but whatever you'll get it back later and rice is the best crop in the game and that's only in the south.

Always play to your strengths in this game. Cao Cao is big on food bonuses, so he really shines in the south. Sun Jian mercenaries are great for spawning big armies fast that you disband afterward.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

For Sun Jian you probably want the techs that boost commerce since he has a trade port in his home province and the southern coasts all to himself pretty much.

What you need is going to depend on your situation. When in doubt, a little extra money or food never hurts.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Dramicus posted:

https://www.totalwar.com/blog/total-war-elysium-closed-beta-faq/

CA is going to make a hearthstone except you play as Pontus.

Are they loving serious?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

The Cheshire Cat posted:

The food economy in 3K is very weird because on the one hand the AI seems to highly value food as a trade resource when you offer it to them, but on the other hand it seems to view all its own food production provinces as "this old thing? Sure you can have it I guess"

And I wouldn't be surprised if the AI's food deficit penalties are either diminished or not calculated at all. I see these guys going -10 like it's cool and nothing feels any different when dealing with them

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

It's so good. I had two turncoats against yuan shao. When the time came for the big setpiece battle two of the generals defected with their retinues as reinforcements. Its like something straight out of the ROTK novel :v:

I flipped an army that was right next to a city I wanted and used them to tip the balance.

I do like how the agent system is folded into the character system and you can use pretty much anyone for anything. I also don't have to move a zillion of the little bastards around the map all the time.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Flipswitch posted:

Any tips on playing Zheng Jiang on 3Kingdoms? I'm not usually very good at playing aggressively in strategy games, especially 4x ones!

I started off pacifying the areas to my south with the remainder being the Han city on the edge of the river, I allied quickly with the Bandits to my east but have sort of floundered unsure on how to edge out from here. Yuan Shao keeps hiring me to attack Yellow Turbans or the Han which gives me some targets. I'm wondering if stabbing the other bandits in the back would give me some more breathing room to expand.

Yeah kill Zhang Yan first thing so you don't have to deal with him, especially since Han isn't aggressive at all.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

lurksion posted:

Warhams2 and 3K are already denuvoed up

Am I the only one who's never had an issue with Denuvo?

Like, I don't love the implications, but it's not Starforce.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Washin Tong posted:

CA make the game but the Confederacy is completely unplayable.

Alternative: playable but remove all identifying colors, landmarks or flags, rename them "Opposing Force".

Watch the chaos ensue.

Call them GRAYFOR

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

zetamind2000 posted:

Finally, a game where you can play as the Hittites that isn't Age of Empires or Civilization

Old World has them, and you have to interact with their culture on a slightly more than a cursory level like the above because they had to model factions/families.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

I thought I wouldn't like Troy but it's grown on me, and I expect Pharoah to be the same if not better.

The other resources do shake up diplomacy a bit since it's not all about gold and I have a reason to talk to everyone since some will have surpluses and some will have shortages. In every other TW game I don't talk to nobody unless it's to declare war or peace or shake them down for some gold.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

I'm playing Attila and yeah I get annoyed when a whole squad of agents comes out of the fog.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

alex314 posted:

What the hell, Guan Yu? No wonder Triads like you so much!

Honestly no idea what happened, it was regular battle.

Baby got brought to the battle
Baby he the realest
Baby probably got a couple million
Baby hang with four or five killers
Baby got children, Baby probably still drug dealin

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

One of my favorite memories of winter 2018 is doing a Nagaoka Republic run on FOTS while zooted on a weed vape. It was a steamroll though, and not just because of the steam engines. I was just walking 3 armies down the Japanese mainland which basically formed a lane and wrecking everything with sheer mass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Jamsque posted:

People always say this and I always don't believe them. I do own Shogun II, maybe I will try it one of these days.

Get it next sale, they’re telling the truth

Although idk how I feel about off map artillery in the 1870s. I get that it’s a game but it feels weird to have it and just made me think of radio calls to adjust fire.